• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 Demand Will Outstrip Supply Into the Summer

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I expect XB1 with TF bundle where you get TF and a kinect camera for 499$ to negate PS4 cheaper price.

I expect xb1 to outsell ps4 by minimum 150k or 2:1

In the land of the free and home of the brave

I think the PS4 will sell more than 150k, but the XB1 will sell more than 300k as well I think.

Cess007

You can come to México and get one at a beautiful price of $580 US , you can se PS4 in stock in most of retailers. Xbone is at $660 btw. and even today you can find one day editions.

Well yeah, at +7k mexican pesos, only the hardcore fans/gamers are gonna buy them for a while. I suppose the 360/PS3 will remain as the consoles to buy for a while.

As this week is Infamous's launch, can we expect PS4 to again comfortably outsell Xbone as usual?

I think that could be the case in UK and US, unless they don't have the stock.

Alebrije

Well yeah, at +7k mexican pesos, only the hardcore fans/gamers are gonna buy them for a while. I suppose the 360/PS3 will remain as the consoles to buy for a while.

Yep , a lot of people is waiting for a bundle or something that give us something extra for that price , since it seems a price drop is an utopía these days.

gtj1092

Going to predict ps4 outsells xb1 by at least 100k in March if supply is really increasing compared to February and January. Base this this on Ps4 getting a delayed Feb tax return bump that all the other consoles got plus pent up demand as well as infamous bump. Really think people got the wrong impression last month with sales being so close. Wasn't much bigger than any other consoles bump last month. If there was ps4 supply I feel it would of got a bump like we every other console last month and the gap would of been bigger.

You can come to México and get one at a beautiful price of $580 US , you can se PS4 in stock in most of retailers. Xbone is at $660 btw. and even today you can find one day editions.

Only me finding the bolded misspell hilarious.

Edit: or if it was intentional GJ =)

gribbles

Banned
I'm really keen to see the March NPD numbers. Gonna lol if a game on two platforms with lots of aggressive marketing gets outsold by a game on one platform with less marketing.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I'm really keen to see the March NPD numbers. Gonna lol if a game on two platforms with lots of aggressive marketing gets outsold by a game on one platform with less marketing.

I think TF will outsell Infamous on NPD. XB1 sales alone, comfortably.

IvorB

Seems like Sony's got a hit on its hands. They reached out to gamers and gamers are responding in their millions. It always blows my mind to think how many millions of people play video games.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
I think TF will outsell Infamous on NPD. XB1 sales alone, comfortably.

I agree with you 100%. Not just because of dates but by all accounts it is a better game. I don't own an XB1 and I am not really interested in multiplayer shooters, but even I can tell from my shooter acquaintances that Titanfall is a genuinely good game. With a spark that people really dig. Whereas Infamous: SS (which I bought) is good but not breathtakingly innovative or different from it's history.

Getting this straight... I am a Sony zealot, loving everything they are doing in the Indie space. Sony deliver "different" games, more "interesting" games. But Titanfall was a canny buy on Microsoft's behalf. They did good and deserve the success, although I hate them for it too!

Doran902

Means nothing, but I still haven't seen a ps4 in my local walmart since launch but they have 6 xbox ones. Microsoft could just be shipping more though.

I expect both consoles to be successful and compete to the death, competition breeds quality and innovation x D.

N.Domixis

Banned
Means nothing, but I still haven't seen a ps4 in my local walmart since launch but they have 6 xbox ones. Microsoft could just be shipping more though.

I expect both consoles to be successful and compete to the death, competition breeds quality and innovation x D.

Honeslty, how can a console that is only relevant n the US be called successful?

Azsori

I'm quite sure that Sony will outsell Microsoft. In fact, I'm almost willing to bet on it.

I'm almost willing to take a bet on gravity continuing to pull objects towards the Earth this year.

Honeslty, how can a console that is only relevant n the US be called successful?

There are relevant places outside of the US? Sure thing buddy...
I am going to go back to playing Killzone on PS4, still didn't wrap up the campaign yet.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Seriously man? I thought we had long ago disproved that ridiculous statement, and yet people keep parroting it.

Doran902

Seriously man? I thought we had long ago disproved that ridiculous statement, and yet people keep parroting it.

I just figured that's life, in every aspect of life if you are trying to be the best and in order to do that you need to be better than everyone else and push yourself. Two companies competing to be the best can only benefit us.

Portugeezer

I thought that was more to do with people implying sales parity is the best outcome (which I agree is bullshit), not general competition.

MS and Sony will try to better eachothers consoles, not at everything, but a lot of things regardless.

It's pretty funny watching how people behave during the phenomenon of games consoles selling out. 'Oh, you'll have them back in soon? Nah can't be bothered reserving one, we'll just drive around the city going from store to store, getting more and more angry, to hear the same thing over and over.'

Renekton

I thought that was more to do with people implying sales parity is the best outcome (which I agree is bullshit), not general competition.

MS and Sony will try to better eachothers consoles, not at everything, but a lot of things regardless.
It can not be lopsided though.

Look at how reticent Intel is about desktops.

Nvzman

Makes me kinda happy I decided to buy in January. Even if there isn't any worthwhile games yet (except maybe Second Son), I still know I don't have to worry about getting the console to get a game.

Doran902

Uh, really? From what I heard, Microsoft's just breaking even off of each Xbox One console sold.

Xbox Live, Software, Overpriced Attachments / Controllers, Advertising etc

Pachter wrote an article(or maybe a pach attack) on how they lose a little bit of money on the console sale but make 1000 plus per console on average over its lifetime based on the 360 and all of the things listed above. I'll try to find it. And so far it has a larger install base than the 360 had at this point in their respective lifetimes.

Freeman

Banned
Did MS announce any numbers for Titanfall or the XOne Titanfall Bundle ?

I feel like people are been overconfident with their predictions.

Amazon has now PS4 available for the longest time since release.

DBT85

Did MS announce any numbers for Titanfall or the XOne Titanfall Bundle ?

Not a peep. A spokeperson at GDC didn't want to give out any numbers for anything either and apparently they are waiting for the end of quarter report to announce anything.

I'm genuinely shocked they haven't screamed about how much Titanfall has sold. With the way Microsoft usually is, you have to assume that it hasn't sold well. Because they crow more than anyone if they have a good number to report.

Abdiel

I'm calling it right now: 330K PS4, 515K XBO this month (NPD).

This number strikes me as overwhelmingly optimistic... It's just not selling anywhere near fast enough to clear those numbers. It's selling at best matching the speed of last month, and it's not accelerating. We still have more than half of our titan fall bundles in the NE best buy district. Not a single store has sold out of them. And the original models aren't moving either. I don't know what the ps4 is selling, because apparently stores get shipments in of 35-50 and they're sold out before I have a chance to verify (within a day) and I find out afterwards. But they're finally getting serious stock in.

orochi91

Not a peep. A spokeperson at GDC didn't want to give out any numbers for anything either and apparently they are waiting for the end of quarter report to announce anything.

I'm genuinely shocked they haven't screamed about how much Titanfall has sold. With the way Microsoft usually is, you have to assume that it hasn't sold well. Because they crow more than anyone if they have a good number to report.

I imagine they are going to bombard the media with a huge PR dump when the March NDP are revealed. Here's how I feel the future months will play out:

Xbox One wins march NDP, coupled with Titanfall outselling Infamous with regards to next-gen console exclusives (it already scored better critically). Then they will announce something for April to keep the momentum going right until E3, where they drop megatons after megatons. Sales skyrocket in the following months leading upto the holiday season, after which they garner an overwhelming lead in both the US and UK over the PS4 for the remainder of the gen.

I'm feeling prophetic.

fedexpeon

Banned

Yeah, if you don't brag about sales figure for TF, the greatest game of this generation*according to EA/MS PR, then it must be pretty average.
I remember COD always bragged about their sales after 1-2 days...but not lately since sales dropped off a cliff in comparison to past sales.
I am going to guess COD>BF>KZ>TF in sales....can't really do a good PR piece if that is the case.

