• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Thread: Moon wizards make Pet Sounds with space magic in a bottle

What is your favorite class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AkIRA_22

Whoa, whoa, wait... My progress transfers between PS4 and PS3?!
I've been playing the Beta on PS4, and I just tried the PS3 version for shits and giggles, and my characters are there.
Has this been mentioned yet?

Edit: Also, the PS3 version has got to be the most sub-HD game I've ever seen...

keanu2.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did the first mission and I loved it. Oh my gawd. I have to shut it off. I don't think I want to spoil this newness for myself.

Woorloog

Banned
Edit: Also, the PS3 version has got to be the most sub-HD game I've ever seen...

I noted about the resolution that it is just about as blurry as i see things without my glasses.
I wonder if the 360 version is any better, resolution-wise... guess we'll see in half a week or so.

jhawk6

Grimløck;121680892 said:
this has probably been asked and answered, but does anything from the beta carry over to the final version?

For now and the most likely the only thing will be the emblem you get for participating in the iron banner event on the 26th

Fracas

#fuckonami
Are the tons of invisible walls and "turn back now" zones just part of the beta to keep it sort of closed off or is this just how the game is?

Woorloog

Banned
Are the tons of invisible walls and "turn back now" zones just part of the beta to keep it sort of closed off or is this just how the game is?

If we're talking about the walls and zones in the canyons, they're just how the game is i think. Can't let the player escape the playable world, you know?
Areas not "available" in the beta are simply too high level (The Grotto, the enemies one-shot you), or simply not available (Moon apparently).

I don't know, I hope not. It'd make sense that they'd close off areas like that in the beta.

They clearly stated at least twice that any land you see, you can go to. Except the tall mountains in the background. Honestly it seems unlikely but at the same time I'd be kind of irked if that wasn't true.

Curious to see how the Iron Banner thing will play out. Whether it's a limited time event in the main game or if it will always be available. Also curious to see if it's just one mode or if it's the same playlists that will be available in the Crucible.

Little bit worried that it might just up and cut the player base in half. Love the idea of going into competitive multiplayer with your weapons and armor untouched but my initial impression tells me it would be better as a couple playlists within the Crucible as opposed to a completely new mode.

Of course I could be completely wrong since so little is known about it. Splitting up the player base is just one of those things I get nervous about when it comes to games with competitive multiplayer.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If we're talking about the walls and zones in the canyons, they're just how the game is i think. Can't let the player escape the playable world, you know?
Areas not available in the beta are simply too highly (The Grotto, the enemies one-shot you), or simply not available (Moon apparently).

It feels so oppressive. I want to explore the world ;__;

Woorloog

Banned
It feels so oppressive. I want to explore the world ;__;

The irony is that wanting to explore is actually better than exploring (often anyway).

We did the Tip of the Spear vacation glitch in Reach with my friend. The idea was darn exciting... but when we had walked 12 kilometers (measured by objective distance counter) toward the maps' edge, it was pretty boring.
Same with other vacations, it is very nice to want to explore and imagine how things might be but the reality is always boring.

I have to admit It is shitty there are invisible walls and death zones in areas that are easy to reach, it would have been better to cover them so that you simply can't get to places that have to have invisible walls and death zones. Those things are oppressive, as you say. They make the world feel smaller than it is.

Aww man!! I was just completing my first run through the devils lair and right when we were about to kill sepsis prime I got an error!

Removed from game world it said. :(

That sucks...

JB1981

I did the first mission and I loved it. Oh my gawd. I have to shut it off. I don't think I want to spoil this newness for myself.

It's beautiful but I have to say I prefered how the alpha just dropped you in with no tutorial and let you fend for yourself

Murometz

Neo Member
Hey all, this one's for the lore junkies.
There's a lot more storytelling going on compared to the alpha release, so I thought I'd translate Rasputin's lines for the curious among you.
Rasputin, of course, is the Warmind A.I. you interact with during the story missions, and the lines can be heard when Ghost hacks the two antennas at the Shipyard. They are as follows:

"Safety protocol 8-6-3. Hostile entities discovered."
"There's no one to blame, it is not their fault or ours. It is the misfortune of being born when the whole world is dying."
"There is no immortality of soul, thus there is no greater good. Therefore everything is permitted."
"Count up this, define the probability of that."
"They are but meat pressed in the mouth of the shell."
"If, as they say, the coming events cast their shadows ahead of time, then the past events cannot but leave their reflections behind them."
"The whole natural order stands as evidence of a progressive movement toward an elevated state of being."

There you have it. Some of the stuff is rather heady, indicating that the poor old thing has grown rampant. Please share your insights or any cool new lore you've gleaned from the beta.

There was also a demo of old russia where they stopped and went backwards to show you the vast vistas and they emphasized that we could travel all of that. Can anyon efind that video for me? I want to see if the expanse they said we could explore is an explorable area in the beta.

The irony is that wanting to explore is actually better than exploring (often anyway).

We did the Tip of the Spear vacation glitch in Reach with my friend. The idea was darn exciting... but when we had walked 12 kilometers (measured by objective distance counter) toward the maps' edge, it was pretty boring.
Same with other vacations, it is very nice to want to explore and imagine how things might be but the reality is always boring.

I have to admit It is shitty there are invisible walls and death zones in areas that are easy to reach, it would have been better to cover them so that you simply can't get to places that have to have invisible walls and death zones. Those things are oppressive, as you say. They make the world feel smaller than it is.

How ya gonna compare a glitch that lets you run across geometry unintended to ever be reached to an explorable area that was handcrafted to feel genuine, mysterious, and evoke a sense of discovery?

and I like exploring in rl too so what you talkin bout ;)

Ramirez

How does one upload a share factory video to YouTube?

Pretty funny how you act like you are not good when you are clearly quite good at the game (and have played a ton of halo) :p

I downloaded it to my PC from the FB upload. I picked download HD, but for some reason when I uploaded it to YT, it only goes to 360p or whatever. Hesitant to post my FB, lol.

I know I'm good at the game, the be nice was more for the SF quality, I'm no montage maker, lol.

do the explore missions have a minimum level? I did a couple of them in old russia and they were definitely in parts that I was too low level in. Plus how does the battlefield scouted explore mission work. Couldn't really get to the place they wanted me to go

Woorloog

Banned
How ya gonna compare a glitch that lets you run across geometry unintended to ever be reached to an explorable area that was handcrafted to feel genuine, mysterious, and evoke a sense of discovery?

and I like exploring in rl too so what you talkin bout ;)

Any area that is blocked (by death zones or invisible walls) in the game will be very likely unfinished and possible untraversable should one get there somehow.
So it ain't going to be very fun.
I doubt those blocked areas will be playable areas in the final game.
The areas guarded by high level enemies are another matter of course (and you can do some high-speed exploration with the speeder bike though the enemies are inhumanly accurate against those...)

Also, not talking about IRL exploration. Obviously. Wasn't even comparing game exploration to that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just had me and 6 other players in the hub kicking around some floating ball, running around chasing it like jackasses. Now we're all dancing.

Definitely. There are even more areas hidden within the Beta, they just aren't accessible due to high level enemies.

I came upon some
high level enemies down below in some of the corridors. My guns were of no use, kept saying they were invincible (or something like that). Do I need a plasma rifle to make them dead?

Woorloog

Banned
I came upon some
high level enemies down below in some of the corridors. My guns were of no use, kept saying they were invincible (or something like that). Do I need a plasma rifle to make them dead?

?? rated enemies are invulnerable against anything you can throw at them (tried rockets and Nova Bombs, the most high damage attacks i had at level 8, neither worked).
?? seemed to be at least 5 levels higher, possibly 4+.

Akihidas

Grimløck;121683256 said:
oh man the iron banner is a crucible event? god i suck at PvP.

That's my thought too :( played 10 hours so far and haven't even touched pvp haha. I'll probably get ripped to pieces

Oozer3993

Ugh. I don't want to play Competitive Multiplayer. I didn't play a match of it in the Alpha and I haven't played any in the Beta (I haven't even accepted the invite from Shaxx). But if there's loot tied to the Iron Banner, then my loot based compulsion might kick in and force me to.

Hey all, this one's for the lore junkies.
There's a lot more storytelling going on compared to the alpha release, so I thought I'd translate Rasputin's lines for the curious among you.
Rasputin, of course, is the Warmind A.I. you interact with during the story missions, and the lines can be heard when Ghost hacks the two antennas at the Shipyard. They are as follows:

"Safety protocol 8-6-3. Hostile entities discovered."
"There's no one to blame, it is not their fault or ours. It is the misfortune of being born when the whole world is dying."
"There is no immortality of soul, thus there is no greater good. Therefore everything is permitted."
"Count up this, define the probability of that."
"They are but meat pressed in the mouth of the shell."
"If, as they say, the coming events cast their shadows ahead of time, then the past events cannot but leave their reflections behind them."
"The whole natural order stands as evidence of a progressive movement toward an elevated state of being."

There you have it. Some of the stuff is rather heady, indicating that the poor old thing has grown rampant. Please share your insights or any cool new lore you've gleaned from the beta.

Thank you so much! I knew Bungie hid some stuff in his dialogue and was itching to know what it was.

Any area that is blocked (by death zones or invisible walls) in the game will be very likely unfinished and possible untraversable should one get there somehow.
So it ain't going to be very fun.
I doubt those blocked areas will be playable areas in the final game.
The areas guarded by high level enemies are another matter of course (and you can do some high-speed exploration with the speeder bike though the enemies are inhumanly accurate against those...)

Also, not talking about IRL exploration. Obviously. Wasn't even comparing game exploration to that.

"Same with other vacations, it is very nice to want to explore and imagine how things might be but the reality is always boring."

What? You brought it up, so I responded to it. Also the bolded indicates you were making some type of comparison.

Yeah I'm not familiar with the exact areas you guys were referring to... I;m just going off of Bungie saying "anywhere you see, you can explore except the tall mountains in the background" So I assume any area that's blocked off in such a way would be explorable in the full game if they hold up to their word. And if it does end up actually being explorable, then it would be fun to explore because they wouldn't just let us go to a blank area with no content.

I would absolutely love an RPG FPS like Borderlands or Destiny but without the insane leveling garbage. None of this "I can't kill you because you're too high a level, even though I'm shooting you a thousand times. But when I level up and shoot you with the the same stuff it all of a sudden kills you." And none of this "Hey want to play together through some missions? Oh nevermind, you're not a high enough level so everything will one shot you."

I have absolutely no clue why these stupid leveling systems still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom