• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

Lakitu

st5fu
Mromson said:
Lemme restate that:
The MGS4 FPS is excellently SOLID. Any drop in the FPS is unnoticeable, and it only happens when you get really A LOT of things up on the screen.

Ummm have you played it?

Lince

Banned
Kiriku said:
Exactly, and that's the point. In some cases, I prefer an absolutely LOCKED framerate at 30 rather than 30-60.

rest assured the frame rate is fine, TTP is all over this matter and he didn't complain a bit. I guess it's locked 30 fps outdoors and locked 60 fps in certain indoors areas.

Dahbomb

Mromson said:
So this puts the MGS4 reviews at Five?

PlayStation Official Magazine (UK): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (US): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Italy): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10
LEVEL (Sweden): 10/10
That 9.6 among all those 10's is like a shard of glass in my eyes. MAKE IT GO AWAY!

okrim said:
:lol Sure. Fortunately there is gears of war or resident evil really better....

in resident evil at least, I think that was another aspect geared to add to the players horror during playthroughs

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
They held 2 playthroughs for journalists. The first was at that camp and the other was in Paris in late April/early May.

Interestingly, I don't think Gamespot got to go to either.
Why not?

Laurent

frAntic_Frog said:
lol some european mags use a 20-point scale instead of 10 or 100 points......must be a metric thing lol
Actualy, the Metric system is solely based on decimals, based on the number 10. A 20-point scale instead of 10 or 100 would just make them assholes, regardless of them using the Metric system... :lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Guled said:
why do you guys care what reviewers think, its metal gear solid, you guys know its going to be awesome.
Personally, I couldn't care less... I'm buying this game no matter what. I just want any non-believers to know how awesome MGS is.

Lakitu

st5fu
BlockBastard said:
So are we still talking about how "shitty" MGS2's story is in this thread or have we moved on to something else?

It's moved on to the French and their awkward reviewing systems. IT SHOULD BE OUT OF 10.

Personally I'm just gonna not click on MGS4 topics once its closer to release, they'll contain gameplay spoilers which is bad enough. At least this place is moderated in topic titles and not full of kids unlike some places (gamefaqs)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dutch OPM? Yay! Gonna buy it in a minute. Did they start giving away Blu-rays over here already?

Mechar

Neo Member
zoukka said:
I think their reviewist was one of the lucky who was invited to play the game a while ago. I read a really long preview in a finnish magazine and the writer was Swedish. He said in that text that there's a time limit when they can speak about anything outside the first level.
If you´re talking about Gamereactor, they got to play it in Paris. And he is writing his review based on the reviewbuild that they recieved last week.

SolidSnakex said:
They held 2 playthroughs for journalists. The first was at that camp and the other was in Paris in late April/early May.

Interestingly, I don't think Gamespot got to go to either.
3 actually. They just held one recently in Los Angeles for american journalists.

Mromson

Gizmo_Monkey said:
Personally I'm just gonna not click on MGS4 topics once its closer to release, they'll contain gameplay spoilers which is bad enough. At least this place is moderated in topic titles and not full of kids unlike some places (gamefaqs)
The MGS4 Thread come June 1st is gonna be heavily Spoiler-free. Shouldn't worry too much about it. :D

Green Shinobi said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 had the worst story of all time. What the fuck is the defense force smoking?

The primary group of antagonists comes from a consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House. Think about that. A consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House.

How can you even try to defend that?

Crack kills.

Mets39

Kiriku said:
Exactly how many people have played through the game and voiced their opinion about it, and how many of those opinions have you read through from start to finish? Also, remember that some people are more forgiving than others when it comes to framerate.
Anyway, as I said before: in some cases, I prefer a locked framerate at 30 to a 30-60 rollercoaster. Not saying an unstable framerate in MGS4 is absolutely going to ruin the game for me; it's just a statement in general.

There was around 70 journalists who played the game at Paris(TTP was one of them). Only EU journalists i think.
Some weeks after the event, most generalist gaming site publish their preview, and i didn't read a single complaint about the Frame Rate (and TTP already stated MGS is 30 Fps, but smooth 30 Fps)

Ceb

A quick summary plus some excerpts:

- Very bleak, somber game, not just by MGS standards.

- The character Snake has never felt so believable. The briefing scenes show how frail he really is.

- Controls are incredibly refined and allow for much more options during the combat sequences.

More about how free and open the gameplay is:

”When I’m about to enter a huge fortress, I can choose to sneak through the trenches, up the stairs and coordinate my crawling motions with the guards’ patrol routes. Or pick guards off from a distance with my sniper rifle. Or utilize the smoother control set to get Snake to climb up on scaffoldings, across walls and roll through hallways to quickly get ahead without getting spotted from a distance.

During the larger battles, I can accompany the guerrilla troops who are fighting the PMC armies and take out my bazooka in order to silence helis and armoured vehicles that otherwise rain down lethal machine gun fire. Or I can look around, sneak away from the battle and utilize the tiny robot Mk II to eliminate the lone soldiers who guard the route that leads past the battle. And even within these different manners of approach there are a great number of options. There are hiding places and possible routes everywhere.”

”MGS4 constantly changes character. While previous parts in the MGS series have had good pacing and a large variation, Guns of the Patriots almost feels like several separate games. The different locations that Solid Snake visits are radically different from each other, both visually and in terms of how they force you to play. There are large, open areas with it’s a challenge just finding the right way. There are also completely linear sections. Enemies vary from human soldiers who make rational decisions to the occasional but very powerful mechs and tiny little robots who throw themselves over Snake.

Some parts are all about pure action in the vein of Lost Planet or Gears of War. Other times it’s a fatal error to equip yourself with anything other than silenced pistols. There are suspenseful chase sequences and mech battles. In one moment Snake is forced to use his eyes to look for signs in the nature in order to follow a person. In the next he’s forced to listen for sounds to be able to maneuver properly. Sequences where he travels alone in claustrophobic tunnels are followed by enormous battles where troops face off against each other, helis are thundering in above the ground and APCs head in between the trees.

The game constantly showers the player with new impressions, new challenges, and the end result is never anything else than fantastic.”

- Amazing graphics and sound…

Some small nigglings:

- Some of the bosses are a bit too easy.
- The game can be a tad confusing a times. One section took more attempts than wanted.
- Some skirmishes suffer from what seems like enemies spawning in.
- Some plot twists feel a bit silly.
- Notes that these details are still minute stuff that only “stand out” in a game like this.

A lot of fantastic games have come out in the past years, but none that has seriously given me that feeling that I’ve discovered something completely new, the way Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life or Zelda: OoT did when I played them for the first time.

…

But Metal Gear Solid 4 takes me back to that stage where everything feels new. Hideo Kojima not only surpasses the ten-year old predecessor – he once again manages to conjure up emotional storms within me that I actually didn’t know existed.

It’s not about one single revolutionary aspect. It’s about that MGS4 is so beautiful, so perfect and that it dares to get so close. When the credits roll, it feels like it’s just now that I’ve understood what games are all about.”

Mets39

Ceb said:
While previous parts in the MGS series have had good pacing and a large variation, Guns of the Patriots almost feels like several separate games.

:D :D Basically 5 MGS in one!

Great Review!

Ceb said:
- The game can be a tad confusing a times. One section took more attempts than wanted.

Standard Metal Gear "issues". Though the respawning bit is interesting. Unless it's a misconception by the reviewer or it's specific to the scenario, it seems the alerts might have reverted back to the MGS2-style attack teams that were infinite in numbers.

Lakitu

st5fu
2r2q3rk.jpg

[HP]

A lot of fantastic games have come out in the past years, but none that has seriously given me that feeling that I’ve discovered something completely new, the way Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life or Zelda: OoT did when I played them for the first time.

…

But Metal Gear Solid 4 takes me back to that stage where everything feels new. Hideo Kojima not only surpasses the ten-year old predecessor – he once again manages to conjure up emotional storms within me that I actually didn’t know existed.

It’s not about one single revolutionary aspect. It’s about that MGS4 is so beautiful, so perfect and that it dares to get so close. When the credits roll, it feels like it’s just now that I’ve understood what games are all about.”

shreds a tear of joy

Ceb said:
Awesome stuff

I always knew that this game would have insane amount of variety in the levels and gameplay, but that review is making me think that it's gonna exceed my expectations.

Thanks for summarizing.

Ceb

Red Blaster said:
Standard Metal Gear "issues". Though the respawning bit is interesting. Unless it's a misconception by the reviewer or it's specific to the scenario, it seems the alerts might have reverted back to the MGS2-style attack teams that were infinite in numbers.

Since he said "some", I'm sure it's just for a few occasions like the big battlefields - if the problem is there.

Mromson

Ceb said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :( Hope it's maybe just the first, or two.
Ceb said:
Perfectly fine. Seeing how much I'll explore and fool around. In the worst case, they're always Otacon to save me!
Ceb said:
As long as they don't "spawn" in the direct sense, that's cool.
Ceb said:
"METAL GEAR?!" :lol

Yoboman

No, that's not the case at all. They come in squads but its not infinite (based on the demos). I think he's talking about specific instances like for example in MGS3 there's an area called Svyatogornyj (the area they showed in one trailer, where BB shot two guys at once through a window) where you can get on a turret and face a huge amount of respawns.

