• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Cat Approved List

Catwoman #29
Flash #29
Worlds Finest #21

Deadly Class #3
Umbral #5

Avengers Assemble #25
Ghost Rider #1
Superior Spider Man #30

I thought that Vol 3 of the Brubaker Catwoman series was supposed to release this week too, but I can't find it anywhere to confirm :(

List of Vengeance
Wake #7
Dead Body Road #4
Deadly Class #3
Umbral #5
Amazing X-Men #5
Avengers #27
Guardians of the Galaxy #13
Hawkeye #18
Marvel Knights X-Men #5
New Avengers #16
Superior Spider-Man #30
Uncanny Avengers #18
All-New Ghost Rider #01 - Finally
Iron Patriot #01 - Going to give this series a trial run
Silver Surfer #01 - I've been looking forward to this one

Teptom

I went all this time thinking Black Science came out next Wednesday. I am now bummed.

Short List:

Deadly Class #3 - Issue 2 got me on board.
Silver Surfer #1 - Mike Allred means it's a automatic read for me.

Tizoc

418.jpg

Apparently I'm nearing the latest page/chapter of this cute little series.
...but man Cucumber can you PLEASE MAN UP ALREADY!

Messi

Cat Approved List

Catwoman #29
Flash #29
Worlds Finest #21

Deadly Class #3
Umbral #5

Avengers Assemble #25
Ghost Rider #1
Superior Spider Man #30

I thought that Vol 3 of the Brubaker Catwoman series was supposed to release this week too, but I can't find it anywhere to confirm :(

Why would you want Brubakers Catwoman run when you are getting the genre defining Ann Nocenti Catwoman?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I really, really, really want Silver Surfer to be good. Don't let us down, Slott.

Love Elephantmen. Art gets much better as you go. It's still something of an obscure title. My comic shop special orders it for me, as I don't think anyone else reads it. XD

Cool! I'll probably grab volume 2 in my next IST order.

Messi

LISSSSST

JAN140296.jpg

Dark Horse
Furious #3
Serenity #3
Empowered: Internal Medicine special

DC
Catwoman #29 actually kind excited to see this. Story seems coherent.

Dead Body Road #4
Deadly Class #3

Marvel
Amazing X-Men #5
Avengers #27
X-Factor #5
Deadpool #26
Iron Patriot #1
Superior Spider Man #30
Ghost Rider #1

22467.jpg

Xion385

I read on another thread that David Aja was drawing the next Ant-Man series. Is there any truth to this? If true, I need a source, writer, and which Ant-Man.

Dysun

Aquaman 29

Uncanny Avengers 18
Superior Spider-Man 30
Avengers 27
New Avengers 16
Guardians of the Galaxy 13
Amazing X-Men 5

Really good week on the Marvel side, especially Avengers and Superior

Dysun

After Hickman's 10 page decompression about psuedoscience, the Illuminati are looking into the past for a particular wavelength and sees the Black Swan interacting with 3 other particular events/universes. Killing someone on a ritual altar, executing Reed/Stark with Manifold, and going to her homeworld to retrieve a vial of something and escaping into unobservable space.
Avengers lock her up in her cell after a battle presumably, that's why its bloody. Her and Terrax have a vague chat about death and solace in being locked in the cube. Proxima Midnight and the other Cull Obsidian guy look like he's regenerating in the other cube.

How is Forever Evil being delayed to May going to affect the solicits. A lot of them take place after FE. Why is this not being talked about more. It seems to screw with the whole DCU.

Owzers

i would complain about spoilers not being marked, but having just read New Avengers #15 then the second half of the spoiler post, i still barely understand what happened at the very end.
apparently that's Coruvs regenerating? I should reread Infinity

After Hickman's 10 page decompression about psuedoscience, the Illuminati are looking into the past for a particular wavelength and sees the Black Swan interacting with 3 other particular events/universes. Killing someone on a ritual altar, executing Reed/Stark with Manifold, and going to her homeworld to retrieve a vial of something and escaping into unobservable space.
Avengers lock her up in her cell after a battle presumably, that's why its bloody. Her and Terrax have a vague chat about death and solace in being locked in the cube. Proxima Midnight and the other Cull Obsidian guy look like he's regenerating in the other cube.

Thank you. Jesus what an obtuse issue.

i would complain about spoilers not being marked, but having just read New Avengers #15 then the second half of the spoiler post, i still barely understand what happened at the very end.
apparently that's Coruvs regenerating? I should reread Infinity

Aye. Corvus can't die so long as his spear is intact.

Swan's MO is basically finding Illuminati, having them kill their friends and find the Manifold in hopes of saving their world, and then leaving. Then she kills the Manifold, I presume (issue #1). Illuminati sees that they can't trust her, go to lock her back up. She hits Maximus something fierce, she gets locked back up.

zeeaykay

Stray Bullets. Did anyone pick up the huge 40 issue omnibus that Image just put out? I'm wondering how readable it is, given it's 1200 pages!

Anyone want to indulge in my lack of willpower (of buying fantastic books) and convince me to pick it up?

You ever go out of your way to read bad comics? Not even Messi-quality comics, I mean just real shit ones that everybody knows are bad, even the writers?

At a friend's house yesterday, his dad had a collection of comics he used to read back in the day, and he had all fourteen Maximum Carnage issues. I feel strangely compelled to read these things, so I borrowed them, and he looked at me like I was crazy.

This is a 14-part story, man. And we're not talking Watchmen here; this is basically a fourteen part fight scene where Carnage and his squad of d-list 90s bad guys crack cornball jokes and slice up NYC vs Venom, Spider-Man, and a random assortment of d-list Marvel heroes that were trying to make popular. Literally every issue is the exact same thing; Spidey says he's not gonna kill, then Venom says he's a bitch-made punk, then the bad guys get away and they fight next issue with new random assortment of people.

Carnage is SO boring. He's a character that could only really get popular in the 90s, because underneath his "cool" exterior, he's one dimensional and corny as hell. He's killing all these mothafuckas in NYC, and where's the National Guard? The US Army? The Avengers or FF? The only dudes who can stand up to Kletus Cassidy and his flock of flunkies is Spidey, Venom, and fuckin' Cloak and Dagger!? Then you got the Pete-MJ thing, which Michelinie couldn't write worth a damn, all she does is cry about Peter and Peter complains about her smoking now because ya know comics and she's like "DANGEROUS!? YOU SPIDER-MAN MY NIGGA!" and its just this bad soap opera

image69-e1379585628669.jpg

Did I remind you that this is a 14-part part story? FOURTEEN. As in more than THIRTEEN. And its a crossover that effected the whole line, for THREE MONTHS. You had to buy Amazing, Web of, Unlimited, Spider-Man, and Spectacular(yeah Spider-Man had five ongoings, it was the 90s, the Punisher had THREE, fam). The only reason this story is so long is to get as much money from suckers as possible.

This thing is amazing in its own way. Its like all the stereotypes about 90s excess in one package. The art, the writing, the "plot", the blatant cashgrabs, the fact that Venom is so popular for no reason outside his design this ASM cover says "Venom & pals" like Peter Parker aint shit...this is incredible

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You ever go out of your way to read bad comics? Not even Messi-quality comics, I mean just real shit ones that everybody knows are bad, even the writers?

At a friend's house yesterday, his dad had a collection of comics he used to read back in the day, and he had all fourteen Maximum Carnage issues. I feel strangely compelled to read these things, so I borrowed them, and he looked at me like I was crazy.

This is a 14-part story, man. And we're not talking Watchmen here; this is basically a fourteen part fight scene where Carnage and his squad of d-list 90s bad guys crack cornball jokes and slice up NYC vs Venom, Spider-Man, and a random assortment of d-list Marvel heroes that were trying to make popular. Literally every issue is the exact same thing; Spidey says he's not gonna kill, then Venom says he's a bitch-made punk, then the bad guys get away and they fight next issue with new random assortment of people.

Carnage is SO boring. He's a character that could only really get popular in the 90s, because underneath his "cool" exterior, he's one dimensional and corny as hell. He's killing all these mothafuckas in NYC, and where's the National Guard? The US Army? The Avengers or FF? The only dudes who can stand up to Kletus Cassidy and his flock of flunkies is Spidey, Venom, and fuckin' Cloak and Dagger!? Then you got the Pete-MJ thing, which Michelinie couldn't write worth a damn, all she does is cry about Peter and Peter complains about her smoking now because ya know comics and she's like "DANGEROUS!? YOU SPIDER-MAN MY NIGGA!" and its just this bad soap opera

Did I remind you that this is a 14-part part story? FOURTEEN. As in more than THIRTEEN. And its a crossover that effected the whole line, for THREE MONTHS. You had to buy Amazing, Web of, Unlimited, Spider-Man, and Spectacular(yeah Spider-Man had five ongoings, it was the 90s, the Punisher had THREE, fam). The only reason this story is so long is to get as much money from suckers as possible.

This thing is amazing in its own way. Its like all the stereotypes about 90s excess in one package. The art, the writing, the "plot", the blatant cashgrabs, the fact that Venom is so popular for no reason outside his design this ASM cover says "Venom & pals" like Peter Parker aint shit...this is incredible

I loved these one scene were Spidey is about giving up, when he looks up, sees Captian America and gains hope again. Gave me goose pimples back then when I read it.

tim1138

Every few months I revisit 90s X-Men comics via the recently released hardcovers Marvel put out (in my mind it's much easier to get a hc from the library then dig up my floppies from that era), and god were those stories a mess. I've reread X-Cutioner's Song and just finished Bishop's Crossing. Pretty much everything that made me love these stories as a kid is terrible when put through the lens of modern comics and storytelling. You have Scott Lobdell writing damn near everything and all the terrible 90s art cliches: pouches, guns, all the female characters walking in pointe (when you actually see their feet that is), the the broken back t and a always on display poses, it's all there! And talk about crossovers, it seems like every year there was some 12 part X book crossover. 90s comics man, 90s comics.

One of my favorite comic blogs was(is?) Not Blog X, where he looks at all those 90s comics everybody just throws under the bus. He reads ALL the 90s X-Men comics over the course of a couple years, man. Every single damn one. Turns out, yeah, most of them aint very good, especially the yearly fuckin' crossovers that stop the books from having any kind of momentum or plotlines of its own to do. Its funny seeing him try to figure out what the editors were thinking at the time, and going off his own experiences reading these things growing up.

One example, they gave Todd McFarlane his own Spider-Man book to write and draw, since this was a time the artists were the main selling point and the writers were interchangeable, so who cares if we have half a dozen Spider-Man books and this guy can't write, he can draw and people will buy it(I'm trying hard to refrain from commenting on the current overload of Batman books and guys like Tony Daniel, David Finch, Adam Kubert, and Neal Adams doing bad stories, but oops)

Actually reading the series, I wondered why there were so many splash pages and giant panels, and why I was paying extra for a comic that was a much quicker read than the rest of Marvel’s line. The letters page ran letters from people openly mocking McFarlane’s writing ability, which is something I’d never seen Marvel do before. Yet, I faithfully purchased each issue. I wanted a McFarlane Spider-Man comic, and there it was every month. I’d never read such a dark series before, or a Spider-Man comic without subplots or a supporting cast. It felt more like a movie and less like a TV show, and I think I bought into the idea that it was more “artistic” than the rest of Marvel’s books. This specific issue was probably the biggest letdown of the entire run, as we were never even told the villain’s name, or given a motivation outside of the Kraven references. The next issue had Hobgoblin and Ghost Rider, though, so I couldn’t wait.

what_if__spider_man__torment_by_sqarr-d63ny2l.jpg

"His webline--Advantageous!" has become pretty legendary bit of narration, as well that other opening bit:

New York.

Littered with towering concrete giants that seem to swallow up the sky.

They are silent -- frozen -- man-made guardians.

Below is where the city’s heartbeat is.

People scurry about their business.

