• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why? SpOck sucks, except as a slightly more original way to screw with Peter Parker.

He's entertaining, plus, I enjoy his confrontations with the rest of Peter's rogue's gallery as you get a peek of what Otto really thinks of them and how brutal he dispatches them. It's part of why I'm lovin' Goblin Nation so much.

But that's just me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Why? SpOck sucks, except as a slightly more original way to screw with Peter Parker.

There are still corners of Spidey's life he hasn't interacted with and I would like to see him getting humbled in more subtle ways then everything crashing down on him at once now. Moriarty posing among a bunch of Peters would have been fun. They all diverge somewhat from the base Parker, but it still would have been a challenge for Otto to blend in, try and maintain "Superiority" and learn from the other spiders about how to actually do the gig. Plus I'm going to be pissed if the Peter comes back twist is that he has amnesia as along with the marriage erasure it's yet another way to regress the character rather than progressing like Big Time did with the Horizon stuff.

Wiseblade

I guess it has enough wry "Well why WOULDN'T you kill the mass-murderer yourself/establish better protocols at fighting crime" poking of fun at the medium to feel 'fresh', but stretched thin over multiple years and terrible dialogue. All eyes on how conveniently brain-dead Slott makes every single character to make the return to status quo incredibly awkward.

I'd love Aaron to be given Spidey after giving him a chance for prep-work. The recent Thor arc is well back to the God Butcher levels of awesome, and I often feel like the not-so-good Malekith arc was sort of sprung on him by editorial for obvious reasons.

Or y'know. Give it to Cornell. See just how low he can sink!

I think Superior Foes, WatXM, Amazing X-Men, and Thor are about the only Marvel books I feel legit hype for any-more. Avengers Undercover could win me over, but in kind I'm close to dropping Captain America. It has not been very good after Cap returned from the Gut-Bleeding-For-Months-Is-Healable Dimension. Oh and New Avengers is going to have to just... get the fuck on with it soon. I already dropped the others.
But he's not even good at crime fighting! The goblins have been running rings around him since day one and all of his successes have either been swiftly negated or achieved in spite of himself.

He's entertaining, plus, I enjoy his confrontations with the rest of Peter's rogue's gallery as you get a peek of what Otto really thinks of them and how brutal he dispatches them. It's part of why I'm lovin' Goblin Nation so much.

But that's just me.
But he's not really interacting with Parker's rogues and allies. It's super dumbed down versions of them he's running into. Especially given the amount of times people have impersonated Spider-Man.

Wiseblade

There are still corners of Spidey's life he hasn't interacted with and I would like to see him getting humbled in more subtle ways then everything crashing down on him at once now. Moriarty posing among a bunch of Peters would have been fun. They all diverge somewhat from the base Parker, but it still would have been a challenge for Otto to blend in, try and maintain "Superiority" and learn from the other spiders about how to actually do the gig. Plus I'm going to be pissed if the Peter comes back twist is that he has amnesia as along with the marriage erasure it's yet another way to regress the character rather than progressing like Big Time did with the Horizon stuff.
This whole thing has most definitely been an exercise to regress the character. Wipes Peter's memories, turn New York against Spider-Man, lose the trust of friends and allies... It screams that Slott was planning to create a whole new supporting cast.

Owzers

Secret Avengers #1 was ammmmmmmmmmmmazing, i'm glad i asked dcbs to add it to my order instead of waiting for whenever it gets on MU and i subscribe again. It was a fast moving, funny, well choreographed book...but no Kot, i will not get over how lame new Fury is Xp. Definitely check this one out guys. Arbitrary 9/10 minus 1 fury point.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thing has most definitely been an exercise to regress the character. Wipes Peter's memories, turn New York against Spider-Man, lose the trust of friends and allies... It screams that Slott was planning to create a whole new supporting cast.

Having to mend personal relationships and the potentially humorous fallout from that is much preferable to having the character portrayed as an unemployable neurotic who apparently forgot all the basics of the heroics he'd been performing for years.

Secret Avengers #1 was ammmmmmmmmmmmazing, i'm glad i asked dcbs to add it to my order instead of waiting for whenever it gets on MU and i subscribe again. It was a fast moving, funny, well choreographed book...but no Kot, i will not get over how lame new Fury is Xp. Definitely check this one out guys. Arbitrary 9/10 minus 1 fury point.

I really liked Secret Avengenrs too.

Dat massage scene!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Aaron on Spidey would be so great. Did anyone else read the Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine miniseries? Ironically, I didn't feel like Wolverine was written too interestingly, but I thought Aaron's Spider-Man was excellent.
It was also a great story overall.

bunch of Green Arrow comics are on sale. like, a lot. I highly recommend #7-16 of the New 52 run. top level comics before some hacks came on and ruined the book

WAIT AND also there's some Suicide Squad issues on sale. i guess it's an Arrow thing. Buy all the Suicide Squads, i legit recommend those. but damn, there are so many comics on sale. i don't even know what the New Teen Titans and Young connection is, probably a 'Stroke thing.

Are there any hidden gems in there aside from the obvious picks (like LH, Suicide Squad, YJ, etc)?

Zen

Banned

Something tells me this will be like that Jett Lee film The ONE with Morlun knocking off Spider-Men.

I also really hope that MC2 Spider-Girl gets some decent face time and they have some plans for her.

It is kind of weird that we are getting every Spider-Man ever, at each distinctive point in that Spider-Mans career.

For instance, we get Ben Reilly twice (Scarlet Spider and as Spider-Man?).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Something tells me this will be like that Jett Lee film The ONE with Morlun knocking off Spider-Men.

I also really hope that MC2 Spider-Girl gets some decent face time and they have some plans for her.

It is kind of weird that we are getting every Spider-Man ever, at each distinctive point in that Spider-Mans career.

Time travel and interdimensional shit's a bitch. Just ask the Illuminati.

MisterHero

Spider-Verse can't possibly deliver. Which live-action Spider-Man will win? Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?
Toei Spider-Man?

Cartoon Spider-Mans without the voice acting. Bah.

edit: Spider-Man of the "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon? lol the worst of the bunch

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

or something like countdown arena. seeing as how quite a few of them have been donned by pete

hamchan

Don't know how many other people use Marvel Unlimited here but these new enhanced comics with the fancy audio is pretty cool.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As someone who only started reading superhero comics fairly recently (just after Marvel NOW started) I've actually never read a Spider-Man comic where he was Peter Parker. I know enough about how he should be to understand the contrast with Ock though. I read the Ultimate Comics, but I started with Miles so still haven't read the older ones. Having said that, I'm interested in seeing this event come up, and it'll be good to see Peter come back. I can understand people enjoying SpOck though, I am.

Now as someone who didn't read a lot of comics outside of Vertigo titles until recently I've built a hell of a list:

Books of the week:
Hawkeye #18
Superior Spider-Man #30
The Sandman: Overture #2

Looking forward to:
Amazing X-Men #5
Bunker #2
Dead Body Road #4
Deadly Class #3
Deadpool #26
Fables #139
Fatale #21
Guardians of the Galaxy #13
Indestructible Hulk #20
The Manhattan Projects #19
Savage Wolverine #16
Serenity Leaves On the Wind #3
Sex #12
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #11

Checking out:
Captain America Homecoming #1
Iron Patriot #1
Silver Surfer #1

God bless buying digital. Love having all my comics on a tablet, saves so much shelf space. Plus it's easy to catch up on series I've missed. Does leave me broke though, haha. The end of the console generation has lead to me transferring my spending habits from games to comics. I like the odd free comics that comixology give out too, I picked up a bunch of #1s in the last one that I hadn't had a chance to read before.

Unai

bunch of Green Arrow comics are on sale. like, a lot. I highly recommend #7-16 of the New 52 run. top level comics before some hacks came on and ruined the book

WAIT AND also there's some Suicide Squad issues on sale. i guess it's an Arrow thing. Buy all the Suicide Squads, i legit recommend those. but damn, there are so many comics on sale. i don't even know what the New Teen Titans and Young connection is, probably a 'Stroke thing.

Are there any hidden gems in there aside from the obvious picks (like LH, Suicide Squad, YJ, etc)?

Where?

phoenixyz

List!

Batman: The Dark Knight #29
Sandman: Overture #2
Deadly Class #3

and maybe
Alex + Ada #5 (I'm not sold on the art at all, but the premise is really interesting)

Messi

I want everyone to know I had nothing to do with this Nocenti madness.

RE: Valiant, of the deluxe HCs that are released, go with Harbinger. X-O Manowar is great, it's like the kind of comic book movie Hollywood wishes it could make and Aric is a total badass but still endearing. Plus, he's got a sword that is MADE OF LIGHTNING. That's awesome.

I think Harbinger has a more interesting premise and cast though. Toyo Harada is a fantastic character, the bad guy businessman Lex Luthor wishes he could be.

Sadist

Aaron on Spidey would be so great. Did anyone else read the Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine miniseries? Ironically, I didn't feel like Wolverine was written too interestingly, but I thought Aaron's Spider-Man was excellent.
It was also a great story overall.
Oh the one where those two are traveling through time? It was actually a pretty hilarious book. Sure, there is always the clashing personalities between them, but they had some great dialogue.

Oh sweet, Amazing X-Men and Uncanny Avengers are out this week. Superior Spider-Man will be neat as well.

I apologise if this has been discussed a thousand times, but...

I'm in the market for a tablet, and reading comics on the train is the #1 reason I want one. I'm thinking of going iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina, but here are the pros/cons as I see them.

iPad Air
Pros: Nice, large screen for easy readability.
Cons: Despite being lighter than previous models, might be a but heavy and awkward to iuse with one hand will standing up on the train for prolonged periods (30-40 minutes).

iPad Mini Retina
Pros: Small form factor, easy to hold with one hand. Amazing pixel density for the size.
Cons: I prefer to read comics unzoomed, one page at a time, which might make it hard to read the text on the small screen.

I also considered the latest Nexus 7, but I figured that would definitely be too small (despite the tempting low price).

I'm going to go to the Apple Store to try both, but I would love to hear opinions from people who either use the Air during a long commute, or read full-page-style on a Mini Retina.

Thanks ComicsGAF!

Mindwipe

I apologise if this has been discussed a thousand times, but...

I'm in the market for a tablet, and reading comics on the train is the #1 reason I want one. I'm thinking of going iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina, but here are the pros/cons as I see them.

iPad Air
Pros: Nice, large screen for easy readability.
Cons: Despite being lighter than previous models, might be a but heavy and awkward to iuse with one hand will standing up on the train for prolonged periods (30-40 minutes).

iPad Mini Retina
Pros: Small form factor, easy to hold with one hand. Amazing pixel density for the size.
Cons: I prefer to read comics unzoomed, one page at a time, which might make it hard to read the text on the small screen.

I also considered the latest Nexus 7, but I figured that would definitely be too small (despite the tempting low price).

I'm going to go to the Apple Store to try both, but I would love to hear opinions from people who either use the Air during a long commute, or read full-page-style on a Mini Retina.

Thanks ComicsGAF!

For what it's worth, I find absolutely no difference whatsoever in readability between a Nexus 7 2013 and an iPad Mini, and I read most of my comics on the Nexus.

But I can understand people who prefer an Air, because the size feels more like a traditional comic to read.

kmfdmpig

Interesting. Do you read a full page on the screen at once, or do you zoom in and scroll/pan?
With high resolution you can do one page without panning or zooming. I do that on a nook hd+ and it works well. The nexus 7 and ipad mini are a bit smaller but should work well.

Wiseblade

I've actually never read a Spider-Man comic where he was Peter Parker. I know enough about how he should be to understand the contrast with Ock though. I read the Ultimate Comics, but I started with Miles so still haven't read the older ones.
You poor soul.

Mindwipe

Interesting. Do you read a full page on the screen at once, or do you zoom in and scroll/pan?

Fullscreen.

It's perfectly readable, but given absolute choice I'd prefer to read on a 10 inch - i.e. an iPad Air. But the Air is far more expensive and far less portable than a Nexus or a Mini, and I do most of my reading on the go so portability is a big concern too.

But I think you're doing the right thing - go and have a play with them both. If you prefer the Air it's probably right for you. If you think the Mini is fine for your needs I'd recommend you try and have a go with a Nexus too, because I think you'd find that it works just as well.

Isak_Borg

A lot of people are jumping the gun on this speculation but whatever...

Fullscreen.

It's perfectly readable, but given absolute choice I'd prefer to read on a 10 inch - i.e. an iPad Air. But the Air is far more expensive and far less portable than a Nexus or a Mini, and I do most of my reading on the go so portability is a big concern too.

But I think you're doing the right thing - go and have a play with them both. If you prefer the Air it's probably right for you. If you think the Mini is fine for your needs I'd recommend you try and have a go with a Nexus too, because I think you'd find that it works just as well.
Yeah, in an ideal world, I'd grab an Air and I would have no problem using it with one hand while standing on a moving train, but I don't think that's going to happen. One of the smaller ones will be probably best.

I'd like to try the Nexus 7, but the hard thing is actually getting to read a comic on one. The store I went to today wouldn't let me install Comixology or something on it to try it out. I think you can install whatever apps you want on the demo devices at the Apple Store.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You poor soul.

Haha, I know. Back when I was reading comics regularly I tended to stick to things like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Ex Machina, Fables, Preacher etc, mostly Vertigo-like titles where you had the sense it was telling one long story. I felt intimidated by how deep into capes stuff I'd have to go to start reading those, and the depth of the mythology, which is why I only really started reading those with the New 52/Marvel Now relaunches as a jumping-on point. I wouldn't really know where to start if I wanted to read those stories that came before. I do think I'm going to grab the earlier Ultimate Spider-Man run at some point though. As for other comics from back in the day, I have no idea what I should pick up. What am I missing out on most?

Isak_Borg

Yeah, in an ideal world, I'd grab an Air and I would have no problem using it with one hand while standing on a moving train, but I don't think that's going to happen. One of the smaller ones will be probably best.

I'd like to try the Nexus 7, but the hard thing is actually getting to read a comic on one. The store I went to today wouldn't let me install Comixology or something on it to try it out. I think you can install whatever apps you want on the demo devices at the Apple Store.

It's a similar experience on both platforms.

Does anyone know if they have collected any of the X-man (nathan grey) comics? It seems they're not on marvel unlimited and there's like two small paperbacks involving him. Or does anyone know if he was regularly a part of any other series besides his own?

Woo, fun times, my work (I am in retail when not a student) got robbed last night. Where was Batman when I needed him? Too busy searching for Damian's body probably. Thanks alot Batman.

SoilBreak

Banned
As for other comics from back in the day, I have no idea what I should pick up. What am I missing out on most?

Death of Gwen Stacy
Kraven's Last Hunt
The Gauntlet
Origin of the Species

The first couple of trades of J. Michael Straczynski's run on amazing spider-man are worth reading IMO.

How are the hellboy library collections?

Thinking about switching to those from the trades... but the DH trades are very nice so im wondering if its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom