• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
109090-fuck-you-man-gif-imgur-true-de-kUxo.gif

Ashok

Banned
Wrong category. Breaking Bad was the best DRAMA of 2013. Great show tonight, and HBO was stupid for not submitting True Detective as a miniseries where it belonged.

jett

D-Member
Wrong category. Breaking Bad was the best DRAMA of 2013. Great show tonight, and HBO was stupid for not submitting True Detective as a miniseries where it belonged.

Pfft. True Detective actually had more episodes than Breaking Bad. :lol

edit: same amount of episodes actually, same difference.

Really should have been in Miniseries like AHS.

I can't blame them for going for broke considering the hand they were playing. I think I would have done the same, Breaking Bad be damned.

Don't get it twisted, I absolutely love Breaking Bad but to me True Detective felt like the beginning of a new era of television. I guess that would make Breaking Bad the crowning achievement of the previous era.

Damn you TD-GAF, getting me worked up over wrong intel.

That's actually pretty respectable, especially Directing. Really glad it won that one because that was one of the key things that made True Detective stand out from every other show.

Fjordson

Honestly, I think putting it in drama makes sense. Even with the losses this year. Now they have another 2-3 years at least of competing in that category and I have no doubt it'll win a decent amount.

Unless you can change a show's category from year to year? Not sure how that works.

Robbed how? Breaking Bad is an equally prestigious, acclaimed show. One great TV series beating out another isn't a robbery.

Also, none of these things mean anything anyway.
To me, it was a truly great season of TV losing out to a fairly good one. I like Breaking Bad fine, but that last season was in no way great to me.

And to the bolded, well, of course. I'm just shootin' the shit on GAF breh.

It also received Emmys for Casting, Makeup for a single-camera series (non-prosthetic), Main Title Design, and Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series
Oh wow, nice! The dude posting the winners in the topic didn't list any of these, my bad.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't disagree with the Emmy's. I mean, I had deep issues with the ending, and one episode was really weak in the season, the one where they're basically just going over everything everyone already basically knew but we have to sit through it so we can see the characters actually catch up to where the audience already was. After they meet up again after that long hiatus and start re-investigating the case again. And I thought some of the exchange between Rust and the killer were reaally cheesy in the final episode.

Definitely would be close in my mind, maybe #2 of the year. Very very close. I loved so much else about True Detective, but it would probably just miss out for me.

duckroll

I think anything that's going to be voted on by human beings will take things into consideration beyond the the actual boundaries. You can try to mitigate that as much as possible but it'll still be hard. Just like how juries work. In the end, we're talking about the final season of an acclaimed series. People are going to gravitate towards that. It is as much a vote for the final season itself, as it is a vote for the overall show and the accomplishment of finishing it. Return of the King won for the same reasons at the Oscars, even though that was the most bloated of the trilogy.

Blader

Unless you can change a show's category from year to year? Not sure how that works.

No idea if it's allowed or not, but they'd never take it down to miniseries in following years, especially now. That would be a very public admission of "we're going for the easy win this time."

To me, it was a truly great season of TV losing out to a fairly good one. I like Breaking Bad fine, but that last season was in no way great to me.

That's fine, I'm just saying, it's not as if some objectively worse show beat out TD for anything, which is what I'd considered robbed. If one great show wins out over a similarly great show -- even if they're completely 1:1 in their greatness -- then that seems pretty fair to me.

Obviously I mean the seasons the voters were supposed to judge on.

No one actually thinks like that though, especially for the final season of something as widely revered as BB. There's no way you can watch those last 8 episodes, the culmination of a six-year story, and just block out from your mind everything that came before it.

Fjordson

I think anything that's going to be voted on by human beings will take things into consideration beyond the the actual boundaries. You can try to mitigate that as much as possible but it'll still be hard. Just like how juries work. In the end, we're talking about the final season of an acclaimed series. People are going to gravitate towards that. It is as much a vote for the final season itself, as it is a vote for the overall show and the accomplishment of finishing it. Return of the King won for the same reasons at the Oscars, even though that was the most bloated of the trilogy.
For sure. Part of BB's win was a lifetime achievement award. Just human nature when voting on this sort of thing.

duckroll

I said this in the other thread, but HBO (or the creator) made some baffling nomination choices. At the end of the day, the Emmy's are very strategic in what they put forth in nominations. HBO (or the creator) took a gamble taking Breaking Bad's final season head on. And even taking that risk, they didn't make the best nominations.

Emmy's are based on single episode nominations for a lot of these things. And BB had much stronger nominations in this regard. I mean hell, I thought Woody's episode nomination was better than MM's nomination (which was the finale, which wasn't even his best performance in the series).

That said, you are right there is always human subjectivity, as well as outside factors (such as voters voting on popularity or not having even seen the other nominees, but going with what they think is the most well known).

I think putting True Detective in the Drama category over the Miniseries one was a risk but also a respectable move. HBO is showing that they feel it is a show which stands up with the competition, and win or lose, it will always have been a contender with those shows. In the end saying that you lost to the final season of Breaking Bad isn't really anything to be ashamed of.

I don't think their single episode nominations were bad though. They nominated episode 5 for writing, and that's definitely the strongest narrative episode. Universally praised for how it handled the passing of the years, and the changes between the characters. They nominated episode 4 for direction and cinematography, and it won in both. That's also definitely the strongest episode in terms of technical direction. The single-shot scene was something people wouldn't stop talking about.

I really fail to see what was baffling about their nomination decisions!

I said this in the other thread, but HBO (or the creator) made some baffling nomination choices. At the end of the day, the Networks are very strategic in what they put forth in nominations. HBO (or the creator) took a gamble taking Breaking Bad's final season head on. And even taking that risk, they didn't make the best nomination choices.

Emmy's are based on single episode nominations for a lot of these things. And BB had much stronger nominations in this regard. I mean hell, I thought Woody's episode nomination was better than MM's nomination (the finale, which wasn't even his best performance in the series).

As I picture some Emmy voters watching nominated episodes without having seen the preceding episodes, I can feel all of the fucks given about these awards evaporating...

Mononoke

Banned
I think putting True Detective in the Drama category over the Miniseries one was a risk but also a respectable move. HBO is showing that they feel it is a show which stands up with the competition, and win or lose, it will always have been a contender with those shows. In the end saying that you lost to the final season of Breaking Bad isn't really anything to be ashamed of.

I don't think their single episode nominations were bad though. They nominated episode 5 for writing, and that's definitely the strongest narrative episode. Universally praised for how it handled the passing of the years, and the changes between the characters. They nominated episode 4 for direction and cinematography, and it won in both. That's also definitely the strongest episode in terms of technical direction. The single-shot scene was something people wouldn't stop talking about.

I really fail to see what was baffling about their nomination decisions!

You thought MM's best acting was in the finale? Fair enough point about the other nominations (I guess I was generalizing, when it was really only that one I found baffling). And yeah, I don't have an issue with them going in the drama category either. But they definitely would have swept Mini Series. I agree it's respectable that they would rather give up a bunch of awards, and go for the main category instead (if they were to win at all).

duckroll

You thought MM's best acting was in the finale? Fair enough point about the other nominations (I guess I was generalizing, when it was really on that one I found baffling).

Acting and Best Series nominations are not per episode. Everything else is.

Mononoke

Banned
Acting and Best Series nominations are not per episode. Everything else is.

Are you sure? When the nominations were first made, the actors had a specific episode listed by their name. Also, I've read on various sites:

For most individual achievement categories, only one episode is required to be submitted; if an episode is a two-parter, both parts may be included on the submitted DVD.

For acting categories, the individual who is nominated selects an episode from the latest season that they feel displays their best performance.

Also check out Breaking Bad's awards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Breaking_Bad

The actors have the episode that was submitted listed. When the nominations first came out, they listed Cranston and Gunn as being nominated for "Ozymandias" and MM for "Form and Void", Woody had a different episode. I'm pretty sure actor performances are based on single episode submissions, even if they aren't listed in the actual award at the show.

So I still think it was a mistake to submit Form and Void for MM vs a better episode. Especially if Cranston had Ozymandias as his submission.

I don't agree that HBO made a mistake by swinging for the drama category, but okay... the finale was literally the worst they could have picked for McConaughey. I happen to think it's the only episode where his performance isn't flawless.

duckroll

I can assure you that when people are voting for Best Lead Actor in a major series everyone is talking about, most if not all of them have seen the entire series and would be basing it on the overall performance (or whatever other biases they might have). In the case of many of the other awards, the reason attaching an episode is important is because many shows have different directors and staff on the various departments from episode to episode. This doesn't apply to True Detective in particular, but it does have an impact because of how the industry views work on a series.

I don't think McConaughey lost because HBO might have submitted the finale along with the nomination submission. That is just a technicality. I think that McConaughey lost because he already won an Oscar earlier this year, and more voters decided to pay tribute to Cranston's work on Breaking Bad as a whole. It's understandable.

Mononoke

Banned
I can assure you that when people are voting for Best Lead Actor in a major series everyone is talking about, most if not all of them have seen the entire series and would be basing it on the overall performance (or whatever other biases they might have). In the case of many of the other awards, the reason attaching an episode is important is because many shows have different directors and staff on the various departments from episode to episode. This doesn't apply to True Detective in particular, but it does have an impact because of how the industry views work on a series.

I don't think McConaughey lost because HBO might have submitted the finale along with the nomination submission. That is just a technicality. I think that McConaughey lost because he already won an Oscar earlier this year, and more voters decided to pay tribute to Cranston's work on Breaking Bad as a whole. It's understandable.

Well, I was just going off of how the process is to submit it. Can't say I disagree with you. You are right, it's probably just a "formality" to get on the ballot, rather than what they are actually voted on.

So fair enough point. Guess I'll just edit out my post, as it's kind of meaningless.

duckroll

Heh, I suppose they wouldn't make an exception considering they'll have to completely overhaul the main titles for its next season, would they?

I don't think they will have a problem. It's a category for the first year of that title's usage. If the main titles change, they can be nominated again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom