• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Thread: Moon wizards make Pet Sounds with space magic in a bottle

What is your favorite class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karak

Well. I think I am done. They just have to simply fix the broken AI. That has to be the most idiotic AI I have seen in years. We boxed them all night last night and they didn't have any defense. Totally stopped anyone from any danger at all or even coming close to dying. I hope they crank it up. But its a beta for a reason so they have tons of time. Done for now though.

Thoughts:

GFX are good. Not mind shattering but good competent so far.
Terrible loading and overall very clumsy travel system.
UI and button prompts and holding buttons and so forth is fairly cumbersome and amateurish at times.
Sound is much improved from the alpha but also seems compressed at times. I saw others noticing this. Just not sure. Seemed off at times but also improved in other spots.
Gameplay is very pedestrian so far.
Loot is fairly poor but from what I hear gets way better later. Odd choice to not capture someones desire right away but its their decision.
Voice is improved with the effects and inflection being used but still odd.

Will be interesting to see not only the initial sales but the tale end on this one.
With all the invisible walls gone and so forth it may really open up.

?? rated enemies are invulnerable against anything you can throw at them (tried rockets and Nova Bombs, the most high damage attacks i had at level 8, neither worked).
?? seemed to be at least 5 levels higher, possibly 4+.

Thanks for the info.

Oh, and you av gives me nightmares. Thanks again though.

Woorloog

Banned
"Same with other vacations, it is very nice to want to explore and imagine how things might be but the reality is always boring."

What? You brought it up, so I responded to it. Also the bolded indicates you were making some type of comparison.

Yeah I'm not familiar with the exact areas you guys were referring to... I;m just going off of Bungie saying "anywhere you see, you can explore except the tall mountains in the background" So I assume any area that's blocked off in such a way would be explorable in the full game if they hold up to their word. And if it does end up actually being explorable, then it would be fun to explore because they wouldn't just let us go to a blank area with no content.

"Vacation" refers to out of map glitches in this context. Might be a Halo specific glitch term though.

There's this canyon, going to the Forgotten Shore (or perhaps the one going to the Grottos) where you can go up this slope that isn't too steep, but going up triggers a soft death zone (10 second timer). The only place where one could get through it seems to be the rocks partially covering the canyon, and pretty sure those are covered by invisible walls (at least in some places you can't get on top of them due to invisible walls).

I suspect it is made that way due to aesthetic considerations (different from the surroundings) but Bungie didn't want to block it with invisible wall so they opted for a soft kill zone.
Pretty sure there were some other similar places, most likely they won't be opened for the final game as they don't really lead anywhere.

Finster

?? rated enemies are invulnerable against anything you can throw at them (tried rockets and Nova Bombs, the most high damage attacks i had at level 8, neither worked).
?? seemed to be at least 5 levels higher, possibly 4+.

More than that. I encountered some level 13 mobs and they were clearly numbered 13.

I'm thinking the ?? mobs are 20 or higher.

Relativ9

Great beta, but is anyone else worried about the lack of personalized storytelling? Seems like chosing different races counts for next to nothing ect. Also, I'd sure like it if they put more emphasis on NPC conversations, having all these great voice actors kind of seems like a waste when encounters isn't treated with proper cut-scenes.

So I'm really enjoying this so far. The only thing keeping this from day one status is my uncertainty regarding the length of the game.

Is Old Russia the only zone on earth? Do we have an estimate for how long it will take to complete the story?

olimpia84

So when I signed up for the beta I got 3 codes from the bungie website. I obviously used one of them; can I give the other(s) code to a friend of mine that hasn't preordered the game?

GolazoDan

Oh my word, I like this game a lot. Never really got into Halo but I think I'm gonna play a lot of this. Warlocks for life, yo. Trenchcoats and magic.

I've even been playing a lot of PVP. I was having weird issues earlier where I'd get booted from the game for no apparent reason (i.e. nobody was kicking me) but otherwise, great stuff. I go through an awkward stage with online shooters where I'm very self-conscious for a while and think I'm letting my team down. I'm past that stage with Destiny now. I intended to play about three matches today and I've played twenty.

That moon map is super awesome btw.

Woorloog

Banned
More than that. I encountered some level 13 mobs and they were clearly numbered 13.

I'm thinking the ?? mobs are 20 or higher.

I saw enemies that were ?? when i was level 5-6 (and i couldn't damage them) or so but at 7 or 8 they showed 11.

If you die against ??, the game does show the killer's level along with killers name/type, and the enemies in the Grottos are 20 at least.

"Vacation" refers to out of map glitches in this context. Might be a Halo specific glitch term though.

Oh LOL

There's this canyon, going to the Forgotten Shore (or perhaps the one going to the Grottos) where you can go up this slope that isn't too steep, but going up triggers a soft death zone (10 second timer). The only place where one could get through it seems to be the rocks partially covering the canyon, and pretty sure those are covered by invisible walls (at least in some places you can't get on top of them due to invisible walls).

I suspect it is made that way due to aesthetic considerations (different from the surroundings) but Bungie didn't want to block it with invisible wall so they opted for a soft kill zone.
Pretty sure there were some other similar places, most likely they won't be opened for the final game as they don't really lead anywhere.

Well if not then Bungie.... *gasp*
lied

inb4companieslieallthetime

kle89

Neo Member
Great beta, but is anyone else worried about the lack of personalized storytelling? Seems like chosing different races counts for next to nothing ect. Also, I'd sure like it if they put more emphasis on NPC conversations, having all these great voice actors kind of seems like a waste when encounters isn't treated with proper cut-scenes.

I worry about this too. I think the missions in the beta are a sliver of the full missions in the final game, like each one ends with the ghost teasing some lore element but not following up with it in the subsequent quest.

Woorloog

Banned
Well if not then Bungie.... *gasp*
lied

inb4companieslieallthetime

I started exploring right away, once i got into open world. Can't say i like the amount of areas that are blocked.
There's a lot of roofs and other places where a double jumo (well, glide jump as i play a Warlock) would easily reach them but you get pushed out or deflected when getting too close.
Very annoying.
Oh and some pipes and other objects lack collision so you can't climb on top of them either.

Orca

UI and button prompts and holding buttons and so forth is fairly cumbersome and amateurish at times.

I keep wondering why I have to hold the button to talk to merchants...or why clicking X to go through every menu stops when you want to upgrade, which means hitting triangle to select the weapon instead.

Woorloog

Banned
This is the video I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c#t=128

Can someone figure out if that area they showed off is accessible in the beta?

With a new character, you can explore that area partially (not sure exactly how much, didn't really walk around that much). Once you go inside and Ghost opens the gate for you, it closes behind you and you can't get back.
I noted that a page or two back.

EDIT you most certainly can't get where the guy points his weapon when he says "Older Russia". EDIT at least in the beta now that i think of this. Perhaps there's more Earth zones in the retail product that included expanded Old Russia area?

After 5ish hours my biggest disappointment so far is the loot. I guess I was expecting more of a Borderlands type of loot system. Hopefully the items get more varied and interesting later on in the game.

I have to say this chroma vox jacket looks a lot like a pimp ass Hefner smoking jacket.

jxVKQNR.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
How do I summon my bike? I did it once but now it says cannot summon in this location.

You need enough space around you to summon it, and you can't summon it in some areas at all, i think.

What is melee energy?

Got this helm that says Grenade hits restore melee energy ...... Huh?

Melee cooldown. Normal melee CD is like 1.5 seconds, or close enough. EDIT at least Warlock's melee wasn't very fast at first. EDIT wait, it is about the melee ability, not melee itself?

I think it's been replaced with water (the place he throws a grenade)

With a new character, you can explore that area partially (not sure exactly how much, didn't really walk around that much). Once you go inside and Ghost opens the gate for you, it closes behind you and you can't get back.
I noted that a page or two back.

EDIT you most certainly can't get where the guy points his weapon when he says "Older Russia".

Hmm well I hope they're accessible in the full game but I kinda doubt it now.

Oh, and for the soft death zone areas, have you ever thought that maybe it'd be too hard for even ??? level enemies to stop you from going into such an open area? I haven't come across the area myself so i'm not quite sure how it looks.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, and for the soft death zone areas, have you ever thought that maybe it'd be too hard for even ??? level enemies to stop you from going into such an open area? I haven't come across the area myself so i'm not quite sure how it looks.

I got few hundred meters inside the Grottoes (or whatever it was called) with the speeder bike and a lot of tries. No death zone there. The only death zones i've encountered are in places like i described, lone not too steep slopes that lead nowhere really, and jumping long way off the shore (gotta try floating so long i die from the soft kill zone, not from touching water...)

I have some downgraded feelings on Day 2.
I finished all the single player content. It's great. Just wish it didnt all revolve around that tower. The area seems so small.

The real reason for the downgrade. Some of the most uninteresting multiplayer I have ever played. Which surprises me. I SUCK at Halo but loved playing it. It had a personality unlike any other MP shooter. The Destiny MP (Control mode is all I have played) seems like a B team effort.

Finster

I have some downgraded feelings on Day 2.
I finished all the single player content. It's great. Just wish it didnt all revolve around that tower. The area seems so small.

The real reason for the downgrade. Some of the most uninteresting multiplayer I have ever played. Which surprises me. I SUCK at Halo but loved playing it. It had a personality unlike any other MP shooter. The Destiny MP (Control mode is all I have played) seems like a B team effort.

To properly judge your opinions, I need to know what you thought of Halo 4 MP.

uhh it's absolutely nothing like warframe
Really? Cause other then the combat being a bit different, the concept is almost identical. You pick worlds in the galaxy with friends to run through and get xp and rewards. You buy armour and weapons. There is even a slight resemblence in the helmets. There is a lot in common between those games.

Oryx

Neo Member
I keep wondering why I have to hold the button to talk to merchants...or why clicking X to go through every menu stops when you want to upgrade, which means hitting triangle to select the weapon instead.

Because X equips items - and to keep the upgrade button consistent between equipped, unequipped gear and vendor items.

meanspartan

Can someone explain how voice chat works?

So you have two options, PSN party and in-game right?

What happens when im in PSN party with a friend and a third person joins the fireteam? They gotta be invited to PSN party if we wanna chat?

Melee ability cooldown.

Oh ok. Why not just say cooldown like everything else? Weird wording

I love my Hunter right now. Trying to get a rare shotgun but the only one I found is a blue rare for rank 10 of course. Got a pistol / shotgun combo with Strength gear to decrease grenade cooldown and my grenades in turn decrease melee cooldown. Pretty badass

Carbonox

Having played the shit out of the Alpha, it wasn't long before I did everything and got the majority of the best loot I could find in the Beta. Though I'm lacking quality Uncommon legs and that awesome and OP Uncommon/Rare Sahara machine gun (think it had 92 power or something from what I recall of the Alpha). I have the standard Sahara but that's shit.

The looting side will keep me dabbling for a bit while I work towards really maxing out my character but I do hope that we get some new content (most likely the Moon stuff visible) next week.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can you elaborate on it? Ive been stuck at work all day and haven't been on GAF, thanks.
What glitch? Are they not popping up for you where they should be?
I've opened all 5 golden chests in old Russia, but it says I've only opened 4/5. I even went back to the spots where I opened them just to make sure... and sure enough they aren't there.

It's not that they never spawned, they did. But for whatever reason it only says 4/5 completed.

I'm gonna say this again to be crystal clear: After opening all 5 chests, and not getting my sparrow reward, I went back to all 5 spots and the chests were no longer there.

Proxy

Hey all, this one's for the lore junkies.
There's a lot more storytelling going on compared to the alpha release, so I thought I'd translate Rasputin's lines for the curious among you.
Rasputin, of course, is the Warmind A.I. you interact with during the story missions, and the lines can be heard when Ghost hacks the two antennas at the Shipyard. They are as follows:

"Safety protocol 8-6-3. Hostile entities discovered."
"There's no one to blame, it is not their fault or ours. It is the misfortune of being born when the whole world is dying."
"There is no immortality of soul, thus there is no greater good. Therefore everything is permitted."
"Count up this, define the probability of that."
"They are but meat pressed in the mouth of the shell."
"If, as they say, the coming events cast their shadows ahead of time, then the past events cannot but leave their reflections behind them."
"The whole natural order stands as evidence of a progressive movement toward an elevated state of being."

There you have it. Some of the stuff is rather heady, indicating that the poor old thing has grown rampant. Please share your insights or any cool new lore you've gleaned from the beta.

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to translate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom