• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's absolutely no chance that Sony would ever make a Demon's Souls 2 (right?)

noobasuar

Banned
No. To be honest I don't give much credence to what the "insiders" on GAF say anyway. Half the time they are wrong. Just recently one directly contradicted another. I see smiley faces and claims posted before every conference and people's hype goes through the roof. When it all fizzles into nothingness and disappointment those smiley faces are forgotten.

Yup, yup. It's gotten quite annoying. Half of gaf likes to act like they're insiders because someone from the industry once replied to a twitter question they posed.

H6f9Om0.png

I'm going with "he doesn't know shit". The dream of Demon's Souls 2 lives!
In my heart

Prelude.

Even if that were the case, how do you know they're not "in talks" right now as well?
It's an entirely different issue. We're talking about the existence of a first party game, not if a third party game that was announced years ago as an exclusive will be co-developed/kept exclusive by Sony. The management shift at SE was also a factor since Wada was prone to the co-development idea.

elhav

There is already a Demon's Souls 2 game, it's called Dark Souls. Demon's Souls 3 is coming out real soon. I wish people would stop clinging to it because it reeks of desperation, a well received PS exclusive that slipped through their fingers.
Anyone who has played both games knows they are totally different. The whole level design, world and lore are different, except the combat, which remained the same(as it should have)

I don't really see people "clinging to it", more like simply wanting it, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I would personally prefer a new IP but another Demon's Souls wouldn't be bad at all.

Peff

Because in this case Sony owns the IP...

Not saying I believe it's happening or anything, but it really is a different situation

Indeed it is, in this scenario From would abandon a good chunk of the audience they've been building over the past four years for something that essentially would be almost identical to Dark Souls 3 or whatever, since going back to Demon's Souls doesn't necessarily mean going back to a hub with worlds and levels. Even with the balance shifting towards PS4 there is too much redundancy between both franchises and not much to gain by working on the one that hasn't seen a release in five years and counting. Now, King's Field, on the other hand...

There is no need for Demon's Souls 2 because... it already exists. It's called Dark Souls.

^^^^^

The spiritual successor is called Dark Souls. This "it has to be Sony exclusive" thing is pretty stupid.
Not from Sony's perspective. Or people who want to play as much of these types of games.

Prelude.

Also, I have the feeling that most of the naysayers think that "Demon's Souls 2" means a game called literally "Demon's Souls 2". That's not what was implied, it's just a sort of sequel developed by Sony, Miyazaki and a small part of From.

Jonboy

So, I just accidentally stumbled over that little comment on Playstation blog from an Atlus employee:

"PS Blog Exclusive: can 100% confirm there will NOT be a Demon Souls 2. :("

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...ps3-in-north-america/comment-page-2/#comments

Demon's Souls is a Sony IP and they'd publish it by themselves anyway if it's real, so that dude wouldn't know right, RIGHT??

H6f9Om0.png

I'm going with "he doesn't know shit". The dream of Demon's Souls 2 lives!
In my heart

Probably need to update the thread title or create a new one altogether considering this.

JJD

Anyone who has played both games knows they are totally different. The whole level design, world and lore are different, except the combat, which remained the same(as it should have)

I don't really see people "clinging to it", more like simply wanting it, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I would personally prefer a new IP but another Demon's Souls wouldn't be bad at all.

My understanding from the posts of Demonite and Verendus is that From and Sony could be working together on a game but it wouldn't be a simple Demon's Souls sequel. It would be a game in the "spirit" of Demon's Souls but not a straight sequel. It would be somewhat different or even a new IP.

I hope it happens, I want to see what the director of DS can do on next gen with a bigger budget.

I'm surprised some people don't consider Dark Souls a continuation of Demon's Souls. They're extremely similar, but i find Dark Souls to be better in every single way, every aspect of the game was improved. With Dark Souls 2 coming out, people really still want a Demon's Souls 2? Seems like it would be slightly different just for the sake of it, and going backwards in many ways. Befuddling to me, to be honest.

sublimit

Banned
Also, I have the feeling that most of the naysayers think that "Demon's Souls 2" means a game called literally "Demon's Souls 2". That's not what was implied, it's just a sort of sequel developed by Sony, Miyazaki and a small part of From.

Yup i also think that a "spiritual succesor" type of game is the most possible scenario.

beril

The level design isn't different because of the different name, it's different because the developer wanted to go that route. The lore might be to some extent, but plenty of franchises reinvent most of the world between games, and from what I understand DS2 is almost completely unconnected to DS1 as well. Anything you'd want from a Demon's Souls 2, outside of a direct story continuation, could just as easily be done in Dark Souls 2, or 3, 4, 5, which makes more sense from a business point point of view.

mattp

the only way i'd be ok with this is if instead of making dark souls 3, from soft makes demon's souls 2

i don't want ds2 made by anyone but fromsoft
and i think it's safe to say most people would agree with me

It's been alleged several times that whatever it is From/Sony is supposedly working on was never going to be called Demon's Souls and was intended as a "spiritual" successor. At one point wasn't there some talk of it being some first person fantasy title in fact?

I don't know if it's going to happen or not, but now I kind of want it to because of how much it'll upset Kenshin001.

Why someone who supposedly likes the series would be against more Souls games unless he is some fanboy who doesn't want one console to have more than the other?

You must be new to keit4 posts.

I've played both games. Lore? Haha. They changed a few names to avoid copyright infringement. I can't remember anyone's name except MiB. Such memorable characters as horned knight guy and the merchant person.

No hub and bonfires are the big differences. I think Demon's Souls 3 has a hub though. Aesthetic is the same, world design is kind of the same, combat is the same.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yeah, this seems to be the only real reason, it isn't as if they could bring back some Demon Soul's mechanics and stuff into future Dark Souls games. Why do you guys want to fuck over PC/360 owners?
why would a demon's souls 2 preclude a dark souls 3?
edit: oh im almost a year late to that question.

sublimit

Banned
I've played both games. Lore? Haha. They changed a few names to avoid copyright infringement. I can't remember anyone's name except MiB. Such memorable characters as horned knight guy and the merchant person.

No hub and bonfires are the big differences. I think Demon's Souls 3 has a hub though. Aesthetic is the same, world design is the same, combat is the same.

lol

And no i don't think the aesthetics and (especially) the world design of Dark Souls 2 are the same with those of Demon's Souls.

kasane

There is already a Demon's Souls 2 game, it's called Dark Souls. Demon's Souls 3 is coming out real soon. I wish people would stop clinging to it because it reeks of desperation, a well received PS exclusive that slipped through their fingers.
Yeah liked everybody is salivating on it just because its exclusive.

People want it cause its different enough from dark souls and there were cut content from it

Tadale

For me, I don't see the point. I feel like Dark Souls is the logical extension of Demon Souls, and I much prefer the Dark Souls structure to the first game.

keit4

Banned
So why all these Monster Hunter clones exist then?

Why someone who supposedly likes the series would be against more Souls games unless he is some fanboy who doesn't want one console to have more than the other?

I would love more Souls games, never said otherwise, but people is asking for a spiritual successor. Well, the spiritual successor already exists (same mechanics, same developer, same visuals), and it's called Dark Souls. And just FYI, Demon's Souls (a Sony and PS3 exclusive) is my game of the gen, so don't try to use the fanboy wildcard with me because it won't work. I'm not as involved as you in this console war.

elhav

The level design isn't different because of the different name, it's different because the developer wanted to go that route. The lore might be to some extent, but plenty of franchises reinvent most of the world between games, and from what I understand DS2 is almost completely unconnected to DS1 as well. Anything you'd want from a Demon's Souls 2, outside of a direct story continuation, could just as easily be done in Dark Souls 2, or 3, 4, 5, which makes more sense from a business point point of view.
I guess you are right. Dark Souls was much more successful so it would make more sense to just go on with the Dark Souls brand.

Still, I wonder if they will end up creating a similar design in one of their later games, one that will please the Demon's Souls fanatics among us.

No hub and bonfires are the big differences. I think Demon's Souls 3 has a hub though. Aesthetic is the same, world design is the same, combat is the same.
In case you haven't watched these
And I find it funny how much you insist to decline any possibility of a sequal to Demon's Souls. Yeah, for a lot of us these are totally different games, with totally different approaches to design.

Yeah liked everybody is salivating on it just because its exclusive.

People want it cause its different enough from dark souls and there were cut content from it

Whether it's called Demon's or Dark I think you would still have got changes across the sequels. Dark Souls 2 isn't even set in the same setting as Dark Souls.

beril

My understanding from the posts of Demonite and Verendus is that From and Sony could be working together on a game but it wouldn't be a simple Demon's Souls sequel. It would be a game in the "spirit" of Demon's Souls but not a straight sequel. It would be somewhat different or even a new IP.

I hope it happens, I want to see what the director of DS can do on next gen with a bigger budget.

That makes a lot more sense than a straight up Demon's Souls 2.

If they want to make more Souls games with the same formula, they're better off continuing with the Dark Souls brand. It should be a relatively safe investment for FROM and Bamco to make as many Dark Souls as they want right now, and they can get higher sales and than if they're working with Sony. If they're working on another first party exclusive it's likely something more risky and unproven.

injurai

Banned

If this is true, that something is in the works between them.

It sounds like Sony want's to potentially separate themselves from the 'Souls' moniker. Despite owning the original series, the now multiplat Dark Souls sort of supersedes the exclusive draw that Demon's Souls once commanded.

I think at this point it would be interesting to find out what Miyazaki is working on. It seems odd he would eschew Dark Souls II in order to work on something very similar with Sony, particularly as From co-own the Dark Souls brand with Bamco while Demon's Souls is Sony's.

sublimit

Banned
I would love more Souls games, never said otherwise,

Really?you could have fooled me.You said:
There is no need for Demon's Souls 2 because... it already exists. It's called Dark Souls.

As for the rest of your post..
but people is asking for a spiritual successor. Well, the spiritual successor already exists (same mechanics, same developer, same visuals), and it's called Dark Souls.

And why exactly it's bothering you so much that people are asking for more spiritual succesor games?Does it also bother you when other companies than Capcom make more games similar to Monster Hunter and people who own both a 3DS and Vita enjoy more of the same?

And just FYI, Demon's Souls (a Sony and PS3 exclusive) is my game of the gen, so don't try to use the fanboy wildcard with me because it won't work. I'm not as involved as you in this console war.

Umm... you are the one who started it by making it into a "Sony exclusive" thing.That's classic fanboy material right there :
The spiritual successor is called Dark Souls. This "it has to be Sony exclusive" thing is pretty stupid.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Does From want to make an exclusive game after their multiplatform success? Would Namco let them go develop for Sony when the series is doing well for them? Does Sony actually give a shit?

Answer these questions and you'll find your answer.
1. Who wouldn't? It's not like they only have one team each for dark fantasy and mecha games.
2. Would Namco let them? It doesn't quite work like that.
3. Of course they do.

Anyway, Mortimer is dropping the hint bombs as usual. Demon's Souls may not be a thing anymore, but Miyazaki is far too big a wave maker than to simply play an "advisory" role on a single project. That's all that needs to be said until they inevitably announce something.

prwxv3

The fact that miyazaki is not working on Dark Souls 2 is enough evidence to say that there might be a chance that another souls like game in dev. Of course I might be wrong.

injurai

Banned
The fact that miyazaki is not working on Dark Souls 2 is enough evidence to say that there might be a chance that another souls like game in dev. Of course I might be wrong.

My guess is he is on a next-gen project. Souls related? Probably seeing as it's From's premier series now. I guess it comes down to whether it's a partnership with Sony, or just From gearing up for a next-gen title two years from now.

I'll be blown away if there isn't another Demon's Souls game from Sony. Whether it'll actually be called Demon's Souls is another story.

ClearData

I would like to see Demon Souls 2 made in partnership with From Software and Japan Studio.

But I heard the original director (Miyazaki?) isn't working on Dark Souls 2. What might he be up to? I fantasize it might be Demon Souls 2 for PS4 and Vita (but its probably not).

I would love to see a Demon's Souls 2. I loved Demon's Souls, it was my game of that generation hands down. I liked Dark Souls but, it didn't hook me like Demon's Souls did. I still think it was the Nexus that made the difference for me.

injurai

Banned
Spiritual successor. Of course it wouldn't be called Demon Souls after Dark Souls.

Hopefully not. I'm not really wanting to go back to Demon's Souls world. From certainly has a wonderful formula, but changing the setting will allow for new atmosphere, new aesthetic, and just open up some new elements in the series. The additions that Dark Souls brought really would feel a bit anachronistic being worked into the Demon's Souls world.

I'm sure most Demon's Souls fans bought Dark Souls and will be buying Dark Souls II. And they're probably excited about all these Demon's Souls II/spiritual successor rumors because it'd be the first confirmation of a Souls-like game designed to maximize next gen hardware.

But hey, continue to insult them for being excited about a franchise they like. Those jerks.

keit4

Banned
Really?you could have fooled me.You said:

As for the rest of your post..

And why exactly it's bothering you so much that people are asking for more spiritual succesor games?Does it also bother you when other companies than Capcom make more games similar to Monster Hunter and people who own both a 3DS and Vita enjoy more of the same?

Umm... you are the one who started it by making it into a "Sony exclusive" thing.That's classic fanboy material right there :

Wow. You are trying too hard.

Deal with it, Dark Souls is Demon's Souls 2. The only diference is the name because Demon's Souls is a Sony IP, but everything else is exactly (or almost) the same.

Sony can use the Demon's Souls IP and hire a new developer, but it won't be the same because FROM is not going to be involved in any way. Having "Demon's Souls" in the title doesn't make a Demon's Souls game. If Capcom develops games in the vein of Monster Hunter is only because they know how to do it.

I honestly cant imagine SONY doing anything with the Demons Souls IP that doesn't involve contracting From Software to make the game

Pretty sure they have all of their resources into other things unless its what Miyasaki has been up to.

Highly doubt it though.

Eh... I don't see another one being made. I think Dark Souls will be the focus from now on.

Well if Sony wanted to do anything with the IP they bought they would have to have another team attempt to do something with it or pay (contract) From to do it.

Not sure but I think both of those are unlikely scenarios. Rumors have been suggesting otherwise forever at this point though so whatever.

web01

Hopefully they are working on a Shadow Tower Abyss / Kings Field spiritual successor with 1st person combat up to the standards of Dark Souls. Could be a big success. Most first person games built around melee combat do a piss poor job especially the number one seller in the genre.

DemonNite

I would like to see Demon Souls 2 made in partnership with From Software and Japan Studio.

But I heard the original director (Miyazaki?) isn't working on Dark Souls 2. What might he be up to? I fantasize it might be Demon Souls 2 for PS4 and Vita (but its probably not).

Whatever Miyazaki is doing, I'm sure all Souls fans will enjoy it. Me included ;D

Tex117

Banned
Hopefully they are working on a Shadow Tower Abyss / Kings Field spiritual successor with 1st person combat up to the standards of Dark Souls. Could be a big success.

Hmm, not sure if this is a good idea for them. A FPSRPG like Kings Field will be viewed as really going head to head with the Elder Scrolls and might get more critical backlash or consumer backlash. ZOMG NOT SKYRIM?!?!?!

I would say that Mizyaki (sp) just needs to do what he does and see what comes out.

Demon's Souls 2 would be great (just because its more Souls), but Id love to see what else he can come up with.

How about Mizyaki and Matsuno collaboration?!

And if anyone...ANYONE thinks Dark Souls is not really "Demon's Souls 2", then wow...just wow.

Top Bottom