• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's absolutely no chance that Sony would ever make a Demon's Souls 2 (right?)

K.Sabot

Demon's Souls 2 being revealed to take place in the Giant's Archstone, which would be a giant open world.

Would be so hype.

Deep Down? It's not even Sony-published. If anything, I see it as a temporary stopgap exclusivity buy from Sony while they work on the actual game.

As for how people can believe it? Considering that Sony is hiring the same devs who worked on God Eater to basically make a scifi version of God Eater with spiderman twist,why not?

Poor comparison. 10 of 11 of Shift's games are PS exclusive. It's not like God Eater was a multiplat game and Shift are now doing a Sony exclusive version.

I want more Souls games no matter the source
except Soul Sacrifice
But Dark Souls has the superior systems so I'd prefer it in that style.

Steez

I mean, more Souls is always great, but Demon's Souls 2 would be basically Dark Souls 3/Demon's Souls 4.

There are barely any real differences between both to consider them two separate things imo.

Poor comparison. 10 of 11 of Shift's games are PS exclusive. It's not like God Eater was a multiplat game and Shift are now doing a Sony exclusive version.

And why was the 1/11 game not a PS-exclusive? Because Nintendo was the publisher/paid for it. I don't think Shift has any plarform loyalty whatsoever, they're just making games that they were paid to develop, and it just so happens that it mostly turns out to be Playstation stuff because Sony paid for it/PSP was a lucrative platform for MH games back then.

Right now, the only situations which prevent Sony from funding another Souls game, are the following:

- Bamco doesn't appreciate Sony creating a competing product of the same style/genre.

I think the existence of Freedom Wars is already a sign that Sony is more than willing to put its own stamp on its own IP in the same genre, even if it means stepping on toes of 3rd-party games that are exclusive/on Sony's platforms.

- From doesn't want to do it. They're no longer interested in working on single-platform exclusives.

This is definitely possible. The popularity of Dark Souls atm could very well create a scenario where From would rather accept Bamco's money to make Dark 3/4/5 instead of Demon 2/3/4.

DemonNite

And why was the 1/11 game not a PS-exclusive? Because Nintendo was the publisher/paid for it. I don't think Shift has any plarform loyalty whatsoever, they're just making games that they were paid to develop, and it just so happens that it mostly turns out to be Playstation stuff because Sony paid for it/PSP was a lucrative platform for MH games back then.

Right now, the only situations which prevent Sony from funding another Souls game, are the following:

- Bamco doesn't appreciate Sony creating a competing product of the same style/genre.

I think the existence of Freedom Wars is already a sign that Sony is more than willing to put its own stamp on its own IP in the same genre, even if it means stepping on toes of 3rd-party games that are exclusive/on Sony's platforms.

- From doesn't want to do it. They're no longer interested in working on single-platform exclusives.

This is definitely possible. The popularity of Dark Souls atm could very well create a scenario where From would rather accept Bamco's money to make Dark 3/4/5 instead of Demon 2/3/4.

iokLfUPalrOqs.png

duckroll

For what it's worth, From seems to be interested in the opposite. They publish Dark Souls themselves in Japan, and it's a PS3 exclusive. They develop the 360 and PC versions for the international audience because they're important markets for Bandai Namco, but From themselves provides direct support only for the PS3 stuff in Japan.

Prototype

I don't see why both can't exist. I'd gladly purchase both. It'd also be interesting to see what direction a new Demons Souls would take. Finally, I think it'd make for a great exclusive on Sony's machine.

halfbeast

Banned

yeah, that's why Dark Souls is ps3 exclusive in japan (and published by From). they also said no to a 3D dot game heroes for the 360, even though the developer was willing to do it.

they're a rather simple group of people. I doubt they crave the multiplatform money as many think they would. and I bet you can see whip scars on their backs for making the pc version, because that was something totally out of their comfort zone.

edit: beaten by duckroll. :)

Peff

For what it's worth, From seems to be interested in the opposite. They publish Dark Souls themselves in Japan, and it's a PS3 exclusive. They develop the 360 and PC versions for the international audience because they're important markets for Bandai Namco, but From themselves provides direct support only for the PS3 stuff in Japan.

Dark Souls 2 360 is getting a Japanese release though, isn't it? Is that published by From or Namco?

Could be wrong but I think From are publishing Dark Souls 2 on 360 in Japan. On Amazon JP it says by フロム・ソフトウェア while the import version is by Namco.

Edit: too late.

Jobbs

Banned
Sometimes the most obvious thing is the thing (Souls series popular, Miyazaki working on mystery project, FS/Sony seem to like eachother) I do expect Demon's Souls 2 on PS4. I think it'll be announced before the end of this year. Predictionz.

Holders of popular IPs that would sell big don't just ignore it. Sony knows Demon's 2 would sell well.

This desire is based on the lore, right? To the point where fans would accept a different developer as long as The lore was the same? Madness. Dark souls lore is fine.

DEO3

Wait, I've never played either (though I do own Dark Souls on Steam), but I always thought Dark Souls was Demon's Souls 2?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wait, I've never played either (though I do own Dark Souls on Steam), but I always thought Dark Souls was Demon's Souls 2?
It basically is. A Demons Souls 2 wouldn't make sense except if they changed it dramatically in terms of gameplay.

Famassu

without some kind of incentive (i mean cash, a lot of it, something that Sony lacks of).
You mean... that Sony PUBLISHES the game? Yeah, that is completely unheard of. Sony never publishes any games.

And they do have money to pay for one Demon's Souls level game's development, duh, especially if they see it as a profitable venture now that Demon's Souls, Dark Souls & Dark Souls II have been building reputation for these kinds of games.

Plenty of developers have gone from exclusives to multiplatforms to exclusives. Platinum Games has developed several exclusive games and several multiplatforms. Insomniac went from being almost like a Sony owned company to multiplatform to another Sony exclusive game to Microsoft exclusive. Some multiplatform releases doesn't mean they'll never develop an exclusive ever again.

It's not. If Sony wants to do Demon's Souls 2 and get FROM aboard & publish it, they will develop an actual Demon's Souls 2.

For the billionth time, Dark Souls is not Demon's Souls 2

That's like saying Sonic is fucking Mario 2 because they go right and fucking jump
Demons Souls was also an unbalanced mess. Magic alone was hilariously broken. Dont even front.
Because Dark Souls was also super balanced pre patches right? Crystal Ring Shield sends its regards.

Deep Down is Sony's attempt on making its own Demon's Souls. That game clearly takes after Demon's Souls, while adding the whole randomly generated dungeons angle in a misguided attempt to appeal to the western gamer (Capcom being Capcom). All that will do is hurt the game's level-design.

I don't know how people could possibly believe we can have a true Demon's Soul 2 now that Dark Souls is off and running.

Deep Down is more like MH + medieval setting. Unless you think Souls series created the medieval fantasy genre then I don't see much similarities.

No. Same mechanics (to an extent), different lore and different world. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor.

I don't see why people think Sony and FROm can't make DeS2 even more different than DS2. Not to mention it would be a next gen game.

I don't see why people think Sony and FROm can't make DeS2 even more different than DS2. Not to mention it would be a next gen game.
Specially when Dark Souls didn't actually build upon what made Demon's what it was but changed a lot of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love Dark, but saying Demon's 2 would be the same game by making stuff like magic, HUB world, world and character tendencies and human/soul form systems more complex is silly.

Specially when Dark Souls didn't actually build upon what made Demon's what it was but changed a lot of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love Dark, but saying Demon's 2 would be the same game by making stuff like magic, HUB world, world and character tendencies and human/soul form systems more complex is silly.

Dark Souls 2 has a HUB world too. Dark Souls is, for all intents and purposes, Demon's Souls 2. Things change in sequels too. But if you look at the things that are EXACTLY the same such as Crystal lizards, upgrade system, weapon system, combat system etc. You realise that this is simply the game that FROM wanted to make.

I would just like a next gen version of the series with some new gameplay mechanics...i was worn out with dark souls (only put in 39hrs) where I tripled that with the first...can't get excited for more of the same...want a next gen iteration, don't care what title it has on it...

This desire is based on the lore, right? To the point where fans would accept a different developer as long as The lore was the same? Madness. Dark souls lore is fine.
Not really, the story or lore is yawn inducing. I'd just like more of it, having Dark one year and Demons the next with some differences would be pretty ace.

Bedlam

The discussions over whether DkS is DeS2 are stupid. If Sony and From want to make DeS2, it'll happen; regardless of how any of us think about this.

I don't think any Souls fan would accept a different developer than From Software. But having played both DeS and DkS, I can totally see the unique appeal of each game. DeS is darker, more bleak and desolate. Some people prefer that mood over that of DkS and want more of it. (I myself prefer DkS overall)

You mean... that Sony PUBLISHES the game? Yeah, that is completely unheard of. Sony never publishes any games.

And they do have money to pay for one Demon's Souls level game's development, duh, especially if they see it as a profitable venture now that Demon's Souls, Dark Souls & Dark Souls II have been building reputation for these kinds of games.
More importantly, Sony funds somewhat risky vanity projects now and then to increase desire for their hardware. That's why games like SotC, Journey, Heavy Rain and The Last of Us exist. Having an exclusive Souls game would be a huge draw factor for the core audience. Many people, me included, bought a PS3 mainly for Demon's Souls after having played Dark Souls and wanting more.

Dark Souls 2 has a HUB world too. Dark Souls is, for all intents and purposes, Demon's Souls 2. Things change in sequels too. But if you look at the things that are EXACTLY the same such as Crystal lizards, upgrade system, weapon system, combat system etc. You realise that this is simply the game that FROM wanted to make.
Nothing in Dark Souls is similar to the Nexus after you stop going to Firelink so often.

I know things change in sequels and I know there's a lot of stuff that's the same, but is it so hard to understand I want a game where things didn't change? I want more linear levels for better PVP and progression, I want to be able to actually build my character around magic without having to worry about charges or finding bonfires, I want death to be more impactful on gameplay as opposed to "well you can't be invaded and you look like a rotting corpse now", I want more Boletaria and it's characters, I want it on a next gen system, and so on.

I just want a "next gen" Souls game. I don't care if it's Demon's, Dark or whatever they come up with next, as long as it's the same quality as the previous ones.

Does no-one here even know about Another Centuries Episode: R and Gundam Unicorn?

I know them, I'm just stating a hypothetical scenario that FROM decides that they don't want to accept Sony's request to make that game. Hypothetical.

If only to appease those who think that FROM is somehow above and beyond accepting development jobs to make games like Steel Battalion and Gundam games.

I have 4 Another Centuries game. T_T

Unless they take it in a drastically different direction from Dark Souls, I don't really see the point, and I suppose the market wouldn't either.

I mean, more Souls is always great, but Demon's Souls 2 would be basically Dark Souls 3/Demon's Souls 4.

There are barely any real differences between both to consider them two separate things imo.

more souls is always great. & i'm pretty sure the 'market' for these games would not disagree...

2 series with similar environments/gameplay. like that's never been done, & done successfully? c'mon :) ...

Prototype

My understanding has always been that Dark Souls is a "spiritual successor" to Demons Souls, and not a sequel in the traditional sense.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
My understanding has always been that Dark Souls is a "spiritual successor" to Demons Souls, and not a sequel in the traditional sense.

Your understanding is correct. The main correlations are in taste, aesthetic and mechanics. They are not part of the same universe.

In this sense, I imagine Miyazaki is currently working on what he feels is another "spiritual successor". However this time I wouldn't be surprised if taste, aesthetic and mechanics have changed significantly enough to branch off from the Dark Souls series.

They are smart enough not to dilute their own market with multiple medieval fantasy games. However, they will no doubt stay true to their core philosophy and "dark", almost Lovecraftian roots.

Top Bottom