• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

Denton

This is pretty much my only experience of the beta so far. I don't really care about car games (aside from Burnout, but I mean I don't care about Forza/Gran Turismo/whatever)

Also, even when I play Burnout, I never play any game ever in cockpit view, but here I do.

I just drive, from city to city, in cockpit view, and it's fucking great. Did that for almost 3 hours and I'm certainly not bored yet, and I haven't even covered 20% of the map I think.

To me, this game perfectly captures the feeling of leaving a place and arriving at another, and the pleasure of the journey in-between, probably because the map is so freaking huge. Sorry if it sounds stupid or cheesy.

Can't wait to have a more "off road" vehicle to just say fuck to roads :D (I already do it with my Ford Mustang but in some environments like forest mountains it's not optimal :p).

The presence of "radio towers" (yes) made me laugh at first, but finding them is kind of fun and punctuates my free-roaming and exploring of the map in a cool and non-intrusive way. It's not like I'm interested in races or anything. I hope not too many things will be gated behind the story missions because I don't care about those either.

Now challenges like jump/escape/scramble, those are things that can probably be fun, I'll try. Maybe.

Also, I had no problem with the handling. But I'm probably not a good judge since I also had no problem with Watch Dogs. (I did find GTA IV totally shitty in that regard though). Handling is probably less of a problem when you're not taking part in anything aside from jumping challenges though.

That sounds great, precisely what I hoped for. I just want to drive around and explore the world.

This is still one of the most beautiful trailers I have ever seen:

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_the_crew_coast_to_coast_trailer-32277_en.html

Hyped!

Anteater

Dammit, too late!

Ahhh too late!

emot-smuggog4iep.gif

I'll post my code here if somehow I get in late

Check your PMs.

Thanks! The code works

Eusis

platform exclusives from a 3rd party is suicide at this day and age. the only way that would ever happen is if Sony/ MS paid a lot of cash to get exclusivity

the game is on PC, PS4 and Xbox One
Or it's from a Japanese publisher. Well, many are multiplatform too, but loads of smaller games are PS exclusive.

But yeah don't expect platform exclusive from Ubisoft, when that does happen it's usually either PC, a launch title, or a lower profile handheld game. I think only Nintendo has gotten exclusives from them lately actually.

ascully

Having issues getting i to run here. It loads I get the loading saved game thing then it just sits running the logo animation over and over I end tasked after 20 minutes assuming it wasn't working.

Enco

For the 30FPS cap:

Find the "PCSCapability" file in My Documents and change the FPS limit

There is also an option regard this, in game menu'. Probably at the release that will be active. :D

On twit they said you can change to 60fps by goin into config.sys files

File is called PScalability.xml

I tried it and it definitely runs better but the turning animations seem jittery. Like it's made for 30FPS or something. I'm not much of a technical guy so don't know why or how this is happening. Maybe it's just me.

Played a bit longer and man the menu and loading sound effects are annoying. Game also crashed to desktop.

i completed the prologue without problems, but seems like we can't talk details about the game, also i need uplay buddies add me: RazorbackDB

Enco

This thread is kinda dead.

Is the game gonna be a bomba or have they just invited too few people? Or a mix of the two?

sunnz

the physics look soooo poor for a game focused on driving and racing, even GTA V looks better.

ALL they had to do was copy D:SF physics over.
Only thing that is annoying me.
Would like to get into the beta to actually play it myself, hope there is a demo.

ascully

From what I played before it crashed and now wont launch again, its like Burnout paradise but with a worse framerate. Map seemed like it had tons to do on it though.

there is a TOS at the start of the game saying you can't talk details of the game on any social network and blablabla, maybe they just haven't noticed about twitch or the NDA is dust. Anyway i came with no expectations and the game seems pretty good so far, the prologue story gave me a NFS:MW vibe but i have to finish the download to keep playing.

Dilly

Banned
I'm first and foremost a simracer, but I'm actually quite pleased with the handling of the cars, FFB also feels very convincing in how it handles bumps in the road, feels more alive than Codemaster's GRID games for example. It's a fun arcade racer, map is fucking huge.

Just played the intro and it's pretty cool, takes me back to the times I played Need for Speed: Underground and Most Wanted for hours on end.

The Cowboy

After my email this weekend i was kinda hoping they'd send me a key - no dice so far. If anyone has a spare, I'd much appreciate it.

Addnan

Game is ugly, runs at 30fps (for now any way), cars handle like a dog, plenty of other car games coming out this year. Why would anyone buy this?

If anyone has a code that they don't want or can't use for some reason, I would like to try this beta...and if I get a code later then I will put it up here for someone else. :)

Enco

Game is ugly, runs at 30fps (for now any way), cars handle like a dog, plenty of other car games coming out this year. Why would anyone buy this?
It's definitely rough but you're being a bit harsh :p

The framerate is a joke but graphics aren't too bad and the handling isn't too bad either.

I would say the physics and framerate are the worst part of this. The framerate can be fixed but I doubt the physics will change.

Game wasn't on my radar until now. Just spent 5 hours playing the beta. Didn't even mean to the time just flew.

Anyway first impressions.

1. My god the map is actually huge.

2. Looks great

3 . even though I've never been to America each city and area has its own atmosphere and feel to it.

4.sounds great, not sure on soundtrack though

5. Didn't realise there was even a story to this but it actually was quite interesting from what I played, for a racing game!

6. Spent most of it just driving from one city to the next, cockpit view is gorgeous.

7. Cutscenes look really fucking good.

8. I hate the main menu. Loaded the game up and went for a shit and within 5 minutes of the start menu the sounds were that annoying I almost turned the game off. Thankfully I didn't

9. Whilst I have no friends who play pc (sob) I didn't create a crew but if I get this it will be on ps4 and I can see it being am absolute blast just cruising with your mates trying to ram each other off the roads and stuff.

Anyway not sure how many people got into the beta so if you have any more questions about it just ask :)

King_Moc

Banned
In terms of scale, the game measure in real miles, rather than scaled ones. The bottom right corner of miami to the top left corner of the map is about 100 miles, with no straight route to get there. I drove from Detroit to Washington, to NYC to Miami and that probably took over an hour. It has an impressive number of towns and cities and they're very reminiscent of their real life counterparts, though aren't hugely detailed. There are some notable ones missing, like Orlando and Houston, but it still had the likes of Daytona and Tampa. Graphically, it's not so hot. On ultra it was reminiscent idea mid gen ps360 title. The scale is so utterly ludicrous that it gets away with it though. Oh, and you can drive almost anywhere.

Subxero

Hopefully they will send out more keys during the week. I signed up as soon as they made the announcement and didn't get selected. I was really interested in checking the beta out.

danserv

Neo Member
Yes, there definitely is a NDA, I read it before I started the game. Clearly others didn't look at what they were agreeing to.

I checked out a stream and the fella said he'd got the OK to stream it, and to ignore the NDA notice. I guess it must have been left in this version by mistake.

Top Bottom