Ceb said:
The game can be a tad confusing a times. One section took more attempts than wanted.
Sounds like something perfectly remedied by codec

Hero of the web?

Yoboman said:
No, that's not the case at all. They come in squads but its not infinite (based on the demos). I think he's talking about specific instances like for example in MGS3 there's an area called Svyatogornyj (the area they showed in one trailer, where BB shot two guys at once through a window) where you can get on a turret and face a huge amount of respawns.

Sounds like something perfectly remedied by codec

Im going to assume you looked that up...:p

Doc Evils said:
Belgian gaming magazine called "Chief" gave MGS4 9.7.

Yurop loves MGS!:D

Someone at metalgearsolid.org summarized it. Haven't seen it posted in these parts, so here it is:

They don't divide the score in graphics, sound, etc. But they give some 'facts' about the game with the scores, nothing to take serious I think :p
Metal Gear Solid 4 is...
62% Hideo's perfect closure
20% picking up memories
15% saying goodbye
3% too much incomprehensible bullshit in between for the not-fans

Some stuff from the review text:

-They describe the gameplay as being perfect. It plays very refined and extremely nice.
-The combination of a wide gameplay, brilliant AI and fantastic design leads to previously unknown brilliant highlights. They consist of 'old school' situations were you go through bases and small corridors and options that get offered by the new generation (battlefields).
-The review describes the graphics as the best ones he ever saw in game. Not just about the detail in the models, but the total package of facial expressions and animations, enviroments and the number of details that every other game of this generation should be jealous about.
-MGS4 is much more then a game, more then just finishing levels. It's an experience, a closure of a legendary epos, one with about 50% of great cutscenes, very strong dialogue and not to forget: emotion. Maybe I'll create a better view of this when I say that after 3 days of playing I looked behind and I saw grown-up men really crying during the credits. Normally I would call them crazy, but this time I respected it, cause even this machoman was sad after finishing the storyline that had me in it's power for so long.
-Exacly for that reason Kojima deserves credit. The way the story is told, the way the plot takes a few last, very special turns; the way in which the trusted characters did their last trick; the way the motives finally fell into place and on top of this all: the tragic hero that finally takes care of his ultimate destiny.
-The way the gameplay is combined with the storytelling raises this game way above each other media experience. This is so much deeper then and experience through books or movies, so much deeper then other games. This is the true power of Metal Gear Solid: Guns Of The Patriots.

BeeDog

Seriously reviewers, enough with the "grown men are crying cuz of teh storie"-shit. NO ONE cries while playing video games (except if you lose hard or something).

Tom Penny

If there is as much variety as they say in the game then :D I want a game I will replay which is far and few between nowadays.

jett

D-Member
Easy bosses? Again? Seriously WTF is this shit? MGS3's bosses were cake even on Extreme, compared to the hard-ass mofos of MGS2.

I think I'll be starting MGS4 on the hardest difficulty available.

LaneDS

Has it been stated in any of these reviews approximately how long a play-through takes? It's been tradition with my friends since MGS2 to gather and play through an MGS game in a day or two, but I'm wondering if that'll be possible with MGS4.

Either way, the people will be gathered.

BeeDog

LaneDS said:
Has it been stated in any of these reviews approximately how long a play-through takes? It's been tradition with my friends since MGS2 to gather and play through an MGS game in a day or two, but I'm wondering if that'll be possible with MGS4.

Either way, the people will be gathered.

It's been said it takes around 25 hours the first go.

Tideas

Banned
BeeDog said:
Seriously reviewers, enough with the "grown men are crying cuz of teh storie"-shit. NO ONE cries while playing video games (except if you lose hard or something).

i'ts okay. I'm here. Put your head on my shoulder. There there

BeeDog

Doc Evils said:
The OPM UK reviewer said he did it in 29 hours. So probably 30+ hours for the average gamer.

Nah, you know how it is, reviewers always have a tendency to inflate the time it takes to finish a game. I believe the number I posted came from TTP, and he's more reliable than some other money-grubbing reviewer. :p

Doc Evils

BeeDog said:
Nah, you know how it is, reviewers always have a tendency to inflate the time it takes to finish a game. I believe the number I posted came from TTP, and he's more reliable than some other money-grubbing reviewer. :p

true.:lol

Top Bottom