• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Thanks. Done. Hopefully it works... I will check in about an hour or so. The time left went from 40:20 to 40:37 since the last comment I posted. Shit's ridiculous.

Also, would it work if I delete Knack and download it again? I assume the save file will stay intact, obviously.. right?

Edit: Well, just saw the comment above. Gotcha.

there is no difference between running and standby. if you have another game just play that while Knack downloads. JP servers are obviously getting slammed.

Oersted

Are you a Japanese expert? It seems like your just projecting your views to the entire Japanese population of gamers.

Its true SCEWWS has created a lot more Western franchises and its clear to see why since the West is a far larger market but it must be noted SCEJ didn't have a particularly great output during PS2 either.

Not even the Wii and DS during holidays could match the PS2 launch.

Sorry, but no. We have lots of pieces like these ones

http://kotaku.com/5960411/how-sony-is-turning-into-a-ghost-in-japan-and-around-the-world

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/...-4-in-its-homeland-japanese-gamers-not-happy/

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.06/sony_pr.html

And we had couple of Gaffers making such statements.

wotta

Don't you think we should wait until Wednesday and find out. Sony was reporting big pre-order numbers, so like someone else says, the stock in store could just be extra and from what we've heard here some people are buying them. Pretty sure the console will sell out before Wednesday.

Mik2121

there is no difference between running and standby. if you have another game just play that while Knack downloads. JP servers are obviously getting slammed.

Right now I only have Resogun and Warframe besides Knack. I'm receiving Killzone from Amazon on Monday and I might get Tomb Raider.

Elios83

It will be really interesting to see the first sell through numbers.
Maybe Famitsu might report something on monday. Anedoctal evidence is useless with no context behind.

Don't you think we should wait until Wednesday and find out. Sony was reporting big pre-order numbers, so like someone else says, the stock in store could just be extra and from what we've heard here some people are buying them. Pretty sure the console will sell out before Wednesday.

Soft demand reflects a picture of what it'll look like for subsequent weekly sales.

Even if launch itself is very successful, the real concern is how the install base will grow throughout 2014. It's very unlikely that 2014 will deliver any big Japanese killer-app, with the possible exception of Winning Eleven, and even then, it's far more likely that we'll see a repeat of what happened during the transition from PSP->Vita, where PSP sales still outsold Vita in the first year.

wotta

Japan’s most wanted games paint a decent picture for PS4 and Vita. Also the fact that PS3 features a lot proves that console still has a role in Japan.

01/01. [PS3] Persona 5 (Atlus, Winter 2014) – 562 votes
02/03. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 549 votes
03/02. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, TBA) – 470 votes
04/04. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 (Tecmo Koei, 03/20/14) – 371 votes
05/05. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix, TBA) – 272 votes
06/15. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, TBA) – 257 votes
07/06. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus, 06/05/14) – 244 votes
08/08. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-Hen (Namco Bandai, 04/10/14) – 242 votes
09/16. [Wii U] Hyrule Warriors (Nintendo, 2014) – 236 votes
10/09. [PS3] The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, 2014) – 228 votes
11/27. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, Fall 2014) – 215 votes
12/07. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Namco Bandai, TBA) – 205 votes
13/12. [Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, 2014) – 184 votes
14/24. [3DS] New Love Plus+ (Konami, 03/27/14) – 183 votes
15/28. [3DS] Game Center CX 3-Chome no Arino (Namco Banai, 03/20/14) – 175 votes
16/10. [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 173 votes
17/11. [PS3] Dark Souls II (From Software, 03/13/14) – 172 votes
18/17. [PSV] Freedom Wars (SCEJ, Summer 2014) – 171 votes
19/19. [PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, 2014) – 167 votes
20/22. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 2014) – 166 votes
21/21. [PS3] The Last Remnant (Square Enix, lolnever) – 159 votes
22/13. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Tsunagaru Shin Tenchi (Marvelous AQL, 02/27/14) – 146 votes
23/18. [PS4] The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, 2014) – 141 votes
24/23. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 136 votes
25/26. [3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (Marvelous AQL, 08/07/14) – 135 votes
26/20. [3DS] Bravely Second (Square Enix, TBA) – 127 votes
27/29. [PS3] The Last Guardian (SCEJ, TBA) – 120 votes
28/25. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice Delta (SCEJ, 03/06/14) – 103 votes
29/14. [PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (Sega, 03/27/14) – 98 votes
30/—. [PSV] Over My Dead Body 2 (SCEJ, Summer 2014) – 97 votes

Via Getmasu (via Famitsu.

To the fine people who were calling me out yesterday being a liar and such, based on my profile location set to Germany (seriously now?) and for the fact I didn't post my impressions immediately but 14 hours later at 2am local time:

Yesterday lunchtime:

img_68952td6t.jpg

img_6896tif1r.jpg

img_68985ac13.jpg

img_68992wi4w.jpg

img_6900egi1q.jpg

img_6901api6q.jpg

img_6902uhdj9.jpg

img_690342djo.jpg

Today at around 6:30 pm after work:

Went to Mandarake to buy some Manga and found a used PS4 for 3000 Yen less.

m0t0k1

To the fine people who were calling me out yesterday being a liar and such, based on my profile location set to Germany (seriously now?) and for the fact I didn't post my impressions immediately but 14 hours later at 2am local time:

Yesterday lunchtime:

I still love you :) thanks to you we can confirm another 4 ps4's sold

4=shi
shi=dead
dead= ps4 doomed
jk

in other words lets wait for the media create en famitsu numbers before passing judgement. Hope to see more pictures from other people.

Lacrus

Yesterday lunchtime:

looks like more then 48 PS4 were sold based on what im seeing

Neff

It's only been a day, and we don't have figures, just anecdotes without supply context. If weekly sales are low, then I might agree. But anything near 300k would be good looking at previous launches, the current state of the JP industry and the non-holiday launch.

Sony really missed the chance to give PS4 to Japan when it was fresh and new. The 'lines around the block' phenomenon in Japan hinges on the excitement of participation in a trendsetting event. The rest of the world getting it 3 months ago kind of kills the thrill of that. They could have had a lot more impulse buyers jumping in and establishing a foothold for the platform, regardless of the lack of commercially-headlining software, instead of having it sit on shelves. I think in time that Sony will come to see it as a wasted opportunity, even though they were better able to placate US/EU demand.

That must have been stealthy, or they must have lightened up on camera use in recent years. They didn't permit snaps in-store when I was last there.

Calibus

Why on Earth would anyone trade in a system this soon after launch? Consoles are long-term investments. Even if games that interest you are few and far between, hang on to the system until more games you want come out.

gembel

Why on Earth would anyone trade in a system this soon after launch? Consoles are long-term investments. Even if games that interest you are few and far between, hang on to the system until more games you want come out.

unwanted gift, won from lottery etc

Walked into the local electronics shop today after work and got a PS4 with no problems at all--and there were plenty more where that came from. Certainly no giant lines here in suburban Japan.

Defintely not.

It would have to beat PS2's 630k. Definitely not happening.

Thought to be fair most other console launches, even in Japan happen during the holiday season and not February.

Which just shows what a monster PS2 was since it launch in march but yeah not coming out during holiday season is going to hurt it .
Still at the end of the day it was good call since NA \ EU more important

Off topic children not being born don't make it any easier also.

I still love you :) thanks to you we can confirm another 4 ps4's sold

4=shi
shi=dead
dead= ps4 doomed
jk

in other words lets wait for the media create en famitsu numbers before passing judgement. Hope to see more pictures from other people.
Seriously tho, to quote myself:
Went to Yodobashi Camera here in Fukuoka today during lunchtime and shelves are still full of launch day preorder systems. Also, after work, nobody in line or I just didn't see them. I would be actually surprised if the system sells well here.
It amazes me how and how fast people jump the gun on someone, just because evidence isn't delivered immediately. People try to bring in some local impressions and get called out for it. Literally shaking my head.

That must have been stealthy, or they must have lightened up on camera use in recent years. They didn't permit snaps in-store when I was last there.
It was stealthy, that's why the photo kind of sucks. Funny enough, 10 minutes later an employee started talking to me all of a sudden and I was just like .oO( How in the...?!). He actually noticed that I come every once in a while to buy some subculture genre manga, which seem not to be that popular at that Mandarake. So we talked 30 mins, exchanged business cards and I went back home with Satoshi Kon's first manga. On top of that I scored some extra privileges at the store :D.

Cornbread78

Such a bleek picture being drawn in here, hopefully sales increase once more games come out, I was hoping it would be a hit, so we might get more and better jrpgs this gen. It's way too early to tell, but damn...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really disappointing to see these results as I was really hoping we'd see more attempts from Japan this generation. Coming to grips with modern graphics hardware was difficult for a lot of developers but it seems as many of those teams have finally figured it all out.

It's really disappointing to see these results as I was really hoping we'd see more attempts from Japan this generation. Coming to grips with modern graphics hardware was difficult for a lot of developers but it seems as many of those teams have finally figured it all out.

They've figured it out.

So they're applying it for the PS3.

The difference is a matter of videogame culture.
Videogames where quite popular in Japan for what they truly are, and they buy consoles based on they catalogue of games (this is why N3DS only started to sell in huge quantities after the killer-trio was launched). PS4 is maybe Sony's most westernized console, so it's only logical that it's launch isn't as big as it has been on the west.

On the other hand, in the west only the "freaks" played videogames for what they were. Videogames only became something relevant when CG graphics allowed for more cinematic experiences, and recently when the interface had changed enough (games controlled through movements) to offer a more "interactive" approach.

All in all, it's traditional gamers vs hardcore experiencers. We gamers are a tiny minority on the west, to the point where even Nintendo games (the biggest company that still hasn't gone through the "graphic's first" philosophy) are judged based on "the dark atmosphere" or "the vibrant colours" more than for what they're in terms of gameplay (game-what? ).

I presume than both the sales of the PS4 and the WiiU will rise dramatically once more quality games from more varied audiences start to release. Time will tell.

UberTag

Such a bleek picture being drawn in here, hopefully sales increase once more games come out, I was hoping it would be a hit, so we might get more and better jrpgs this gen. It's way too early to tell, but damn...
We'll have plenty of great JRPGs to enjoy over the next several years.
They just won't be on PS4.
They'll be on PS3, 3DS and Vita. (And when X comes out, the Wii U will have one too.)
Japanese developers aren't equipped to support the PS4 even if it did sell out cuckoo bananas on the strength of a library of Western titles.

What JRPG enthusiasts should be doing is rallying around great titles and series that remain criminally overlooked.
Regardless of what platform they happen to be on to continue to boost their exposure.

FiggyCal

Banned
They'll be on PS3, 3DS and Vita. (And when X comes out, the Wii U will have one too.)
Japanese developers aren't equipped to support the PS4 even if it did sell out cuckoo bananas on the strength of a library of Western titles.

What JRPG enthusiasts should be doing is rallying around great titles and series that remain criminally overlooked.
Regardless of what platform they happen to be on to continue to boost their exposure.

You're getting way ahead of yourself. It's only been 1 day.

m0t0k1

It amazes me how and how fast people jump the gun on someone, just because evidence isn't delivered immediately. People try to bring in some local impressions and get called out for it. Literally shaking my head.

I never did judge you i didnt even see what you posted before. I was only happy to see somebody post pictures. I don't even need evidence of ps4 selling good or bad i am just interested in seeing local game stores since in my town we dont even have one. Only have big stores like media markt with game sections. and toy stores with a small selection of games really hate that only the so called tripple A games are there. I always have to go online to see the games i am actually interested in.

RexNovis

Banned
Just checked the Yodabashi Camera in my city in Fukushima again and they only had one PS4 bundle(camera+knack) and 2 unbundled PS4s left. So it looks like they are still selling here. Just a LOT slower than I first expected.

UberTag

Isn't it easier to develop on the PS4 than the PS3?
Easier does not equate to cheaper.
Also, when people make that statement they're referring to the PS4 being easier to develop for NOW in 2014 than the PS3 was to develop for back in 2006.
It's no longer 2006 where PS3 development is concerned.

Mik2121

I was on that same Yodobashi this morning and when I was waiting we were about 20 first, then close to 50 and a friend of mine arrived late so another friend and I waited for him. We saw some other 20 people at least in line after most of the people we lined with was already gone, so probably around 70 people had preordered I assume. Also they had consoles behind the counter so maybe they were giving those first?

Also you had work today? Such nice weather outside for once...

Hope sales pick up in japan but i am glad Sony gave Europe 2nd priority with PS4. Thank goodness there was not a 6 month delay like the PS3.

test_account

XP-39C²

I think it was mostly because they thought you ment that the store was full of launch day pre-order systems, as in actual PS4s, not just the opportunity to place a pre-order. It wouldnt be strange that the stores would still have actual system on shelf (or in the back of the counter) when the PS4 hadnt launched yet. But its probably just a misunderstanding, i guess you were only referring to be able to still pre-order a PS4 when you checked in your lunchtime.

Thanks for the pictures by the way =)

I never did judge you i didnt even see what you posted before. I was only happy to see somebody post pictures. I don't even need evidence of ps4 selling good or bad i am just interested in seeing local game stores since in my town we dont even have one. Only have big stores like media markt with game sections. and toy stores with a small selection of games really hate that only the so called tripple A games are there. I always have to go online to see the games i am actually interested in.
I know and I'm sorry if you were under the impression I did. I appreciate the interest, thanks!

I was on that same Yodobashi this morning and when I was waiting we were about 20 first, then close to 50 and a friend of mine arrived late so another friend and I waited for him. We saw some other 20 people at least in line after most of the people we lined with was already gone, so probably around 70 people had preordered I assume. Also they had consoles behind the counter so maybe they were giving those first?

Also you had work today? Such nice weather outside for once...
Well, preorders have been really slow and as for launch day it was even less than I expected. Yeah, we had a seminar at our office today from 8:30 am until 6 pm, which was actually really fun, since my boss is a really open-minded guy which is totally not like other japanese shacho's lol. So usually I don't work on the weekend and I'm kind of very happy about that especially the last two months working from 8:30 am until 9 pm every weekday straight - but just until the end of March. Then it's back to normal (6 pm) again.

I think it was mostly because they thought you ment that the store was full of launch day pre-order systems, as in actual PS4s, not just the opportunity to place a pre-order. It wouldnt be strange that the stores would still have actual system on shelf (or in the back of the counter) when the PS4 hadnt launched yet. But its probably just a misunderstand, i guess you were only referring to be able to still pre-order a PS4 when you checked in your lunchtime.
That's basically what I was trying to say, thank you.

FiggyCal

Banned
Ps3's first week sales was 81.6k; the PS4 doesn't have much to beat. On the other hand, Wii U did 320k and look at its sales now.

Japanese developers are equipped they just really slow at moving on .
Take GUST for eg they would have no problem moving to PS4 and there are a small company .
It's not that they don't have the knowledge , skill or money they just really slow and most have no foresight .

Also if you want to look at cost PS4 might just be cheaper for them to work on since there game don't push gfx.

m0t0k1

I know and I'm sorry if you were under the impression I did. I appreciate the interest, thanks!

No i didn't think it the bad way but just for clarification that i commented on that :) But i know how gaf can attack anything they don;t know a thing about. Those pics should be enough to think twice about judging. Also hope some japanese developers will go on board on ps4 because sadly there isn't much interesting for me that i can't play on my pc.

Easier does not equate to cheaper.
Also, when people make that statement they're referring to the PS4 being easier to develop for NOW in 2014 than the PS3 was to develop for back in 2006.
It's no longer 2006 where PS3 development is concerned.

Even if it's the same cost to develop, we've heard time and time again that the Japanese market is not as 'next-gen thirsty' compared to the rest of the world.

Top Bottom