• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

Keys

Quote to reveal a beta key. I registered for the beta from Italy, I don't know if it's region locked or something.

sunnz

If anyone else has a key, I am willing to give you watch dogs in return ( uplay), chance it might not work but worth a go.

Porcupine

I hope it's a problem of the beta, but the game can look really ugly sometimes. Especially in the mountains there are some of the worst pop-ups I've seen for years. I play everything on ultra, but it doesn't look like it =/
Otherwise seems like a nice game, the map is really huge and the driving is ok. But I think it's to early to say, how good it will be.

EDIT: And it seems the interest in this game is really low.

dukie85

Anybody have a spare key? (probably not, but doesn't hurt to try) Signing up when the beta was first announced, and not getting anything is pretty heartbreaking -.-

The Cowboy

I am super impressed with the scale of this game (and its graphics), its pretty dam insane. After the initial tutorial i went strait for New York and it was a great little drive, its actually quite amazing how its all done with zero loading once your in the game.

I am now going to do a Cannonball run from New York to Los Angeles, the devs really should put a Cannonball challenge in the final game :D.

I am super impressed with the scale of this game (and its graphics), its pretty dam insane. After the initial tutorial i went strait for New York and it was a great little drive, its actually quite amazing how its all done with zero loading once your in the game.

I am now going to do a Cannonball run from New York to Los Angeles, the devs really should put a Cannonball challenge in the final game :D.

That sounds awesome can't wait to play this game at some point I've always wanted to race across an entire country in an open world setting.

I hope it's a problem of the beta, but the game can look really ugly sometimes. Especially in the mountains there are some of the worst pop-ups I've seen for years. I play everything on ultra, but it doesn't look like it =/
Otherwise seems like a nice game, the map is really huge and the driving is ok. But I think it's to early to say, how good it will be.

EDIT: And it seems the interest in this game is really low.

I agree with you in the mountains department. And that's the kind of thing graphically that's making me shaking my head. Some areas look great even far ahead - like rocky settings. But I don't know what's going on with the mountains. I was hoping for grand vistas and all but all I got to see even on close/midrange mountains was a huge TDU1-like low res texture and not a single tree. That was before the glaring pop ups populated them. Huge turn off. The whole área is a step-down from the rest of the game. Sometimes in the cities at night, about the 'tall buldings with yellow night lights' the LOD threshold between better models and worse ones is glaring too. Too close from you they are a huge low res texture only and it looks awful. These low res buildings should only be further from you, when you can't see the low res so well and the difference between one bulding being like this and the other next to it looking much better isn't so easy to spot. I have several screenshotsnof this I wish I could share here. Is the streaming engine not quite there yet?

This is something I wanted to ask the developer in this thread. I know it's a beta, there will be improvements, but I'm looking for an answer, if you can, that isn't a typical one like 'it's a beta'. It's just out of curiosity really, but I'd really like to know how does the team feel about the game's visuals? Would you agree that it's a bit rough at the moment and that certain things are bringing down the potential of the world you've been creating, like some pop up and weird LOD? And if so, do you see yourselves having some time left for you to iron out the engine before release?

Denton

Oh god I hope LoD issues will be sorted out too, nothing takes me out of a game faster than a constant distracting pop-in. That kind of shit should disappear with newgen development.

Downloaded the beta yesterday, but only had time to play it now. We'll, I do have the time, but it won't let me start. I get to the main menu and can change the settings, but I stead of new game, it says "continue" and then fails to load anything. It's really a shame.

vvise

Realized I never got confirmation when I applied for beta originally. Re-applied this morning, just got email that I'm in now :)

Will download and play tonight.

Tripolygon

Banned
So i have an HD5730 GPU, do you guys think it will be able to play this beta at a decent FPS?
I've been able to play BF3 and heck even Crysis at a decent fps.

So, played a few hours between last night and today. The game is pretty sweet. At first I didn't like the handling, seemed like no matter what you were in, they all handled like a hunk of metal and no difference, but once you start kitting out your cars with upgrades, that dissipates. It is pretty arcadey though, more so than say Forza Horizon. I think NFS Rivals is a fair comparison. The world is as huge as everyone else is saying, it takes forever to get form one end of the map to the other, that's going to be the big draw here, hours and hours of driving to be done. The graphics are the trade off. I don't think they are bad or anything, but the lighting isn't very impressive and the textures can look a bit plain even on top options.

Speaking of that, I'm running the game mostly on top settings at 1080/60, I ditched the nvidia features for stability so that's the HBAO+, the soft shadowing and the TXAA, but everything is max otherwise, and I'm getting a steady 60fps with a GTX 770 2gb. Even with those three hog options on, I'm really just talking about fluctuations between 50-60 so it's not a horrible trade off, I think it's fair to say that even in beta the game is pretty decently optimised, with a lot to go between now and November I bet. The only main point I'd make on all that is I've been playing solely single player, so none of those performance impressions reflect that it's like when you have a big multiplayer race going on. The only thing I'm not sure about is the AA. Even when it's telling me I have 4xMSAA on (which really should give a clean picture) there's alot of aliasing. I don't know if that means the AA options are broken or what, but it's sticking out at me.

ViciousDS

Banned
Realized I never got confirmation when I applied for beta originally. Re-applied this morning, just got email that I'm in now :)

Will download and play tonight.

awwwwww, im registered on two emails...........wtf

if anyone has a key lol, I would be grateful. Hope both emails get something soon so I can drop one here.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Got the destiny Beta but nothing for The Crew :(

I don't even know if this runs on my laptop, a very cheap 710M... it probably doesn't, but whatever, lol

If anyone has a key I'm willing to exchange it for my destiny key, haven't used it yet.

drotahorror

I got a feeling that a lot of keys will be given out tomorrow via email. I'm not sure if it's really a feeling or more just a fact hah.

The Cowboy

Well, did my Cannonball, halfway through I decided to engage some smokies (4 stars) and had them chasing me for quite some time which was heaps of fun - i really do like this game a lot.

npa189

I'd be willing to trade a Destiny PS4 key if anyone is willing to part with a PC key for this. PM me if your interested.

iNvid02

had a really weird graphical issue where the screen was black with only the lighting shining through, disabling SLI fixed it.

The Cowboy

I'm getting an average of 25 fps with a gtx 770 :-(

Really?, i get a solid 30fps with a GTX480 and every setting maxed out (bar that FPS bomb dropping 8xMSAA :D), and as yet I've not seen it even get close to maxing out my GPU usage..

Yeah my 680 is running this at 60fps no sweat. It is a beta though. Honestly for me at least, this is the best running Ubisoft PC game in quite some time.
Agreed, I'm actually quite impressed at its performance considering the scale and how it looks (and with its load times), being a UbiSoft game i was expecting a lot worse.

The Cowboy

Was just reading this.
http://www.gamepur.com/news/15518-c...west-and-1080p-medium-high-video-setting.html
The Crew Recommended PC System Requirements (1080p resolution, medium-high video settings, but not ultra):
•Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 (64bit).
•Processor: ◦Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.66 GHz or better.
◦AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0 GHz or better.

•RAM: 8GB
•Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 or AMD Radeon HD6870 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or higher).
This can't be right or is one heck of a overestimate, i run a GTX480 and a Phenom X3 450 (unlocked to be an X4 though, but it still has no L3 cache on it), i can set every setting to its max bar the AA (as that take a massive hit at 8x) and it maintains the locked 30fps perfectly with not a single drop (as shown above, i drove from New York to LA).

No way does this game require a GTX580 and an X4 940 to get 1080p with medium/high settings, with that CPU and GPU people should easily get 1080p and Ultra settings.

Got a key earlier today and put far, far too much time into it this evening. I'm really liking this, the driving model was a bit awkward at first but I got used to it pretty quick, reminded me of Driver San Francisco a lot in how it plays, but the main draw is the scale and detail of the world. I barely touched the missions themselves, I played until you get your own car then basically drove off into the sunset, first to New York via some random places, then to Washington, then to Miami, then I decided to bomb my way from Key West to Seattle as quickly as possible, the latter bit of which took me about an hour and a half and almost an in game day. The graphics are the main drawback of this, they're merely OK and not much better, but the expansiveness of the game world is just extraordinary. Easily the best road trip simulator I've ever played, and I kinda can't wait to get back to exploring it.

Would you agree that it's a bit rough at the moment and that certain things are bringing down the potential of the world you've been creating, like some pop up and weird LOD? And if so, do you see yourselves having some time left for you to iron out the engine before release?

I do agree that it's a bit rough regarding the LODs, and it's been a bugbear of mine watching Twitch streams. Since this is a beta and we are looking explicitly for feedback and bugs, I'd be surprised if it was out of line for me to respond to this.

I'm certain there have been some improvements to this outside the closed beta build (which is a revision of maybe a few weeks old now). But if not, it will be something I'll be suggesting definitely. It's only very noticeable on very expansive vistas, where - as you mentioned - you see huge canyons and mountain ranges or cityscape LODS popping in very jarringly and it doesn't look so hot. It's to do with how the game streams in content via 'sectors' which are these square chunks that piece together the whole world. For some of the aforementioned areas that LODing needs to be more gradually streamed in instead of 'jumping' from a low res distant sector to immediately populated with all art assets.

With upgrades, do you need to re-do the events to earn them for each car you unlock? Initially went with the Chevy, but after a few hours wanted to see what the Dodge was like, but it looks to me like the upgrades are car specific, so looks like it'll be best to stick to one car until you find one that's initial stats outmatch your current, unless I'm missing something.

Just went on a 40 minute cruise from (approximately) the most north-eastern point to the most south-eastern point, Mexican border in Cali, was pretty impressive, although I got a really weird lighting bug I think, will need to send it onto Ubi to find out what on earth was happening.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm...soo huh... I can't get to the second checkpoint of the very first race in time... Like the tutorial thing that you get right into when you first start the game. wtf?

I think I've looked everywhere so.... is there a way to disable voicechat in general?

I saw this on reddit yesterday.

rawr_dinosaur said:
Don't want to break NDA, but if you are in game, you probably know why you would want to disable it, you can do so by pressing F, then hitting enter, selecting disable voice, and hitting enter again.
Link to reddit thread - http://www.reddit.com/r/The_Crew/comments/2baxba/psa_you_can_disable_voip/

Can't test it myself because Ubisoft has yet to send me a key.. Hopefully the above works for you, though.

The Cowboy

I think I've looked everywhere so.... is there a way to disable voicechat in general?
Whilst in game bring up your crew roster (F on keyboard, clicking Right stick on a pad), then on your own panel with your name on it and select "disable voice", this turns off all voice chat for both you speaking and you hearing anyone playing in your session (you can re-enable it by selecting "talk to session"), if you just want to silence an annoying player, bring up the roster and select the player you want to silence and select "mute".

Or read above :D.

Top Bottom