• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Developers Share Their Picks For Best Games Of The Generation

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My own list:

1. Fallout 3
2. Skyrim
3. Modern Warfare 2
4. Gears of War 3
5. The Last of Us

Also folks, the reason I think people don't like Dark Souls that much is because it's just too hard.

Nymphae

Banned
Also folks, the reason I think people don't like Dark Souls that much is because it's just too hard.

Not surprising to me that a lot of devs don't put these games in their best of gen lists. Hard or not, I don't see what those games do that is so incredible. I've played demons souls, and like 10 hours of dark souls. Its grinding. Lots of grinding, and a (IMO) boring/confusing plotline.

Some people (most people, I would guess) don't enjoy playing games that require full 100% attention at all times with almost no room for error, and that seem to be out to waste your precious free time.

Karak

My own list:

1. Fallout 3
2. Skyrim
3. Modern Warfare 2
4. Gears of War 3
5. The Last of Us

I didn't find Dark Souls too hard and I frankly didn't enjoy it much at all. Sometimes people just don't like the same stuff.

gogosox82

Sad to see a lack demons/dark souls on this list. Only saw it mentioned twice. Most of the games listed are kind of shocking. Saw a few Wii Sports mentions. Like really? Maybe an explanation would've better than just naming the lists. Greg Kasavin's list was by far the best imo.

These are some good lists with a couple question marks. Zampella picking his own damn game hahaha though CoD 4 would have to be on the list somewhere especially from a design perspective. Overall great picks from everyone.

lt519

Not to bad, disappointed Super Mario Galaxy didn't hit more lists as that was my game of the generation. Lack of Mass Effect 2...Also shocked at the lack of handheld games, there were some fantastic games, but I guess they are tough to compare to consoles.

Liked a couple of the Rock Band picks, before the fad died out I logged hundreds of hours playing the music games in college.

My top 5 console:
1. Super Mario Galaxy (pick either one)
2. Fallout 3
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Wii Sports (and Resort)
5. Ni No Kuni

Top 5 Handhelds (didn't own a PSP):
1. Tetris DS
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Picross 3D
4. The World Ends With You
5. Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Freeman

Banned
The lack of Souls series mentions is just sad, specially if you compare it to how many times Skyrim is mentioned. I just replayed Dark Souls recently and its just amazing how much they do right.

My list:

Dark Souls
Portal
TLoU (sorry Nathan)
Journey
Braid

It's really hard to make this sort of list, it feels so bad having to leave some games out.

lt519

It's really hard to make this sort of list, it feels so bad having to leave some games out.

Yeah leaving Portal 1 & 2 out of mine felt like I was disgracing the gaming gods. I tried to think about how much staying power the games had with me as well. Because there were many many amazing games, each in their own way, I had to factor in replay (hence no Uncharted).

Acosta

YlGyCGm.jpg

I approve.

Ni No Kuni in Randy list was nice too.

My top 5
TLOU
U2
RDR
Dark Souls
This is a tough one... Skyrim or Portal 2. Or Heavy Rain..... Or GoW 3 (one with Kratos)...... Or GTA V. crap. squeezing in a list of 5 best games that stretches the entire gen is almost impossible.

Ted Price having U3 as his best Uncharted is surprising. So was U2 being mentioned more than TLOU.

Of course the Call of Duty guy would pick his own game. I would have assumed there would be a "don't select your own game" rule, but then that sort of rule shouldn't need written in the first place.

Sad to see a lack demons/dark souls on this list. Only saw it mentioned twice. Most of the games listed are kind of shocking. Saw a few Wii Sports mentions. Like really? Maybe an explanation would've better than just naming the lists. Greg Kasavin's list was by far the best imo.

They are devs...Maybe they found Wii Sports revolutionary and/or very memorable title on consoles. What do I know. What I do know is that not everyone likes Dark Souls.

Man, I'm not one to judge others taste, but man, Glen Schofield putting AC3 and Halo 4 on his list just seems dirty or gross. Makes me have less faith in Sledgehammer, even if only the tiniest bit.

Wii Sports is a no-brainer. It ushered in motion controls and was huge for expanding the casual gamer market.

As a game itself it doesn't compare to AAA titles but in terms of cultural impact it's probably the game of the generation.

Interesting to see, I agree with a lot of them:

Dishonored
Arkham City
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock: Infinite
Modern Warfare 2

are the ones that come to mind when I think of last gen.

I'm totally not surprised some people on GAF look down on them for not choosing Japanese stuff/games they don't like.

My most sincere acclaim to Harvey Smith for recognizing what Far Cry 2 was doing, for a developer point of view that most be a really inspiring game in a positive way.

These.... are boring lists(not all but most).

At least some mentioned Mario Galaxy.

and that one guy that listed Xenoblade Chronicles as his #1, awesome.

DedValve

Banned
Randy Pitchford with Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch at number 2 on the list.

This guy is my new favorite developer. People who love that game have the purest of souls.

The irony in this post is strong.

Hell yeah at the mario galaxy love.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice to see Wii Sports Resort getting some love!

Anyways, here is mine:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Demon's Souls
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4. Dark Souls
5. Mega Man 9

I'm not surprised that the Souls games got very little mention. I think some people in this thread need to realize that the Souls games are not as popular as they thought.

That said, Dark Souls is in my personal top 5.

nib95

Banned
Uncharted 2 actually hit a few dev's No.1. Seemed to be a fair few more picks for Uncharted than for Last of Us as well which is interesting.

Sotha_Sil

Damn, I did not expect to see LittleBigPlanet get so much acclaim. My personal list:

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Dark Souls
3. Bioshock
4. Dishonored
5. Mass Effect

Lots of runner-ups: LIMBO, Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Arkham Asylum, Portal, Halo 3, Left4Dead, and Fallout 3. I recently played Dishonored, so there might be a little bias there, but it's a great game.

nib95

Banned
Games that were picked for No.1, in order of the number of votes for that position.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (4 votes)
Journey (3 votes)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2 votes)
Grand Theft Auto V (2 votes)
Bioshock (2 votes)
Fallout: Vegas (2 votes)
Read Dead Redemption (2 votes)
Limbo (2 votes)
Minecraft
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed 2
Call of Duty Modern: Warfare 2
Call of Duty Modern: Warfare
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Xenoblade
Castle Crashers
Orange Box
Portal
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spelunky
Rock Band
Wii Sports Resort
Arkham City

Oersted

Dean Evans
Ubisoft Creative Director

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Fallout 3
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
4. Alan Wake
5. Deadly Creatures

This is an unexpected and interesting choice. It was a fantastic game, I'm just surprised it's on anyone's top of the generation list.

Yep.

Montresor

Very interesting article. My personal top 5 would probably change from week to week, as so many of my favourites are compatible in terms of quality in my eyes. If i had to choose now id say:

Max Payne 3
Alan Wake
Mass Effect 2
Ms. Splosion Man
Shadows of the Damned

Pikma

Banned
Lol at Zampella's decision, wonder why he didn't replace Trials with Gears of War just to complete the Dudebro's full circle.

Deserved, Resort is a revolutionary game in terms of controls.

Yeah Wii Sports Resort is really good and very innovative (It's influence is all over Skyward Sword; I hope EAD3 thanked the Wii Sports devs lol)
All it needed was online play of some sort, but hey it was 7th gen friend code era Nintendo; what are you gonna do?
Too bad their whole WiiU/tablet strategy has kind of killed the chances for a Wii Sport 3.
:/
Maybe we can get some sort of remastered version of WSR with online play. and stamps; I'd buy that in a second.

The lack of Left 4 Dead 1/2 is disappointing. It's my GOAT coop game, and I generally dislike shooters. And by "it" I mean L4D as a single entity because, let's not kid ourselves, L4D2 is basically full-priced expansion pack. Still good though.

I thought everything about Skyrim was dreadfully shallow and that the only it had going for it was the open world, so I suppose I can't be surprised by how popular it is.

megalowho

Some nice under the radar picks in there. Viva Pinata, Street Fighter IV, Valkyria Chronicles, Darksiders, Ni No Kuni, Xenoblade, Deadly Creatures. Greg Kasavin has good taste and Swery65's choices are incredibly Swery. Would like to have read a bit on why for each but just seeing all those lists together is a pretty good starting point for the discussion.

saichi

someone put Deadly Creatures in Top 5... I don't even think GAF know what platform this game is in. ;)

EDIT:

This dude knows what's up. I always imagined when I was a child that there would one day be a game in which I played as a spider.

or a scorpion!

Top Bottom