• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

All true things, but seriously about that video I posted earlier, it's pretty good stuff. Even if you think Pizzolatto is a total asshole who's too full of himself, he makes for an interesting interview. And Dan Harmon is a total goofball, which is also fun.

big ander

All true things, but seriously about that video I posted earlier, it's pretty good stuff. Even if you think Pizzolatto is a total asshole who's too full of himself, he makes for an interesting interview. And Dan Harmon is a total goofball, which is also fun.

I've had this video in my bookmarks for like 2 months now and I know it's the kind of video that's just gonna stay there. theoretically I'm very interested in an hour conversation between Harmon and Pizzorenghi. practically? not as much

Zeliard

I've had this video in my bookmarks for like 2 months now and I know it's the kind of video that's just gonna stay there. theoretically I'm very interested in an hour conversation between Harmon and Pizzorenghi. practically? not as much

In all honesty, it's a very good interview. Harmon keeps things light and Pizzorenghi offers up some very good answers to the questions posed. Call it pretentious or not but he keeps it real, and does exactly what you want an interview subject to ultimately do, which is remain engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9Bfl042wA

CrankyJay

Banned
Finished. Quality show. Gave me chills and tense as fuck. My respect for MM went through the roof. Never really cared for him as an actor before this bit holy shit. He was absolutely incredible.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Finished. Quality show. Gave me chills and tense as fuck. My respect for MM went through the roof. Never really cared for him as an actor before this bit holy shit. He was absolutely incredible.

did the same for me, altho I had already seen him in Killer Joe and left a big impression. Guy can act

Honestly, I have no problem with an artist being a ego-driven asshole at times. So long as pizza man produces good shows like this he'll get a pass from me. I mean, he's not hitting Kanye-levels yet.

The Garth Marenghi shit was just cause I saw an opportunity for a joke and went for it. Either way, it doesn't really sour my attitude on his work or anything.

I'll watch that interview later.

big ander

Honestly, I have no problem with an artist being a ego-driven asshole at times. So long as pizza man produces good shows like this he'll get a pass from me. I mean, he's not hitting Kanye-levels yet.

The Garth Marenghi shit was just cause I saw an opportunity for a joke and went for it. Either way, it doesn't really sour my attitude on his work or anything.

I'll watch that interview later.

In all seriousness: me either. I still think season 1 is great and 2 has the potential to be great too. he just makes it so easy to make fun of him

Fjordson

In all honesty, it's a very good interview. Harmon keeps things light and Pizzorenghi offers up some very good answers to the questions posed. Call it pretentious or not but he keeps it real, and does exactly what you want an interview subject to ultimately do, which is remain engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9Bfl042wA
This was great. Perfect to have someone funny like Harmon interviewing someone as serious as Pizza man. Though even he's somewhat funny in this interview.

Hearing him describing the writing process just reminds me how impressive what he did was. Not that he's the only writer to do something like it, but to pump out 8 episodes all by himself in a vacuum and have them be as good as Season 1 was. Mad respect.

I'll be really interested in seeing how he comes back with Season 2. I have faith in his abilities, but all the expectations on top of the actual writing task must be tough. I'd be a total wreck from the pressure if I was in that position.

Braag

Same here. After watching True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club I have a lot of respect for him. I can't wait to see his performance in Interstellar.

And I'm sad there still hasn't been any solid news of S2 :(

No, I don't have updated casting news, but while we're digging through the couch cushions for tidbits on S2:

- Variety: ‘True Detective’ Season 2 Plot ‘Not as Dark’ as First Season, Says HBO Boss
Season 2 of HBO’s critically acclaimed drama “True Detective” won’t be quite as dark as the first, according to HBO programming president Michael Lombardo, who spoke Thursday at the Guardian Intl, Television Festival in Edinburgh.

Again scripted by creator Nic Pizzolatto the season will feature a new story and cast of characters, led by three cops — a woman and two men, said Lombardo, according to HuffPost UK. But just because the new story isn’t necessarily as dark as the first, don’t expect it to be all sunshine and rainbows, either.

“It’s still dark,” Lombardo said at the festival. “Nic explores the darkness in people’s souls. … It’s not as dark, but it’s not a light ride. Nic likes looking into the crevices of the soul.”

Filming is expected to begin in September in California, and while the first season’s episodes were directed exclusively by Cary Fukunaga (who earned a directing Emmy nomination), the second season’s duties will be split among multiple helmers, according to Lombardo.

The network has yet to confirm any cast members for the new season, but a number of potential names have been rumored in conjunction with the roles, including Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch.
We should have casting confirmations sometime soon if they're filming in September.

duckroll

Hopefully we get an update within the next couple of weeks confirming the cast and some of the directors. The suspense is killing me!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The darkness was really what made the show so good... But sure, show me something new.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hopefully it doesn't hold back that much on the dark tones. That was one of the better aspects of the first season. I need another "You should probably just kill yourself" Rust moment.

Tugatrix

"Calafornea" it is, hot californian sun it's a flat circle who is hard on our bodies and souls, while we desperately wait for relief for our pain of waiting for more True Detective darkness...

I guess I'm alone in this -especially in this thread- but I found this show to be incredibly boring in parts. Admittedly, I marathoned everything on blu-ray, but it seemed like certain scenes were unquestionably fantastic (like the long shot with the motorcycle gang), while a lot of other scenes seemed very self-indulgent. Still, I look forward to a second season... I hope it ends far better than the first though.

Frog-fu

Banned
Not entirely related, but Matthe McConaughey gives awesome interviews. I watched a few regarding True Detective, but the's got some that are completely unrelated and hilarious.

Pollux

Damn it - every time this thread is bumped I'm hoping there is new casting information. And every time I'm disappointed...

Damn it - every time this thread is bumped I'm hoping there is new casting information. And every time I'm disappointed...
Same thing, But Emmy Awards is today, so i hope HBO will issue press release about how much Emmys True Detective won and announce season 2 cast.

bunch of TV nerds in here, making fun of pizza man referencing foreign tv shows i've never seen, making image macros I don't understand.
I thought they were his actual quotes

8MM was on HBO at like 1 am last night and I could help but watch after having not seen it in years. It reminded me a lot if True Detective just with how seedy and depressing everything was. Made me want a season with NicCage and Joaquin Phoenix (completely forgot he was in this) as the detectives.

8MM was on HBO at like 1 am last night and I could help but watch after having not seen it in years. It reminded me a lot if True Detective just with how seedy and depressing everything was. Made me want a season with NicCage and Joaquin Phoenix (completely forgot he was in this) as the detectives.

I'd definitely watch this.

Cage would be a great choice for a lead, I think.

Definitely pulling for TD tonight. Part of me wants Jon Hamm to finally get over the hump even though both Harrelson and McConaughey deserve the thing. But so does Cranston! That category is fucking brutal this year

Fjordson

Definitely pulling for TD tonight. Part of me wants Jon Hamm to finally get over the hump even though both Harrelson and McConaughey deserve the thing. But so does Cranston! That category is fucking brutal this year
Totally agree. Hamm is incredible as Don Draper (and I'd take that performance over Cranston's any day of the week) but I don't think he has a chance against McConaughey or Cranston.

Hopefully next year he will take it. Will be nice timing too for the last set of Mad Men episodes.

Jonm1010

Banned
Totally agree. Hamm is incredible as Don Draper (and I'd take that performance over Cranston's any day of the week) but I don't think he has a chance against McConaughey or Cranston.

Hopefully next year he will take it. Will be nice timing too for the last set of Mad Men episodes.

I think Hamm is a shoe in next year. Just a hunch. Unless another True Detective comes out of left field I feel like the Emmy people are going to give him one just to acknowledge the overall work he did.

Why would people find him an asshole? Just curious.

I think Hamm is a shoe in next year. Just a hunch. Unless another True Detective comes out of left field I feel like the Emmy people are going to give him one just to acknowledge the overall work he did.

That statement doesn't make sense to me. It's like you're saying "unless a show as good as True Detective comes out, I don't see the Emmy people giving it to True Detective".

Jonm1010

Banned
That statement doesn't make sense to me. It's like you're saying "unless a show as good as True Detective comes out, I don't see the Emmy people giving it to True Detective".

Sorry, posting from my phone.

What I meant to say was that I don't see anything currently on TV or on the horizon that will really challenge Hamm next year unless some incredible new show comes out of nowhere and grabs everyone by surprise like True Detective did this year. Plus I think the Emmy's know how deserving he is of recognition and how next year will be his last opportunity to get an Emmy for his work on Mad Men so I have a strong hunch he will get his Emmy next year.

Fjordson

I think he means another new show that quickly takes critics by storm the way season 1 of TD did.

edit: beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom