• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, which OP is it? Is it the original OP, all CG version, or the OP from the terrestrial TV broadcast? Excuse the quality of these videos...

Looks like it's time to listen to Inner Universe again!
The second video is region blocked for me.
RahXephon :D
While not a bad choice at all, that certainly doesn't help me narrow down why you think Stand Alone Complex looks so bad.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Ep. 2

A compelling story hampered by the runtime and a lot of telling while not showing. Also the fanservice shots (while limited to roughly two moments) were really out of place and distracting. :|

Aria: The Animation 05

ZisXVQK.png

Obligatory all female cast swimsuit episode.

I think I just wasn't prepared for episode 4's story, I'm liking episode 5 a lot more. We get to explore more of this terraformed Mars and discover there is sea life within the vast ocean. It was briefly mentioned that you could no longer swim in Earth's oceans so I have to wonder if the planet is now some desolate wasteland.

The story of nostalgia and how soon we forget our childlike memories of fairy tales was great. Memories we have long forgotten suddenly come back to haunt us with the littlest familiarity. There are some things I wish I could forget.

cajunator

Banned
Elfen Lied 8-10

I just want to give Young Lucy a hug....if I knew I would live >.>

Same. Diclonius are really cute and I would totally hug the poor girls if they werent so damned deadly. Also this definitely explains the society in From the New World.

So what did people here think of Speed Grapher?

Well the dvds didnt have Duran durans song, the show is forgettable anx I spent 10 bucks on the series and felt that was a bit much. I literally cannot remember much detail about it.

fertygo

While not a bad choice at all, that certainly doesn't help me narrow down why you think Stand Alone Complex looks so bad.

FLCL also great choice, early 2000s in general is just ugly all around with the transition to Digital.. my biggest problem with SAC is its character design, some ignorant will shouting "b-b-b-but adult character!, no moeshit etc" but SAC's character design especially the male character is filled with wrinkle mess, bad attempt to emulating the old film detailed look.

SAC also filled with CG, if you think today CGI is bad imagine CGI from 2003!

I still love Tachikomas tho.

cajunator

Banned
I've just noticed she looks like a very moe cockroach.

yeah she does!

So I started watching No Game No Life.

3 episodes in and it started off a bit annoying with some loli bullshit but that has since gone away and things have become interesting.

right around there it takes off pretty well. Some of Blanks victories are impossibly well planned but its a lot of fun seeing how they win no matter what they are presented with. People will also tell you best girl hasnt arrived yet. Youll know when she arrives.
as for the loli stuff, try to ignore that.

Majimoji Rurumo 7
This episode was pretty good. I actually didn't know the guy that did Yowamushi Pedal did this too... Talk about catering to different audiences.

1017682_10200224922324430_1833045196_n.jpg

hnnnnnngh

Fate/Zero 13

Now with new OP!

Ok, that was awesome. BERSERKER WITH A FIGHTER JET!

Wait, is he saying what I think he's saying?
Goodbye Lancer?

This episode showed one of Berserkers redeeming moments. Fantastic scene of badassery. Wish he was always that cool. Hes better than FSN berserker who was just a roid rage.

cajunator

Banned
Prescription Grade List-erine time!

1391790664470.jpg

Yami 11

ARE WE JUST GONNA IGNORE THOSE FUCKING TENTACLE VINES ATTACKING YOU?

lol this show's outfits lol...

LOL what are your air-hoses made of paper

you seem pretty calm almost seeing your girlfriend die.

you don't re-enter inverted lol noobs

awww yeah finally wacky time

all this motherfucking dramatic dancing

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!"

THEY FINALLY MEET lol

muh hat

"HATSUMI!" "JILL!" "EVE!" "DONKEY!"

School Days 10

holy fucking shit did Second-Banana-kun really do that

artworks-000045208643-vh63ah-t200x200.jpg

what a way to open an episode

the shark is circling!

so you have a spine against Setsuna but not agai----

WHOA WHAT THE FUCK SETSUNA WHAT THE FUCKING FUCKING

350x700px-LL-590f10fe_1337120020502.jpeg

it's too late, boyo

GODFUCKING damn this like purposefully picking ever wrong move ever like, levels of utter insanity are off the motherfucking charts

Oh that's some hamfisted foreshadowing bullshit

YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING TOOL

HOLY SHIT

WHAT DO YOU ALL FUCKING SEE IN THIS MONSTER I DON'T UNDERSTAND

WHAT IS WITH THIS FUCKING SCHOOL JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I KNOW THOSE EYES HERE WE GO COMRADES

Bko11XnIgAATVbJ.jpg:large

Goodnight, GAF

you are taking a mightily powerful dose of the list but I admire your courage.
You will also be reaching both shows climactic points near the same time and it might be pretty spectacular.

Hokuto no Ken 1-35

This is so over the top lol

fb0.jpg

You just don't know it yet.

Most manly anime? Also it reminds me of Fallout 3, did they copy this

MUmcCke.png

cajunator

Banned
I'm still relatively new to the anime scene and the only writers I know by name are Urobuchi and Anno. You could definitely see the Urobuchi style in the first episode but I didn't know he was taking the back seat for Aldnoah. I also haven't seen any mecha besides Evangelion and TTGL. If the mecha genre is closer to Aldnoah than it is the two mentioned previously I doubt it's worth my time.

Learn Okada. Live Okada!
Also Kawamori hehee.

I fundamentally agree but it's fairly well known that your work has to feature characters that resemble your target demographic (or at least what appeals to said demographic), so anime will forever be stuck in it's teens.

While thats true in terms of preferencs, the target demographic are no longer in their teens (may not have ever been)

Until I get my anime about a widow dad who rediscovers a passion for music and starts playing jazz where he slowly becomes big around the country and jazz scene around the world and eventually finds love again in a divorced business woman with 2 teenage kids who hate their father, I won't be truly satisfied. And if they want to keep it anime, they can introduce a talking animal I guess.

Well that or KyoAni dropping all the bullshit, and making my Harry Potter anime with sweet magic battles.

Have you seen Piano? You might like it. Its a bit melodramatic though.

Anime's biggest spenders are manchildren with disposable income but very narrow tastes. That's the problem.

Heylo!
Well ok so my tastes arent so narrow :)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Rebellion

So yeah, I quite liked this. Maybe that'll change as I reflect more on the film and read things but for now I can say that. One aspect I'm already having mixed feelings about is the
yuri (over/under)tones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think it does. The comic book industry is totally dying, which is why they're turning to movies instead. Movies which target a much broader audience than the original comics do.
Well, there's still no female or non-white heroes leading their movies though precisely because they don't have faith that the audience will accept it.
(But I guess Captain America 2 is really a Black Widow movie.)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari

So yeah, I quite liked this. Maybe that'll change as I reflect more on the film and read things but for now I can say that.
The best movie of 2013 after Gravity.

Narag

Well, there's still no female or non-white heroes leading their movies though precisely because they don't have faith that the audience will accept it.
(But I guess Captain America 2 is really a Black Widow movie.)

Isn't there a Wonder Woman movie coming? Also hoping the Black Panther and Captain Marvel movie rumors pan out to help address that concern on the MCU side of things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh right, I keep forgetting about Jessica Jones and the other B-tier shows. (Poor Daredevil).

But if it's not part of the MCU, it almost doesn't count now. Sort of like She-Thor.

cajunator

Banned
Old fashion yellow subtitles are disgusting. They look horrendous.

just a remnant of the sd era. Yellow showed up better in lower definition. White works just fine now that most stuff is hd.

The entire libe is 1/10 :(

The size doesnt matter.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Rebellion

So yeah, I quite liked this. Maybe that'll change as I reflect more on the film and read things but for now I can say that. One aspect I'm already having mixed feelings about is the
yuri (over/under)tones.

I am honestly surprised you liked the movie but Im glad.

