• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polytron Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
@mcclure111
Let's create an open movement/community bound only by self identification
*someone does something bad in your name*
THEY'RE NOT WITH US!

you don't get to call yourselves anonymous and have that sort of organizational structure and then whine when people do bad things with your name.

Actually, you kinda do. Kinda the big perk and draw to that organizational structure, really. Regardless of your thoughts on it and if you like it or not, that's how that organizational structure works. Unless they decide to lose their anonymity by stepping forth and showing proof it was them, or if they get caught, they can claim it's not them, and no one can say that it is them with absolute certainty.

MormaPope

Banned
You know the goofiest and saddest part about all of this?

Somebody's ex-boyfriend started all of this. One ex was able to create a shitnado.

Kyou

I don't like Phil Fish at all but you'd have to be insane to find this just or funny. God damn. That is some serious-ass doxxing.

Thing I would find funny if it happened to a douchebag: A car drives by and splashes water on them

Thing I would not find funny if it happened to a douchebag: Having their life systematically taken apart for standing up for a friend

@mcclure111
THEY'RE NOT WITH US!

you don't get to call yourselves anonymous and have that sort of organizational structure and then whine when people do bad things with your name.

If a few people that browse Gaf often or heck if even one person decides to pull something like this and claims it gi be in the name of Gaf, does that mean this while forum is bad? Of course not.

Now clearly, 4chan is a worse community but saying the website as a whole is reponsible is kind of reaching. Head over to v, most people are as confused as we are here

It looks they got a lot of their info. Why only hack the Polytron twitter? Why not their personal accounts as well? Something seems fishy.

The Polytron twitter was to spread the news of the hack. It's possible they have more than that and aren't acting on it on purpose.

JABEE

While these criminals might only be few in number, we do need to do our part to quell this rising movement against those that would dare to bring up uncomfortable issues in gaming. Anyone who's looked into the replies of any twitter message by Zoe knows that they are not that small in number, and it's our responsibility to counterbalance against the puerile hatred.

And for anyone still using the term "SJW" unironically, cut it out. Like, right now. Seriously.

There also has to be a balance between shutting off all critical function and promoting people to feel comfortable enough to speak out. Good ideas are difficult to shape and nurture without an environment where people can criticize and question things. There is a huge difference between this and abuse that you will find on the Twitter accounts of public figures.

Matriox

You guys aren't following the conservation. I was talking to another poster, whom mentioned he couldn't feel empathy for Phil because he's was an arrogant a hole, using their words.

I retorted mentioning, that how can you feel about someone like without knowing them. I never understood that. I personally feel bad for Phil in this situation.

I apologize then for my response. It was a glance at the comment that threw me off, but even after reading who you were responding to I felt like it was a shot at both being riled up in support of phil or riled up to sacrifice him. Again, I apologize for misreading into that and throwing it at you.

Oh my god...someone is sharing screenshots of the kind of files that were shared by the hacker:

This is making me sick to my stomache.

Oh my god...someone is sharing screenshots of the kind of files that were leaked by the hacker in that .zip file:

uxKtLOp.png
5WZMBzD.png
IrMfKRz.png
DUCH7SF.png
X1Ko4Wx.png
mO4n7zo.png
5VnHo74.png
XF6SDVM.png
e8gYr4k.png
nwcKzea.png
PZxRffE.png
QgR0vGi.png
ZKr3ReV.png
vTNHdRi.png
qZijznA.png
RUSjEwK.png
ubWGku8.png

Mxrz

I don't get how people can go out, deal with real crap like paying taxes, bills, etc. but then turn around and still care about whatever bullshit has them so rustled.

Really need to start prosecuting people that pull this stuff. ddos, cyberbulling, all of it. Throw 'em in a federal pen for a few months.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It could be considered a hobby, but I think labeling it that intentionally is very misleading. Saying something like "wow my hobby is fucked up" versus "wow this industry is fucked up" mean two completely different things. I might actually make a thread about this just to see what word people prefer as to avoid derailing this one.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I was just reading on GAF that more women than men game now, so we really need to stop these females and their war against Phil Fish.

Qassim

I reckon they accessed his primary email, either by guessing the password, socially engineering support staff to get the password reset on his primary email, or something along those lines. Another method (if the primary email is a domain account, not a free one like Gmail) is getting access to the domain control panel and redirecting the email to another account you control.

Once you have access to someone's "primary" email account, you start going to websites like 1Password, KeePass, LastPass, Amazon, etc and requesting password resets, and suddenly you have access to the lot.

This is why you need a separate "password reset" email account you only use for password resets, and you never, ever, ever record the details anywhere, not even in a password manager.

Small correction. 1password isn't a website, it's an encrypted database that you hold locally and sync between devices (with a service like Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, etc), you can't reset your master password in any way. If you lose it, you lose your database.

It's sort of why I prefer the 1Password method to some of the other methods.

AppleMIX

Yeah, I hate Phil but this is just insane.

Eh, could be a group of people who frequent /v/ and think they represent them because HOLY INTERNET CRUSADE.

Pretty much this. 4chan has a lot of visitors and /v/ is the second most popular board.

To put it in perspective.

This is on 4chan's advertising page.

Page impressions per month: 540,000,000
Unique visitors per month: 20,000,000
Posts per day: 1,000,000
Alexa Traffic Rank: 988 (Global) & 499 (US)
Google PageRank: 6

Ryaaan14

Banned
Thing I would find funny if it happened to a douchebag: A car drives by and splashes water on them

Thing I would not find funny if it happened to a douchebag: Having their life systematically taken apart for standing up for a friend

Yup. Pretty much.

Wiktor

Well..those hackers sure acomplished what seemed impossible - they made most gamers start to feel sympathy for Phil Fish again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If it is a fake dox it wouldn't have to be the victim doing it. It could in theory be a game between hackers representing various organizations. I don't have much trouble picturing a bored hacker with a botnet taking down a website, posting a bunch of fake information, and then pretending to be /v/ just to spite /v/, or some crazy inception shit like /v/ pretending to be /v/ to make it look like it isn't /v/ after all.

Or a triple false flagging where people think /v/ pretends to do something as /v/ but people see it as /v/ actually the ones doing it because it's too obvious when in fact it's not /v/.

BearPawB

Banned
If a few people that browse Gaf often or heck if even one person decides to pull something like this and claims it gi be in the name of Gaf, does that mean this while forum is bad? Of course not.

Now clearly, 4chan is a worse community but saying the website as a whole is reponsible is kind of reaching. Head over to v, most people are as confused as we are here

Gaf isn't known for this kind of thing.

Looks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck, People are gonna think it's a duck

Cat Party

The information that was stolen is the type that will have the FBI and Canada's equivalent very much involved. These are major federal crimes here. The people behind this hack are going to get caught.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh my god...someone is sharing screenshots of the kind of files that were leaked by the hacker in that .zip file:

Okay, so it seems like they just hacked his laptop or something and he had all his data stored on it.

I was worried it was a more sophisticated attack, like they got his information from banks, the govt. etc. etc.

See that would be insane.

I feel better now because I don't store any financial info on my PC.

All my passwords, only because firefox stores them as plaintext.

Goddard

I don't get how people can go out, deal with real crap like paying taxes, bills, etc. but then turn around and still care about whatever bullshit has them so rustled.

Really need to start prosecuting people that pull this stuff. ddos, cyberbulling, all of it. Throw 'em in a federal pen for a few months.

The problem is that generally speaking, anyone who is savvy enough to hack a decently sized website is probably savvy enough to hide their identity. That isn't to say it won't happen of course, this is some serious shit.

Since when did we lose our ability to have opinions? This is escalating differences far too much. Even if some find Phil Fish's personality and stance on issues to be disagreeable.

Why not use these hacking skills for good instead.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
@mcclure111
THEY'RE NOT WITH US!

This is why I dislike Anon. No accountability and always hiding behind the name, even if they may or may not be part of Anon.

To me, anyone that does stupid shit like this in the name of Anon, is Anon to me.

Anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet, did I just blow your minds?

And the idea behind 4chan having no identification or usernames is so that you dont see a user you dislike and immediately dismiss it, without actually reading the post. It's actually a great thing during certain discussions.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
=[
That's... wow. That's saddening. That's everything. Can't imagine trying to sleep when something like this happens. What's even the process you go through?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh god, I hope Phil doesn't do something stupid. I'm not a fan of dude at all but this can drive someone off the cliff. This is just some other shit, completely unnecessary, and places Phil in harm's way. I already have a feeling the dude is very unstable, and this can't help.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Okay, so it seems like they just hacked his laptop or something and he had all his data stored on it.

I was worried it was a more sophisticated attack, like they got his information from banks, the govt. etc. etc.

See that would be insane.

I feel better now because I don't store any financial info on my PC.

All my passwords, only because firefox stores them as plaintext.

They had posted his SSN, bank info, paypal password, home address and a ton of other crap right on the hacked front page.

Which is why MFA exists and to have it on your primary email account is absolutely vital, and if password management services have MFA, people should use it. It's not necessarily complete safety, but the deterrence factor is huge.
I agree, and use multi-factor authentication on both my primary email and password manager, but think having a separate email address for password reset purposes (also with multi-factor authentication) on a different, free email service is probably about as safe as you're going to get without going completely overboard.

Of course, any multi-factor service that uses email is prone to the same issues.

Small correction. 1password isn't a website, it's an encrypted database that you hold locally and sync between devices
Ahh, thanks for the correction. LastPass is a web-hosted thing which sends an encrypted file the website/application/extension decrypts locally, so sort of a hosted version of the same thing. A little more convenience for a little less security compared to 1Password.

Adam Sessler ‏@AdamSessler 4h

I'm sitting in a bar with Zoe watching these hack attempts going down live. Don't be fooled, this is a war on indie devs. Enable 2-step.

Goddard

Anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet, did I just blow your minds?

And the idea behind 4chan having no identification or usernames is so that you dont see a user you dislike and immediately dismiss it, without actually reading the post. It's actually a great thing during certain discussions.

I think the idea of being anonymous on the internet is quite a bit more fundamental than just trying to keep posters from dismissing each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom