• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
How are the hellboy library collections?

Thinking about switching to those from the trades... but the DH trades are very nice so im wondering if its worth it.

They're pretty much the best it gets from everything I've read/heard. Absolute-sized Mignola art, top-notch sewn binding, etc.
I've been meaning to pick up the first one, but I'm already going to be getting the two Fear Agent Library Editions (when IST puts the second one up for sale tonight) and I think I may get Colossal Conan as well (using the 45% off Dark Horse books in March as an excuse), so I don't really wanna spend any more than that. Haha

Speaking of giant hardcover Dark Horse books, did anyone read Breath of Bones? I stopped by Barnes and Noble yesterday and they had a copy, so I quickly flipped through it and it seemed like a really nice book. Is the story good?

Oh, and on a totally separate note, I just finished reading through the extras in the first Elephantmen hardcover. Some of the best extras I've seen. Richard Starkings basically gives a history lesson on sci-fi comics of the 60s and 70s and the best artists from that era. It was a really intriguing read.

arkon

How are the hellboy library collections?

Thinking about switching to those from the trades... but the DH trades are very nice so im wondering if its worth it.

They are fantastic. Just the right size and really well put together. Not as difficult to read as some of those mahoosive omniboos from the likes of DC and Marvel.

April's looking like another month where I'm having trouble deciding what Marvel books to put into the OT. Some books are locked in, but there's still a lot of exciting stuff happening and only six coveted slots.

At least DC made it easy on me, by pushing back a ton of stuff into May. Of course, that just means May will be a new headache.

Messi

April's looking like another month where I'm having trouble deciding what Marvel books to put into the OT. Some books are locked in, but there's still a lot of exciting stuff happening and only six coveted slots.

At least DC made it easy on me, by pushing back a ton of stuff into May. Of course, that just means May will be a new headache.

Did Batman and Wonder Woman make it?

Marvel have been killing it recently. Most of the new books have been quality.DC need to step up. Give Nocenti another book or two bendis style.

Sent my votes in to Spike.

Looking at this weeks releases, only Deadly Class could make it but I can't imagine a 3rd issue carrying the weight that the 3 I voted for.

The hardest cut was Superman Wonder Woman. Damn that was hard.

Looking at this weeks releases, only Deadly Class could make it but I can't imagine a 3rd issue carrying the weight that the 3 I voted for.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. Whhhhhhhyyyyyyy.

What besides Forever Evil and Nightwing got pushed back? If you need DC suggestions I'd be happy to give them.

Messi

This is an outrage.

Maybe Superman Wonder Woman is not top 3 material? Maybe if it was bats and Wonder Woman.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. Whhhhhhhyyyyyyy.

What besides Forever Evil and Nightwing got pushed back? If you need DC suggestions I'd be happy to give them.

I have some suggestions for my favorite company... DC

tim1138

Forever Evil, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, JL, and JLA. Hilariously enough, JL United issues #0 and #1 are set to release before JLA ends.
It's kind of amazing how badly FE has been handled and botched.

phoenixyz

Oh, the specific app doesn't matter - I just want to see a comic on the Nexus 7 screen so I can judge whether the size is adequate.

Do you own any comics in CBR/CBZ format (like from the Image website or previews)? You could unpack them and just watch them in the gallery app if they allowed that.

Forever Evil finale, Nightwing finale, Justice League of America finale, Suicide Squad revamp, and Justice League with Luthor have officially dropped into May.

And I have DC's OT material locked in already; even without those books, April still has some clear, noteworthy titles of interest to include. Like I said, all those delays made my job easier.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the above books, that's a pretty good indicator of what the May OT is going to look like too.

Forever Evil, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, JL, and JLA. Hilariously enough, JL United issues #0 and #1 are set to release before JLA ends.
It's kind of amazing how badly FE has been handled and botched.
The weirdness of JL United launching before JLA concludes is why I decided not to include #0 in the April OT. Either that issue has no bearing whatsoever on FE/JLA and therefore DC has no concerns about releasing it before FE ends, or they're still trying to decide whether or not to delay it as well and double up in May.

Did Batman and Wonder Woman make it?
Twenty-odd pages of Bruce channeling his inner Mel Gibson, while Diana checks the taximeter and wonders what "Kal" is doing for lunch? Riveting stuff.

Messi please.

Wiseblade

Haha, I know. Back when I was reading comics regularly I tended to stick to things like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Ex Machina, Fables, Preacher etc, mostly Vertigo-like titles where you had the sense it was telling one long story. I felt intimidated by how deep into capes stuff I'd have to go to start reading those, and the depth of the mythology, which is why I only really started reading those with the New 52/Marvel Now relaunches as a jumping-on point. I wouldn't really know where to start if I wanted to read those stories that came before. I do think I'm going to grab the earlier Ultimate Spider-Man run at some point though. As for other comics from back in the day, I have no idea what I should pick up. What am I missing out on most?
I was in a similar situation years ago, which is why Ultimate Marvel appealed to me so much. The says when I was in the library with friends, reading Ultimate Spidey, X-Men and Ultimates after school were wonderful.

ElNarez

Banned
I feel like, at this point, my top 3 might be a lock, but there's a couple of books that could change that coming out tomorrow, so I'm holding back.

HOWEVER, I feel like picking six Marvel books for the April OT is easy. It goes : Deadpool, Doop, Elektra, Inhuman, Iron Fist, Original Sin because you gotta get the big dumb event in there, and that's it, there's six big good comic books from Marvel. There's no big omission of anything worthwhile there, and especially not any that would involve Spider-Man.

tim1138

So I'm a little over 100 pages into the Age of Apocalypse omnibus. So far, it's good but not great, definitely has that 90s X-Men feel to it, that's for sure. A question for any other old timers, in the pre internet as we know it age of 1995 how did Marvel spoil the end of the Legion Quest arc and impending AoA stuff? Cover story in Wizard six months out? It would have been pretty cool to finish the Legion stuff with the universe being crystallized and have no idea what was coming.

i don't think iv like anything of gillens.

in other news, this weeks deadpool has time traveling Hitler

DPOOL2012026-int-LR2-4-19062.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=20848

Marvel Unlimited(on the ipad) has been completely screwing me over for the last week:

-It won't let me add new comics to read offline because it's "full" even though there is absolutely nothing in there.

-I can't read more than three pages of anything because I'm apparently not a member even though I'm paying and listed as a member under my account information.

-Whenever I update or uninstall/reinstall the app my entire library is wiped clean.

I'm really pissed because I'm going to have to unsubscribe which means there are literally hundreds of comics I will never get to read unless I plan on bankrupting myself.

Marvel Unlimited(on the ipad) has been completely screwing me over for the last week:

-It won't let me add new comics to read offline because it's "full" even though there is absolutely nothing in there.

-I can't read more than three pages of anything because I'm apparently not a member even though I'm paying and listed as a member under my account information.

-Whenever I update or uninstall/reinstall the app my entire library is wiped clean.

I'm really pissed because I'm going to have to unsubscribe which means there are literally hundreds of comics I will never get to read unless I plan on bankrupting myself.

Welcome to Marvel Unlimited!

"Unlimited promise, limited fulfillment" should be their motto.

Messi

Nocenti isn't confirmed for writing it, so we weren't sure what to do

You should know that regardless of how much I love Nocenti and her soon to be Eisner winning books I will never like her as much as Harley or Conners/Palmiotti.

Edit: Also I have NEVER voted for Catwoman.

Woo, fun times, my work (I am in retail when not a student) got robbed last night. Where was Batman when I needed him? Too busy searching for Damian's body probably. Thanks alot Batman.

You mean where was the Legion of Super Heroes right?
Besides Cancelled.

I joke. Hopefully everything is all right.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How come no one here told me they announced a Harley Quinn One Shot for July where Harley invades Comic Con.

Someone did.

Palmiotti and his other writing partner, Amanda Conner, will also release an annual-style one-shot for their ongoing Harley Quinn series called Harley Quinn Invades San Diego Comic-Con, also in July. No details were released, but we assume it involves Harley Quinn going to San Diego Comic-Con, officially known as Comic-Con International: San Diego. No artist was announced for the one-shot.
Source

Between this and Arrow, it's been a good day for you Messi.

Onemic

Depending on the specific issues you got, that's a whole lot of Chris Claremont goodness. That's pretty much the best era of X-Men.

Already got issues 94 - 110 previously, but they pretty much include

Dark Phoenix Saga
Days of Future Past
Brood Saga
From the Ashes(return of phoenix)
Inferno(another Phoenix story arc)
Savage land
Genosha
Wolverine story arc(vol. 1 with Frank Miller plus the wedding in uncanny)

And one off's like Lifedeath I/II, intro to Lady Deathstrike, etc.

tim1138

Already got issues 94 - 110 previously, but they pretty much include

Dark Phoenix Saga
Days of Future Past
Brood Saga
From the Ashes(return of phoenix)
Inferno(another Phoenix story arc)
Savage land
Genosha
Wolverine story arc(vol. 1 with Frank Miller plus the wedding in uncanny)

And one off's like Lifedeath I/II, intro to Lady Deathstrike, etc.

Congrats on the haul then, that's pretty much the cream of the crop for classic X-Men stories.

Wolverine wedding in Japan is the best

I like the second Brood saga more, "Broodfall", 232-234. Leaner and meaner, some great Silvestri/Green artwork, and nobody whining about the morality of killing evil aliens or talking about giant space whales. And some killer covers

232-19.jpg

234-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom