• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

Infinite

Art came in this thread and said they've had EVO monitors for over a year now.

I guess by the time they got them, everyone was already going to HoC/their own sessions. I know for sure the The Arena guys and people at The Break only go out there so often because of how hard it is to get to (especially for Jersey).

Why pay the $5 for the name if you can get a similar scene nearby, potentially even for free/less? That's my inference for what's going on. Same experience, perhaps even more valuable because it's not as open of a venue and they can run long sets and/or it's game-focused.

When some people are paying tolls, etc. to get there, it adds up.

but bum charges people to enter his tourneys too.

Silky

Banned
I bought P4A because I intend to play P4AU so I can be Joon-pay da gahd

In GG i like characters like Johnny and A.B.A and in BB I like Tao, what play as

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
but bum charges people to enter his tourneys too.
Does he charge as much as NLBC's venue + tournament though? I doubt it.

Also key is that Bum doesn't just runs tournaments, runs sessions far more often than tournaments, which people seem to like/prefer. People wanted to run sessions with Chris G too, but the only way he'd let you is if you paid to get into his/LB's Zoned Out.

Infinite

Does he charge as much as NLBC's venue + tournament though? I doubt it.

Also key is that Bum doesn't just runs tournaments, runs sessions far more often than tournaments, which people seem to like/prefer. People wanted to run sessions with Chris G too, but the only way he'd let you is if you paid to get into his/LB's Zoned Out.

not sure but i think you have to pay to get into his sessions if you're some random. A lot of his sessions are just him and people he feels like inviting IE his friends and top players.

Art came in this thread and said they've had EVO monitors for over a year now.

I guess by the time they got them, everyone was already going to HoC/their own sessions. I know for sure the The Arena guys and people at The Break only go out there so often because of how hard it is to get to (especially for Jersey).

Why pay the $5 for the name if you can get a similar scene nearby, potentially even for free/less? That's my inference for what's going on. Same experience, perhaps even more valuable because it's not as open of a venue and they can run long sets and/or it's game-focused.

When some people are paying tolls, etc. to get there, it adds up.

I can understand that. My thing was if it was all the same considering, then I don't know why 5 extra will be a big deal.Rome

But if things were leaning toward not going to NL, then I could see the extra 5 being the tipping point to not go.

Like for me, when I used to try to go to wnf and driving from the Westside was alot of rush hour time and gas money. And extra 5 wouldn't away me not to go. The time in traffic and time constrains were what made me stop going.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can understand that. My thing was if it was all the same considering, then I don't know why 5 extra will be a big deal.Rome

But if things were leaning toward not going to NL, then I could see the extra 5 being the tipping point to not go.

Like for me, when I used to try to go to wnf and driving from the Westside was alot of rush hour time and gas money. And extra 5 wouldn't away me not to go. The time in traffic and time constrains were what made me stop going.
Perhaps, but I'm firmly against counting other people's money because you don't know of the circumstance. As something you put money into week by week, I definitely think people would considering alternatives or at least reconsider what they're getting out of it even if they have been coming consistently.

Again, this is all hearsay, we don't know if they actually increased it or not. I guess it's a bad look for Marvel, but really, from both a competition and entertainment perspective, I've found myself watching HoC a lot more (it's also convenient for my schedule, which makes me sort of biased too).

BIGWORM

Just finally got back from SCR. My friend Peacewalker taking down Incog in Tekken Tag 2 was pretty hype.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm hoping to see more Potemkin Xrd tech. Definitely doesn't look as scary as his AC iterations so far.

He's one of my favorite grapplers to use (Zangief's the other), and I even like his new design as well.

From an ideological standpoint sure, but from a business standpoint no. That's something inherent to fighting games and most other esports. Anybody remember Gary Kasparov's words of wisdom from a few months ago? This is that situation right here.

I don't think of such an outcome as unacceptable. Which is why people need to stop with the e-sports delusions of grandeur and scale shit the fuck down instead of going nuts chasing money that isn't there.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nemo just tweeted his impression on which characters are strong in Xrd
https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/440645864394997761

Zato, Faust
Sol, Ky, Millia, May
Axl, Chipp, I-No, Bedman
Slayer, Venom
Potemkin
yeah, he doesn't look very good in xrd imo. or, to be honest, very interesting either :(
While I do like YRCs since they're less execution heavy and help characters on all their tools compared to FRCs, it's a shame that I feel like YRCs are sort of a tell for Potemkin. The time slow basically tells them they're going to have to deal with a grab mixup. Not like I played it though, but that's what it looks like.

Kimosabae

Banned
Basic 2D or VT knock downs into 3H oki

if you want them to tech in the corner on you do 5K into 3H on knockdown.

The EX chain I'm talking about is the Charge stun edge one, the damage and wall splat on it now is awesome

Ky's new FB chain is ChargeStunEdge>LightningSphere>ChargeDrive
236D>4D>46D

Ky's 3H is a Mid, so the closest thing you have to a setup is frametraps. Outside of that, it's plain ol' footsies. You don't ever really expect to hit with 3H, the startup is barely faster than your Dust. 3H is mostly for jacking up the guard bar. Hitting with it requires a killer read.

Easiest frame trap is c.S-3H
The gap inbetween the close slash and 3H is rather big, so spacing is important to avoid many people's jabs. Close Slash is -3 on block though, so there aren't a lot of ways to mix it up with your 3H and something else.

Best frametraps are with StunEdge FRC, or after they block a CSE.

And 3H frametraps for itself just as well as c.S does. 3H is +15 on block, so it's whats coming after your 3H that people tend to fear of. And sometimes a 3H comes after your 3H.

Thanks y'all.

Yeah after looking at the frame data I realized 3H was more of a pressure tool/preemptive approach/CH stuffer. Sucks, I started a fun confirm off it but at least it's jump cancelable.

Doesn the 234D have to be input within a specific window when trying to do LS? I find I can't get it to come out consistently. Especially after 6K. Really weird.

*edit*

What are people doing after the Chrage Drove wall splat? Standard AC bob (cr. HS, j.k, j.s, double jump etc)?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Crazy how much Aqua used to look like Usher

1013854_529002993863933_270773409_n.jpg

Dahbomb

Someone help an idiot like me and explain what TI4 is...
DOTA 2 international tournament, biggest there is. $2 million+ prize easily. Hype as fuck too, only second to EVO.

Seems that Marvel GAF got to the bottom of the Firebrand unblockable set up and the exact anatomy of it is figured out with an escape. Will give more in depth explanation while we get some more confirmation.

I was thinking the other day that it would have been cool for Sony to respond to Microsoft's Killer Instinct by bringing back another old FG IP. I think a new Bloody Roar would have been a cool idea. I played Bloody Roar 2 and later 4, a bit back in the day and always have have fond memories of them. If it was re-imagined like K.I. was I think it could be made into a pretty great game. edit: I meant to add, that I think this would also be a great game to show of PS4s graphical power.

Series has a ton of potential and I think the transform mechanic alone could not only add a lot to a serious fighting game, but also looks cool, and if somewhat challenging to perform, could be really hype in tournament settings. I would also suggest just going with a 2D plane and 3D assets like SF4 and other recent fighting games do.

The game wouldn't need to have a gigantic cast (at least not at first) because every character is essentially 2 characters, their normal self + their transformed self. Different hit and hurt boxes, different lengths of attacks/pokes, different frame data, maybe even different input commands, ect. A starting cast of 12 characters could go a long way.

I could imagine a character that is terrible normally but becomes one of the best characters once she transforms. Knowing this the meta about the match up would change. Your opponent would know that you are eager to transform and would try to stop you, creating a natural, as opposed to forced, tension in the match up. Making her transformation difficult to do would add to this tension so long as the payoff was worth it.

another example could be the opposite, a character who is great normally, but whose transformation is near useless, actually making him a worse character. This would be interesting as I believe this character would have to be really good considering most people wouldn't even bother to learn the match up, or fear it, against his transformed state because it's so weak. Maybe then players would use this to their advantage and transform anywhere to throw people off their game, since users wouldn't be expecting a player to intentionally "weaken" themselves.

ok, i think i wrote too much

What is this, console wars fanfiction?

Mr. X

Xrd Pot

They need to bring some of his AC changes notably vacuum effect on a hit/blocked crS, Heat Knuckle dropping the opponent in front (currently no reason to not do Extend after Heat Knuckle since they both launch opp away). I don't like his new 6K either.

I have seen no footage of his new ground special being put to any good use yet.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
DOTA 2 international tournament, biggest there is. $2 million+ prize easily. Hype as fuck too, only second to EVO.

Seems that Marvel GAF got to the bottom of the Firebrand unblockable set up and the exact anatomy of it is figured out with an escape. Will give more in depth explanation while we get some more confirmation.

Ah, I would get into DOTA2 but I already juggle enough games. Seems like EVO it is.

While I do like YRCs since they're less execution heavy and help characters on all their tools compared to FRCs, it's a shame that I feel like YRCs are sort of a tell for Potemkin. The time slow basically tells them they're going to have to deal with a grab mixup. Not like I played it though, but that's what it looks like.

yeah, i was stoked for grab mixup potential when i first found out about yrc, but after thinking about it for 10 minutes and finding out that buster isn't instant and backdash is invincible and heat knuckle always launches, i was like, bah. spend 25 meter for a mixup that can be escaped and, outside of the corner, has a clearly preferable option for the opponent? bah. i hope they didn't balance his strength around yrc mixups.

also that air self-launcher thingy looks like total butt, obv you're supposed to yrc or rrc (red roman cancel? or just roman cancel? or what) it, but even then it looks like butt

Rhapsody

Banned
yeah, i was stoked for grab mixup potential when i first found out about yrc, but after thinking about it for 10 minutes and finding out that buster isn't instant and backdash is invincible and heat knuckle always launches, i was like, bah. spend 25 meter for a mixup that can be escaped and, outside of the corner, has a clearly preferable option for the opponent? bah. i hope they didn't balance his strength around yrc mixups.

also that air self-launcher thingy looks like total butt, obv you're supposed to yrc or rrc (red roman cancel? or just roman cancel? or what) it, but even then it looks like butt

Yeah, I have no idea what that move is properly used for. Only uses I saw were what you mentioned.
It's like he's trying to compete for silliest move with Q.

ismk

I'm surprised by how many small technical difficulties the Gootecks and Mike Ross Show have even now. You would think a streaming company would have everything on lock.

Top Bottom