Oblivious to the crowds -- the congestion -- the pressure --

Yet --

--At times, some wish they could --

RISE ABOVE IT ALL!

tim1138

The only good thing to come from all those X-Men was the short stint Jae Lee had on X-Factor, I still love his version of Archangel and Apocalypse. I have no idea who his colorist was for this cover, but it's still one of my favorite depictions of Archangel.

xfactor-86.jpg

ViewtifulJC said:
I distinctly remember him going over Age of Apocalypse as one of the few(only?) X-men 90s crossovers that worked. Of course, the rest of the year was all aimless plots and dumb storytelling, but hey.

That is actually next on my list, I got some huge omnibus of it through interlibrary loan last week. It's the first big X-Men story from that era I have never read, event fatigue had caused me to go on a long hiatus around the time Fatal Attractions wrapped up.

With Manhattan Projects, Deadly Class and the Dark Cybertron Finale, this is bound to be a great week.
Rachel Rising #24

Serenity Leaves On The Wind #3

Fables #139
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #6
Red Lanterns #29
Worlds' Finest #21

Transformers Dark Cybertron Finale #1

Deadly Class #3
Manhattan Projects #19

All-New Ghost Rider #1
Amazing X-Men #5
Avengers #27
Deadpool #26
Guardians Of The Galaxy #13
Hawkeye #18
Iron Patriot #1
New Avengers #16.NOW
Superior Spider-Man #30
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #11
Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW

Stray Bullets. Did anyone pick up the huge 40 issue omnibus that Image just put out? I'm wondering how readable it is, given it's 1200 pages!

Anyone want to indulge in my lack of willpower (of buying fantastic books) and convince me to pick it up?

I picked up a copy. It's good, most comparable to the Walking Dead Compendium. Large but very readable.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That is actually next on my list, I got some huge omnibus of it through interlibrary loan last week. It's the first big X-Men story from that era I have never read, event fatigue had caused me to go on a long hiatus around the time Fatal Attractions wrapped up.

Prepare for Lobdell. I tried reading Age of Apocalypse to bolster my knowledge of Remender's AOA Uncanny X-Force awesomeness, and it was miserable. The way they move around characters' affinities and alter personalities/motivations is cool but I don't think I read a single issue with good writing, and the art is just 90s incarnate. I gave up halfway through the event, but maybe it gets less awful as get through more of the stories?

tim1138

Prepare for Lobdell. I tried reading Age of Apocalypse to bolster my knowledge of Remender's AOA Uncanny X-Force awesomeness, and it was miserable. The way they move around characters' affinities and alter personalities/motivations is cool but I don't think I read a single issue with good writing, and the art is just 90s incarnate. I gave up halfway through the event, but maybe it gets less awful as get through more of the stories?

Sadly, I am well versed in shitty Scott Lobdell X-Men comics. When it comes to his stuff, I don't think it's an issue of the stories getting less awful so much it is the reader just becoming numb to it all. Your brain reaches a breaking point where it's easier to just accept the drek on the page and not question it anymore.

yep

Empowered Special #6 (Internal Medicine)
Star Wars Legacy II #13
Tomb Raider #2

All-Star Western #29
Aquaman #29
Flash #29
Harley Quinn #0 (Amanda Conner 2nd Printing Variant Cover)
Harley Quinn #1 (Amanda Conner 3rd Printing Variant Cover)
Justice League Dark #29
Red Lanterns #29
Worlds' Finest #21

All-New X-Factor #5
Amazing X-Men #5
Silver Surfer #1
Superior Spider-Man #30
Uncanny Avengers #18.

Messi

yep

Empowered Special #6 (Internal Medicine)
Star Wars Legacy II #13
Tomb Raider #2

All-Star Western #29
Aquaman #29
Flash #29
Harley Quinn #0 (Amanda Conner 2nd Printing Variant Cover)
Harley Quinn #1 (Amanda Conner 3rd Printing Variant Cover)
Justice League Dark #29
Red Lanterns #29
Worlds' Finest #21

All-New X-Factor #5
Amazing X-Men #5
Silver Surfer #1
Superior Spider-Man #30
Uncanny Avengers #18.

Dem variants.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sadly, I am well versed in shitty Scott Lobdell X-Men comics. When it comes to his stuff, I don't think it's an issue of the stories getting less awful so much it is the reader just becoming numb to it all. Your brain reaches a breaking point where it's easier to just accept the drek on the page and not question it anymore.

Ah, the Messi Effect.

kswiston

Age of Apocalypse actually had a fair bit of talent working on it. Warren Ellis did X-Calibur, Larry Hama did Weapon X, Mark Waid worked with Lobdell on the opening and closing one-shots. I think that was also back when people actually liked Jeph Loeb.

On art, you had Carlos Pachelo, Adam Kubert (never really liked Andy, who also worked on AoA), Steve Scroce, Steve Epting, Non-photoreferenced Salvador Larroca, Chris Bachalo, Joe Bennett, and others.

arkon

Bravest Warriors #18
Dead Boy Detectives #4
Deadly Class #3
Hawkeye #18
Manhattan Projects #19
Midas Flesh #4
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #3
Silver Surfer #1 (Skottie Young Variant Cover)
Star Wars Legacy II #13
Transformers Dark Cybertron Finale
Umbral #5

Maybe checking out Sovereign as well.

Cheska

Gah, previewsworld didn't have Rachel Rising listed. I'll definitely be picking that up on Wednesday as well.

Should add Tomb Raider #2 and Amazing X-Men #5 to that list as well.

yes!! I hope my LCS has it in stock or that IST updates their website.

Man, I need to finish Captain America: Winter Soldier. I just beat inFAMOUS:SS and my body is so sore from sitting on my butt for two days lol. Maybe I'll be able to lay in the couch and get caught up on my reading.

Could be an expensive week:

Alex + Ada #5
Dead Body Road #4 (maybe)
Deadly Class #3
Fatale #21
Manhattan Projects #19
Revenge #2 (maybe)
Rat Queens TPB Vol 01

Marvel
All-New Ghost Rider #1
Hawkeye #18
Silver Surfer #1 (maybe)

Messi

Could be an expensive week:

Alex + Ada #5
Dead Body Road #4 (maybe)
Deadly Class #3
Fatale #21
Manhattan Projects #19
Revenge #2 (maybe)
Rat Queens TPB Vol 01

Marvel
All-New Ghost Rider #1
Hawkeye #18
Silver Surfer #1 (maybe)

Hawkeye #18 was last week no?

Dead Body Road #4
Deadly Class #3
Krampus #4
Umbral #5

Serenity #3

Hawkeye #18

I'm really surprised at how many have listed Umbral. I've been considering dropping it after this month. It's crazy that it has the same writer as The Fuse because they seem written very differently. I think it's mostly the art that is not growing on me.

Hawkeye #18 was last week no?

There's another Kate issue coming out this week.

I'm really surprised at how many have listed Umbral. I've been considering dropping it after this month. It's crazy that it has the same writer as The Fuse because they seem written very differently. I think it's mostly the art that is not growing on me.

I'm giving it the rest of the arc to see if it will stay on the pull, I've been enjoying it for the most part though.

Cheska

Is anyone else reading Fuse? I just wrapped up issue 2 today and it's really an intriguing piece of work. I love Klem, and quite honestly I'm happy they didn't make her a stereotypical pretty character. This semi-futuristic space world they've built and the current mystery should keep me coming back.

It's funny, I was initially a little hesitant to give it a shot because Umbral is starting to drag on and I didn't want to get sucked in by something else that may inevitably follow the same pace.

Is anyone else reading Fuse? I just wrapped up issue 2 today and it's really an intriguing piece of work. I love Klem, and quite honestly I'm happy they didn't make her a stereotypical pretty character. This semi-futuristic space world they've built and the current mystery should keep me coming back.

It's funny, I was initially a little hesitant to give it a shot because Umbral is starting to drag on and I didn't want to get sucked in by something else that may inevitably follow the same pace.

Yeah, I've been buying Fuse off the rack. It's been interesting so far, and the characters are pretty far from what you usually see. I was initially into Umbral as well, but ended up dropping it after issue #2. It just didn't keep me interested. Art was pretty, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom