• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poor pacing of Borever Evil, Age of Boretron and Borefinity are really making me wish these events had lesser issues.

Trinity War had good pacing and new stuff kept happening in each issue which never felt like filler unlike the above.

Boogiepop

Well, that was a nice little set of comics I just read. Daredevil #1 was a great start that kept up the quality, of course. And something finally happened in Uncanny X-men, and it was great! And Ms. Marvel #2 is cementing my love for this book. Something about it is just giving me that feel I got from watching Static Shock, which I love! Though I didn't realize in the first issue that her powers were coming from the Inhuman mist stuff. I know pretty much nothing about the Inhumans, though. Is it pretty much you breath the mist and essentially become a mutant, or is there more to it? Can I still expect plenty of other random teenagers having randomly acquired powers popping up from this event to complete my Static Shock comparison? Or is that not too likely? Either way, though, I hope this book gets a nice, meaty run, because I've really liked these first two issues.

Owzers

WATXM 41 and 42 were okay, a great end to Aaron's run, but just like Johns' Green Lantern it's hard to realllly take seriously or care about a "future" written by someone in a continuity comic that another writer is going to take over and after the next 3 takeovers none of what that future was will materialize, so it feels like.....empty feels.

I'm going to go to Graham Cracker comic store about an hour away, for the Hell Boy 20 years sale.
And suggestions on what I should pick up. Haven't read much Hell Boy but I do like it and the art.

Library Editions, if they have them.

Ok I will look for that, That's just a bigger collection of trades?

If they don't have those what else should I get,, I know there's a lot of different Hellboy stories right? Like B.P.R.D. and Abe Sapien, seems like there is a bunch of different HellBoy titles? Is B.P.R.D the original HellBoy books?

Messi

My Y the last man journey has entered it's final leg :(. Two more books to go. I'm gonna be super bummed when it's over.

Vyer

I used to read Powers a long time ago, I think I left off on the sixth or seventh trade. Might pick it back up with the Comixology sale.

PsychBat!

Banned
I read 3 issues of Powers and quit.

I just could not stand it.

In that case, I think you'll find most superhero group books written by the same guy (Bendis) to be less than favorable. Like his current Guardians of the Galaxy run.

On that note, I'm not sure if everyone heard but here it is since no one asked.

GARGALALCCV1TPB-718f9.jpg

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY BY ABNETT & LANNING: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 TPB
Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
Penciled by PAUL PELLETIER, BRAD WALKER, CARLOS MAGNO & WES CRAIG
Cover by CLINT LANGLEY
With the fabric of the universe torn, all that stands between us and invading horrors is a team of cosmic misfits. Led by Star-Lord, the newly minted Guardians of the Galaxy include a who’s who of the mightiest — and most bizarre — protectors the stars have ever seen! Rocket Raccoon, Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Gamora, Adam Warlock, Mantis, the all-new Quasar, Cosmo the telepathic space dog and more take on the universe’s most dangerous menaces — and have fun while doing it! But when Major Victory and Starhawk, two members of the Guardians of the future, make their explosive returns, is there more going on than meets the eye? And as the Skrulls’ secret invasion tears the new team apart, who will guard the galaxy from the Church of Universal Truth, the Badoon and King Blastaar? Collecting GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) #1-12.
296 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99

Coming in June!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm going to go to Graham Cracker comic store about an hour away, for the Hell Boy 20 years sale.
And suggestions on what I should pick up. Haven't read much Hell Boy but I do like it and the art.

Speaking of this, is any online store having a sale on Hellboy stuff due to the anniversary? I'd be so happy if I could grab some of the Library Editions on the cheap.

In that case, I think you'll find most superhero group books written by the same guy (Bendis) to be less than favorable. Like his current Guardians of the Galaxy run.

On that note, I'm not sure if everyone heard but here it is since no one asked.

Coming in June!

Sweet! That was originally slated for August.

Drake

If I go to a comics shop today and try to get a copy of the new Witcher comic that came out the other day, what are the chances that it is already sold out because it's the first issue?

Owzers

Thinking about Forever Evil, it's a little weird that the big moments in comics often rely on over the top violence. This is condensed in forever evil, where the focus points, to me, have been
Sinestro ripping off the arm of Power Ring and then an issue or two later, Cold freezing then breaking bizarro Flash' leg off, and earlier Ultraman breaking Black Adam's jaw.
This has also been the case in Thor's usage, where he comes around and hammers someone in the face like in Looney Toons. But back to Forever Evil, outside of the hyper violence and Lex Luthor storytime weaseling his way into the Justice League when this mini ends, Forever Evil is entirely forgettable.

I finished the full run of American Vampire. Snyder straight up kills it with the book. What an awesome story!

Any reason to read the mini-series, or should I just start up Second Wave?

kswiston

I finished the full run of American Vampire. Snyder straight up kills it with the book. What an awesome story!

You skipped all of the minis? Survival of the Fittest continued some of the plot points from the main book's second or third arcs. It just wasn't focused on the main cast. I don't think I read Lord of Darkness.

You skipped all of the minis? Survival of the Fittest continued some of the plot points from the main book's second or third arcs. It just wasn't focused on the main cast. I don't think I read Lord of Darkness.

Yeah, I was reading the monthlies in sequential order on Comixology. It looks like the mini-series stuff was included in the trades, so maybe they're more essential to the story than I originally assumed.

Afaik, the characters in the miniseries will be participating in the arc 2 of the story (Second Cycle).

Also, Sean Murphy's is doing the art on Survival of the fittest

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stumptown is officially returning as an ongoing in September. Justin Greenwood is now confirmed as the new artist.

Yeah, I was reading the monthlies in sequential order on Comixology. It looks like the mini-series stuff was included in the trades, so maybe they're more essential to the story than I originally assumed.

I know this, they're very worth reading.

Owzers

i'm mixed on Sovereign #1, the write-up at the end was more interesting than the entire issue itself, and that's a problem. The book was split up into three main sections with only one of three being mildly interesting, but the lore itself was intriguing. Not sure if i'll continue pre-ordering or wait for reviews of later issues and pick up the trade...

Just wanted to let you all know that Thor: Season One, which is on sale for $1.99 on comixology is great. It's probably the best Thor origin story I've ever read and I wish the Marvel movie was based on it.

Messi

I just read it today!! Jimmy and Amanda have not let me down so far :)

DUDE! How funny, I have that same Spider-Man print that I bought from that guy at Comic-Con one year.

N43KtAol.jpg

Great to hear. I loved how random that whole issue was. It was harley in a nutshell never thinking things through.

Owzers

Lazaurs #7: Seven issues in and Rucka has failed to get me to kill myself after reading his book. Infamous Second Son just arrived from Gamefly Greg, not gonna happen, doesn't matter how bleak and empty the world of Lazarus is, i got stuff to do. I think i'm going to stop pre-ordering the book though...just to play it safe. It's a long time until more PS4 games come out.

DarkSloth

Oh Gosh! Thank you Saturday delivery!

Went with my first omnibus. Instock trades had it cheaper and sooner than amazon, so bam! While I was ordering, I noticed they also had Complete Collection of JIM vol 1.... I didn't even know this thing existed, but it was an instabuy. Oh so good!

I was pretty impressed with the packaging, too. Though a little slower than amazon, it was great seeing the books, so well, protected.

I have thy list.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
Subtotal: $41.89 for 13 items
Sales Tax @6.00%: $2.51
Total: $44.40
AQUAMAN #29 $2.99
CATWOMAN #29 $2.99
FLASH #29 $2.99
FOREVER EVIL ARGUS #6 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #29 (EVIL) $3.99
RED LANTERNS #29 $2.99
WAKE #7 (MR) $2.99
WORLDS FINEST #21 $2.99
ALEX + ADA #5 $2.99
DEADLY CLASS #3 (MR) $3.50
FATALE #21 (MR) $3.50
REVENGE #2 (MR) $2.99
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #30 ANMN $3.99
0 items priced 'Please Inquire':
End of BuyList

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I bought the first volume of Elephantmen for really cheap on a whim a while back and just started reading it. So far I'm really enjoying it. The art seems to be a bit iffy at times (but the coloring usually hides it pretty well when it is), but I love the world and the stories.

Does anyone else here read Elephantmen? Is it worth picking up more of the volumes?

So I bought the first volume of Elephantmen for really cheap on a whim a while back and just started reading it. So far I'm really enjoying it. The art seems to be a bit iffy at times (but the coloring usually hides it pretty well when it is), but I love the world and the stories.

Does anyone else here read Elephantmen? Is it worth picking up more of the volumes?

Love Elephantmen. Art gets much better as you go. It's still something of an obscure title. My comic shop special orders it for me, as I don't think anyone else reads it. XD

Edit: Also, List

Empowered Special #6 - Internal Medicine
Furious #3
Red Lanterns #29
Wake #7
Alex + Ada #5
Deadly Class #3
Fatale #21
Walking Dead #124
Guardians of the Galaxy #13
Hawkeye #18
New Avengers #16.NOW
Silver Surfer #1

As expensive as this month is, next month will be super-expensive. Mostly due to Superior Spider-Man #31 and Amazing Spider-Man #1, both $5.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom