• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

For those who can't be bothered clicking the link:

ASuetZp.png

Man, Sony are making a fortune on the PSN.

People are saying Sony made this announcement due to them knowing that they lost to MS this March. I ask you, how do they know MS's numbers? I thought they got numbers two hours prior to the official NPD release?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
When are NPD numbers in for CET?

And here, PS4 got steadier supply, but things are going off the shelves same day when they arrive.

ethomaz

Banned
Man, Sony are making a fortune on the PSN.
I think a lot of outsiders buy PSN cards in US websites because like me when I created my PSN account the Store in Brazil didn't exists so I created one US account... now I need PSN US cards because Sony blocked the Credit Card use (sometimes it works again for some period... American Express... Visa and Master Card didn't work at all).

People are saying Sony made this announcement due to them knowing that they lost to MS this March. I ask you, how do they know MS's numbers? I thought they got numbers two hours prior to the official NPD release?

Big corporations have various ways of finding out how well the competitors are doing, to a certain level of accuracy.

This is the second time this week Bish has responded to one of my posts.

I'm on like high alert right now man, you don't know what it's like.

I feel like any second now this is going to happen to me.

whacked.gif

EVERYONE IS GANGING UP ON ME MAN.

You just made my day :D

Thread-related, I feel that the silence of MS PR is shady. I could be totally wrong, but it doesn't seem too well for them

Oh right. Totally forgot that the delay ran that long. My bad!

No worries. Either way be on the lookout for MS' figure for Titanfall. NPD doesn't count the bundles created by MS as software sales.

I'm getting worries that the thread will blow up and everyone will call MS a liar if they report much higher Titanfall sales than NPD due to this discrepancy + digital.

ocean

Banned
This thread is so good.

I really hope the first post after NPD is published is the Iron Man GIF with Kaz if Sony ends up winning.

FranXico

I think a lot of outsiders buy PSN cards in US websites because like me when I created my PSN account the Store in Brazil didn't exists so I created one US account... now I need PSN US cards because Sony blocked the Credit Card use (sometimes it works again for some period... American Express... Visa and Master Card didn't work at all).

Paypal is your friend. It's how I top up my portuguese PSN account from Belgium.

MoeB

Interesting.

I find it interesting that the one month the XBO beat the PS4 it also sold more on Amazon.

Stock was light so people were going online too to get it wherever they could. MS outsupplied them in December, so it seems the retailer share of stock was at least equal to Amazon, reflecting the overall performance.

ocean

Banned

You might wanna check. I was able to open a US PSN account with a foreign-issued American Express.

Averon

These companies have their own internal tracking methods. It's how Sony can say they sold 7 million PS4s to consumers, not shipped to retailer numbers.

Sony's decision to release sales figures comes at an interesting time for the neck and neck state of next-gen console purchases. The PS4 only barely edged out Microsoft's Xbox One in February, with 258,000 Xbox One units sold that month. That pushed Microsoft ahead of Sony in hardware sales on a dollar basis due to the Xbox One's higher price tag.

And those figures didn't include the critically acclaimed game Titanfall, which was bundled with the Xbox One in the US in March in a startlingly low-cost $499 package that essentially netted buyers a free copy of the title

Jesus.

good lord, lool.

ethomaz

Banned
You might wanna check. I was able to open a US PSN account with a foreign-issued American Express.
I can use my American Express but some times it stop to works for like a month... and so it back to works again... btw the Amercan Express is not that popular here in Brazil, most people don't have one.

Weird because I can use it outside the PSN Store.

vcc

Yeah exactly. I don't see how XB1 surpassing PS4 is going to be possible. Sales for PS4 is going to be higher than last month. Or at least it should be with ISS and MGS GZ being released in March.

I can see MS taking March, Feb was close and that was due to TF hype and there are plenty of XB1 in the retail channel to be snapped up when demand increases. I doubt it will bridge the LTD sales edge and it won't erase the WW LTD sales edge but I can see MS taking March.

I'm pretty certain MS will lose the year though. The momentum of TF is mostly gone and I don't see anything as compelling in 2014.

Lemondish

I can see MS taking March, Feb was close and that was due to TF hype and there are plenty of XB1 in the retail channel to be snapped up when demand increases. I doubt it will bridge the LTD sales edge and it won't erase the WW LTD sales edge but I can see MS taking March.

I'm pretty certain MS will lose the year though. The momentum of TF is mostly gone and I don't see anything as compelling in 2014.

It was also due to Sony launching in another major territory and a minor slow down in production. These things won't impact March.

The guy from twitter did say MS won.

Who is the guy from twitter BTW?

Interesting use of "Microsoft" instead of "Xbox One", as well as the use of the "...."

Xbox 360 sales could be quite good in the buildup for Titanfall on 360 as well, while PS3 sales could collapse due to quicker adoption of PS4.

So the Microsoft family > PS family would not surprise me.

But PS4 > XBO would be a big blow to MS's ego.

On Demand

Banned
It wouldn't be a popcorn ready situation ... unless the results go against what is considered the probable outcome. Mmmmm ...

MS won December NPD. Them winning March with Titanfall and price drops would be nothing to go crazy over. Unless it was by 200K. Don't think that's happening. PS4 winning despite all that would cause a mass hysteria.

So......

hawk2025

I mean at this point, I'll eat a buffet of crow if PS4 wins March, but it really looks like MS won March and many people accept it at this point.

I'd say the vast majority accept it. I suppose it's just kind of fun to think of the explosion that would result from the "what if?" scenario where that doesn't happen :p

Top Bottom