Madoka Rebellion spoilers

(This isn't a response to anything you said on the film.) I think
Homura's dream world was also meant to reflect the wishes of the viewer/fanbase. Which is an easy interpretation to make and a low hanging fruit as far as analysis goes. The increased fanservice (both of the erotic and non-erotic varieties) definitely could support that. I would say it tried to have its cake and eat it too, but given how divisive opinions on the film have been it might have succeeded.

FLCL also great choice, early 2000s in general is just ugly all around with the transition to Digital.. my biggest problem with SAC is its character design, some ignorant will shouting "b-b-b-but adult character!, no moeshit etc" but SAC's character design especially the male character is filled with wrinkle mess, bad attempt to emulating the old film detailed look.

SAC also filled with CG, if you think today CGI is bad imagine CGI from 2003!

I still love Tachikomas tho.
I can agree with you on the character designs. Kusanagi's design is a downgrade, especially the outfit. As for the CGI, I don't think it's much worse than what we see in anime today. The industry hasn't exactly made great strides since 2002 as far as implementing it with a television production budget. Heck, Knights of Sidonia doesn't look all that great and that's a production with the budget primarily given to the CGI. (I say primarily because it isn't completely 3D with the frequent use of 2D backgrounds.)

cajunator

Banned
Actually my impression has been that its growing lately.

Movies have definitely given comics a new popularity. It has been growing but the last decade has really brought awareness to comic book heroes and stories more than ever.
I remember a decade ago working at a cinema and Reading the movie magazine that they get about the next several years emphasizing superheroes and comic book stories, starting with the spiderman and batman movies. It has been a phenomenal success.

School Days 2
Well this established that the main two are idiots but I was suprised that the girlfriend actually kissed him. Also" this new girl Kanou was introduces pretty awkwardly.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 2
Well this established that the main two are idiots but I was suprised that the girlfriend actually kissed him. Also" this new girl Kanou was introduces pretty awkwardly.

This series thrives on uncomfortable situations. You can see the minefield being set up episode by episode.

As much as I agree with the points in that, damn does it feel bad reading it.

I remember waiting for Rebellion and feeling so hyped. I couldn't wait for that thing to come out.

The it turns out to
take the franchise in a really less than favourable direction. I just hope that when a sequel does come out, it fixes that mess and finally puts an end to the Madoka Magica story forever.

Jarmel

Banned
Great OP, solid designs, interesting premise, lots of potential, really half-assed production effort by Gonzo which made a lot of the fights in the latter part of the series disappointing and underwhelming.

Didn't like it very much. The concept on paper seemed interesting. But in action just didn't resonate with me.

I'd say try 3 episodes and see where it gets you.

I liked it quite a bit when I watched it like 10 years ago, but the only thing I actually remember is the fight that involves a mirror which I loved.

Well the dvds didnt have Duran durans song, the show is forgettable anx I spent 10 bucks on the series and felt that was a bit much. I literally cannot remember much detail about it.

GIRLS ON FILM! SHE'S MORE THAN A LADY! GIRLS ON FILM!

Anime that started out decently with the dystopian world, then fumbled when it moved on to Monster of the Week for a bit, and then over-all just ended up being disappointing. The best aspect of the show imho was that it had a decent villain. I wouldn't watch it again personally.

But yeah I love the OP song.

Thanks for the impressions. I guess I was somewhat tempted to watch the show due to the premise but I'm not surprised considering Gonzo, that the execution was not up to par. I still might give it a whirl one of these days.

duckroll

Thanks for the impressions. I guess I was somewhat tempted to watch the show due to the premise but I'm not surprised considering Gonzo, that the execution was not up to par. I still might give it a whirl one of these days.

I'll put it this way - it's a show where the main character is a photographer who can blow stuff up (including people!) with his camera, the villains all have super cool powers based on fetishes, the main villain creates WINGS out of his BLOOD, it has Kozaki designs, Ishihama animation, and the premise is pretty no-holds-barred in terms of upper end adult content for a TV show. Yet in spite of ALL that, it didn't end up being very exciting. It takes some real (lack of) effort to create that result. :(

cajunator

Banned
As much as I agree with the points in that, damn does it feel bad reading it.

I remember waiting for Rebellion and feeling so hyped. I couldn't wait for that thing to come out.

The it turns out to
take the franchise in a really less than favourable direction. I just hope that when a sequel does come out, it fixes that mess and finally puts an end to the Madoka Magica story forever.

The direction it went is controversial but not a fault. Its basically down to whether people agree with it or not. The execution was quite good. Its a solid movie.

Midonin

Hanamonogatari - Suruga Devil

My original plan was to watch this one episode at a time during the week, but the Daisuki (and TV) release threw that off. I'm thinking it may have been for the better. While it can be experienced as a weekly serial, seeing a complete novel from the series animated in one go gives the story a more coherent feel, and draws out its themes in a much more noticeable way.

Rouka was an interesting counterpart to Suruga. She was focused on the idea of listening and doing nothing, escapism, and Suruga on taking action even with the risk. Like most of Monogatari, it's a simple concept expressed complexly. And then there are times where I'm not sure how much of it was metaphorical. Like when the basketball court flooded with water and the stands popped out. That was some pretty cool imagery. The twist that Rouka
had been dead the whole time
gave the entire story that feel that Monogatari has, and that I like seeing in my anime. Just not all the time. These things are good to think about, but only every once in a while.

It was an exciting ride. Both the OP and ED, reversed may they be, were nice songs, and the story both tied into what was going on during the Second Season while being pretty standalone. I'm looking forward to either Kizu or the final season of the anime, whichever one happens first.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We already had Animation Runner Kuromi like 15 years ago. These kind of industry meta-works protect themselves from spacetime breach by glamourizing even the inbetweening gruntwork and such. There's never been one that's been fully honest.

There is always episode 6 of Golden Boy...

Isn't there an anime about making anime next season? Still starring teenaged girls mind you.

They are?

Pretty sure the anime starts with the girls graduate from high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZR6fCnPcvA

Text: It started from a promise over donuts
Girls: Don-don donuts! Donuts, let's go!
Girl: We give all our dreams and hopes to anime! It was supposed to be a story where everything went perfectly well, but...
Text: It was supposed to be a story about girls who dedicated their life to animation...
Text: But now...
Aoi: I'm Aoi Miyamori, and my major is production!
Ema: I'm Ema Yasuhara, and I'm an animator.
Shizuka: I'm a new seiyuu named Shizuka Sakaki.
Misa: I'm Misa Tōdō, and I'm in charge of 3D CG.
Midori: I'm Midori Imai, and I'm a student. I'm aiming to become a writer.
Aoi: This story is about us five
Ema: And a lot of other people involved in animation,
Shizuka: Forced to learn about content cuts and pain, and the difference between ideals and reality, the girls forget the dreams they had begun to chase in the first place.
Misa: This influential work is now unveiled!
Midori: No! This is a thrilling and heart-warming story about all the people who work in the animation industry!
Midori: Come on, don't just stand there being amazed! The broadcasting day is right in front of us! We don't have any time to be standing still!
Aoi: Yeah! Now then... To all the people who work with animation production!
Ema: To the past, present and future of animation
Midori: And to all the people who love animation!
Shizuka: The wished-for second anime from P.A. Works about working girls! The 'now' of animation production is right here.
Girls: TV anime, SHIROBAKO! Broadcasting starts in October 2014! Look forward to it!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-shirobako-tv-anime-1st-promo-streamed/.77689

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Locodol 1

There's something really lo-fi, or should I say subdued, about this whole show's tone that was kinda suitable for an anime about being idols in the middle of nowhere.

It was kinda eh I guess. Dunno if I should continue.

fertygo

I'll put it this way - it's a show where the main character is a photographer who can blow stuff up (including people!) with his camera, the villains all have super cool powers based on fetishes, the main villain creates WINGS out of his BLOOD, it has Kozaki designs, Ishihama animation, and the premise is pretty no-holds-barred in terms of upper end adult content for a TV show. Yet in spite of ALL that, it didn't end up being very exciting. It takes some real (lack of) effort to create that result. :(

Shit, this is too cool to end up as nothing special :(
Someone like Ando need to copy that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom