• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ETTP: The Evil Within

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
(ETTP: Early To The Party)

On mobile at PAX, will spellcheck this and answer any questions when home.

At PAX Prime right now, one of my biggest goals this year is to play games, and the game I was most looking forward to playing was Evil Within. Horror game by father of the genre, Shinji Mikami, the game has gotten some mixed reception from those who have watched trailers and gameplay, from a mixture of janky problems with the builds of the game and bad showings, such as at PAX East.

The Evil Within has a demo playable at PAX Prime (the same demo at recent conventions I believe, just updated build from what I can tell), with a further Evil Within event happening on the night of Saturday (not sure what it entails but I shall attend). I will update this post with further impressions and info of the on the game as I plan to play it again tomorrow, and it is apparently a available to play at the Saturday event with some exclusive seal and surprises (same demo?). I'm typing on my phone, weird half-working auto-correct and I miss/typo on it more often, so appologize for some potential typos and lack of pictures for now. Will fix up when home.

Because of demo times, I didn't get a chance to complete the demo on my first session, but I did get a lot of hands-on time with it. I was both fortunate and unfortunate that the PS4 I played the game on was being faulty. The system crashed a lot (clarification, the system, not the game, it was only happening at the stand I was playing at), but it allowed me to restart the beginning sequence a number of times, and get more time with the title as they tried to fix it and in the end replaced the PS4. Overall got about an hour hands-on time with it.

---Play Session 1 Impressions---

The first thing I want to say is that watching this game does no justice to actually playing it. I have seen quite a bit of gameplay of the game and this sequence, the mansion level in chapter 9, that I thought I had a pretty good idea how the game worked. I also ha it in my mind this game was similar feeling to RE4, as looking at it, it does definitely look like RE4. But it both plays and feels very different from RE4, mechanically and atmospherically, and really only resembles RE4 on face value.

But I don't any to get ahead of myself. I'm not going to explain the events of the demo, just my time with it, as you can see a variety of videos of this sequence on YouTube if you want to know the content of what the demo entails. I am a player who plays slowly as likes taking things in, exploring, and strategizing, I should mention to start things off, and played very differently than I had seen others players play the game.

There was a new trailer attached to the demo. It showed a series of cinematics and gameplay sequences I had never seen before. For what I could pull from everything flashing by quickly, there's a kid you're chasing that some doctor is running off, there's a sequence of gameplay where you drive an ambulance, and there was a series of video 'tips' on how to play the game.

As I got a chance to play the first 10 minutes about 6 different times, two things I can confirm. Firstly, the game is VERY randomized. I played the demo six different times and I had six different set-ups of how everything was laid out. Items laid out in the environment were consistent (if a green gel was lying under the stairs, it was a green gel every time), but breaking boxes got different results each time. Most of the time, there was nothing in a box, but sometimes I'd get more green gel, or ammunition, or trap parts to make agony crossbows with, and even one time I got one of those old grenades with a stick and fuse attached (item description was questioning what an over 100-year old grenade was doing here). The enemies are also randomized. The first time I entered a room, there were five enemies inside who swiftly whooped my ass. The next time, there was just one enemy laying on the ground I could burn. Another two times, there was nothing, and yet another two, I was attacked by Ruvik, the stalker in this mansion area.

Another thing I noticed is that the puzzles change on what difficulty you play the game on. The demo only had the first two (of four) difficulty levels available, but the puzzle difficulty scaled to the difficulty you were playing on.

I also got some time to mess with the game's options. The demo had the option for several different text and voice languages, dubs I recall outside of English include Itallian, German, an French. There were also options to invert aim, Change the various hud features to make the hud always appear, auto or fade appear, or just off. These included tutorials, health and stamina display, item pick-ups, an a few other things. Other options like audio level changing, to turn up sensitivity for camera and aim, that sort of thing. I found it interesting there was also an option to turn on a censored version of the game or not, but did not try.

The first thing I noticed about this demo area was that there were a lot of areas off the beaten path. Little alcoves of items, or nothing. I managed to find a piece of a map, which I have no idea what it does. The game seemed designed to be explorable, there were items hidden in a lot of tricky places, making them easy to miss unless you were paying attention.

The mansion area was also a sort of 'explore at your leisure' location, you need to do three puzzles at three different locations to to open a door to progress, but are free to explore otherwise.

And now for me to start getting to my thoughts. My initial impression was a bit icky. The controls felt very weird at first, a moment when you first pop into the area there is terrible texture pop-in for a second, as people noted on a video Pere at Bethesda did on the game, the game currently has 30-40 second load times, even after you die an reload a death: frame rate was actually notably mostly okay, a couple areas it stuttered but it had been improved from what'd I'd seen in previous videos. I saw some things like grass clipping through walls, and the demo even opens up with Ruvik clipping through a sunflower. Not on accident, like intentionally, it might not look so weird if there flower had some effect when Ruvik phases through it or whatever, but it looks silly right now and was not the best first impression of the game.

The controls I quickly figured out were weird as they're not what I was expecting, but I did begin to adjust to them and uncovered why this is. The game had some interestingly weird mix of tank controls as a modern third person shooters controls. Not like RE5 or RE4, but of you hold forward and turn the camera, Sebastian will go forward until until you move more left or right, and he ha a very tank-like control to him in areas. But the controls aren't actually tank controls, but not quite modern either. It's like a weird hybrid. I had fluid moments of sneaking around, moving about, and what I expected, but I also found one times, especially when I was moving and reaction quickly, I'd be playing it like an old horror game of your character running in weird turned angles as against walls and that sort of thing anyone who's played old horror games are familiar with.

The next thing I noticed is that this game has truly excellent soud design. At least in this area, there's hardly any music, the sound depth and positioning really impressed me, there's a lot of attention an care put into the audio, and added so much. Noises you can hear from behind a door, on the floor above you, as you pass by something, around a corner. It's actually all really well handled.

And it's not just the sound, the environments are really well detailed. I liked how you could sort of use the camera to peer through windows to see locations in the mansion, turn around the camera to see details like where you came from before this area, see the Manor and how it turns more castle like towards the backside, see shiny roofs drop water, a tower ahead. Inside the mansion the detail continued. Also the environments were very destructible, I had some fun breakin cabinets and bottles and knocking over trash cans.

On destroying stuff, a comment. I was worried Sebastian having a melee button ala Dead Space would ruin the horror, that I could run and just melee enemies to take care of them, to save supplies and lessen their threat. This didn't work at all even on normal difficulty, I hit a single enemy something like 8-9 times and he had hardly flinched and during the time I was trying to melee him, and in less than 15 seconds had taken away all my health from full and killed me. However, killing enemies that carry weapons, they drop their weapons which you can then pick up and use. You can only carry one thing at a time, they can be effective melee weapons but their durability is low and they break very easily.

The game is also not easy. Mikami had said he thought survival-horror should be challenging, as that adds to the survival element, and wanted to make Evil Within a challenging game, and he was not kidding. Even on Normal difficulty, the game was noticeably a lot harder than the likes of Shadows of the Damned on Hard Mode or Dead Space on normal, and felt like somewhere between Resident Evil 4 on Nornal and Pro on difficulty. This was a later (9 of 16 or something like that) and keeping I mind I was adjusting the game, but the regular enemies are much tougher than Ganados or Majini. When they are downed, they sometimes will flail around and try to swipe and attack you if you get close to try and melee them. When they are downed, you cam burn the corpse woth a limited match and keresone. If you don't get a headshot or burn them, they have a chance to get back up as a much faster and stronger version of themselves, much like Crimson Heads.

The save rooms aren't really rooms, you hear music playing as follow it, and find a mirror that begins to start heavily glowing. You can hold a button to enter, and find yourself in a sort of 'hub' area. There's a nurse and a series of rooms, some rooms and whole areas I couldn't acces yet, and there were a variety of mirrors and glowing cracks throughout the hub I could use to return. Exploring around, there's a place to upgrade stuff with green gel, a series of locked doors to store bodies in a morgue which you can collect keys in the main game to unlock, there were files and creepy paintings, a prison cell area, and things that look like they may play importance at some point, but didn't in the demo (a gramophone and viewfinder, to name two). This seems to be a hub-like safe haven, which is different.

The game playing it really didn't feel like RE4. I know it looks like it and I think this is what people are expecting looking at it, but it plays so differently mechanically and atmospherically feels so different it honestly didn't feel like a follow-up to RE4. I can't quite put my finger yet on how to describe it, but take this from someone who has who thought it looked like RE4 in videos, it doesn't feel like RE4 playing it and honestly does have excellent anosphere, which I wasn't expecting. This is helped by being uncertain of what might be around the next corner, the fact the enemies are legit steely tough, the creepy sound and moody lighting, and a number of elements that keep you on your toes.

There were some randomized mood effects that happened when playing a few times. There was one time when a candle light flickered and went dark and back on again that never happened again I that room replaying it for me. There was a scene of a shadow eating something ahead of me and sounds that only happened once for me and never again (involving an enemy that was never there again in my six runs).

Ruvik also was panic-inducing. He's an invincible stalker that chase you as many may know. The screen gets a weir dark blue effect and this music begins playing, and you h e to either run or hide from him. He appeared in right corridor areas for me with multiple paths so I could never guess which way he was coming from.

I also saw the loading screens, and some of the tips were interesting, as well as load screens. My favorite was one involving different mannequins with tear marks under their eyes, things happen as the game loads, and so far didn't see a same load screen twice. Two interesting tips is that it mentioned the enemy with multiple arms and long black hair can be defeated, but it isn't recommended. Also a tip about making sure not to look at something.

---

Played the demo again a bit ago on the show floor, second go impressions.

---Second Try Impressions---

Got a lot further this time while playing, and this time played the Xbox One version.

Two things about the Xbox One version: It must be much more optimized right now. Load times were cut in half compared to the PS4 (15-25 seconds), and the frame rate didn't suffer at all, it looked a solid 30 FPS the whole time. But I noticed that the the game didn't look as sharp as the PS4 version and the audio was slightly different (if this makes any sense you can't hear things as far away as you can on PS4). I could hear the Save Room theme from across the hall for example on the PS4, but only in front of the door on the Xbox One. And there were other changes too, there was, in fact, music on the Xbox version. It didn't ruin anything as it was undertoned and creepy, but it leads me to believe the Xbox One version is better along than the PS4 version. Didn't even see any texture pop-in.

I also got a lot further this time, I got up the last puzzle before the door in the main entrance locked off when I ran out of time, but I did notice and observe some stuff this time.

The controls on Xbox One felt more regular. Not controller preference, I mean the tank control element was lightened some with walking around. Aiming felt the same, but moving around felt a lot more like you'd expect a TPS to move. I'm curious about why that is.

I managed to get a goddess key and open one of the morgue lockers. For a grenade (the ond-styled one I mentioned yesterday).

On the options screen I have found that you can in fact increase or decrease screen noise, so if you like it or dislike it you can change the percentage in the game to a lot or none.

I mentioned this on the EW forums but not NeoGAF, but there's a 'Show Partner Health' option I the HUD options, making me think there will be sections with you and another character.

Someone asked about volume on consoles. You can adjust everything's volumes; music, voices, sounds, cutscenes, are the four options.

A random note, The game has a lot of load screens. I have not seen the exact same load screen twice, though some variation (Ruvik is in the elevator, no Laura is the next time this screen pops up!) Also the game must have some big mannequin section or something. Two different load screens with mannequins. I saw this one today with baby mannequins. No idea what they have to so with the game as of yet, but they were sitting creepingly on the floor in a light in the dark room, the light would go off, and turn back and they'd be someplace else.

Ruvik scares me. He literally can appear at any time. I was fighting a few enemies in a room web suddenly in the middle of this Ruvik bursts through the door and suddenly his music and screen effect happened, and I was in a mighty inconvenient location to maneuver past him and the two enemies.

Getting headshots in the game is more challenging as the enemies bob their heads around and you need to shoot in a very specific spot, and I've found out Sebastian's accuracy when on low level with a weapon is horrendous. I've had shots with the pistol shoot over a foot in another direction of where I shot, so on low accuracy level the reticle box is actually more, 'the area your shot will actually land at'.

This may come as no surprise, but there are, in fact, some scripted enemy scenarios, so not all enemies are random.

The demo made me curious about some things. I was running through a hall and then heard this REALLY creepy clown laugh echoing through the halls, then suddenly all the enemies in the manor were all wearing clown masks. I have no idea what was up with that.

The puzzles here weren't hard but were interesting I will say. Some nice gothic inspiration behind them. Liked the painting puzzle.

I figured out how to set items to the d-pad, so that was nice. And to confirm something, your inventory slows down the game but doesn't stop it so you can still be hurt while using it.

There are two aiming modes, the proper aiming mode, and a 'free shoot' mode. The first aiming mode make the camera zoom in behind the shoulder, you move slower but shoot more precisely. How close behind the shoulder depends on the area you're in. Tight corridors will put it almost in a FPS mode, default is a bit closer than RE4, but not by much, sometimes more pulled back.

There seems to be a chance when you run out of stamina Sebastian will stop in his tracks and take 3-5 seconds to catch his breath. Again, mashing the X button makes this go faster, as does recharging stamina.

There are four areas to upgrade with green gel, yourself (health, stamina, etc), weapons, capacity, and the Agony Bolt. I had fun with the agony bolt today, the explosive bolts were fun.

On that, I hit an enemy with a explosive bolt, but it takes a few seconds to explode, enemy grabbed me and I exploded. Game confirmed to have dissection deaths, Sebastian literally exploded into pieces, but you could tell what all the pieces were. Happy to have Mikami deaths back after they left RE with RE5. Another one involves an enemy slitting your throat and blood purring out.

Speaking of blood. A fun blood splatter effect in this game. Killing enemies near blood or furniture will splatter blood on these that stick for a small bit. Killing an enemy close to you in a Corey fashion will have blood coat Sebastian for a few moments as well.

There was a hallway that wouldn't look out of place in Silent Hill that involved paintings with sections in them (that worked with the composition of the painting) that were turned into holes showing squirming, organic tissue inside.

Ran out of ammo for a while, and can say these enemies have it! By 'it', I mean that they're deadly, and have tricks, but you can run past them and avoid them, though they'll give more chase than zombies in the old RE game, you can outrun them and lure them to run past them I hallways.

That's about all I noticed in my play session, now for the event tonight! I suspect it'll be the same demo, but still excited.

---

I'll have more impressions later from the 4-hour Bethesda Evil Within event, as so many people seem not to know what to think of the game I thought I might throw out first impressions from the demo. So far I mus say feels much different to play than to watch, an in a good way. Does feel like a horror game, unnerved me even though only scared me once so far. More of an uneasy feeling.

hentaicook

Neo Member
One of these days I'm just going to steal every single copy of a game and start a thread called:

CTP

Crashed the party.

antitrop

Yeah, those impressions sound great, thank you very much!

And that even more solidifies my feelings that this game will review pretty poorly, but be adored by fans. The game seems like it's actually trying to do something kind of new, but the games press seems so quick to write it off.

Game4life

Banned
Thanks for the write up. I played it at Toronto fan expo today and I share your impressions as well. I was pretty surprised how good it turned out to be. I am looking forward to the game now.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Thanks for the impressions :D

Could you perhaps go into further details on the controls? I still don't have a full picture of how they work based on your description.

Fantastic impressions except for
The game had some interestingly weird mix of tank controls as a modern third person shooters controls. Not like RE5 or RE4, but of you hold forward and turn the camera, Sebastian will go forward until until you move more left or right, and he ha a very tank-like control to him in areas. But the controls aren't actually tank controls, but not quite modern either. It's like a weird hybrid

Edit: Do you mean like God of War in places?

JDSN

Banned
I kinda feel like a dick for not paying attention to what my second favorite dev is doing these days, I feel like I caught up thanks to your post. Game sounds great.

Very, very awesome write up my friend! :D Thank you.

And that even more solidifies my feelings that this game will review pretty poorly, but be adored by fans. The game seems like it's actually trying to do something kind of new, but the games press seems so quick to write it off.

Lots of people seem to think the game isn't doing anything new but the hub world and the randomized items and enemies might not be new but damn all of it combined sounds awesome :D

SDCowboy

Same. I see this as a game many review sites will crap on but most fans of the genre will adore.

I'm ready, Mikami.

tumblr_ml1sywYj611qd1ubro2_500.gif

tumblr_ml1sywYj611qd1ubro3_500.gif

tumblr_ml1sywYj611qd1ubro4_500.gif

tumblr_ml1sywYj611qd1ubro5_500.gif

Balkor

Neo Member
Awesome , thanks a lot for taking the time to write all of this! Got me even more excited for the game!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thanks for the detailed post!

When you say the HUD can be messed with in various ways does that include making the reticle disappear when you aren't actively aiming?

Another thing I noticed is that the puzzles change on what difficulty you play the game on. The demo only had the first two (of four) difficulty levels available, but the puzzle difficulty scaled to the difficulty you were playing on.
The return of silent hill 3 style puzzles is welcomed. Can't wait. This gives me a reason to replay it over I finish since I normally wouldn't.

Thanks for the impressions.

The Evil Within sounds like the Dark Souls of survival horror with those steely enemies and the high difficulty. The enemy placement (or lack of) sounds like it'll make this game even more replay friendly than RE4 to boot. It's great to know that the puzzles also change depending on the difficulty level (ala Silent Hill) too. Good audio design is also greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see what Mikami and his team have in store for us with 14 chapters in all.

Once the game is smoothed out I bet it'll be a highly remembered gem for GAF and the genre as a whole.

PensOwl

Banned
I'm not sure if I like the idea of random enemy spawns. One of the strengths of RE4 was its encounter design, and although plagas were random, it generally threw enemies at you in a way that kept it fresh and engaging.

mp1990

Banned
Now i`m really excited for this game.Not a big fan of the horror genre mainly because i got really scared easily,but now this game got my attetion.

-MD-

This is music to my ears, Dusk. My hype is through the roof after reading this.

Thanks so much for the impressions.

Dusk Golem

Still on phone and I can see I need to tidy up the OP quite a bit, but wanted to answer an reply to a few quick things.
Thanks for the write up. I played it at Toronto fan expo today and I share your impressions as well. I was pretty surprised how good it turned out to be. I am looking forward to the game now.

I have been looking forward to it, but I'll admit I misjudged it quite a bit. I basically expected RE4 with horror elements, and I'm not saying there is no RE4 in here, but everything from the atmosphere, design, gunplay, and a variety of different/new mechanics makes it feel very different to what I expected it too from watching it.

But much more excited for it now than I was before.

Thanks for the impressions :D

Could you perhaps go into further details on the controls? I still don't have a full picture of how they work based on your description.

I worded tha weirdly, let me try again.

Basically, you move around with a third person camera and set-up, but with some clumsiness of tank controls that feels completely on purpose. In most TPS, if you, for instance, press left, you'll automatically go left, but Sebastian turns like a tank-controlled character with a bit of a curve to his movement and slower than a typical TPS character. I forgot to mention this, but his default stamina is also low (but can be upgraded to last longer), which you use to run. At level 1 Stamina he runs out of stamina at Alan Wake levels of wheeziness, but a unique mechanic is that you can mash the X button to recharge your stamina faster (or make it run out less when running).

Also you reminded me to me too something I forgot! They claimed a while ago the game does not have QTEs, and this is true, but they have something else that's kind of cool. In some instances am enemy may come at you with a knife and te camera will change to a dynamic view close-up and you'll have but a moment to react with natural controls to avoid by turning Sebastian to avoid the blow based on where it's coming from. So basically you can turn Sebastian's positioning in a quick moment to try and avoid the strike. There was one 'QTE' Isaw though, which was waggle the left control stick when an enemy grapple you ala' RE4. It was harder than RE4's though as you have to waggle in the direction it shows you to waggle or you mess up.

But basically you have some clunkiness and slow, tank-like turning, and h runs sort of like a Tank controlled character where he moves slower to the left and right when he's running.

Puzzles scale with the difficulty? YES. I'm in love.

Yup, I was surprised with this a well. The puzzle was the same every time on Normal, but when I tired on easy the puzzle changed to an easier variant. The puzzle wasn't really hard, but interesting!

They gotta get those load times under control. At least the framerate seems fairly fluid.

Honestly they do. The frame rate seems improved and I suspect it'll improve more before release. On PS4 I can say it was running pretty fluidly mostly I this build. But the loading times, if not addressed, could be a huge con, especially as the game seems challenging and it reloads everything after you die. I guess try do this for randomness but the high load-time is problematic. No one wants to load 30-40 seconds after each death.

Thanks for the detailed post!

When you say the HUD can be messed with in various ways does that include making the reticle disappear when you aren't actively aiming?

Individual elements can be turned on/off, and yes, the reticle can be turned off. Basically any HUD on the screen can be turned off or on, you can play the game with absolutely nothing but the game if you want, or turn individual elements on/off/fade.

Thanks for the impressions.

The Evil Within sounds like the Dark Souls of survival horror with those steely enemies and the high difficulty. The enemy placement (or lack of) sounds like it'll make this game even more replay friendly than RE4 to boot. It's great to know that the puzzles also change depending on the difficulty level (ala Silent Hill) too. Good audio design is also greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see what Mikami and his team have in store for us with 14 chapters in all.

Once the game is smoothed out I bet it'll be a highly remembered gem for GAF and the genre as a whole.
Having played plenty of horror games, I can say it was challenging, especially just for being on Normal difficulty with two difficulties above it. XD;

One correction, game is 16 chapters. Chapter 4 was split into two as it was too long to make 15 chapters, but technically 16 as the prologue doesn't count as chapter 1.

Of course to see how the whole game goes but I feel much more confident in it now. To see how I feel after my next two sessions with the game.

Thanks for the impressions. The hub area sounds awesome.

I find the hub save area interesting. I do know you get keys for the morgue body storage lockers by destroying goddess statues in the main game, and one gets opened randomly by te nurse with things inside. I think as this was in the later half of the game more was opened up as there were signs of locked doors being open, but also doors around the area that needed further keys.

How's the level design?

This is tough to call right now as only have played one area, and not completely. I think something Mikami games do great is variety and pacing. Bit the area I played was interesting. It was the sort of stage where you have three points you need to get too, but multiple paths to these three points (one path was linear though) and you can go to them in any order. Layout obviously supposed to be reminiscent of RE. Door on the lower floor to the left leads to a dining hall. Upper floor leads to a hall. That sort of thing.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of random enemy spawns. One of the strengths of RE4 was its encounter design, and although plagas were random, it generally threw enemies at you in a way that kept it fresh and engaging.

It felt fine playing, but that may be because the game feels different Thant RE4. Maybe just this area is randomized could be one thing, but I can say there was quite a bit of small elements being randomized. Level layout, item not in crates location, puzzle locations and solutions on tha difficulty, etc., remained consistent though.

It really does.

@Dusk, I posted your impressions on the steam hub, hope you don't mind.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/268050/discussions/0/35222218734743170/

I do not mind at all, but I need to fix up the post a lot still when back at the hotel in a few hours. probably this post too. XD;

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

You have to think they are biased by anything that would have a significant resemblance to another time, especially with certain game mechanics being the rage these days. If one person were to actually relax their triple A fuel, then it could do a lot better. Their assumption is that it's from this designer that's before their time in the industry. I also think they'll do it because of Shadows of the Damned.

It's like trying to make Alan Wake relevant again. Which I don't really feel is the problem here. I think they'll just keep pushing onward, which forces things in more directions than it should go. Kojima has done the same thing for many years now and I think the credit should be reestablished with Mikami's work.

The man's responsible for making some of the greatest survival horror games to date. He also established a lot of what they take advantage of today, but in this movie-esque manner. My point is, everyone (whose a fan of survival horror) should pay attention to this game for it resembles a man's work who is a true influence to the genre period.

Tapejara

Thanks for the impressions, I'm especially grateful that you focused more on how it plays rather than giving a run through of the demo itself. I'm hoping to go into this one knowing as little as possible lol.

DedValve

Banned
I went from not being so hyped for this to looking forward to this. Good job OP.

Interesting that you say it doesn't play like RE4, is it more deliberate, slower paced with emphasis on consequences and inventory management? Can you cruise through a battle if your really good at TPS's?

DryvBy

This has been on my pre-order list since day one. If I can support crappy Silent Hill: Downpour, I'm golden with this.

gelf

This thread is the first thing that has got me truly interested in this game since one of the early trailers so I thank you for that. It does sound like it could be one of those games that review badly but that I might like.

Thanks for the impressions. I really like what I'm hearing (reading?) of this game and impressions like this only help the game sound as good as I was hoping it would be. It doesn't need to blow my mind like RE 4 did at the time, it just had to be a good horror game and from what I've heard so far, it's shaping up to be a great one. Really excited for this game.

Thanks for this. The random enemy placement should really inhance the tension, so I'm ok with it. I really hope they fix the loading times though.

Two questions - Any option to change the crosshair to a laser? When aiming have they zoomed the camera in further to make it look like a FPS?

Dusk Golem

I went from not being so hyped for this to looking forward to this. Good job OP.

Interesting that you say it doesn't play like RE4, is it more deliberate, slower paced with emphasis on consequences and inventory management? Can you cruise through a battle if your really good at TPS's?
There's a few reasons I think it doesn't feel like RE4.

The first big noticeable element is the atmosphere feels VERY different. This is really hard to tell on videos, especially in videos of people talking over it, but the game actually has a lot more of an unsettling and tense atmosphere than one might expect. RE4 had a lack of music in places, but it's more extreme here. No battle music starts playing to let you know when an enemy is and isn't here or to pump up the action, just the noises the enemies make, which sometimes is complete silence making you uncertain. The game has really good 3D sound, and lots of small details, something RE4 didn't have, as the sound effects are creepy, strange, and have this interesting but strange distortion effect when they're far away. The lighting is impressive with cast shadows 'layers' to light. And then the gameplay mechanics lends to this all too.

Ammo is scarce, enemies and crates do drop items but not all the time, but on rare occasion and it's not via shiny objects. To get an item from a corpse, you legitimately dig through the corpse. The basic enemies take and deliver more damage, look and sound creepier. They have more tricks, from rising back up from being downed as Crimson Head type monsters, faking dead and attacking you, hiding behind corners waiting for you, and if you lose you're not sure if they're even there anymore or a previously safe room is now dangerous.

You run out of stamina and can't run all the time. You can now sneak past enemies and it has benefit to do so. There are more dangers in the stages, from near-invincible stalker enemies to deadly traps. The level here feels less linear and far different from any of the levels designed in RE4, there are strange surreal moments and imagery, you are no longer a tank against even just a crowd of 2-4 enemies. The files I've sen actually seem well-written so far.

You go long moments with no enemies and just ambiance and atmosphere. You don't have an all-reliant melee, you have a melee that's only really good for smashing crates, and better melees that are scarce and limited use from the corpses of your enemies you pry out of their cold, dead hands. The combat requires more managing and strategy, you're given more options on how to deal with a situation but all make you feel more vulnerable rather than empowered.

That's a big part, unlike RE4 where you feel like you're a tank, you have a bunch of new moves and reasons to not always choose to fight. You move differently and the gunplay is clunkier, but it feels intentional. You don't feel empowered and are challenged to play, think, and react in a darker and stranger world. How it controls differently, feels different, plays differently, it obviously has some RE4 spirit in there but I can tell you it doesn't feel like RE4 when you're playing it from the one stage I have played. It's like how old horror games can have the same basic 'old-school horror look' and basic gameplay tropes, but feel completely different from execution and mechanics. Like how Resident Evil and Silent Hill are similar and look similar annin some ways feel similar, but they also feel very different and it all comes down to teir execution and differences. There is some RE4 feel in there, yes. And some REmake, and some other things, but I do think it does have it's own identity at least so far though obviously inspired by other things, but not copying, just inspired by. Of course, being Mikami, I am sure the feel may change some through the game.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for this. The random enemy placement should really inhance the tension, so I'm ok with it. I really hope they fix the loading times though.

Two questions - Any option to change the crosshair to a laser? When aiming have they zoomed the camera in further to make it look like a FPS?
Unfortunately I have seen no such thing. The only reticle options I saw was always have a reticle, have a auto reticle so it appears when you pull out a gun, or no reticle at all.

The camera zooms in differently based on where you are. In tight corridors, it zooms in very close, in open spaces it is pretty far back, so it's dynamic how close or far it is when aiming. I'll be honest, I hardly noticed when playing personally and more know this from seeing it played and director's words, but if I thin on it, I can think back and notice it In my thoughts.

-MD-

There's a few reasons I think it doesn't feel like RE4.

The first big noticeable element is the atmosphere feels VERY different. This is really hard to tell on videos, especially in videos of people talking over it, but the game actually has a lot more o an unsettling and tense atmosphere than one might expect. RE4 had a lax of music in places, but it's more extreme here. No battle music starts playing to let you know when an enemy is and isn't here or to pump up the action, just the noises the enemies make. The game has really good 3D sound, and lots of small details, something RE4 didn't have, as the sound effects are creepy, strange, and have this interesting but strange distortion effect when they're far away. The lighting is impressive with cast shadows 'layers' to light. And then the gameplay mechanics lens to this all too.

Ammo is scarce, enemies am crates do drop items but not all the time, but on rare occasion and it's not via shiny objects. To get an item from a corpse, you legitimately dig through the corpse. The basic enemies take and deliver more damage, look and sound creepier. They have more tricks, from rising back up from being downed as Crimson Head type monsters, faking dead and attacking you, hiding behind corners waiting for you, and if you lose you're not sure if they're even there anymore or a previously safe room is now dangerous.

You run out of stamina and can't run all the time. You can now sneak past enemies and it has benefit to do so. There are more dangers in the stages, from near-invincible stalker enemies to deadly traps. The level here feels less linear and far different from any of the levels designed in RE4, there are strange surreal moments and imagery, you are no longer a tank against even just a crowd of 2-4 enemies. The files I've sen actually seem well-written so far.

You go long moments with no enemies and just ambiance and atmosphere. You don't have an all-reliant melee, you have a melee that's only really good for smashing crates, and better melees that are scarce as limited use from the corpses of your enemies yoi pry out of their cold, dead hands. The combat requires more managing and strategy, you're given more options on how to deal with a situation but all made more vulnerable and not empowered by this.

That's a big part, unlike RE4 where you feel like you're a tank, you have a bunch of new moves and reasons to not always choose to fight. You move differently and the gunplay is clunkier, but it feels intentional. You don't feel empowered and are challenged to play, think, and react in a darker and stranger world. How it controls differently, feels different, plays differently, it obviously had some RE4 spirit in there but I can tell you it doesn't feel like RE4 when you're playing it from the one stage I have played it. It's like how old horror games can have the same basic 'old-school horror look' and basic gameplay tropes, but feel completely different from execution and mechanics. Like how Resident Evil and Silent Hill are similar by feel very different, for example. There is some RE4 feel in there, yes. And some REmake, and some other things, but I do think it does have it's own identity at least so far though obviously inspired by other things, but not copying, just inspired by.

so-happy-im-going-to-cry-gif.35164

Dusk Golem

One thing I will mention though that while the demo was obviously a big hit for me, being a Mikami game I do expect some variety in how it feels it's executed over its course. I'd say REmake, Dino Crisis, and RE4 change their tones and handling and pacing a few times through their course. The one thing I'm worried about is that this is one part of an episode, I know how I feel on it now, and I can talk gameplay more now, but some specifics, like atmosphere, are just based on that one sequence. I am much more excited and know I personally am going to enjoy this game a lot now, though.

Top Bottom