• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Shahadan

I'm tired of waiting for my codejunkies freeloader to arrive (especially when I'm not even sure it will arrive), I bought another in my country, so at least I'm sure to have it within 2 days and not within 2 months.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ok, both games were tested on a PAL Wii (connected via RGB to a PAL SDTV).

GCN Killer7 JPN: screen goes black, nothing happens.
GCN PN03 JPN: works fine.

Dascu

Finally got my Freeloader (from Codejunkies).

I tried NMH, but it apparently can't load it? Screen just goes black when I select to play it. PAL SDTV with standard composite input.

Nocebo

Stormbringer said:
YES :D ! Just received my long awaited freeloader from Divineo a whole 6 days after it shipped.
Good to hear! I hope I will get mine today aswell (also six days after it shipped). I played the crap out of brawl over the weekend with a friend who has an american wii, and I can't wait to play it at home! What an awesome game. There are so many things to do in brawl, it's insane!

[Nintex]

I just got mine from Gameseek.

Freeloader works, Smash Bros. loads...

But my TV can't handle NTSC and the RGB causes a red tint, so I'll be off to buy a new TV.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
# Nitrobike (US)
* Booted and plays
# Trauma Center: New Blood (US)
* Booted and plays

Two new games I have tested that arrived today. Updated my review. OP please update too :)

Dascu

Dascu said:
Finally got my Freeloader (from Codejunkies).

I tried NMH, but it apparently can't load it? Screen just goes black when I select to play it. PAL SDTV with standard composite input.
I seriously need some help on this one, guys. =(

Ok, i've got a weird problem concerning No More Heroes - sometimes during missions Travis gets a phone call, but the conversation doesn't seem to load, so i'm left walking along without hearing anything until the calls finished and I can resume the game. This happen to anyone else playing the US version on a PAL console?

kottila

Bootaaay said:
Ok, i've got a weird problem concerning No More Heroes - sometimes during missions Travis gets a phone call, but the conversation doesn't seem to load, so i'm left walking along without hearing anything until the calls finished and I can resume the game. This happen to anyone else playing the US version on a PAL console?

Have you muted the volume in the Wiimotespeakers?

I ordered a friggin disc from Divineo by recorded next day delivery to work.

If it don't come or Nintendo block this damned thing, i'm gonna go throw a bananas at children

Dascu

F#A#Oo said:
Have you set 60hz on the Wii-settings?
Yes.

I don't think it's the TV either. I've tried it on another one (a 4-months old Sony Bravia) and it's not working either. Same problem. Freeloader runs, the Wii recognises NMH, but when I start it, it just goes black. The Wii's making noise though, so I think it's still trying to run the disc.

zoukka

Dascu said:
Yes.

I don't think it's the TV either. I've tried it on another one (a 4-months old Sony Bravia) and it's not working either. Same problem. Freeloader runs, the Wii recognises NMH, but when I start it, it just goes black. The Wii's making noise though, so I think it's still trying to run the disc.

You're TV supports 60hz, but I think it does not support NTCS signal. Rotten luck...

Dascu

zoukka said:
You're TV supports 60hz, but I think it does not support NTCS signal. Rotten luck...
Even that new one? You're telling me that Bravia, that's only a few months old, isn't recognising the NTSC signal either? Why the fuck isn't it even loading. It should be giving graphical glitches, but the game isn't even starting up. I fear it might be my Wii itself.

zoukka

Dascu said:
Even that new one? You're telling me that Bravia, that's only a few months old, isn't recognising the NTSC signal either? Why the fuck isn't it even loading. It should be giving graphical glitches, but the game isn't even starting up. I fear it might be my Wii itself.

Yeah well I can't be sure. Many new TV:s don't even support 60hz. When I asked a sailsman in my local electronic store he said, that no PAL-tv:s support 60hz :lol

I brought my ps1 to there and proved him wrong (and bought a TV that supported it)

Dascu

zoukka said:
Yeah well I can't be sure. Many new TV:s don't even support 60hz. When I asked a sailsman in my local electronic store he said, that no PAL-tv:s support 60hz :lol

I brought my ps1 to there and proved him wrong (and bought a TV that supported it)
My Wii's set to 60hz and plays normal 60hz games just fine. So, if anything, it's the NTSC, but even my new TV has the same problem. The game doesn't load... If it's problem with the 60hz NTSC, then, shouldn't it just load and be in black/white or something?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
*Mutters about not getting any news on his Freeloader*

Smash Bros. Brawl is definitely going to arrive before this abomination does. It's going to be sat there on my desk. Mocking me. Over and over again.

I bet I'll wake up one night and it'll be sat at the base of the bed staring at me. :|

Well, I got in my copy of Brawl today.
I did the alternate method, installed the update. But after trying to load the game in the disc channel everything just goes black and my TV doesn't receive any signal from the Wii. I tried it twice, same thing happens. It displays the Brawl splash screen in the Disc channel, but won't load the game.

Does this mean that my Wii is incapable of reading the Brawl disc? Am I having the same issue that some US brawl players had with their Wii?

This is pissing me off, I was so looking forward to playing it this week.

EternalDarko said:
Well, I got in my copy of Brawl today.
I did the alternate method, installed the update. But after trying to load the game in the disc channel everything just goes black and my TV doesn't receive any signal from the Wii. I tried it twice, same thing happens. It displays the Brawl splash screen in the Disc channel, but won't load the game.

Does this mean that my Wii is incapable of reading the Brawl disc? Am I having the same issue that some US brawl players had with their Wii?

Go into the 'Screen' settings and change it to 480i 60hz

bgudna

i got mine during the weekend and just tested my US copy of WindWaker and it didn´t load .. just a blank screen

broadwayrock said:
Go into the 'Screen' settings and change it to 480i 60hz
Thanks for that.
It was my own stupid fault, i'd changed the settings to test my GC games with freeloader on an old crt tv and forgotten to change it back to 480p when I connected it to my normal TV. Works fine at 480p.

Dascu

If no one can help me out, I guess I'll just have to buy the Euro version instead. Super. Back to waiting months for games to come out. Fucking great.

zoukka

Dascu said:
If no one can help me out, I guess I'll just have to buy the Euro version instead. Super. Back to waiting months for games to come out. Fucking great.

Try with different TV:s. I guess that's all you can do...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dascu said:

I don't think you should give up that easily. Have you tried different cables? Maybe you should try it with an RGB cable if your tv supports it (for the 60hz).

kinda clueless as to why it wouldn't work on a hd set... did you connect it with composite cables there too?

Dascu

Darunia said:
I don't think you should give up that easily. Have you tried different cables? Maybe you should try it with an RGB cable if your tv supports it (for the 60hz).

kinda clueless as to why it wouldn't work on a hd set... did you connect it with composite cables there too?
Yeah, I tried composite on the HD one. I don't have any other cables, and I'm not really willing to buy a new cable, only to find out it's still not working. I think I'll just buy the Euro version. I'm sick of this waiting. I want to play NMH and I don't care anymore if it has blood or not.

I'll keep Freeloader and the US NMH though. I hope I can figure out what the hell's going wrong.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dascu said:
I'll keep Freeloader and the US NMH though. I hope I can figure out what the hell's going wrong.

You live only a few km's from me, ship me the FL + NMH and I'll test if they work on my set :p

Dascu

Darunia said:
You live only a few km's from me, ship me the FL + NMH and I'll test if they work on my set :p
Hmm. I'll keep it here for the time being, might try it again on the Bravia later. But I'll consider sending it to you if this stuff continues.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dascu said:
Hmm. I'll keep it here for the time being, might try it again on the Bravia later. But I'll consider sending it to you if this stuff continues.

I was kidding actually but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Maybe you got a crappy FL copy? I have a 720p set and a Wii with component cables, so if it doesn't work on my tv, then it's certain you got a faulty disc.

webrunner

Component Progressive Scan should work if that option is there.. there's no difference in signals once you're in the p's, as far as I know.

Of course I could be wrong, I'm Canadian, just going by what I've heard

Dascu

Hmm, would changing the settings to EDTV/HDTV (480p) make a difference? The option is in grey on my SDTV, but I guess it should be possible on the Bravia.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dascu said:
Hmm, would changing the settings to EDTV/HDTV (480p) make a difference? The option is in grey on my SDTV, but I guess it should be possible on the Bravia.

it's probably gonna be greyed out there too since you don't have it connected with cables that support 480p...

Dascu

Darunia said:
it's probably gonna be greyed out there too since you don't have it connected with cables that support 480p...
Ah, so it's the cables that determine what options are availabe.

Netto-kun

I noticed I had to reput the Freeloader again after quitting Brawl and going back to the Wii menu. Anyway else had to do that too?

Dachande

Netto-kun said:
I noticed I had to reput the Freeloader again after quitting Brawl and going back to the Wii menu. Anyway else had to do that too?

That'll be standard. Going back to the menu reloads it and thus reloads the region protection the Freeloader fucks with.

Dascu

I should've never cancelled my NMH pre-order. =(

EDIT: WOAH NOW IT WORKS? I changed the language setting to English. Now the game DOES load, but it's all in black&white (playing in b&w has it charm though). So, it must be the TV after all. At least I now know it's not my Wii or NMH disc or something.

woobit

How about making a website solely dedicated to a Freeloader compatibility list? Don't get me wrong, this thread is wonderful and Ramenman is doing a great job - but the post will be cluttered and hard to read after a while.
A site could have a search, sort by and a must-have web2.0 ajax game submitter

Heres a quick and ugly mock-up filled with tables and an iframe

Not sure my php skills are up to the job though

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
woobit said:
How about making a website solely dedicated to a Freeloader compatibility list? Don't get me wrong, this thread is wonderful and Ramenman is doing a great job - but the post will be cluttered and hard to read after a while.
A site could have a search, sort by and a must-have web2.0 ajax game submitter

Heres a quick and ugly mock-up filled with tables and an iframe

Not sure my php skills are up to the job though
A wiki would do the job imho.

woobit

Even better. The free hosted ones (like wikihost.com and wikidot.com) should suffice I'd think.

Anyone interested?

I just tried out Naruto Shippuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 2 on my PAL Wii and it works great (although for about ten minutes it didn't work, until I realised that the moon language was telling me to se-pu-rate my GC controllers from the consoles ^_^).

lopaz

Banned
Dascu said:
I should've never cancelled my NMH pre-order. =(

EDIT: WOAH NOW IT WORKS? I changed the language setting to English. Now the game DOES load, but it's all in black&white (playing in b&w has it charm though). So, it must be the TV after all. At least I now know it's not my Wii or NMH disc or something.

Mine was black and white, so I dragged my Megadrive TV down from upstairs (the TV is like 10 years old and tiny) and it was in colour. What the fuck is up with manufacturers selling supposedly midrange TVs today that have less features than TVs that were shit ten years ago?

Top Bottom