• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
CBR said:
Newsarama asked if "Spider-Verse" will include the return of "Superior Spider-Man." "That's a very good question," Slott said. "We can't comment on that," Lowe said, given that "Superior Spider-Man" hasn't yet ended.

COME ON MAN.

Slott shared one new character he was told "no" on: A talking Spider-Mobile, who would secretly be "Peter Parked Car."

oh come on

Wacker would have allowed this

ElNarez

Banned
I will recant every single bad thing I have ever said about Dan Slott if this crossover includes the Tokusatsu Spider-Man, complete with his tranforming robot Leopardon. This is a real promise I am making right now so please remember it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Next question, from Nerdist: Will the animated "Spectacular Spider-Man play a part? "'Spectacular' is partly owned by Sony," Slott replied. "But you will see the Spider-Man of the 'Ultimate Spider-Man' animated universe."

Twist the knife some more.

Toa TAK

Banned
ComicsBeat asked if Spider-Kitty from "Spider-Island" will be in the story. Slott said it hadn't occurred to him before, but he'll make it happen now.
Yeah boi.

Slott said "you only get to do this story once," and that's why he realized it had to be a Peter Parker story, not a "Superior Spider-Man" story. "It was pretty much the consensus," Slott said, speaking of feedback he got at Marvel retreat to wait on the story until Peter Parker was back. Slott said that "Spider-Verse" with Doctor Octopus as the lead would be like Moriarity leading a bunch of Sherlocks. "With Peter, it's a completely different feeling."

Ock should be the new face of Spider-Man.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously.

I could tolerate his presence if he gets oneshotted by Morlun in the first chapter while he's in the middle of a cutaway wisecrack.

Slott said that "Spider-Verse" with Doctor Octopus as the lead would be like Moriarity leading a bunch of Sherlocks. "With Peter, it's a completely different feeling."

That actually sounds interesting.

Finally

The return of 90s silver armor Spidey

Fuck this thing. I remember the issue with that super awesome cover released when I was on vacation in Greece, I got my parents to buy it from an international newsstand. I figured I'd probably retire and live a life of leisure just by selling it 20 years later.
Needless to say, I'm not retired.

I think I would be concerned if someone said they favored Lobdell over Claremont. In the end, I think the 90s era X-Men comics just tried too hard to be important. If something like the Dark Phoenix Saga would have been made then (and hell now for that matter), it'd be a 18 part summer event that crossed over into all the X books had three tie in series. Days of Future Past would have gone from a neat little two issue story to a Flashpoint style and sized event. The old Claremont books became important because they were good, not because it was mandated by the publisher that they were important and nothing would ever be the same!!!
This rings very true. I'd argue most great super hero stories are not crossovers but arcs or entire runs. And sometimes minis.
Hell, the greatest epic stuff I've read recently (*) pretty much ignored continuity and set its own, not a ground breaking, status quo change in universe wide continuity but just because that's the story they wanted to tell. And any epic grew organically from the story and characters, not from marketing and editorial push.

I remember when Marvel said in the early oughts they were done with crossovers, that sounded like the house of ideas finally getting ideas back and to the front.

(*) to name a few, that includes Morrison's Batman, Hickman's FF and Secret Warriors, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Remender's UXF, Cap and Uncanny Avengers. They all set their own continuity and did their thing without relying on the other books. Final Crisis is an exception to this rule IMO.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
9 issues in to Amazing and already veering into ultimate gimmick town. Somebody get Slott off Spidey please. He's been spinning up mud now for years.

Does anyone have a link to that fan edit of UXM with Cyke"s broken powers that ends in him yelling JEEEAAAAAAAAAN! Its been posted here a few times.

TbtfE1e.jpg

The only redeeming factor of this UXM run so far! Has anything even happened in that book since it began? Only Magneto leaving and suddenly becoming a sociopath again I guess!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I only liked the very opening Stegman issues and the 2099 issues, also Stegman. Oh, I guess I only really liked it when it was Stegman art and not crappy one-note shock tactic brain-dead character stuff without the pretties to focus on instead. Yost wrote the superior Superior Spider-Man.

