• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

tried batting practice which I completely suck at (I hate discipline) before doing an exhibition game to let the game finish installation. Managed to win 2-0 and get a trophy must to my surprise

I turned on my PS4 to check the download progress this morning (completed) but anytime I try to look at community challenges or upload my saves from the cloud which I created on my Vita version, it says "Network Connection Lost."

Anyone else have this?

Xater

So what are the positives and negatives to the different batting modes? I am currently just using the timing version. Is that fine or should I switch to something else once I have a feel for it?

v1lla21

Same haha.. need to spend some time in practice i guess
I was doing well at the end, but yeah, need more practice. I got scouted by the Giants which was great because once I got to AA I was doing way better.

I really hate those borderline Strikes lol, they are the worst thing ever.

DrBo42

Complete noob to the series, need some help. For the beginner pitching controls/UI I get that I'm supposed to time my pitch to the smallest point of the pulse but do I need to hold down X until release for better speed and control or what? I can't seem to be consistent.

Jrmint

Complete noob to the series, need some help. For the beginner pitching controls/UI I get that I'm supposed to time my pitch to the smallest point of the pulse but do I need to hold down X until release for better speed and control or what? I can't seem to be consistent.
As a new player also I have much better success with the meter pitching ui. I found the pulse went too quickly to be able to get the timing down, and the meter style is much more intuitive.

So what are the positives and negatives to the different batting modes? I am currently just using the timing version. Is that fine or should I switch to something else once I have a feel for it?

As a veteran of the series for five years, I use timing. I tried all the other hitting modes and a couple of years ago I decided to stick with timing using buttons instead of analog sticks for swinging.

I find Timing and TNK's sliders have been giving me very realistic stats and games this year. TNK recommends that you use Zone but I think his sliders work fine with Timing as well.

The only thing that I have found to adjust on TNK's sliders right now is the AI's pull time on the starting pitching. The AI seems to love pulling starting pitching at the first sign of trouble. Human power might be a little too high as well but I will see my home run numbers after a few more games and then decide.

I'm also using the OSFM roster set from Operation Sports.

So far, so good.

aTTckr

Sony just announced on the European PS Blog that the release is delayed in Europe, without additional information. Has there been a game that was pushed back on the day it was supposed to be released?

Currently doing my annual 30 team fantasy draft. Had to leave for work and left the PS4 running because you still can't save your draft progress. Oh well I should be done in two or three hours.
Honestly I'm glad that sounds of the show didn't make it in, because otherwise I would be looking at countless hours of player editing.
Yes I'm that obsessed when it comes to the game.
Haven't played a game yet lol.

DrBo42

Found that you can put a border on the pulse method, now I'm consistent. The meter is nice from a timing point of view but the UI for it is complete ass and it's huge.

CozMick

Banned
Sony just announced on the European PS Blog that the release is delayed in Europe, without additional information. Has there been a game that was pushed back on the day it was supposed to be released?

Ffs. Then why announce the day before that its out the next day?

Sony you're fucking useless.

DrBo42

I swear I've been installing all night, I guess that means I'm downloading since I'm on the digital version? Can't access half the features. If I create a CP in RTTS will my games in the season only have me play the final innings in that role? Would be fantastic.

I swear I've been installing all night, I guess that means I'm downloading since I'm on the digital version? Can't access half the features. If I create a CL pitcher in RTTS will my games in the season only have me play the final innings in that role? Would be fantastic.

Yeah, if you want to progress through RTTS quickly you should create a closer. My Kenny Powers only pitches the 9th and I have gone through a couple of seasons already.

Strider

Currently doing my annual 30 team fantasy draft. Had to leave for work and left the PS4 running because you still can't save your draft progress. Oh well I should be done in two or three hours.
Honestly I'm glad that sounds of the show didn't make it in, because otherwise I would be looking at countless hours of player editing.
Yes I'm that obsessed when it comes to the game.
Haven't played a game yet lol.

I'm looking at the Sounds of the Show menu right now though? Unless you mean it's just different than years past.

Anyone try Remote Play? I know it's super important to have a solid connection, and the Vita connection to PS4 is way better than the PS3 ever was...

Strider

Can't import mp3s though for custom walk up and stadium music.

Ah ok. That kinda sucks actually. I never used it for The Show but I used to always upload custom music in the NCAA football games and I always liked that feature. Shame those that enjoy it can't use it this year.

Strider

One thing that always bugged me about The Show series is the budget reset when you use a fantasy draft for franchise mode. I wish there was an option just to keep the teams budgets the same as if no fantasy draft was in place. I always feel like I need to draft a couple of older players that are useless but make a lot of money just to increase my payroll budget.

NHale

Sony really wants to piss off people that want to buy MLB 14 on their store. Guess what SCEE, I'm buying it on the US Store today if Grace Chan allows me to.

Xater

As a veteran of the series for five years, I use timing. I tried all the other hitting modes and a couple of years ago I decided to stick with timing using buttons instead of analog sticks for swinging.

I find Timing and TNK's sliders have been giving me very realistic stats and games this year. TNK recommends that you use Zone but I think his sliders work fine with Timing as well.

The only thing that I have found to adjust on TNK's sliders right now is the AI's pull time on the starting pitching. The AI seems to love pulling starting pitching at the first sign of trouble. Human power might be a little too high as well but I will see my home run numbers after a few more games and then decide.

I'm also using the OSFM roster set from Operation Sports.

So far, so good.

So it's more of a preference thing? I like the timing version. I tried zone but that actually fucked with my timing. So instead of giving me more control it felt like it just made things harder. I just wanna get decent at the game so I can also have some fun with Diamond Dynasty I don't care that much how realistic the stats end up being.

What about pitching though? The standard seems to be classic. That seems weird to me and here i actually do thing I am less in control. I think meter might suit me better coming from Power Pros.

Now I am even more glad I bought it from US PSN yesterday. Can only recommend it because of the favorable exchange rate.

Leg-End

So glad I've imported it now (its not here yet). No timetable on the EU release at all, could be tonight or it could be next week for all we know.

abrack08

So it's more of a preference thing? I like the timing version. I tried zone but that actually fucked with my timing. So instead of giving me more control it felt like it just made things harder. I just wanna get decent at the game so I can also have some fun with Diamond Dynasty I don't care that much how realistic the stats end up being.

What about pitching though? The standard seems to be classic. That seems weird to me and here i actually do thing I am less in control. I think meter might suit me better coming from Power Pros.

Now I am even more glad I bought it from US PSN yesterday. Can only recommend it because of the favorable exchange rate.

If you want to "level up" from timing once you feel like you've gotten it down, the natural next step would be zone. The timing aspect is the same, but you also have to aim where to swing to where the ball is. Of course it's harder than Timing and can throw off your timing, but that's why you practice. Shouldn't expect to move to a harder hitting style that requires more input and expect to not have any troubles.

Personally I can't stand not having control over where the player swings... Every time I get good or perfect timing and pop it up because the AI decided to swing under the ball... I like having as much control as possible. That's why I don't like quick counts either.

So this happened to me:

iGeUsm9oeovHq.gif

Nice...

I will try and get a volunteer to take a throw to the face in Mocap next year...

graywolf323

I'm trying to figure out how the Blue Jays are ranked the second overall with the latest rosters

oh well at least the Orioles are 5th

Sandman42

I pretty much always headfirst slide into first base when grounding out, and its super awesome this year because you get really dirty and sometimes your helmet gets knocked off on the slide.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

It's definitely preference. Don't let people tell you timing hitting and classic pitching are easy mode. It's all a matter of getting the settings and sliders right for the type of game you want to play.

v1lla21

For everyone who sucks at batting in RTTS....stats play a big role as well. Make sure you do all your optional training sessions that come up, and spend the points wisely. For hitting you wanna increase contact and power, but don't forget about plate vision.
I've not increased my contact and power and they are pretty low so I'll be adding points to those. Thank you :D

abrack08

I pretty much always headfirst slide into first base when grounding out, and its super awesome this year because you get really dirty and sometimes your helmet gets knocked off on the slide.

I wonder if it increases your chance to get injured... Break your guy's thumb, like Josh Hamilton

Was there any reason as to why the pre-load wasn't included for this game even after the 1.70 SONY update?
I'm wondering if I should make arrangement to cancel EA Sports UFC since I pre-ordered it digitally specifically for the possibility of pre-loading it and having to play it on mdinight.

beanman25

bought on Ps3. Just caved and bought ps4.

even if the gameplay is the same. I play it enough to justify the purchase. Plus visually, it looks GOAT

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Was there any reason as to why the pre-load wasn't included for this game even after the 1.70 SONY update?
I'm wondering if I should make arrangement to cancel EA Sports UFC since I pre-ordered it digitally specifically for the possibility of pre-loading it and having to play it on mdinight.

Presumably because the game already went gold before preloading was a feature. Or SCEA is just incompetent considering they didn't even have the game ready for download until around 12 hours after they said it would be.

Xater

The update also said that it will also only be for selected titles. If Sony doesn't announce that it has pre-load like Watch Dogs don't count on it.

Dinosur

For the Timing/Zone discussion, isn't Timing not even allowed online? That would be one reason to practice Zone.

I much prefer Timing, but like a post just above said, I get tired when I have perfect swings but popup to the catcher because the RNG decided to swing under the pitch.

I wonder if it increases your chance to get injured... Break your guy's thumb, like Josh Hamilton

I swung at a nasty slider (which was already ridiculously outside the plate) in only the seventh game of RTTS and got 60 days + 15 DL for dislocating my shoulder lol.

turnbuckle

It's definitely preference. Don't let people tell you timing hitting and classic pitching are easy mode. It's all a matter of getting the settings and sliders right for the type of game you want to play.

Timing hitting is easy mode. Sorry man, that's just the truth. Especially compared to zone on higher difficulty settings.

It's cool using it against CPU and trying to get the most realistic results if you're not good with aiming (zone swinging). I've had many 0-5, 4 strikeout days with Miguel Cabrera using zone. Rather difficult striking out that many using timing.

It's not meant to be an offense when I say this. People should play the way they prefer.

CoolNumber9

Finally got to boot it up last night and start my RTTS player, got drafted 6th in the 2nd round by the Twins. I'm a Nats fan but I just like to role play it all the way. Game plays and looks great, loving it!

Top Bottom