• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

So I'm thinking I'll hook it up to my monitor like my 360 so I can give my parent's their tv back :D - I was looking at this VD-W2 Wii VGA cable , about £25 from there it seems, which isn't too bad, probably cheaper than component cables and a convertor, but I obviously don't want to order if it's going to have issues, anyone think it would?

Netto-kun

Darkflight said:
So I'm thinking I'll hook it up to my monitor like my 360 so I can give my parent's their tv back :D - I was looking at this VD-W2 Wii VGA cable , about £25 from there it seems, which isn't too bad, probably cheaper than component cables and a convertor, but I obviously don't want to order if it's going to have issues, anyone think it would?
The only problem with the cable is that you can't play PAL Virtual Console or Gamecube games.

Hmm, ok, well the only Pal GC game I'd play is probably F-Zero GX and even that's unlikely to be played really. I don't play any of the Virtual Console games I have either, unless my sister's home and I kick her ass at Mario Kart 64, so if that's the only problem then that's ok. I can always move it back to my tv if I feel the need to start over with F-Zero again (stupid memory card going missing since Uni).

Rayne.S

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Damn, I got Smash Bros. from Play-Asia(Hong Kong) today and my package from Gameseek(UK) hasn't arrived yet. They shipped it on monday and I kinda expected it today :(

I've read about Big Ben cables with this problem, but do Nintendo's official cables have this problem as well?

Its not the brand thats the problem .... its the signal. The US Wii just does not support RGB output ... just like the US GC and N64 in general.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Are you guys absolutely sure about this? My PAL Wii used to run the GC Freeloader fine (yeah, before it got killed by the infamous update), and I'm pretty sure I already had bought the RGB cable then.

Rayne.S

Banned
Jocchan said:
Are you guys absolutely sure about this? My PAL Wii used to run the GC Freeloader fine (yeah, before it got killed by the infamous update), and I'm pretty sure I already had bought the RGB cable then.

Thats because the Freeloader for GC still made the machine function like a PAL machine, RGB included. The same goes for Wii using its Gamecube mode.

alex1893

just checked my TV settings (PAL Wii connected to SDTV via RGB). 60hz is fine, but NTSC is only ok with RGB/first Scart port, other ports show it in b/w. :(

So I was thinking about a workaround...

10d8dwh.jpg
6ht1kw.jpg

maybe this works if I get a S-Video or component cable and connect it with an adapter to the RGB/NTSC-capable scart port?

Dascu

alex1893 said:
just checked my TV settings (PAL Wii connected to SDTV via RGB). 60hz is fine, but NTSC is only ok with RGB/first Scart port, other ports show it in b/w. :(

http://i32.tinypic.com/10d8dwh.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/6ht1kw.jpg[IMG]

maybe this works if I get a S-Video or component cable and connect it with an adapter to the RGB/NTSC-capable scart port?[/QUOTE]

What RGB cables are you using and does it mess up the picture? I'm really getting worried my TV won't be able to run 60hz NTSC. =(

alex1893

Dascu said:
What RGB cables are you using and does it mess up the picture? I'm really getting worried my TV won't be able to run 60hz NTSC. =(
I'm using the official Nintendo RGB cable. Don't have any NTSC games to test though, I just cycled through my TV settings.

Port AV1 (RGB/NTSC 60hz capable, connected with Nintendo RGB cable), Wii settings @ 50hz:
PAL - fine
SECAM - fine
NTSC - colored, but messed up rolling picture

Port AV1, same as above, but Wii settings @ 60hz:
PAL - fine
SECAM - black/white and messed up rollinge picture
NTSC - fine

Ports AV2 and AV3 (only 60hz capable, connected with the standard composite cable), Wii settings @ 50hz:
PAL - fine
SECAM - picture ok, but black/white
NTSC - black/white and messed up rolling picture

Ports AV2 and AV3, same as above, but Wii settings @ 60hz:
PAL - fine
SECAM - black/white and messed up rolling picture
NTSC - picture ok, but black/white

Ramenman

Dascu said:

Don't worry, you'll be bothered only if you play on your old grand-grand-mother TV.

Like I do :/

So I have to play on a crappy non-HD LCD TV through composite.

:/

But hey, that's also the case with my 360, so...

so :/

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ramenman said:
Thanks ! Awesome news for Wii games.

Awesome stuff for my OP too ;)

I have Trauma Center New Blood and Excite Truck coming tomorrow too;

Make sure you link, took me hours to test them all :p

Hitmeneer

Netto-kun said:
The only problem with the cable is that you can't play PAL Virtual Console or Gamecube games.

Why can't you play PAL GC games on that cable?

I have a old (10+ years) tv and I'm interested in the freeloader, but I'm afraid the tv will only support 50 Hz and PAL :< . So the VGA cable would be a nice option.

Netto-kun

Hitmeneer said:
Why can't you play PAL GC games on that cable?

I have a old (10+ years) tv and I'm interested in the freeloader, but I'm afraid the tv will only support 50 Hz and PAL :< . So the VGA cable would be a nice option.
When using the VGA cable for PC monitors, you are required to change the TV Resolution on your Wii to "EDTV/HDTV(480p)" so you wont get a black screen when starting up the Wii. And apparently no PAL GC games got support for 480p, so yeah. :(

Hitmeneer

Netto-kun said:
When using the VGA cable for PC monitors, you are required to change the TV Resolution on your Wii to "EDTV/HDTV(480p)" so you wont get a black screen when starting up the Wii. And apparently no PAL GC games got support for 480p, so yeah. :(

Sucky :(

Ramenman

Netto-kun said:

I knew that too. I'm willing to buy a monitor (see my current gaming situation 9 posts above), I've got no problem with keeping my SDTV, but it's taking like a lot of room so if I could get rid of it it'd be nice.

Can't you hookup your last gen consoles to a monitor with a VGA box ? Any lag issues ?

Rayne.S

Banned
alex1893 said:

10d8dwh.jpg
6ht1kw.jpg

maybe this works if I get a S-Video or component cable and connect it with an adapter to the RGB/NTSC-capable scart port?

Well, i'd doubt it... If your system is incapable of handling NTSC i doubt its capable of SVHS/Component through scart...

alex1893

Rayne.S said:
Well, i'd doubt it... If your system is incapable of handling NTSC i doubt its capable of SVHS/Component through scart...
as I said before the first scart port of my TV is fully capable of NTSC. If this red tint problem only appears with the RGB cable I thought the cable change might do the trick.

Rayne.S

Banned
alex1893 said:
as I said before the first scart port of my TV is fully capable of NTSC. If this red tint problem only appears with the RGB cable I thought the cable change might do the trick.

And as i said before most TV's support NTSC 60Hz through RGB. Usually only scart #1 / AV1 supports RGB ...

Using a plugthrough does nothing to the signal, only reroutes it through the correct pins. If your set only supports NTSC thourgh RGB you're still screwed...

Menuboy

I'm a little confused on how Wii, or any VGA cable for that matter, works with the audio. Basically i'm using an external monitor for my laptop because the original broke so i'm thinking I can use that for my Wii/360. I don't know where to plug the audio lead in. Would I need to buy some PC speakers? I don't have speakers on the monitor btw.

On my 360 and with this Wii cable, I'll be putting the sound through the line-in on my pc, if its a laptop though you may need some speakers, I have no idea if laptops generally come with line-ins, I doubt it.

The cable comes with the adaptor for a 3.5mm jack, which should then go into anything that accepts a standard 3.5mm jack plug, so computer speakers should be fine I imagine.

Scum

Got my Freeloader on Friday. No More Heroes (US) is awesome! :D
By the way, if anyone is having trouble ejecting No More Heroes, then on the Wii itself, just press 'Eject' and power the console off. The disc will eject before the console shuts down. Much quicker than waiting. :p

Ramenman

Scum said:
Got my Freeloader on Friday. No More Heroes (US) is awesome! :D
By the way, if anyone is having trouble ejecting No More Heroes, then on the Wii itself, just press 'Eject' and power the console off. The disc will eject before the console shuts down. Much quicker than waiting. :p

I actually do it the other way around. I shut down the console and press Eject after. It also works.

alex1893

Rayne.S said:
And as i said before most TV's support NTSC 60Hz through RGB. Usually only scart #1 / AV1 supports RGB ...

Using a plugthrough does nothing to the signal, only reroutes it through the correct pins. If your set only supports NTSC thourgh RGB you're still screwed...
ah, now I understand... damn :/

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Is it normal that I don't have to do the alternate boot method for Brawl? i.e. the insert it twice routine. I thought I read that SSBB required it.

Edit - Ah, only required the first time. For a second I thought my Wii was an anomaly.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Thanks for the props guys :) But my work is not finished.

I shall be adding more games to the list soon enough, I have Trauma Center coming tomorrow but I think someone has tested that but I also have Nitrobike coming too. (at $25US on Play-Asia its a steal!)

Stryder

Just had a Freeloader arrive at work today.

We've tested and had working Endless Ocean NTSC US, NMH (already confirmed) and Brawl.
Brawl required the update from the disc to work.

Fredescu

Glad to hear BK:O works. Ordered. I don't supposed anyone has tried the NTSC GCN Skies of Arcadia Legends on a PAL console? If not I guess I'll find out about when mine arrives.

legend166

Does the original Baten Kaitos work? I've had that sitting around for awhile, but I'm too lazy to hook up my GCN to play it. Would like to do it with the Wii.

Ramenman

legend166 said:
Does the original Baten Kaitos work? I've had that sitting around for awhile, but I'm too lazy to hook up my GCN to play it. Would like to do it with the Wii.

Well if you have the game then just try and we'll know ;)

zoukka

Oh shit for the lack of RGB-support. Megacrap.

I haven't played with this shitty quality since my first imported ps1-games... this is bad.

So the S-video cabel is best for PAL-tv, that supports 60hz ntsc?

So aside from Codejunkies and Divineo where else can i buy this in the UK?

I have my US Brawl (Anyone want the code BTW??) but i can't play shit without this disc!!

Netto-kun

DefectiveReject said:
So aside from Codejunkies and Divineo where else can i buy this in the UK?

I have my US Brawl (Anyone want the code BTW??) but i can't play shit without this disc!!
Gameseek which is linked in the very first post is an alternative. I ordered mine last Tuesday, and is still waiting for it to arrive!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just got the one I ordered from Divineo.
I'm going to test two GCN games: Killer7 and PN03, both JPN.

YES :D ! Just received my long awaited freeloader from Divineo a whole 6 days after it shipped. I tested Baten Kaitos JPN (which works, but is running with one big nasty black bar on the bottom of the screen for some reasons) and No More Heroes US, which works perfectly so far, and is BLOODY AWESOME (and surprisingly, has text and menus translated in French, too, accordingly with my PAL console settings).
What a great day to be a PAL gamer :) .

Top Bottom