• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
He's saying Microsoft won march in the US.
Everywhere else Sony won march?
o_O

MS has no chance of outselling worldwide in a month. Like... for the foreseeable future. With the massive leads they had every month in the US and UK last-gen they rarely (if ever?) sold more worldwide in a particular month. Maybe the holidays with the hueg US and UK leads during those months. With those leads turned around, or at minimum reduced to nothing, Sony is just going to grow their worldwide lead month in and month out.

Something isn't adding up.

Bish wouldn't be teasing if Microsoft just won March NPD.

There are only two possible outcomes from this.

Twitter dude is wrong/lying and Sony won March. This would be a bombshell.

Twitter dude is right, but is leaving out the part where MS has overtaken Sony in NA. This would be a bombshell.
MS has overtaken Sony in NA

NHjNH9l.gif

borghe

Not too far fetched though with their main system seller game appearing that month, and all the retailer discounting.

it would have to be OVER a 100% sales increase from last month. Never.

edit - or like a 32% sales increase (highly unlikely) with PS4 selling zero units (obviously impossible)

Something isn't adding up.

Bish wouldn't be teasing if Microsoft just won March NPD.

There are only two possible outcomes from this.

Twitter dude is wrong/lying and Sony won March. This would be a bombshell.

Twitter dude is right, but is leaving out the part where MS has overtaken Sony in NA. This would be a bombshell.

Unless Microsoft overtakes Sony's LTD by a huge margin, that would not be a bomb shell at all.

The only bunker worthy bomb for me would be if both consoles sold the exact same numbers.

GAF will be in shambles deciding whether xbox is catching up to PS4, titanfall marketing has failed to make a dent or if the console industry is just doomed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not too far fetched though with their main system seller game appearing that month, and all the retailer discounting.

It's pretty far fatched when you consider the floor for PS4 in March would have to be about 350k given another 1 million in sales worldwide with only 100k coming from Japan. There's no way XB1 topped 700k in a non-holiday month.

viveks86

Is there a way to get amazon's best seller's list for March alone? The only option I see is yearly. No way to get it for a month? Wonder what that looks like.

3-4mil copies?, there is almost 0 chance of that. The game only just come out for 360 and Titanfall on X1 would be at best 1mil. Are you being that wild with your expectations on purpose so you can come back on later and try to downplay the game or something?.

Not at all. Check my post history. I am not one to play the console warz game. I honestly forgot it didn't come out until very late. I still expect them to have a banner March.

Whoa...I did not expect #5 and #6 positions...

borghe

Is there a way to get amazon's best seller's list for March alone? The only option I see is yearly. No way to get it for a month? Wonder what that looks like.

I'm the biggest PS4 proponent ever... and even I have to say Amazon's charts are rarely ever indicative of the real world. that is to say sometimes they align, and sometimes they don't. you can't really use them for much.

and that's knowing that yes, PS4 is showing much higher than XBONE on their March 2014 charts. all that means is that come NPD PS4 could win, or XBONE could win.

viveks86

Thanks! Rank 1 vs (Rank 11 + Rank 76). And people expect the xbox one to lead by more than 300K??? Is that even possible?

I'm the biggest PS4 proponent ever... and even I have to say Amazon's charts are rarely ever indicative of the real world. that is to say sometimes they align, and sometimes they don't. you can't really use them for much.

and that's knowing that yes, PS4 is showing much higher than XBONE on their March 2014 charts. all that means is that come NPD PS4 could win, or XBONE could win.

Yeah I agree that Amazon needn't be indicative, but the gap seems quite big to ignore. I don't know. Today is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

B.O.O.M

I saw what your post was before the edit, but the context of it given what you quoted...

dang it i missed it :S

Either MS did so well it's ahead of the PS4 LTD now

or

Sony actually won. Which would be insane

Other than these two scenarios, anything else would be boring

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Was... this was their strongest territory
=p

Still will be. They likely won't win it again, but will have higher market share in the US than anywhere else.

So I'd be surprised if they didn't win March in the US. But I think the margin will be limited by Sony finally starting to get stock back out the later half of the month.

My wonky predictions aside... XO winning March NPD would be expected

Overtaking Sony in total though... Would be a surprise

How large is the gap to begin with?

So if twitter correct Microsoft won March not XB1? Would it mean that the 360 and XB1 beat the PS4 and PS3 together? Bunker for PS4 being top selling console,but with 360 and XB1 MS sold more in March?

JPHJ

Neo Member
The other theory is that they could've been saving the 7 mil announcement in case they came behind in NPDs this month but they weren't sure until yesterday. When they found out they were ahead they released the 7 mil figure so as not to crowd the NPD news of today...

Im completely confused. At first upon release of the 7M figure I thought yes they got in early to steal MS's thunder after them winning npd. But then I read the posts about it being better after as otherwise the 7M message was drowned out, after it takes news away from MS. Then I read the post you replied too and was swung again. But if sony had lost npd they could relesse the 7m figure just after npd same time ms does and it would not just be the npd in the mainstream articles but both.

So having released the figure early I can only now agree with your theory that they were saving it but found out and released early, like they did in the past,sas not to bundle news together what will be 2 big separate stories creating more news.

This result would be maybe worthy of the bunker pic but then theres this twitter guy saying opposite, is he anyone at all, just as it was all figured out maybe?

My heads baffled, I need to go and lie down in a bunker.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Still will be. They likely won't win it again, but will have higher market share in the US than anywhere else.

So I'd be surprised if they didn't win March in the US. But I think the margin will be limited by Sony finally starting to get stock back out the later half of the month.

I think the margin may not be as big as last month

What was the PS4's total lifetime lead in the US as of last month?

I dont think it was a lot.

LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 2.22 million

ahuffman

Banned
Unless the ps4 took a nosedive, I just cannot see the xbox erasing the LTD deficit. Selling over 600k in a non-holiday month would be crazy.

Top Bottom