• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Naughty Dog have just killed 60 fps for this Gen, just forget about it, swarms if devs are sighing in relief in being able to run their games in 30 fps without doing any optimisation. Everyone will now clamour behind the 'cinematic' mode is better and consumers will suck it in.

This is it, end if 60 fps gaming all due to Naughty Dog.

o.0

Nibel

Naughty Dog have just killed 60 fps for this Gen, just forget about it, swarms if devs are sighing in relief in being able to run their games in 30 fps without doing any optimisation. Everyone will now clamour behind the 'cinematic' mode is better and consumers will suck it in.

DRUUUUUUUUCKMAAANNN

i7y8yEqdETJ50.gif

I don't care about shadow quality at all and think it's the most performance-wasting visual feature of every 3D game ever. It's the first thing I set to low/medium in my PC games and the difference is very often so minimal that it isn't worth the difference. #Team60

Gestault

That sure is something. Mixed feelings, though not the sort of thing that would effect my purchase decision. The game is worth it, but particularly when so many staffers aggressively affirmed on social media the idea that the game (a) almost universally ran at 60 fps and (b) played up the value of 60 fps as a bar for the experience, this info seems like a bit of an omission on their part.

mattp

In theory I'm totally fine for having different options and think thats great.

Personally though? I'm a little annoyed with this because now I'm going to feel constantly torn playing the remaster. I really wanna prefer the 60fps but now there will always be a voice in the back of my head telling me it could look slightly better if I lock it to 30fps...

but how do you define better?
i think running at 60fps looks better. even if the shadows are bumped up a bit at 30

Spoo

I imagine this will be an easier decision to make for people like myself who have played the PS3 version -- we've already experienced the 30 fps version of the game. Bring on the 60.

SRTtoZ

I'm so happy, this is exactly as it should be. If you want 60 fps, there will be graphical cutbacks, just like on PC. If, however, you choose to play at 30 fps, there should be some noticeable graphical improvements. As a PC gamer for 15 years now, I'm someone who usually prefers the highest amount of graphics at a stable 30fps, so this makes me super happy. Please include a similar option for Uncharted so we can choose 60 fps, or 30 with some visual upgrades. Sweet ND.

OPTIONS PEOPLE! OPTIONS!

It only depends of how much worse are the shadows at 60fps. Cant judge anything without pics here!

Well, there's a ton of gameplay screens people with early copies have been sharing on here. Those will all be the 60 fps shadows - so you can judge from those as you want. I wonder if the "bullshots" Sony released was the higher quality version?

impact

Banned
Sounds good to me. Shadows are the first thing I tone down on PC to get better framerate. Kudos to ND for giving us options.

hohoXD123

Great, have the standard default settings with 60 fps for people who don't want to mess around with the settings and just want to play, but also give the option for frame limiters + improved settings for those who want to experiment. Really don't see why people are complaining, rather see this in more 30+ fps games.

mattp

okay maybe better isn't the right choice of words. more that there's a different experience I could be having

heh, my same point stands though!
60fps experience is better to me than 30fps experience even if the shadows are nicer looking

gotta remember a videogame isn't a still image. running smoothly is a big part of looking good

edit: what im getting at is, if you play at 30 with the bumped shadows you'll constantly be thinking about the fact that you could be playing it at 60fps. either way, you're missing out on something

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In theory I'm totally fine for having different options and think thats great.

Personally though? I'm a little annoyed with this because now I'm going to feel constantly torn playing the remaster. I really wanna prefer the 60fps but now there will always be a voice in the back of my head telling me it could look slightly better if I lock it to 30fps...
This is true, and is probably the main reason I sort of dislike gaming on PC. I feel like I spend more time tweaking the visuals vs. framerate than actually playing any game.

They're saying it leads to noticeably better shadows compared to the 60 FPS mode, not that shadows are only upgraded from the original if you play at 30 FPS.

If all this is true, then I'm thinking it's not just shadows, but that was the most noticeable feature.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, shouldn't the PS4 have the raw grunt to run this game at 1080P/60 FPS with all the bells and whistles? Why do they have to "target" 60 FPS at all when something like UC4 and The Order blow TLOU out of the water? I don't have any technical understanding of what goes into ports etc. just find it weird is all, then again, I guess devs struggled with HD ports last gen as well

Dali

The most amusing part of all this is that it erodes the common claim that console games are "plug and play" without any tweaking of settings.

There have been others in the past. Perfect Dark on the N64 or Turok 2 on the N64 as well. This is undoubtedly the highest profile game to do so, though.
It's still "plug and play". The complaint with pc gaming tweaking is you have to tweak the options to get the best performance. This is toggles. The game will function to the best of its ability no matter what you do. You don't have to tweak anything just decide if you want to toggle between looks or speed.

As it should be. Lower framerate should allow for some kind of better visuals.

Joel/Ellie seem to have it actually, but not the rest of the characters.

Shadows are already 2x the PS3 quality in the 60FPS mode, so obviously something more than that in 30FPS mode.

They do? That's interesting then. There is a good conversation over at b3d about the differences between realtime vs pre-render.

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61285&page=76

Xyber

Well that just makes sense, if they are including an option to limit the fps they might as well use some of that extra power to improve something that is not vital to the gameplay experience in any way but still is nice to have. I don't know what AA solution they are using for the game, but maybe they could've improved on that instead. Less jaggies > better shadows in my opinion.

Still, whenever I get a PS4 and this game I will be playing it at 60fps anyway. 60 over 30 any day of the week.

It's still "plug and play". The complaint with pc gaming tweaking is you have to tweak the options to get the best performance. This is toggles. The game will function to the best of its ability no matter what you do. You don't have to tweak anything just decide if you want to toggle between looks or speed.

Every single time a thread about adding a few options in console games pops up here, lots of people on gaf are completely against it. Somehow having the option to disable vsync to get a bit better framerate but maybe get some tearing makes the devs lazy and the game isn't longer "plug and play".

But as soon as you can cut the framerate in half (by doing the same thing you would do to disable vsync, toggle something in the option) to achieve a "cinematic experience" it's the best thing since sliced bread. :p

This wasn't completely related to your quote, but it made me think of this.

SRTtoZ

I'm pretty sure this is some meme, right????

icespide

Banned
heh, my same point stands though!
60fps experience is better to me than 30fps experience even if the shadows are nicer looking

gotta remember a videogame isn't a still image. running smoothly is a big part of looking good

I guess my point is now I have to think about it more than I wanted to

If in the 60fps mode there is another option for less chest hair then the shadows in 60fps mode would probably look as good as if it were on 30fps.

Ultryx

Yeah they can give better shadow quality because the fucking game only has to display 30fps instead of 60fps.

*shakes head*

Krejlooc

Banned
It does not improve visual quality when you go from 60 to 30. It is simply impossible.

By your extremely narrow criteria of what constitutes improvement, sure. But you're pretty obviously being obtuse when you clearly know what everybody is talking about.

PC games come with toggles as well...

I guess my point is now I have to think about it more than I wanted to

I think I'll start at 60, check out the shadows in 30, play in that mode while I spend 10 hours dicking around in photo-mode, then when I actually decide to play the game I will bump it back up to 60.

Wait a minute, what's with all the popcorn GIFs? What's the controversy here?
I don't get it either. Isn't this exactly what people have been asking/hoping for? Make stuff do 60 but also not waste all the extra horsepower if you want an option to lock 30?

Still waiting for pics but even if there's the tiniest difference in quality between "fluidity" and "filmic" (or whatever stupid terms people want to use) how is everyone not happy?

geordiemp

Tip of the iceberg for rudimentary graphics settings in console games?

Lets hope so, we don't need the level of PC options being a closed box...but it would be nice to have 1 or 2 options.

Going form 60 to 30 FPS what is ND supposed to do, have the Ps4 sit for 1/2 the time doing nothing ?

They may as well add something.

Top Bottom