• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

I think #2 is still my fave.

It seems very rare to find good write ups on comics. Is that just because I'm new? I do enjoy most of what multiversity does.

There's a lot of comic review websites, but many of them have poor writing. The AV Club typically has well-done essays, Comics Alliance has some great write-ups, and Weekly Comic Book Review seems to have some good writers (though a few are pretty poor).

I'd suggest checking out ComicBookRoundup.com and finding a few writers that you agree with to follow.

ReAxion

There's a lot of comic review websites, but many of them have poor writing. The AV Club typically has well-done essays, Comics Alliance has some great write-ups, and Weekly Comic Book Review seems to have some good writers (though a few are pretty poor).

I'd suggest checking out ComicBookRoundup.com and finding a few writers that you agree with to follow.

Thanks for the picks. I don't really need to agree with the review/reviewer, I just want the reviews to be good. Back up your positive/negative statements! It seems there's a lot of fans that want to write about comics but just don't know how to review things.

Check out Comic Vine.

I've noticed they give two stars for spelling the name correctly at the top of the test.

I hadn't read a Thor solo book before before getting the two God of Thunder trades. It's very easy to get into and bloody brilliant as well. I couldn't put it down.

Seconded. Also very pretty to look at. I've read the 3rd trade/arc dips in quality but it's back on for the 4th (current) one.

So glad the weekend is here, got some catching up to do.

New Spidery teaser
OWfeHfS.jpg

Owzers

dcbs shipment is here! Time to read Forever Evil #6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forever Evil #6: Yes! Give me that
Superboy prime reveal! That was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! " What Universe am i in? What have they DONE? I had family! I was making friends, people liked me! Didio ruined everything AGAIN rawrrrrrrrrrr" And then Superboy Prime turned into a RED LANTERN and it was amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.
Seriously, best issue of the year. Johns is back.

tim1138

dcbs shipment is here! Time to read Forever Evil #6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forever Evil #6: Yes! Give me that
Superboy prime reveal! That was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! " What Universe am i in? What have they DONE? I had family! I was making friends, people liked me! Didio ruined everything AGAIN rawrrrrrrrrrr" And then Superboy Prime turned into a RED LANTERN and it was amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.
Seriously, best issue of the year. Johns is back.

Post of the month.

Man, who likes Simone Bianchi's style? Whenever I see it, it just seems like a series of poorly constructed characters to me, a real mishmash.

fauxtrot

Banned
Does anyone here have experience searching out / buying original comic art (like the interiors /covers)? I'm looking to pick up some stuff to frame in my room and it seems like the prices vary greatly. I'd love to get some BPRD stuff that isn't already marked up to crazy prices by resellers. Anything by Mignola looks like it's priced over $1500 no matter what, so I've given up hope on ever owning anything he drew...

tim1138

So Ellen Page is gonna be Tara Chace in the Queen and Country movie? Huh.

ViktVaughn said:
Does anyone here have experience searching out / buying original comic art (like the interiors /covers)? I'm looking to pick up some stuff to frame in my room and it seems like the prices vary greatly. I'd love to get some BPRD stuff that isn't already marked up to crazy prices by resellers. Anything by Mignola looks like it's priced over $1000 no matter what, so I've given up hope on ever owning anything he drew...

All depends on the artist, some guys sell their stuff through dealers, some sell it on their own and prices vary based on the notoriety of the book, the artist, and what exactly is on the pages. Covers are always super expensive, and so are double page spreads. Mignola is a pretty huge name, so his stuff being $1000+ doesn't surprise me at all.

Unai

H'El on Earth is too damn annoying to read in trades. I hate this events that are impossible to get the whole story reading only one book.

They made Rotworld and Throne of Atlantis right. If I only read Animal Man, the trade had the two essencial Swamp Thing issues. The same with Justice League and Animal Man. Hél on Earth was just annoying. And as far as I could see, the Green Lanterns are just as bad.

Messi

So Ellen Page is gonna be Tara Chace in the Queen and Country movie? Huh.

All depends on the artist, some guys sell their stuff through dealers, some sell it on their own and prices vary based on the notoriety of the book, the artist, and what exactly is on the pages. Covers are always super expensive, and so are double page spreads. Mignola is a pretty huge name, so his stuff being $1000+ doesn't surprise me at all.

I very nearly bought a page from Chew a few months back.

This one

CHEW%2030-20.jpg

tim1138

I very nearly bought a page from Chew a few months back.

This one

CHEW%2030-20.jpg

I've posted the pictures before, but my wife got me two Tyler Kirkham pages from Green Lantern: New Guardians. I got them framed and they hang in our upstairs den/living room.

I think I have a growing, secret fondness for comic covers that have literally nothing to do with what happens in the book. Like, I know I shouldn't and should actually find the practice deceptive but there is also a fine art to it. Take New Guardians #29,

NOTHING ABOUT THIS HAPPENED. The Priestess lady and Kyle have no romantic interaction or even any physical contact or any expressions of attraction nor does Carol have any weird sulky jealousy going on.

But I still love it.

Owzers

not a good start to DCBS March Madness ( though in non-comics related news, i picked Duke to tank in the second round, not first)

Walking Dead 122 and 123: Kirkman decided to start releasing the All Out War story arc twice a month and in similar Bendis " we need to tell this quicker!" fashion it's because it's rather boring issue to issue and the only solution is to get them out faster so it won't feel as long. But it does feel long, there is an over abundance each issue of going character to character each day talking about how they feel, which isn't a bad thing for comics, but Kirkman has never been one for engaging dialog so it feels flat in long spurts. The only highlight was when
Superboy Prime showed up FROM OUT OF NOWHERE and killed Negan by throwing him onto the moon.
I didn't see that coming, i had no idea that Kirkman was capable of such shocking moments 100+ issues into his run and i can't wait for issue 124. Kirkman is at the top of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom