• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Developers Share Their Picks For Best Games Of The Generation

jay

Most of these picks are boring as hell and it's a little worrying to see such a lack of diversity in what inspires these people.

All those mentions of Rock Band...

tumblr_m90cynJmt01repq8to1_500.jpg

Das-J

Law of the West
The only list which I thought was really good

4eHwf6Q.jpg

Kasavin is awesome!
Yeah, I really can't argue with that list, though I'd likely swap Modern Warfare for Braid. His was the best of the bunch, but what this list clearly demonstrates is that we as developers are much like the gaming community in that our tastes are also diverse and strongly driven by nostalgia.

Really surprised by the lack of Minecraft and Demon/Dark Souls mentions. I feel like these games have made the biggest impact in the games industry.

Also, what's up Zampella picking his own game? I think he was the only one to do so. Show some modesty!

foxtrot3d

Banned
Good lists all around although LOL at Zampella picking his own game. Another important thing to note is that developers are only going to be able to pick games that they have actually played. So if a lot of you are wondering why "obscure title X" or "recent title Y" isn't on their list is most likely because they haven't played it yet. It's kinda weird that developers of video games have so little time to sit down and actually play video games.

EDIT:
My list

1. Skyrim
2. Mass Effect 1 & 2 (ME3 doesn't exist)
3. Arkham series
4. COD 4: Modern Warfare
5. The Last of Us

whoszed

I did not expect to see those kinds of games on Super Meat Boy guy's list. SMB = famous for extremely tight controls, GTA4 = infamous for very loose controls.

Btw I'd put GTA4 on my list as well.

This would be my list:

1) Dark Souls
2) Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX
3) Trauma Team
4) Xenoblade Chronicles
5) Uncharted 2

That's just for games I feel as being console games (although the 1st two got PC ports eventually). If I was doing games that I view as being PC games, I'd include Bioshock, Civilization V, Portal 2, Desktop Dungeons, and Monaco (yes, I know, most of those games are also on consoles).

I counted 7 non western games. Such a diverse selection.

Huh?

I counted at 17 japanese games

• Super mario galaxy - series
  • catherine
  • ni no kuni
  • xenoblade chronicles
  • mh tri
  • mgs4
  • wii sports
  • super smash
  • new super mario bros
  • wii sports resort
  • lost odyssey
  • dark souls
  • twilight princess
  • beautiful katamrai
  • valkyria chronicles
  • SFIV
  • demon's souls

My god these developers are so whack!!!

My list would be as follows:

1: Demon Souls
2: Dark souls
3: Dark souls 2
4: Dark Souls 3
5: Demon Souls 4

Amirite guys!!!!!!

My truthful and "uncool" list is as follows:
1: Fallout 3
2: TLOU
3: gears of War series
4: Dark souls
5: Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

Really? People claiming their opinions are boring and similar? When most of neogaf would only say darksouls/bayonetta and some other random jrpg? So much more interesting..

Wow, more love for Crackdown than I expected. Neat.

My top 5 would involve Spelunky, Skate 2, Dead Rising, Rock Band 3, and Saints Row 2. Not necessarily in that order.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
My list would go something like this

1. Dark Souls
2. Dead Space
3. The Last of Us
4. Deus Ex; Human Revolution
5. Valkyria Chronicles

Those are some surprisingly uninteresting lists in a lot of ways. I would have expected developers to dig a little deeper. That's not a slight to games like Gears or Uncharted, but most of those lists are devoid of more idiosyncratic titles, with only a handful of notable exceptions.

I'm personally saddened but not surprised that Sin and Punishment 2 didn't sneak its way in anywhere. Imo that's the gold standard last gen for a game by gamers for gamers. Just 100% distilled awesome gameplay that doesn't let up for a second, yet you rarely see it getting real love outside of the occasional lttp GAF thread.

At least Tommy Refenes had the sense to include Geometry Wars 2. Makes sense. Also nice to see Rayman Legends get a nod from someone as accomplished as Bruce Straley, even though I would have gone with Origins.

Or maybe handheld games just aren't that good.
That's absurd, or course. The DS is drowning in great software.

Jucksalbe

Banned
When most of neogaf would only say darksouls/bayonetta and some other random jrpg? So much more interesting..

Don't mistake those shouting the loudest with the majority, even on GAF.

I assume they didn't count handhelds as part of the generation (or were only asked to list PS3/360/Wii games). Only explanation since there were plenty of awesome DS & PSP games.

Hmm, well, the tags below the article only mention PS3, 360 and Wii. Surely, they'll do a separate piece about handhelds then. ;)

Or maybe handheld games just aren't that good.

With 35 people asked, there should be at least a few that would mention a handheld title among their top 5.

Squire

Banned
Ted Price (Best known for: Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Sunset Overdrive)
Insomniac Games President

1) Skyrim
2) Uncharted 3
3) Journey
4) LittleBigPlanet
5) Limbo

Ted, say it ain't so.

I actually like Greg's list the best, despite it not matching my own top 5.

MormaPope

Banned
Really? People claiming their opinions are boring and similar? When most of neogaf would only say darksouls/bayonetta and some other random jrpg? So much more interesting..

Oh look, you didn't even read through the thread, as most lists aren't like that. Guess you like shitting on this forum for no reason.

OG Loc

Not really sure what is up with all the anger..

How dare some game designer have a different opinion. That's why their games are ass. Scoff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah Randy is pure as driven snow. Once he had finished Ni No Kuni he said to himself "man what a beautiful experience" and went onto finish Aliens: Colonial Marines.

yeah, exactly. Gearbox is scum.

hey Randy, you pay Sega back all the money you stole from them?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Love reading these type of lists. Always fun and insightful. A lot of my favorite games got represented too.

I was really hoping they'd survey a few Japanese developers though. I have no idea what they'd be into right now.

Speevy

Banned
The big problem with any of these guys naming indie games is that it freely admits how far AAA games have fallen in terms of design and innovation.

Top Bottom