• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Developers Share Their Picks For Best Games Of The Generation

Kudos to the Arkane Studios guys for having great taste. New Vegas for GOTG.

Runners up would include Arkham City, XCOM and everything and anything Valve.

Since everyone else is doing it, here's my current top 5 in no order and subject to constant change.

Deadly Premonition
Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(wanted to put New Vegas but Oblivion will always hold a special place since it was my first ES game)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ted Price (Best known for: Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Sunset Overdrive)
Insomniac Games President

1) Skyrim
2) Uncharted 3
3) Journey
4) LittleBigPlanet
5) Limbo

Sounds like Ted's still a little salty after that Miyamoto comment on Ratchet and Clank...

Many of those developers picking Fallout 3 over New Vegas is baffling. Obsidian gets no love at all.

But hey, looks like Raphael Colantonio and Harvey Smith know what's up.

Sounds like Ted's still a little salty after that Miyamoto comment on Ratchet and Clank...

I'm curious. What did he say?

Edit: Google answered that for me. That's rather presumptuous of this Ted guy. Wasn't there a Sonic Tech demo way back in the late 90s that demonstrated spherical gravity?

SerRodrik

YlGyCGm.jpg

I approve.

Ni No Kuni in Randy list was nice too.
New Vegas #1 on both their lists? Good taste confirmed. Arkane continues to be great.

I didn't see many games I don't like. LBP love makes me :)

Always love lists:

Fallout 3
Castle Crashers
Demon's Souls
LittleBigPlanet
Tokyo Jungle

1.) Demons Souls
2.) The Last of Us
3.) Journey
4.) Geometry Wars
5.) Mario Galaxy 2

Always fun to see the lists from developers. Used to love my magazines which would get a devs " now playing " list each month along with the teams current now playimg.

My standout, favorite games of the generation:

1: Dragon's Dogma
2: Red Dead Redemption
3: Mirror's Edge
4: Mass Effect Trilogy
5: Vanquish

Honorable Mentions:

Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion
Wii Sports
Super Mario Galaxy

I'm not a developer, but I love gaming ^_^

Crazy that after playing just 2 Uncharted games I never want to play one again, while they feature prominently in a lot of these lists...Also why would so many developers mention Uncharted and not the Last of Us? If they already like Naughty Dogs games so much, I'd expect them to be extra impressed with tLoU considering all it achieved...

I don't like the majority of games western developers make. And now I see that I don't like the majority of games western developers think are the best...That actually makes perfect logical sense.

Panzon

In no particular order:

COD 4: MW
Batman Arkham series
Uncharted 2
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario Galaxy series

Wish I could squeeze in Gears of War and Street Fighter 4 but I wouldn't rank them above the ones listed

Love how Zampella had no shame in picking his own game haha. I like how every other developer followed the unspoken rule of "don't pick a game you worked on" but sometimes you gotta be able to admit when you made something awesome (especially when it was as genre defining as COD4). Keep being awesome, Vince.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Minecraft
Journey
Mass Effect
BioShock
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

That would be my top 5. Games that didn't make the cut: Team Fortress 2, Red Dead Redemption, Demon's Souls, Grand Theft Auto V, Dragon Age: Origins, Civilization V and Portal.

This generation had some awesome games.

Greg Kasavin only good list imo.

Mine:
Dark Souls
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect
Dead Space
Arkham Asylum

If i could include PC games, then DOTA 2 would def. be #1.

I'm pleasantly surprised that no one mentioned Angry Birds, Farmville, or Candy Crush.

Considering game-makers have little time playing games due to making them. I would suspect that they usually spend more time with cellphone or handheld games while commuting. So It's strange to see no representation on the portable space.

This might also explain why newer releases like The Last of Us and technical/time consuming games like Dark Souls or MMOs get less mention.

Hypron

So not even a single one of those guys is an action games fan? I saw one nomination for God Of War 3 and that's it.

Really interesting to see what developers are into.
This gen had a ton of great games.
I was expecting to see more Souls. Journey got a ton of mentions, Uncharted seems to be in at least half the lists, interesting that a couple of people went with the first game.

Edit: some people being incapable of respecting other people's opinions is quite jarring.

The wait is over, here's my list:

Civilization V
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Skyrim
Just Cause 2

Really happy to see Far Cry 2 get a nod. Wandering through the wilderness as the sun sets, seeing a storm roll in and the grass and trees begin to thrash about in the wind, that's what that game is to me. There are some truly beautiful experiences to be had in that game.

spliced

Wow serious lack of Dark Souls and to a lesser extent Galaxy 2(some people had it).

No wonder I don't like most of these people's games when they can't even identify great games. Ugh.

Akiller

Now i'd like to see a list like that done by Japanese devs.

"What are your top 5 games of the last generation,Kamiya-san?"
"No idea"

jimboton

It seems that the 'indier' the dev the less shitty the taste. Mostly big name CEOs and directors there though and their choices sadly reflect their own outputs which I guess is unsurprising.

sublimit

Banned
The words made a complete sentence and worked together to form a thought, but not one that makes any damn sense.

How did it change multiplayer forever?

You mean other than people invading your single player game,seeing the ghosts of other players playing their game appearing in your single player game (in realtime) ,watching the deaths of other players through bloodstains and reading the messages left by other players appearing in your SP game?

Honestly i'm surprised you even had to ask unless of course you haven't played the game and knew nothing about it.

GladiatoR

Banned
You hear that guys? You HAVE to like Japanese games otherwise you're not a true gamer.

It's not like people have different tastes and opinions.
The circle jerking for Japanese games on this site is ridiculous.

Jazzem

A lot of AAA in there but some good lists nonetheless, surprised that Wii Sports got a few mentions; maybe that was from the perspective of those with families.

Came up with one myself:

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Street Fighter IV
3) The Walking Dead Season 1
4) Rhythm Heaven Fever
5) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It's tough to narrow down just five though, can't believe I couldn't get Portal 2 in there! And this is assuming that handheld games aren't counted, otherwise the DS would dominate.

1. Team Fortress 2 PC - Best example of iterative development
2. Spelunky - Best roguelike influenced game
3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Best modern tactic/strategyl game
4. Portal 2 - Best puzzle focused game with the best coop
5. Fallout: New Vegas - best open world game.

Would really want to put GTAV (best sandbox action game) Little Big Planet 2 (best 4 player game, with great content creation/sharing and unique artstyle) and The Witcher 2 (best example of a nonlinear linear game :) ) on the list.

Lmao at Vince choosing CoD 4 (excellent choice). No fucks were given.

Damn, the executive producer's surname at 343i is Wolfkill. Badass.

Shocking to see GTA4 get more love than GTA5......

bwakh

Great lists all round. Love the love for the Uncharted games. No doubt the best series last generation, in my humble opinion ofcourse.

Shaneus

My standout, favorite games of the generation:

1: Dragon's Dogma
2: Red Dead Redemption
3: Mirror's Edge
4: Mass Effect Trilogy
5: Vanquish

Honorable Mentions:

Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion
Wii Sports
Super Mario Galaxy

I'm not a developer, but I love gaming ^_^
Vanquish is so fucking boss. Shame it gets overlooked so frequently :/

DevilFox

Kasavin wins with Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, even my awesome action figure of Selvaria is smiling. Good guy.
As the others, some great tastes. That Wii Sports Resort in 1st position from Wells leave me a little surprised. I can see people liking the game, but 1st? Wow.

Top Bottom