TomShoe

Banned
I imagine they are going to bombard the media with a huge PR dump when the March NDP are revealed. Here's how I feel the future months will play out:

Xbox One wins march NDP, coupled with Titanfall outselling Infamous with regards to next-gen console exclusives (it already scored better critically). Then they will announce something for April to keep the momentum going right until E3, where they drop megatons after megatons. Sales skyrocket in the following months leading upto the holiday season, after which they garner an overwhelming lead in both the US and UK over the PS4 for the remainder of the gen.

I'm feeling prophetic.

I was agreeing with you up until the April part. I have no doubt Microsoft is going to trumpet the March NPD and Titanfall sales, since it's a probable victory. However, the rest of your post doesn't feel right at all. For one, what big name exclusive do they have coming out in April other than Kinect Sports Rivals? I think they're relying on Titanfall & Watch Dogs to get them through the slow spring months up until E3. For E3, they have a lot of exclusives to talk about (SO, QB, H2A, etc.), but the real thing people will be expecting them to do is to drop the price and/or Kinect. If they don't do one of those things, I have a feeling it will cast a damper on the entire presentation, since one of the barriers to people buying XBOs is the whole "higher price, worse hardware" stigma.

While Microsoft definitely has some big things up their sleeves, It's time to come to grips and accept that NA and UK aren't on lock-down anymore. Even though the Xbox One may catch up to the PS4 in terms of feature-set, goodwill takes a long time to earn back. I think Sony knows that better than anyone.

Freeman

Banned

I'm feeling prophetic.

MS should hire you to cheer them up. Overwhelming lead... the hype wasn't real. Titanfall has arrived and its business as usual, not saying its a bad game or anything, it just won't change the fate of the XOne (I don't think no single game could do it, the value proposition is just off, XOne should cost less than the PS4 for it to stand a chance).

orochi91

I was agreeing with you up until the April part. I have no doubt Microsoft is going to trumpet the March NPD and Titanfall sales, since it's a probable victory. However, the rest of your post doesn't feel right at all. For one, what big name exclusive do they have coming out in April other than Kinect Sports Rivals? I think they're relying on Titanfall & Watch Dogs to get them through the slow spring months up until E3. For E3, they have a lot of exclusives to talk about (SO, QB, H2A, etc.), but the real thing people will be expecting them to do is to drop the price and/or Kinect. If they don't do one of those things, I have a feeling it will cast a damper on the entire presentation, since one of the barriers to people buying XBOs is the whole "higher price, worse hardware" stigma.

While Microsoft definitely has some big things up their sleeves, It's time to come to grips and accept that NA and UK aren't on lock-down anymore. Even though the Xbox One may catch up to the PS4 in terms of feature-set, goodwill takes a long time to earn back. I think Sony knows that better than anyone.

Yea, I honestly couldn't think of anything to put into April. But I'm feeling confident about the rest of the predictions. I don't expect last gen style domination in the US (or UK) by the Xbox, but I do expect them to comfortably lead the PS4 by the end of 2015. US and UK are fickle, a price drop here and there, coupled with some exciting announcement geared for those markets and watch MS regain that market share (some of it). This is taking into account for the short attention span/memory people have with regards to the DRM shit Microsoft tried to implement.

The Llama

Assuming the ntkrnl leak was legit (personally I'm convinced it was a controller leak, but thats not really worth debating here), I wonder at what point MS decides to go with the Xbox One without the disc drive. Is it merely if the PS4 outsells the Xbox One at all in March? Is it if the PS4 sells >100k more than the Xbox One? I think as soon as MS has the March NPD's, we'll be able to see their strategy evolve. Could mean good things for consumers.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm calling it right now: 330K PS4, 515K XBO this month (NPD).

What!? lol Sorry, but I'm not expecting anything near this kind of disparity. If Xbone pulls off the win, it'll be close like last month going off of possible shipment increases.

Top Bottom