• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

kudoboi

There is a PC version for The Crew? I could have sworn that was a PS4 exclusive.

platform exclusives from a 3rd party is suicide at this day and age. the only way that would ever happen is if Sony/ MS paid a lot of cash to get exclusivity

the game is on PC, PS4 and Xbox One

I left it on the Loading Saved Game screen for about 20 minutes and it'd loaded.

But my wireless 360 controller had turned off, so the game didn't realise it worked. Then the screen started flickering, then the intro video started and it crashed.

So, pretty much a modern beta experience.

hodgy100

I left it on the Loading Saved Game screen for about 20 minutes and it'd loaded.

But my wireless 360 controller had turned off, so the game didn't realise it worked. Then the screen started flickering, then the intro video started and it crashed.

So, pretty much a modern beta experience.

you realize what a beta is right?

Hasney

Wow. So I know what people who played it said about the handling now, atrocious. Bloodworth over at GT said because of the levelling up aspect in the full version, the handling might become better over time as you get better parts, but I think it's the whole model. This is a disaster.

I understand it's a beta, but the handling has been like this every time they've shown it off as it sounds like the descriptions I've heard, so they're not iterating on it by the sounds of things.

Dammit! No key here :(

If anyone gets a key and doesn't fancy using it I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I'm really looking forward to The Crew after being a massive TDU fan :D

I was playing this at a friends, but I'm in it myself as well. Once my key comes through, you can most certainly have it.

Enco

pfsOpC5.png

How can it be playable before the download is complete? Or am I misreading the tag?

Nugg

pfsOpC5.png

How can it be playable before the download is complete? Or am I misreading the tag?

It downloads the bare minimum to launch and run the game, then it streams content depending on what you do ingame and what assets you need. You may encounter weird stuff / bugs / conspicuously long loading times though.

Hasney

It downloads the bare minimum to launch and run the game, then it streams content depending on what you do ingame and what assets you need. You may encounter weird stuff / bugs / conspicuously long loading times though.

Yup, think they're beta testing that too since no other UPlay game does it. Works like the PS4.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ok it's working, but my work computer can't handle the game. GT640 is good enough for desktop stuff, but not for such a game. Seemed pretty fun, but giving a muscle car for the first missions isn't exactly a great idea imho...
Just got word that videos are allowed, so expect some stuff from us by tomorrow.

Nice, downloading it now. I'm not really interested in the "actual game" right now, I just wanna drive around the map and check out all the regions/cities. A road trip if you will.

Enco

Played for 50 minutes.

Good
1. The graphics are pretty nice. Nothing amazing though
2. Test driving cars before you buy them and demoing them is nice
3. Loading is fast
4. Didn't realise there was a story. Might keep it intersting

Bad
1. Default keyboard controls make you move with the arrow keys??? :lol
2. There are slow motion crash scenes but they look dumb with the bumper car physics
3. No matter what graphics settings I use, the framerate stays the same. And you guys say there's a 30FPS lock? That's pretty stupid. I want 60FPS+ thanks
4. There are in game purchases? Not sure but there were two currencies when buying a car
5. Film grain at night sucks. Not sure if you can disable

Gowans

It looks like this is closer to a GTA game with only car missions (with a hint of Need for Speed) than a TDU/Forza Horizons style game.

Played for 50 minutes.

Good
1. The graphics are pretty nice. Nothing amazing though
2. Test driving cars before you buy them and demoing them is nice
3. Loading is fast
4. Didn't realise there was a story. Might keep it intersting

Bad
1. Default keyboard controls make you move with the arrow keys??? :lol
2. There are slow motion crash scenes but they look dumb with the bumper car physics
3. No matter what graphics settings I use, the framerate stays the same. And you guys say there's a 30FPS lock? That's pretty stupid. I want 60FPS+ thanks
4. There are in game purchases? Not sure but there were two currencies when buying a car
5. Film grain at night sucks. Not sure if you can disable

two currencies yes. dollar and blue points you can purshase

LilJoka

Am i the only one who hates slow motion crash scenes outside of Burnout? It just breaks the pace of the game and gets tiresome fast.

Uiki

So.... applied 1 month ago and still no code.

I didn't even get the confirmation email.

Guess ubisoft doesn't want my money >_>

Say is Uplay using P2P for downloading? If so I might forget about this Beta :/ It would take me 4 hours to download it which is no problem but for whatever reason it totally destroys my general internet connection, I can't even open a GAF page in under 30 seconds when Uplay is running. Normally with other downloads such as Steam I can happily download away and anyone can still browse away though I'm not going to cripple the entire houses internet for 4 hours :/

It's my first or I think second time downloading something through Uplay as all my Ubi titles I either have on Steam or on Disk.

LilJoka

Say is Uplay using P2P for downloading? If so I might forget about this Beta :/ It would take me 4 hours to download it which is no problem but for whatever reason it totally destroys my general internet connection, I can't even open a GAF page in under 30 seconds when Uplay is running. Normally with other downloads such as Steam I can happily download away and anyone can still browse away though I'm not going to cripple the entire houses internet for 4 hours :/

It's my first or I think second time downloading something through Uplay as all my Ubi titles I either have on Steam or on Disk.

Never knew it uses P2P, but the reason it brings the internet down would be because its uploading and downloading. When you try to do both simultaneously at near maximum capacity it brings the connection to a crawl for any other program.

Certinty

So New York in this is bigger than the one in GTA IV and it seems that Los Angeles is also bigger than the one in Midnight Club LA, that's insane alone.

Never knew it uses P2P, but the reason it brings the internet down would be because its uploading and downloading. When you try to do both simultaneously at near maximum capacity it brings the connection to a crawl for any other program.

Yeah that's what I assumed, I just now tried to limit Uplay's upload with NetBalancer but doing so slows the download to crawl, well done Ubisoft. I won't play the beta then :/ I wish I knew this before I redeemed the Beta Code so I could pass it off to someone here but ah well...

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Yeah that's what I assumed, I just now tried to limit Uplay's upload with NetBalancer but doing so slows the download to crawl, well done Ubisoft. I won't play the beta then :/ I wish I knew this before I redeemed the Beta Code so I could pass it off to someone here but ah well...

It does not uses P2P, it just opens too many connections to download files, so every other programs just struggle to get a tiny bit of internet.

If you limit Uplay with NetBalancer, it goes wrong and even if you see it downloading at some speed in NB, in Uplay it says a lower thing and it just take hours and hours.

The best way is to limit through Uplay's download settings.

I can download up to 350kB/s, without limiting Uplay it opens 10 connections and kills my internet, I can barely go on websites.
In Uplay's options if I set the limit to "256 kB/s", it still kills a little my connection, but I still can use it.

It does not uses P2P, it just opens too many connections to download files, so every other programs just struggle to get a tiny bit of internet.

If you limit Uplay with NetBalancer, it goes wrong and even if you see it downloading at some speed in NB, in Uplay it says a lower thing and it just take hours and hours.

The best way is to limit through Uplay's download settings.

I can download up to 350kB/s, without limiting Uplay it opens 10 connections and kills my internet, I can barely go on websites.
In Uplay's options if I set the limit to "256 kB/s", it still kills a little my connection, but I still can use it.

Ahh thanks for explaining, so it works more like these download managers. Well I guess I will just let it chuck along with 512kb then, I just hope my ISP won't see it as suspicious activity with so many connections :p

Denton

Ok it's working, but my work computer can't handle the game. GT640 is good enough for desktop stuff, but not for such a game. Seemed pretty fun, but giving a muscle car for the first missions isn't exactly a great idea imho...
Just got word that videos are allowed, so expect some stuff from us by tomorrow.

Fantastic. If I may be so bold to ask - could you make a video with HUD disabled, driving purely from cockpit view, in some beautiful locations with nice cars ? I want to see how immersive this game will be. And at max settings pls. Thanks.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Fantastic. If I may be so bold to ask - could you make a video with HUD disabled, driving purely from cockpit view, in some beautiful locations with nice cars ? I want to see how immersive this game will be. And at max settings pls. Thanks.

We'll try and do the game justice. Speaking of videos, they are not allowed unless Ubisoft specifically tells you you can do some.

Ramenman

This is pretty much my only experience of the beta so far. I don't really care about car games (aside from Burnout, but I mean I don't care about Forza/Gran Turismo/whatever)

Also, even when I play Burnout, I never play any game ever in cockpit view, but here I do.

I just drive, from city to city, in cockpit view, and it's fucking great. Did that for almost 3 hours and I'm certainly not bored yet, and I haven't even covered 20% of the map I think.

To me, this game perfectly captures the feeling of leaving a place and arriving at another, and the pleasure of the journey in-between, probably because the map is so freaking huge. Sorry if it sounds stupid or cheesy.

Can't wait to have a more "off road" vehicle to just say fuck to roads :D (I already do it with my Ford Mustang but in some environments like forest mountains it's not optimal :p).

The presence of "radio towers" (yes) made me laugh at first, but finding them is kind of fun and punctuates my free-roaming and exploring of the map in a cool and non-intrusive way. It's not like I'm interested in races or anything. I hope not too many things will be gated behind the story missions because I don't care about those either.

Now challenges like jump/escape/scramble, those are things that can probably be fun, I'll try. Maybe.

Also, I had no problem with the handling. But I'm probably not a good judge since I also had no problem with Watch Dogs. (I did find GTA IV totally shitty in that regard though). Handling is probably less of a problem when you're not taking part in anything aside from jumping challenges though.

TheTrain

For the 30FPS cap:

Find the "PCSCapability" file in My Documents and change the FPS limit

There is also an option regard this, in game menu'. Probably at the release that will be active. :D

ToiJu

If somebody has a spare key I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. I registered during the E3 presentation and haven't received a single e-mail from them. This is on my list of most awaited games of the year, up there with Horizon 2.

Top Bottom