• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Wolverine wedding in Japan is the best

I like the second Brood saga more, "Broodfall", 232-234. Leaner and meaner, some great Silvestri/Green artwork, and nobody whining about the morality of killing evil aliens or talking about giant space whales. And some killer covers

232-19.jpg

234-1.jpg

The cover for #234 is one of my favorites.
I'd also add #199 and #251 to the list of killer UXM covers.

199-16.jpg

251-1.jpg

Onemic

I need an opinion. Essentially I'm trying to work my way up to the current xmen storyline, by starting from the beginning. I plan on getting the claremotn/lee omnibus next and the intro to cable and the x-force omnibus after.

Now I know people here don't like Liefield, but I need an honest opinion of the cable and x-force story arc. what should I be expecting when I eventually get to that point in the xmen story? Cable has always been one of my favourite xmen since I was growing up, so x-force and the intro of cable/buildup to x-force in New Mutants is something that's a guaranteed purchase for me no matter the quality. I just wanna know what to expect going in.

Wolverine wedding in Japan is the best

I like the second Brood saga more, "Broodfall", 232-234. Leaner and meaner, some great Silvestri/Green artwork, and nobody whining about the morality of killing evil aliens or talking about giant space whales. And some killer covers

232-19.jpg

234-1.jpg

I totally would, but it's not on comixology

tim1138

I need an opinion. Essentially I'm trying to work my way up to the current xmen storyline, by starting from the beginning. I plan on getting the claremotn/lee omnibus next and the intro to cable and the x-force omnibus after.

Now I know people here don't like Liefield, but I need an honest opinion of the cable and x-force story arc. what should I be expecting when I eventually get to that point in the xmen story? Cable has always been one of my favourite xmen since I was growing up, so x-force and the intro of cable/buildup to x-force in New Mutants is something that's a guaranteed purchase for me no matter the quality. I just wanna know what to expect going in.

As someone who is rereading a lot of the 90s X-Men stuff, I gotta be honest with you, most of it is just not very good. If you want to read it, go for it, but just keep your expectations tempered and on the low end of the spectrum.

Just ordered Batman and Robin #1 to get signed by PETER J. TOMASI (Writer) and PATRICK GLEASON (art & cover) at C2E2 ComicCon.

1031639.jpg

Spent too much damn money on Batman #21 black and white variant cover (1:100 zero year cover) and Batman and Robin #1. (1st printings). But can't wait to get them signed !

I also plan on getting my Detective Comics #27 (Chris Burnham cover) signed by some artists and writers that worked on it...

Artists- Patrick Gleason, Dustin Nguyen, Jason Fabok, Neal Adams and cover artist Chris Burnham.
Writers- Peter J. Tomasi, and Scott Snyder

Hopefully that works out

1710149.jpg

Mumei

Yup, that's it! That whole run is great, but it was "Unthinkable" that brought Doom back to the villainous greatness he maintains to this day,

I just read this tonight and really enjoyed it, though I am wondering what happens with Doom next.

I really loved the part where
Doom sacrifices Valeria for sorcerer powers
, because for some reason I didn't see it coming. I really should have because it's obvious in retrospect, but I didn't.

I also read the first two collections of Simonson's run on Thor. I quite liked it, though one thing I did find sort of odd is that I couldn't really tell how powerful Thor (or other characters) is really supposed to be. For instance, Thor himself is constantly worried about things like... sharp objects falling on him, or falling into magma, or having rocks fall on him, and so forth; things that I'd gotten the impression from reading about him that were things he wouldn't be hurt by. At the same time, they fight a pretty ridiculous opponent towards the end of that particular story arc, whose abilities and weapons are much more threatening than falling rocks. Maybe this is pre-power creep Thor, or maybe it's just one of those "Not showing consistent levels of power" things.

vocab

I read the first issue of rachel rising. I thought it was interesting. It has the same idea as revival (on the surface), but Rachel rising seems to be more stranger. I kind of want to read more. Revival is a little too slow for me.

zeeaykay

I know that Rat Queens get a lot of love here, but does anyone read Wiebe's other ongoing, Peter Panzerfaust? It seems a bit up my alley, and I'm THIS close to adding it to my instocktrades order to go along with Stray Bullets.

I've mostly read good things, but of course nothing compares to the refined tastes of ComicsGAF.

I know that Rat Queens get a lot of love here, but does anyone read Wiebe's other ongoing, Peter Panzerfaust? It seems a bit up my alley, and I'm THIS close to adding it to my instocktrades order to go along with Stray Bullets.

I've mostly read good things, but of course nothing compares to the refined tastes of ComicsGAF.

It's still going, so it must have a decent readership. Personally, I wasn't a big fan. I was with it for the first four or five issues, but It didn't really hit any chords with me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just ordered Batman and Robin #1 to get signed by PETER J. TOMASI (Writer) and PATRICK GLEASON (art & cover) at C2E2 ComicCon.

1031639.jpg

Spent too much damn money on Batman #21 black and white variant cover (1:100 zero year cover) and Batman and Robin #1. (1st printings). But can't wait to get them signed !

How much did that cost you? I have B&R #1, I would have given it to you for the postage.

How much did that cost you? I have B&R #1, I would have given it to you for the postage.

Dammnnn,,, $25 from MyComicShop.com. it was really an impulse buy, only looked around at a few places (online). Fuggin nice of ya tho man. That's around the average price I've come across online,, I'm not very good with patience :-/ lol

1031639.jpg

Spent too much damn money on Batman #21 black and white variant cover (1:100 zero year couver) and Batman and Robin #1. (1st printings). But can't wait to get them signed !

Such a great cover. While it sucks to have to drop that kind of scrap on the variants / older issues, the pure joy of getting them signed by creators you adore completely overshadows that. Similarly, I about soiled myself the first time I naively asked an artist for a commission. Ended up paying for it, because it was on my bucket list for my first ever con experience, and in the end I'm so glad I did it.

Such a great cover. While it sucks to have to drop that kind of scrap on the variants / older issues, the pure joy of getting them signed by creators you adore completely overshadows that. Similarly, I about soiled myself the first time I naively asked an artist for a commission. Ended up paying for it, because it was on my bucket list for my first ever con experience, and in the end I'm so glad I did it.

Haha,, I know I really want to get a commission,, don't know if I'm prepared to pay the money for it,, and honestly don't really have any idea of how much it'd cost me.

There's gonna be a lot of artist there I like, figured I'd shop around see what I could afford,,, Who* I can afford lol. Love Batman art,, there is a number of Batman artist there: Patrick Gleason, Jason Fabok, Dustin Nguyen, Neal Adams($$$). There's also the artist from Rat Queens Roc Upchurch, Tony Moore (walking dead #1-6), Nicola Scott(earth 2), Geof Darrow(Shaolin Cowboy)....
..... Decisions decisions....

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dammnnn,,, $25 from MyComicShop.com. it was really an impulse buy, only looked around at a few places (online). Fuggin nice of ya tho man. That's around the average price I've come across online,, I'm not very good with patience :-/ lol

Oh well if anyone else wants it hit me up :p I have a bunch of other #1s from nu52 as well before I got out of the paper game.

Messi

It's the final issue. They are canceling her series and removing her from mainline continuity.

Curse you DiDio!

Seems my debit card got skimmed. Only noticed when I got to the counter and my card was declined :((((. Could only afford 4 books out of my cash in pocket. Small victorys I suppose. Feels bad folks :(

tim1138

What a pleasant surprise, I totally forgot I had bought the entire run of Secret Six during a comixology sale a couple years ago! I'm overdue for a reread of the series as it is, no time like the present to start.

Seems my debit card got skimmed. Only noticed when I got to the counter and my card was declined :((((. Could only afford 4 books out of my cash in pocket. Small victorys I suppose. Feels bad folks :(

What four made the cut?!

And sorry to hear about that. It really is the worst.

tim1138

Curse you DiDio!

Oh man, that sucks Messi! Hopefully you can get it sorted out with your bank.

Messi

What four made the cut?!

And sorry to hear about that. It really is the worst.

Catwoman, Deadpool, Hawkeye, Empowered Special.

Oh man, that sucks Messi! Hopefully you can get it sorted out with your bank.

Yeah its pretty damn shit. Took about 700 too that was being saved for my trip to the USA :(. Bastards.

Edit: I see in previews Marvel are releasing an Omnibus of Oz in September. Right after I bought the first HC lol.

tim1138

Catwoman, Deadpool, Hawkeye, Empowered Special.

Yeah its pretty damn shit. Took about 700 too that was being saved for my trip to the USA :(. Bastards.

Edit: I see in previews Marvel are releasing an Omnibus of Oz in September. Right after I bought the first HC lol.

The Oz hc's are much easier to read than an omnibus will be.

Messi

The Oz hc's are much easier to read than an omnibus will be.

They had a new Spider-Man Omnibus in the store today. I had never picked one up so I gave it a go and fuck me you could kill someone with the weight of it. The Wolverine and the x-men one will be huge?

I've been having... thoughts, lately. Bad thoughts. Dark thoughts. I've found myself considering picking up Catwoman again. Just to know. Just to feel. Just to remember.

I think I may have beginning stage Messi-syndrome.

tim1138

They had a new Spider-Man Omnibus in the store today. I had never picked one up so I gave it a go and fuck me you could kill someone with the weight of it. The Wolverine and the x-men one will be huge?

Yeah, they are super huge. The Invisibles omnibus is about the biggest book I've ever seen, I dunno how one could even read it.
According to Amazon the Wolvie and the X-Men omni is 936 pages and weighs 6lbs, so yeah.

Messi

I've been having... thoughts, lately. Bad thoughts. Dark thoughts. I've found myself considering picking up Catwoman again. Just to know. Just to feel. Just to remember.

I think I may have beginning stage Messi-syndrome.

Embrace the darkness. If anything it will make you appreciate good books more.

I just noticed Catwoman is not written by Nocenti this month.

Indeed it's why I'm hyped.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yep, that's why they're dumb.

Much like bingewatching tv, I have the unpopular opinion that churning through that many issues that quickly devalues the artform as well. IMO comics are structured into issues and arcs and are best digested that way. Read an issue. Stop. Have a think about it. Or read a trade. Stop. Think about it.

Why's everyone gotta rush so much these days?

zeeaykay

Much like bingewatching tv, I have the unpopular opinion that churning through that many issues that quickly devalues the artform as well. IMO comics are structured into issues and arcs and are best digested that way. Read an issue. Stop. Have a think about it. Or read a trade. Stop. Think about it.

Just because someone has access to the full volume doesn't meant they'll rip through it. I had never read Planetary or Stray Bullets, for example, so being able to have it all in one volume and at a cheaper price is convenient for me. I've had Planetary for a few weeks but I'm only at chapter 7.

Messi

I read the first OHC of Superior Spider-Man yesterday and I love it. I just wish Marvel would release the HCs quicker so I could catch up for Amazing.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I don't think an omnibus has ever made me rush, or has ever forced me to dumbly and absentmindedly plow through a series. When omnibuses are done right, they contain the entire story/run they claim to in a giant, dope package littered with extras, that invites you to either take your time or plow through--but that's more the type of reader you are.

Let's say you pick up 10 floppies in a week, how many of us get home, plop down on the crapper and rip through 5 of those bad boys right-quick? The retention rate at that point is probably even worse than say, plowing through 5 issues of Planetary because it's super engaging and captivating, because you're juggling 5 different comics, 5 different continuities, 5 different worlds.

Also, if I tip my bookshelf over on an intruder or just some asshole who's shit-talking Frank Quitely, it'd totally crush them. That's another positive of omnibuses.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think an omnibus has ever made me rush, or has ever forced me to dumbly and absentmindedly plow through a series. When omnibuses are done right, they contain the entire story/run they claim to in a giant, dope package littered with extras, that invites you to either take your time or plow through--but that's more the type of reader you are.

Let's say you pick up 10 floppies in a week, how many of us get home, plop down on the crapper and rip through 5 of those bad boys right-quick? The retention rate at that point is probably even worse than say, plowing through 5 issues of Planetary because it's super engaging and captivating, because you're juggling 5 different comics, 5 different continuities, 5 different worlds.

Also, if I tip my bookshelf over on an intruder or just some asshole who's shit-talking Frank Quitely, it'd totally crush them. That's another positive of omnibuses.

Excellent point! tbh I usually only read 2 or 3 at a time but I also look at weeklies in the same vein as saturday morning cartoons in the way I consume them. A bit more disposable than Book Worthy comics.

But yeah, I getcha. I'm just weird about some things.

tim1138

I'm a mixed bag on omnibi. On one hand, my Animal Man omni is one of my favorite collections that I own, but at the same time it is very readable and is the only way to get those comics in a nice hardcover format. When you start looking at those 1200 and 1500 page long tomes though (like the Invisibles or the upcoming Doom Patrol or the Age of Apocalypse one I'm reading now), you lose that functionality. I can read the AoA omni either sitting at a table or laying on the floor, Lord knows I can't throw it in my bag and read it on the bus to and from work. Sure they look good on the shelf, but what good is it if you can't actually read the stupid thing?
Full disclosure, I am getting the JSA omnibus, which is like 1200 pages long and will probably weigh 10lbs. I really enjoyed that run and it will be nice to be able to pull it off the shelf and read random, favorite issues.

I also only look at omnibi for stuff I've read and love, I'd never blind buy one.

I've never read a damn thing on the toilet

I don't see how ya'll niggas do it. Are ya'll like taking a vacation or a picnic in there? Get in, get out, should take you a couple minutes.

Yeah, we're having this conversation in COMICSGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom