• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Jocchan said:
do people with the red tint problem (or any visualization issue) still have it with GCN games? Or do they work fine?

I have the red tint through rgb on ntsc wii games, but ntsc GC games work fine. It's odd. Luckily for me my tv runs Brawl in colour through composite.

Ramenman said:
Also, Er, we have a problem with Mario Golf TT. Someone says it works, and someone else says it doesnt...

I was the one who said it worked, my mistake. Just checked it out and the game loads up fine but crashes during gameplay.

chunk3rvd

I've been hanging back to see how this pans out before I buy and todays events have made me realise one thing:

I'd be happy for Nintendo to continue blocking Freeloaders forever if it means that a working Action Replay never makes it to the market. I dread the day when I play an opponent on Mario Strikers that has infinite items or something.

lopaz

Banned
wsippel said:
The Truncha Signer is an application that signs executables so that the Wii will run them, but it doesn't use Nintendos private key. There was a bug in IOS versions prior to 37 that allowed to run those applications (IOS1 to IOS36 only checked if an application was signed, but it didn't check what key it used), and Freeloader seems to use the same bug. The current update doesn't block anything yet, because the loader (Disk Channel) still uses an older IOS version. As soon as the loader is updated to use the latest IOS version, it'll block applications exploiting this bug, including Freeloader.

I also don't really think Nintendo fixed the bug to block Freeloader, but mostly to stop cheaters and hinder pirates.

Crap. If the freeloader is using the same technique as piracy, you can be damn sure it'll get blocked. The only hope is that the alternative boot method can save it from future updates. I don't care about Wiiware, just don't block my precious Brawl :(

Ramenman

Air Zombie Meat said:
I have the red tint through rgb on ntsc wii games, but ntsc GC games work fine. It's odd. Luckily for me my tv runs Brawl in colour through composite.

I was the one who said it worked, my mistake. Just checked it out and the game loads up fine but crashes during gameplay.

Okay thanks ;)

chunk3rvd said:
I've been hanging back to see how this pans out before I buy and todays events have made me realise one thing:

I'd be happy for Nintendo to continue blocking Freeloaders forever if it means that a working Action Replay never makes it to the market. I dread the day when I play an opponent on Mario Strikers that has infinite items or something.

If Nintendo ran a real online service, it could fucking block hacks and exploits better by doing everything SERVER SIDE like MOST MMOs which catch hacks, dupes and all sorts of crap people use to cheat. If Nintendo actively sought to block Action Replay and Freeloader, and was saying so (not stealth updates that we aren't sure about), I will be writing a scathing piece telling Nintendo exactly where it can shove it's region locking. I seriously fucking hate region shit, in every medium.

Note: I don't like AR in terms of using it to gain unfair advantages, I like how it has unlocked so much stuff gamers would never have known about, and it has been a very useful tool to the knowledge base of hardcore gamers. People who use it to cheat online are morons.

Peer to peer connections are actually a good choice though because it means in places like Australia where nobody ever builds servers we can play lag free.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Didn't Nintendo accidently block the previous Freeloader?

Anyways I updated my Wii...tonight and yes the Freeloader works...just thought I'd add further comfirmation...:D

I'm not sure Nintendo will actively try to stop Datel and their Freeloader...if they wanted as someone said they could have easily stopped Datel and other companies in the past like Sony did.

I'm currently going through both Smash and NMH's slowly...it's lead to some very fruitful gaming sessions...

lopaz

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Didn't Nintendo accidently block the previous Freeloader?

Anyways I updated my Wii...tonight and yes the Freeloader works...just thought I'd add further comfirmation...:D

I'm not sure Nintendo will actively try to stop Datel and their Freeloader...if they wanted as someone said they could have easily stopped Datel and other companies in the past like Sony did.

I'm currently going through both Smash and NMH's slowly...it's lead to some very fruitful gaming sessions...

My own experience is indicating that quite a lot of people are freeloader-ing. I know a few people myself who have, so nationwide it's probably going to lose NOE a fair few sales for Brawl come its release date.

Mithos

chunk3rvd said:

Actually people have already with this Signing bug edited some games.

Manhunt 2 without the censoring.

Super Smash Brow Brawl with edited chars, stats.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Mithos said:
Super Smash Brow Brawl with edited chars, stats.

Really? :eek:

I did have one experience with some guy online used Sonic...but within 10 seconds or so he managed to get me to 100% with only a couple of hits...

I was truly baffled....

Kafel

Banned
From this wiibrew website :

Fuck the world and everyone in it.

Happy April Fools....

We got everyone.

Didnt your mother ever tell you DONT believe everything you read on the internet.

Proven

chunk3rvd said:

F#A#Oo said:
Really? :eek:

I did have one experience with some guy online used Sonic...but within 10 seconds or so he managed to get me to 100% with only a couple of hits...

I was truly baffled....

*sigh* Why get Action Replay when you can just use the Free Loader now? (at least it sounds a bit more difficult)

Ramenman

lopaz said:
My own experience is indicating that quite a lot of people are freeloader-ing. I know a few people myself who have, so nationwide it's probably going to lose NOE a fair few sales for Brawl come its release date.

The Sale argument is wrong.

Er, wait 3 minutes so I can find my old post about that :lazyness: :D

Edit : That's it

Please people, don't go thinking this will have a real impact on sales.

Just consider that fact : Even some PAL gaffers (by what I mean "in the know" people and not your casual gamer) have a Nintendo DS (by what I mean a totally region free console right out of the box) and still wait the damn wait to buy their games at a higher price in PAL version.

My point obviously being : Some gamers in the minority of people who know about import and its benefits don't use import when it's officially supported by their system.

So don't go thinking we'll all see Smash Brawl flopping in Europe.

Still my opinion.

Mithos

Kafel said:

Fuck the world and everyone in it.

Happy April Fools....

We got everyone.

Didnt your mother ever tell you DONT believe everything you read on the internet.

Show me, coz its nowhere to be found.

Oh and btw they closed the wiki for editing without register and account first is seems, so no more idiots editing for fun/destruction on Wiibrew.

Flipside

Tested some Gamecube titles.

Won't boot at all:

Sonic Heroes US on a PAL console
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III US on a PAL console
Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition US on a PAL console
Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures US on a PAL console
Mario Kart Double Dash US on a PAL console
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes US on a PAL console

F-Zero GX US on a PAL console (Boots but screen goes black after selecting a track)

Seems weird that none of these titles work :/ I waited about 30 seconds after booting. Seems far fetched I have to wait any longer.

x3sphere

Kafel said:

Not an April fools joke, someone vandalized the site. The guys over at Wiibrew know what they are talking about... if a future game or update activates IOS37 the FreeLoader will be blocked.

x3sphere said:
Not an April fools joke, someone vandalized the site. The guys over at Wiibrew know what they are talking about... if a future game or update activates IOS37 the FreeLoader will be blocked.

Can't find that either... Can you link?

Ramenman

Well, it's definitely a Wii Freeloader. Looks like the list is going to be more useful for GC games than for Wii games.

alex1893

any word on PES 2008 US on a PAL Wii yet? seems I'm gonna be first one to test it. My copy just shipped today along with Zack & Wiki, ETA is between March 28th and April 2nd.

Awesome, both games together including shipping for about 53 euro, if it goes through the customs it'll be an additional 10 euro for local VAT and duty fees. But that's fine, if I'd buy it here (Germany) regularly it would be nearly 100 euro for both games. :D

MidiSurf

Banned
Does this game work with Freeloader ?

52642.jpg

... God why did i sold my NTSC-Wii :(

... Oh yeah profit :D.

lopaz

Banned
Ramenman said:
Well, it's definitely a Wii Freeloader. Looks like the list is going to be more useful for GC games than for Wii games.

ramenguy, I'll be so sad if a game that I want requires an update that breaks freeloader
:(. Comfort me and soothe my woes

F#A#Oo

Banned
I hope Datel are good with their word and do provide new disks to those that might be afflect by any future updates...

I wouldn't even mind a small fee...

Got my Freeloader today. Smassssh =) Broken arrrrm =(

Simple Wii Series vol. 4: The Shooting Action JPN works on PAL if anyone cares (you shouldn't!)

freeloading002.jpg

And Simple Wii Series vol. 6: The Wai Wai Combat JPN on PAL

freeloading001.jpg

(This one seems pretty fun!)

Both have issues with some menu screens though, as in not displaying whatever text is supposed to be there. It's not much a problem, just mash A and you eventually get into the games.

(GC) Mega Man Network Transmission US DOESN'T WORK on PAL, just get a fancy blank screen upon booting up.

farnham

Banned
i got brawl... but the disc just wont read... damn i guess this is that disc read errors from the first launch units... :lol :lol

I have a question. Are US NTSC save games compatible with PAL versions of the game?

So say I imported the US Smash Bros with a freeloader and saved the game. Now if i later sold the US version and picked up the PAL version of Smash, would my save work with it? I'm guessing not.. has anyone tried it? With any other Wii games too?

F#A#Oo

Banned
farnham said:
i got brawl... but the disc just wont read... damn i guess this is that disc read errors from the first launch units... :lol :lol

I had that at first...it was a black screen of death-esque...

Just put the freeloader in twice...and then put SSB:B or what ever in...

Btw has anyone had their Wii drive make a massive amount of noise? A stuttering and scratching sound that fills the whole room? I had this happen to me this morning...I thought my Wii was going to explode...I immediately turned my Wii off...

It was fine after...though...

crispyben

My copy of SSBB shipped from VG+ on the 17th and hasn't showed yet (in France). My two previous orders were there in 4-5 days. What's your experience with them these days?

D-X

F#A#Oo said:

Btw has anyone had their Wii drive make a massive amount of noise? A stuttering and scratching sound that fills the whole room? I had this happen to me this morning...I thought my Wii was going to explode...I immediately turned my Wii off...

Mine clicks with every turn of the disc sometimes on loading but seems fine afterwards

Chao

Allright, so I load this freeloader thing, then I put SSBB in and I see everything red. Okay, that's the red tint (fucking stupid and I WANT IT FIXED NOW) problem, so I hook the crappy RCA cables. Now I'm seeing everything in B/W.

Wow... awesome choice to play the game I've waiting for years, BW or RED, which one do I dislike the least?

Vrk

Just received it, I have only GC games to test it for now:

Baten Kaitos Origins USA on PAL console - OK
Konjiki no GashBell Yujyo TagBattle 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Luigi Mansion JPN on PAL console - OK but black flickering lines at the top of the screen
Nintendo Puzzle Collection JPN on PAL console - Does not load... I want to play Panel de Pon damnit :(
WaveRace BlueStorm JPN on PAL console - OK but black flickering lines at the top of the screen
R:Racing Evolution JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Zelda 4 Swords JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Kururin Squash!! JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Viewtiful Joe JPN on PAL console - OK but slow cinematics
P.N.03 JPN on PAL console - OK
Auto Modellista US Tuned JPN on PAL console - Perfect (fuck yeah!)
Kinnikuman 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Viewtiful Joe 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Billy Hatcher JPN on PAL console - OK
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Super Robot wars GC JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Mario Golf Familiy Tour JPN on PAL console - Resets on course
Rockman X Command Mission JPN on PAL console - Does not load
Giftpia JPN on PAL console - Does not load

GC compatilibty is really a joke, most games do not work and generally they are slower than they should be (while they worked perfectly on a PAL GC + Freeloader)

Chao

J. M. Romeo said:
C'mon, Fa, don't you have an old VCR around? You have a SACD player at home but not a VCR? (Or are you at the student funhouse?)

I have the ONO decoder, but it won't work either. B/W all the way (I'm at the student super duper funhouse).

farnham

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

no it just wont recognize the disc on the wii menu

lopaz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
C'mon, Fa, don't you have an old VCR around? You have a SACD player at home but not a VCR? (Or are you at the student funhouse?)

A VCR? What does a VCR do? Tell me please, I have one of those! It may help me with my problems

tsef

no it just wont recognize the disc on the wii menu

I am in the same situation as you, when I insert the disk the drives clicks but doesn't spin. I'll try to see if nintendo will take care of it but I am afraid it will cost me at least 55 euros :/

lopaz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I think it's like a big box with a hole in which you put smaller plastic boxes that have like tape rolled into them? You can put a book inside, but those don't fit so nicely. When I was a little kid, I forced a tin of Nivea body lotion into a BETAMAX VCR and forcibly closed it.

Aah, those were the times.

Thanks a lot douchebag :p what does it do in relation to the freeloader?

lopaz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
This douchebag already stated what the VCR does in relation to the red tint last Friday. Since you are so kind and nice with the name calling, I will leave for you the pleasure of skimming a whopping page or so of posts to find it -_-

I put a ":p". That makes any statement tongue-in-cheek and jovial.

lopaz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Hence the extremely harsh punishment of finding my post a couple of pages earlier (I sort them by 100, so your mileage may vary). Anyway, as I was trying to explain to my dearest friend Chao, I got the red tint at my GF's but using a VCR as a passthrough to connect the Wii to the TV (Wii->RGB->VCR->RF->TV if that does make any sense to you) the red tint was gone. But he can't get it to work with his ONO (a Cable operator) decoder.

thankyew :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
alex1893 said:
any word on PES 2008 US on a PAL Wii yet? seems I'm gonna be first one to test it. My copy just shipped today along with Zack & Wiki, ETA is between March 28th and April 2nd.

Awesome, both games together including shipping for about 53 euro

I'm also lookin' for a cheap PES2008 Wii fix, did you order it from VG+ by any chance?
[Sorry for the derailing guys]

Why would you want to connect through a VCR to get RF in the end? Don't you have your composite cables that you got with your Wii? RF is just yuck.

Chao

AndyMoogle said:
Why would you want to connect through a VCR to get RF in the end? Don't you have your composite cables that you got with your Wii? RF is just yuck.

Because connecting through RCA=B/W picture (at least on my TV).

Thanks for nothing Datel!

Dash Kappei said:
I'm also lookin' for a cheap PES2008 Wii fix, did you order it from VG+ by any chance?
[Sorry for the derailing guys]
Blah has it for around 41€ delivered. It's not that much cheaper to import (6-7€). Not worth the hassle of inserting Freeloader every time for me.

Sule

I doubt anybody imported Opoona (US to PAL) and tried to play it with the freeloader but I'll ask anyway, does anybody know if it works? Also, will, or has, Datel test(ed) games themselves and post(ed) an official list with games that work?

lopaz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Good luck, though. I couldn't find a VCR for the life of me. Luckily I don't need it at home, I got an HDTV and component, but thank god my mother in law records a lot of movies off the TV.

Hm, my VCR is weird. There is no AV channel on the TV it's hooked up to, it just plays whatever channel you are on. I dunno how the Wii would fit into that equation.

Top Bottom