• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

foogles

Wait a minute, what's with all the popcorn GIFs? What's the controversy here? As far as I can tell, this is the first console game to go out of its way to give both graphics nerds and speed freaks what they want.

Krejlooc

Banned
The most amusing part of all this is that it erodes the common claim that console games are "plug and play" without any tweaking of settings.

Wait a minute, what's with all the popcorn GIFs? What's the controversy here? As far as I can tell, this is the first console game to go out of its way to give both graphics nerds and speed freaks what they want.

There have been others in the past. Perfect Dark on the N64 or Turok 2 on the N64 as well. This is undoubtedly the highest profile game to do so, though.

GavinUK86

oh-shi.gif

MRORANGE

Naughty Dog have just killed 60 fps for this Gen, just forget about it, swarms if devs are sighing in relief in being able to run their games in 30 fps without doing any optimisation. Everyone will now clamour behind the 'cinematic' mode is better and consumers will suck it in.

This is it, end if 60 fps gaming all due to Naughty Dog.

Some people will meltdown because PS4 "Can't run a measly ps3 game at 60 fps" even though the higher quality shadows didn't exist in the PS3 version to begin with. Others will use it as a feast for their trolling needs. Others will claim ND lied, Uncharted 4 is doomed, etc. The age of ND is over

Krejlooc

Banned
Naughty Dog have just killed 60 fps for this Gen, just forget about it, swarms if devs are sighing in relief in being able to run their games in 30 fps without doing any optimisation.

lmao this thread is getting funky

Some people will meltdown because PS4 "Can't run a measly ps3 game at 60 fps" even though the higher quality shadows didn't exist in the PS3 version to begin with. Others will use it as a feast for their trolling needs. Others will claim ND lied, Uncharted 4 is doomed, etc. The age of ND is over
Yep. Sounds about right.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I don't get it either. How is this news considered bad in any way, shape or form?

Orayn

Nothing wrong with this.. i mean that extra sauce left because youre playing at 30fps should go somewhere.

Definitely. Unlike Infamous or Killzone where you're going from 30-40something to a locked 30, TLOU Remastered being a 60 FPS game actually leaves enough additional sauce that you can put it towards something nice.

GRaider81

Will we be able to switch back and forward during game?

If so I might go 60 for action scenes and 30 with shadows for the quieter moments.

If not though think ill go 30 with shadows.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What I don't like is that the 60fps setting is apparently not stable. Because of that, it feels as if this is a fake choice. 60fps is just there for marketing, but the true, optimized experienced is found at 30fps.

I just feel games on sealed boxes should take advantage of the fact that they're on fixed hardware. It seems that "targeting 60fps" is going to become a buzz phrase on consoles to make a game sound impressive with a bigger number. But a lot of games will end up like Tomb Raider or Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer - poorly optimized, effectively looking worse than if they'd either been capped at 30fps or locked at 60fps with some of the fancy effects toned down.

SerTapTap

People realize there is not a maximum for quality in games, right? TLoU remastered, even at 30 FPS isn't "maxed". They could still supersample the shit out of it, have draw distance unreasonably far, pixel perfect shadows, throw 3D in there. There is no "max" that they have failed to reach. There is never a maximum. You guys have played a PC game, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
well ok but they did flat out say they only included the 30fps option for preference only (some gaffer said 60fps made him feel uneasy).

for it to now emerge that 30fps brings some potentially noticeable improvement in shadows is pretty crummy

need pics first though

Maybe they did put it in for preference only, but then realised they had extra power available so could make it a but better looking. Why is that crummy? There are clearly those that like 60fps, and there are those that don't mind 30fps with better graphics. Sounds like a win-win.

I honestly don't understand. Why would the PS4 need to sacrifice half the framerate to have the option of noticeably better shadows? This should be locked into the 60 FPS mode :l

Kinyou

The BioShock games give you an option to turn vsync on and off. You'll get a higher frame rate in exchange for more tearing an occasionally bigger fps dips.

JohngPR

I don't see how this is a big deal. Obviously they are giving the 30FPS option better shadows because they have the extra overhead.

How is that a bad thing? I don't think the 60fps would've gotten the better shadows anyway, unless it's some kind of oversight fixed with the day one patch or something like that.

Naughty Dog have just killed 60 fps for this Gen, just forget about it, swarms if devs are sighing in relief in being able to run their games in 30 fps without doing any optimisation. Everyone will now clamour behind the 'cinematic' mode is better and consumers will suck it in.

/s

Orayn

I honestly don't understand. Why would the PS4 need to sacrifice half the framerate to have the option of noticeably better shadows? This should be locked into the 60 FPS mode :l

They're saying it leads to noticeably better shadows compared to the 60 FPS mode, not that shadows are only upgraded from the original if you play at 30 FPS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is not a win/win. Adding the option for 30fps is not a win.
Why would't it be when it improves the visuals quality of the game? It's like High/Ultra on PC, where ultra gives you 30FPS. I don't see what's the big deal.

They're saying it leads to noticeably better shadows compared to the 60 FPS mode, not that shadows are only upgraded from the original if you play at 30 FPS.
Yes - shadows are supposed to already be 2x better than the original, when you play at 60FPS.

Volotaire

It's a bit similar to the 3DS version of Resident Evil revelations where selecting 3D mode meant anti aliasing is turned off.

Denton

60 fps or nothing. Obviously, PC version where I could get both would be best, but in this case I have to settle with worse looking shadows I guess.

icespide

Banned
In theory I'm totally fine for having different options and think thats great.

Personally though? I'm a little annoyed with this because now I'm going to feel constantly torn playing the remaster. I really wanna prefer the 60fps but now there will always be a voice in the back of my head telling me it could look slightly better if I lock it to 30fps...

Top Bottom