• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

zoukka

Wohoo sent 13.3 and I got it 14.3. Though NMH looks like shit without RGB-cabel. PAL games do not suffer from the lack of it, almost at all.

Shafto

Finally got Smash Bros, but my rubbish old TV isn't handling the signal so well. Composite displays in black and white, and RGB SCART displays in Red. Can't seem to do anything about it either :(

A friend of mine on an italian vg forum says that the first time he played Naruto EX2 it worked fine as you can see from these images
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00086uu5.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00087qs3.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00093gl4.jpg

than the second time he received this error message

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00094do3.jpg

someone can translate this? thanks in advance. :)

P.S. of course, the console is non-modded and both the game and the freeloader are original products

zoukka

Anasui Kishibe said:
wtf, do you live inside Codejunkies' office?

In Finland. I think that the notifications have nothing to do with the actual shipping. I had no emails ever and it says it really shipped 13.3.

Weird, but I'm not complaining.

Menuboy

Shafto said:
Finally got Smash Bros, but my rubbish old TV isn't handling the signal so well. Composite displays in black and white, and RGB SCART displays in Red. Can't seem to do anything about it either :(

Same for me man. Though I tried the composite cable on my parents TV. Brawl works fine in colour no probs. So i'm not sure whether to buy a component cable or stick with my parents TV?

kottila

Menuboy said:
Same for me man. Though I tried the composite cable on my parents TV. Brawl works fine in colour no probs. So i'm not sure whether to buy a component cable or stick with my parents TV?

A component cable is so cheap that there is no reason not to buy one.

Shafto

My TV doesn't support component sadly. Would love to buy a new TV, but I can't afford it. Think i'm scuppered for the time being. Thinking of buying a Component-VGA, or Component to RGB converter, or even a third party Wii 'VGA' cable, but they're all quite expensive.

Ramenman

Stormbringer said:
No More Heroes : GET ! :D
Received it today from Play-Asia, 13 days after it shipped. That was about time, too, as I was getting slightly bitter to see the PAL version, which I held off buying, sitting in stores...Anyway, now, for the Freeloader... Here is hoping the customs (which are apparently checking every imported package these days due to reinforced anti-terrorist policy currently in place in France) won't screw up with mine...

Aucun probleme avec mon Freeloader à moi, reçu en une semaine sans surprise douanière quelconque ^^

Ramenman said:
Aucun probleme avec mon Freeloader à moi, reçu en une semaine sans surprise douanière quelconque ^^

(Eh bien apparemment, il se trouve que pas mal de paquets en provenance de zones "sensibles" (Angleterre, USA, ...) sont restés bloqués à Roissy en attente de vérification pour cause de plan Vigipirate renforcé depuis quinze jours :/ .... Au moins c'est ce qu'un employé de la poste locale m'a dit quand je lui en ai parlé...
En tout cas, j'espère bien recevoir mon paquet en temps et en heure sans gros souci avec les douanes... Car aprés tout, mon paquet n'est parti que mardi dernier, donc y'a encore de la marge de temps, j'imagine.)

So yeah, there is still time before I should start to worry, so...wait and see.

Bankoiia

Got to play around with the freeloader a bit today. :D
(PAL console, using component cables)

Gamecube
-
GIFTPIA (NTSC-J) - NOT WORKING
Tales of Symphonia (NTSC-J) - WORKING, minor graphical issues
Baten Kaitos (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Baten Katios II (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Naruto GNT 3 (NTSC-J) - NOT WORKING
Donkey Kong: Junlge Beat (NTSC-J) - NOT WORKING

Wii
-
No More Heroes (NTSC-U) - WORKING
Bleach (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Trauma Center: New Blood (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Super Smash Bros Brawl (NTSC-J) - WORKING
Guilty Gear: Accent Core (NTSC-J) - WORKING

lopaz

Banned
Shahadan said:
Same here. I want to kill some grandmas. It's upsetting 'cause a guy who live around here received it from videogamesplus yesterday and NOT ME.

Those Canadian assholes. Let's commiserate together

Got my Smash today, Tales of Symphonia has a crappy black bar ;( so I'm gonna have to find my GC and my old freeloader to play that again.

Smash was black and white on my tv via the standard scart cable, but I've borrowed my parent's smaller tv for now. I'll see about a new scart cable tomorrow maybe, an RGB scart cable is what I need right?

Xater

Darkflight said:
Got my Smash today, Tales of Symphonia has a crappy black bar ;( so I'm gonna have to find my GC and my old freeloader to play that again.

Smash was black and white on my tv via the standard scart cable, but I've borrowed my parent's smaller tv for now. I'll see about a new scart cable tomorrow maybe, an RGB scart cable is what I need right?

Yes you need an RGB cable.

It really suprises me that there are so many people on GAF plaing with composite.

lopaz

Banned
Xater said:

It really suprises me that there are so many people on GAF plaing with composite.

Wait. Fuck! My TV's scart port is occupied. What exactly happens with composite?

Rayne.S

Banned
Xater said:

Nuhu, PAL Wii + Freeloader acts like a US Wii ... so nu RGB.

Using RGB results in special Virtual Boy filter ( deep red / black )

lopaz

Banned
Rayne.S said:

Phew. *rubs you*

Question: yknow the adaptor that comes with the wii, that lets you plug in composite cables to a scart port, will using that cause red?

Xater

Rayne.S said:

So you need to play with composite or component? Wow aren't most SDTV users really screwed this way? Composite looks like shit.

Shahadan

I'm lost.

Pal wii + freeloader + composite (the one in the console box right ?) = problem OR NOT?

I need to know to purchase another cable for my sdtv if I have to. :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Codejunkies customer service said:
Dear customer,

Unfortunately at this stage there is no tracking number available, if you have not received your order within 14 days please contact us so that we can trace it for you.

Kind regards
Tell me it's just a joke :lol :lol :lol
I can't fucking believe it :lol

lopaz

Banned
Shahadan said:
I'm lost.

Pal wii + freeloader + composite (the one in the console box right ?) = problem OR NOT?

Composite cables should be fine, it's only RGB cables that don't work it seems. What I want to know is will using a scart adaptor for composite cables cause the red problem

Menuboy

Well i'm not sure why the black and white problem happens if your TV can run 60Hz. Mine can but I still get a black and white picture with smash using composite. Problem is I can only use SCART so it has to be composite or RGB, and RGB doesn't work. Basically don't take it for granted if your TV can run 60Hz.

lopaz

Banned
Menuboy said:
Well i'm not sure why the black and white problem happens if your TV can run 60Hz. Mine can but I still get a black and white picture with smash using composite. Problem is I can only use SCART so it has to be composite or RGB, and RGB doesn't work. Basically don't take it for granted if your TV can run 60Hz.

Ass. My current TV is 60hz using composite. And when I go to uni, I'll probably have to get a tiny-ass TV so may end up having to use the SCART adaptor. I do so hope it works, don't wanna hafta repurchase Smash Bros

Shahadan said:
Codejunkies I suppose? :fear:
I think I'll order somewhere else -_-

lopaz >> thanks ^^

any time darling

alex1893

oh, got my freeloader faster than expected, which games should I order now? Is SSBB ok? I'm not really into fighting games, but SSBB looks fun from what I've seen so far, don't know anything about the predecessors... also looking out for Zack&Wiki, because it's half the price in Euro when I order it overseas. Is it working with the freeloader?

Rayne.S

Banned
Shahadan said:
I'm lost.

PAL + Freeloader + Composite
Works fine IF your TV supports NTSC 60Hz. Free anti-aliasing too ! Downside, composite does look really sucky....

SDTV
60Hz AND NTSC compatible : perfect imperfect composite picture, Smash away, just don;t look for details on the characters, they are there, you just can't see em.
60Hz Compatible but incapable of NTSC : Black and White
60Hz Incompatible : Rolling image top to bottom

PAL + Freeloader + SVideo
Best solution if you're component-less, BUT you need a TV that supprts NTSC 60Hz

PAL + Freeloader + RGB : NOT COMPATIBLE !
Tough luck, Virtual-Boy-O-rama. Totally red/black. Sucks cause most PAL TV's only support NTSC 60Hz through RGB.

PAL + Freeloader + Component
Best solution, alas, most SDTV's are without component inputs in euroland.

So, now that we have the TV problems out of the way, lets see if your Wii is one of the Wii's incapable of running Smash Bros Brawl because of laserproblems/smokers-Wii

Lopaz said:
Composite cables should be fine, it's only RGB cables that don't work it seems. What I want to know is will using a scart adaptor for composite cables cause the red problem

Not a problem... the europlug just relays the videosignal to the right pin.

Shahadan

Rayne.S said:
So, now that we have the TV problems out of the way, lets see if your Wii is one of the Wii's incapable of running Smash Bros Brawl because of laserproblems/smokers-Wii

:lol I did a nightmare about this. With my luck I better begin to sacrifice some virgins.

Thanks for clarifying a bit, anyway ^^

alex >> Good point, I also want to know if Zack&Wiki is compatible :eek:
Don't hesitate any second for SSBB you won't regret it ^^ How many people hate Smash Bros anyway?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shahadan said:
Codejunkies I suppose? :fear:
I think I'll order somewhere else -_-

lopaz >> thanks ^^
Yes.

I answered them this way:
It can't be, other people I know ordered the same item and got a mail from you with the tracking number.
I didn't get anything.
What does "there is no tracking number available" mean???

...and this time they were quick.
Dear customer,

The area in which you live depends on the method of shipping we use, and tracking number etc etc.

Regards
...except Royal Mail (the one reported on both my order page and their site rules) DOES give tracking numbers while shipping to Italy :D

lopaz

Banned
Rayne.S said:

Thankyou. Damn I hope my TV can do 60hz through composite, else it's black bar city :(

Menuboy

Rayne.S said:
Works fine IF your TV supports NTSC 60Hz. Free anti-aliasing too ! Downside, composite does look really sucky....

SDTV
60Hz AND NTSC compatible : perfect imperfect composite picture, Smash away, just don;t look for details on the characters, they are there, you just can't see em.

Best solution if you're component-less, BUT you need a TV that supprts NTSC 60Hz

Tough luck, Virtual-Boy-O-rama. Totally red/black. Sucks cause most PAL TV's only support NTSC 60Hz through RGB.

Guess i'm going to need a new TV that can run NTSC 60Hz. Any idea how i'd know if a TV supported it or not just through looking at the specs. Can't really go into a TV store and ask how do I play illegally imported games lol

Shafto

Rayne, you mention S-Video in your post. As in PAL Wii + NTSC SSBB + Official Nintnedo (US Only)S-Video Cable? Is this from personal experience?

I ask because a lot of people are suggesting that a PAL Wii is incapable of displaying S-Video, so there would be no point in buying the cable, if, like me, your TV doesn't do NTSC over composite properly. If, however, this was not the case, i'd be over the moon, as all i'd have to buy is an S-Video cable and i'd be set. (although, i'd be plugging said S-Video cable into an S-video -> SCART adapter, but I don't imagine this would affect anything)

Does anyone have the above peripherals that they could test? Think of all the poor Shaftos out there who're sitting with Black and White or 'Virtual Boy' filters on their Smash Bros, desperately seeking a solution!

samratty

Menuboy said:
Guess i'm going to need a new TV that can run NTSC 60Hz. Any idea how i'd know if a TV supported it or not just through looking at the specs. Can't really go into a TV store and ask how do I play illegally imported games lol
It's not illegal to import games.
99.9% of brand new tvs support NTSC 60hz.

Could I run it on my monitor somehow like my 360? Why doesn't anyone else make an official VGA cable? Then the question is how would I get sound, my 360 sound runs through my pc line-in, could I do that for the Wii also? I don't want to get an adaptor if it's gonna be in B&W or red still. Sorry for asking questions that have probably been answered a thousand times in Wii threads ;)

It doesn't make sense for me to buy a HDTV at this house, so that's not an option at this time.

Menuboy

samratty said:
It's not illegal to import games.
99.9% of brand new tvs support NTSC 60hz.

Oh right I didn't know that. I was just browsing TVs on Argos and it actually says if it's NTSC compatible or not. Might as well just get a cheap HDTV and get HD on my 360 while i'm at it.

Shahadan

Jocchan said:
...except Royal Mail (the one reported on both my order page and their site rules) DOES give tracking numbers while shipping to Italy :D

Maybe we could inform them that some people had 10 confirmations emails and received 4 freeloaders and sue them for sending our orders to people who didn't pay for it :eek:

WE COULD MAKE BILLIONS !

I want to kill myself.

Rayne.S

Banned
Shafto said:
Rayne, you mention S-Video in your post. As in PAL Wii + NTSC SSBB + Official Nintnedo (US Only)S-Video Cable? Is this from personal experience?

I ask because a lot of people are suggesting that a PAL Wii is incapable of displaying S-Video, so there would be no point in buying the cable, if, like me, your TV doesn't do NTSC over composite properly. If, however, this was not the case, i'd be over the moon, as all i'd have to buy is an S-Video cable and i'd be set. (although, i'd be plugging said S-Video cable into an S-video -> SCART adapter, but I don't imagine this would affect anything)

Does anyone have the above peripherals that they could test? Think of all the poor Shaftos out there who're sitting with Black and White or 'Virtual Boy' filters on their Smash Bros, desperately seeking a solution!

No, not from experience, from deduction....

The Freeloader makes a PAL Wii act like a US Wii, even omitting RGB compatibility in the process. I'd wager that goes two ways, no RGB compatibility but in the process returning SVideo compatibility. I'd go as far as saying the RED/BLACK picture is ACTUALLY SVideo but though the wrong pins in the RGB cable.....

Rayne.S

Banned
Shafto said:
I WANT TO BELIEVE!

It makes sense to me...

Hopefully someone can give it a test, somewhere.

No prob, i'll run a test monday. Probably have some old svideo cables in the shop, so no biggy.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shahadan said:
Maybe we could inform them that some people had 10 confirmations emails and received 4 freeloaders and sue them for sending our orders to people who didn't pay for it :eek:

WE COULD MAKE BILLIONS !

I want to kill myself.
Well, since the two mails I got today were blatant lies, I've answered informing them politely that I know how Royal Mail operates. I just want to see what they're going to say next (if they DO answer).
I don't know about your order, but I'm pretty sure that - despite what's written on my order page - they DIDN'T ship mine.
But hey, let's relax. We've both paid, and we'll both get what we've paid for ;)

Dascu

Rayne.S said:

SDTV

Hmm, would anyone perhaps know if a Philips 28PT4512/02 will be able to work with Freeloader?

[Nintex]

Damn, I got Smash Bros. from Play-Asia(Hong Kong) today and my package from Gameseek(UK) hasn't arrived yet. They shipped it on monday and I kinda expected it today :(

I've read about Big Ben cables with this problem, but do Nintendo's official cables have this problem as well?

Top Bottom