Slott completely lost me at Ends of the Earth. I think he just ran out of ideas that weren't "lol, troll-tastic!!!!" but I guess thats what sells comic-books so hurrah, maybe Sabertooth is gonna be in Wolverine's body for two years yawn.

ElNarez

Banned
I only liked the very opening Stegman issues and the 2099 issues, also Stegman. Oh, I guess I only really liked it when it was Stegman art and not crappy one-note shock tactic brain-dead character stuff without the pretties to focus on instead. Yost wrote the superior Superior Spider-Man.

Everyone writes a better Spider-Man than Slott. Whether that's Parker or Ock.

Drayco21

That Spider-Verse painting has Kaine and Anya in it, so I'm on-board. I've been saying we need a Spidey team book once Peter came back, hopefully this springboards into based Peter, Miguel, Anya, Kaine, Flash and Mania hanging out and doin' spider stuff.

Toa TAK

Banned

You're making me miss Stegman, man. =(

Dude set the tone so well when he was on board in the beginning.
Will ultimate Miles and ultimate Spider Woman be in this?

Yes.

Wiseblade

I can only hope. But who would you want writing ASM in his place? Aaron?

Seriously, I'm still struggling to understand how anyone can enjoy reading SpOck.

I love Spock because he's so unlikable. At first you think, "Oh, he's gonna learn to be a hero over time of this series"

and then its like "sic no he's just an egotistical unlikable dickhead and he's fucking up Peter's rep left and right"

noquarter

Alright, traveling cross country and been stopping at various comic stores and gotten some nice silver age ASM's, also found some current stuff I was looking for. Got Harley Quinn 1-4 to read and Manifest Destiny 1-4 to read at one of the next stops.

Today though was pretty cool. Went to Comic Warehouse in Albequrque (sp?) NM and right across the street is Octopus Car Wash. Turns out that is A-1 car wash from Breaking Bad. Didn't spend much time in the city, but was cool to see that and made the wife accept the stop more.

frye

Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll get on that stuff. When I started looking at arcs and saw the Gauntlet was 30 issues long, it kind of worried me TBH.

The Gauntlet is probably the strongest sustained period of BND and it was hella fun reading that when it was coming out.

Wiseblade

I love Spock because he's so unlikable. At first you think, "Oh, he's gonna learn to be a hero over time of this series"

and then its like "sic no he's just an egotistical unlikable dickhead and he's fucking up Peter's rep left and right"
But that only works when there's the promise of an eventual punishment. What's the point in ruining Peter's lifeif he wont come back to pick up the pieces?

vocab

Another instocktrade order with some damage. Crushed corners that crease the pages yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superior is an experiment that I'm glad is over. It's my invasion of the body snatchers issue come to life, but that people like for some reason.

Pie and Beans

I guess it has enough wry "Well why WOULDN'T you kill the mass-murderer yourself/establish better protocols at fighting crime" poking of fun at the medium to feel 'fresh', but stretched thin over multiple years and terrible dialogue. All eyes on how conveniently brain-dead Slott makes every single character to make the return to status quo incredibly awkward.

I'd love Aaron to be given Spidey after giving him a chance for prep-work. The recent Thor arc is well back to the God Butcher levels of awesome, and I often feel like the not-so-good Malekith arc was sort of sprung on him by editorial for obvious reasons.

Or y'know. Give it to Cornell. See just how low he can sink!

I think Superior Foes, WatXM, Amazing X-Men, and Thor are about the only Marvel books I feel legit hype for any-more. Avengers Undercover could win me over, but in kind I'm close to dropping Captain America. It has not been very good after Cap returned from the Gut-Bleeding-For-Months-Is-Healable Dimension. Oh and New Avengers is going to have to just... get the fuck on with it soon. I already dropped the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom