• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very white (rumored) cast for something set in California. C'mon, Mr. Pizzolatto.

I think it's going to be set in Northern or Center Cal (maybe even in the Nevadas) so I'm hoping for a more Native American setting. Pizzolatto said he wanted to keep it pretty far from LA, and I really fucking hope that means it's not going to on a beach either. I've wanted a film or tv show to be set in the California mountains forever, hope we finally get one.

KingKong

Many consider it the best show since The Wire (or Breaking Bad). So I think most will tell you it's worth watching. However, it something as trivial as Woody's voice turns you off, not sure it's the kind of show for you.

Do they? I thought that was the hype when it was airing. I don't know if it would make the top 10 HBO shows for me.

Also you people are nuts, Elisabeth Moss is the best actor in those casting rumors and the only one who's been in a similar show (Top of the lake)

Robot Pants

Do they? I thought that was the hype when it was airing. I don't know if it would make the top 10 HBO shows for me.

Also you people are nuts, Elisabeth Moss is the best actor in those casting rumors and the only one who's been in a similar show (Top of the lake)
Yea I was hyped when it was airing. Really disappointed by the end of it.
Doesn't come anywhere near top 10 for me.

Mononoke

Banned

Some people feel let down by how the show wrapped up (myself included, although I still enjoyed the finale). But I would say, the majority of praise I hear for this show is still really positive. While I agree that saying it's as good as the Wire is silly (especially since we are comparing an 8 episode one off story, vs a sprawling epic show), I was just letting that user know that people consider this show really highly.

Whether we agree with that assessment is well its own thing. I will say though, I do think the acting and direction (cinematography) is definitely what I would consider a top 10 show. But in terms of plot and how it plays out, yeah...
But I mean at 8 episodes long, I still think it's worth watching. Don't you?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
for me he can direct them all if he want

I like the synopsis, now get this show on the road

I'd love it too, but I don't think it's feasible to have one guy direct them all again. Dominik could no doubt match or exceed the visuals from the first season, tracking shot aside.

big ander

I only skimmed the examples so tell me: does the article get into why this is plagiarism? Having a character who is a heavy reader and into weird fiction and philosophy paraphrase an author isn't plagiarism.
For one, that Rust says those things isn't the same as the show making them their center. The season is critical of Rust's philosophy. What the show is saying isn't what Rust is saying.
For two, television is a visual medium. It's not written word. If Pizza published a book that had these paraphrased sayings there'd be a problem. He didn't. It was filmed, put in another context, and fairly quoted. I don't see how it's any different from song lyrics quoting a philosopher's thoughts, or characters in a movie quoting song lyrics, or a tv episode slyly referencing characters in a movie. This was no copy and paste job, there was a translation.

Faddy

Banned
I only skimmed the examples so tell me: does the article get into why this is plagiarism? Having a character who is a heavy reader and into weird fiction and philosophy paraphrase an author isn't plagiarism.
For one, that Rust says those things isn't the same as the show making them their center. The season is critical of Rust's philosophy. What the show is saying isn't what Rust is saying.
For two, television is a visual medium. It's not written word. If Pizza published a book that had these paraphrased sayings there'd be a problem. He didn't. It was filmed, put in another context, and fairly quoted. I don't see how it's any different from song lyrics quoting a philosopher's thoughts, or characters in a movie quoting song lyrics, or a tv episode slyly referencing characters in a movie. This was no copy and paste job, there was a translation.

Plagiarism is academic dishonesty. The problem isn't that Ligotti's work was used in the show it is that the creator didn't openly acknowledge that Rust's worldview was based on the works of an unknown philosopher-novelist. I suppose the flip side to that is no one would expect credit to be given if a character was espousing the philosophy of Descartes or Locke because these are well known so easier for the audience to pick up on.

The more sinister part is that Pizzolotto tried to hide his sources to present the work as wholly his own ideas, using his mainstream media to claim the work of people working in a more obscure medium. The bit that made me think that this wasn't above board is the evasiveness of admitting the references in interviews, even when explicitly asked.

The easiest way to get around issues like this is to reference influences within the show, even something as subtle as a Ligotti book on Rust's desk would be enough in the age of analysing and over-analysing TV shows.

Plagiarism is academic dishonesty. The problem isn't that Ligotti's work was used in the show it is that the creator didn't openly acknowledge that Rust's worldview was based on the works of an unknown philosopher-novelist. I suppose the flip side to that is no one would expect credit to be given if a character was espousing the philosophy of Descartes or Locke because these are well known so easier for the audience to pick up on.

The more sinister part is that Pizzolotto tried to hide his sources to present the work as wholly his own ideas, using his mainstream media to claim the work of people working in a more obscure medium. The bit that made me think that this wasn't above board is the evasiveness of admitting the references in interviews, even when explicitly asked.

The easiest way to get around issues like this is to reference influences within the show, even something as subtle as a Ligotti book on Rust's desk would be enough in the age of analysing and over-analysing TV shows.
There's a new thread up if you'd like to discuss this further: Rust monologues in True Detective allegedly lifted from obscure author

Well, that's not the impression I get.

The work and vision of Thomas Ligotti was very influential for imagining Cohle's overall worldview. I've tried to avoid discussion of Cohle's philosophies because the truth is, the audience cannot yet see the totality of Cohle's character or the story being told. His relationship to the philosophies he espouses in the first three episodes don't encapsulate the entirety of his character. For instance, Cohle can't be a nihilist-- he cares too much; he's too passionate; he yearns too much (so, in his way, he deludes himself as much as Marty does). Who he ultimately is, is not yet clear. Right now, I hope its difficult to tell whose side the writer is on, and I think that's the way it should be. And this might be paranoid, but this early on in the run, I really didn't want people accusing us of pushing some antinatalist or nihilistic agenda: the show's true agenda, and its relationship to those philosophies, won't be clear until the 8th episode finishes. At which point, if anybody still cared, I was hoping to get to discuss these things. Anyhow: there was a clear line to me from Chambers to Lovecraft to Ligotti, and their fictional visions of cosmic despair were articulating the same things as certain nihilist and pessimist philosophers, but with more poetry and art and vision. And then I found that this level of bleakness went arm-in-arm with the genre of noir, and that aspects of the weird fiction I loved could be used to puncture and punctuate aspects of the noir genre that I loved. I mean, what could be harder, more unforgivingly noir than Thomas Ligotti's vision of what the human race is? But I suppose I've been overly wary of having people define Cohle solely based on the philosophy he espouses in the first three episodes, because the truth is that the whole of his character and his journey is much more complex than that. Having said that, if this leads people to discover and explore Ligotti's work, then I'll be very happy. And for the record; I don't personally share those philosophies, but one of the reasons Ligotti is an important literary writer is because it's important for us to confront the potential of the true abyss, its possibility, and I can't really think of a contemporary writer who can define that abyss as well as Ligotti.

I read “The Conspiracy Against the Human Race” and found it incredibly powerful writing. For me as a reader, it was less impactful as philosophy than as one writer’s ultimate confessional: an absolute horror story, where the self is the monster. In episode one [of "True Detective"] there are two lines in particular (and it would have been nothing to re-word them) that were specifically phrased in such a way as to signal Ligotti admirers. Which, of course, you got.

The philosophy Cohle promotes in the show’s earliest episodes is a kind of anti-natalist nihilism, and in that regard all cats should be unbagged: “Confessions of an Antinatalist,” “Nihil Unbound,” “In the Dust of this Planet,” “Better to Have Never Been,” and lots of Cioran were all on the reading list. This is before I came out to Hollywood, but I knew that in my next work I would have a detective who was (or thought he was) a nihilist. I’d already been reading E.M. Cioran for years and consider him one of my all-time favorite and, oddly, most nourishing writers. As an aphorist, Cioran has no rivals other than perhaps Nietzsche, and many of his philosophies are echoed by Ligotti. But Ligotti is far more disturbing than Cioran, who is actually very funny. In exploring these philosophies, nobody I’ve read has expressed the idea of humanity as aberration more powerfully than Cioran and Ligotti.

Awesome cast, season 2 looks like it's going to be great. I think the actors know of some of their perception so hope they can prove everyone wrong.

Longish THR interview/profile:

- 'True Detective's' Nic Pizzolatto on Season 2, 'Stupid Criticism' and Rumors of On-Set Drama
The Emmy-nominated auteur rebels against sophomore-season expectations for his HBO drama while insisting he doesn't let critics dictate the show's direction: "I'm not in the service business."

iQ7yi3F.jpg

Permanently A

At least worth a shot? I guess try 3-4 episodes and see how you feel about it. It's only 8 episodes long (the season has a self-contained story that ends in 8 episodes. Next season will be a new cast/story). But if you get 4 episodes in and just absolutely loathe it, then I guess move on.

Not every show is for everyone I guess.

Finished it. Doesn't compare to Breaking Bad or the Wire for me. It was alright.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nic_Pizzolatto_Embed_Three%20copy.jpg

Not sure if Pizzaman... or promo for new CW drama.

If I had photoshop skills I would insert quotes from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace over pictures of Pizzolatto. I love the show, but this is too funny to not pass up.

Top 5 quotes that remind me of the PIzza man:

"We're doing all we can. but I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now."

"All I do, is sit down at the typewriter, and start hittin' the keys. Getting them in the right order, that's the trick. That's the trick."

"You know everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce, direct, act, paint. Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift."

"I think what this episode shows above all is that the human spirit cannot be overcome. You know, as a writer, if you took away my paper, I would write on my heart. If you take away my ink, I'd write on the wind. (Pauses) It wouldn't be an ideal way to work."

"I drew deep draughts of inspiration from the dyke of my dreams. Other times I copied the plots from dead authors on whose work the copyright had lapsed. (Shrugs) Bite me."

If I had photoshop skills I would insert quotes from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace over pictures of Pizzolatto. I love the show, but this is too funny to not pass up.

"We're doing all we can. but I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now."

"All I do, is sit down at the typewriter, and start hittin' the keys. Getting them in the right order, that's the trick. That's the trick."

"You know everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce, direct, act, paint. Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift."

"I think what this episode shows above all is that the human spirit cannot be overcome. You know, as a writer, if you took away my paper, I would write on my heart. If you take away my ink, I'd write on the wind. (Pauses) It wouldn't be an ideal way to work."

"I drew deep draughts of inspiration from the dyke of my dreams. Other times I copied the plots from dead authors on whose work the copyright had lapsed. (Shrugs) Bite me."

Perfect.

Tugatrix

I didn't know that TV show but now I'll take a look

Mononoke

Banned
Finished it. Doesn't compare to Breaking Bad or the Wire for me. It was alright.

Well then.

I basically agree, although I think it had the potential to be. The acting/cinematography was amazing. I just think the story and the themes don't completely come together as well as it could have. I guess when I made my post about people considering as good as the Wire and Breaking Bad, I should have clarified that was the sentiment as the show was airing. It wasn't until the final run of episodes (and post-finale), that I think a lot of people started to back away from praising True Detective.

Still, I think this show does some things really well. And I still think it was worth watching.

Fjordson

Lmfao! I'm dyin. <3 Garth.

Especially "All I do, is sit down at the typewriter, and start hittin' the keys. Getting them in the right order, that's the trick. That's the trick."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom