• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Guess Who

Banned
Man... Should I still play Catherine, guys? I think I know the twist.
Catherine is a demon/succubus, right?

Is there more to it/still worth going through?

Can I just watch it on YT?

God yes, it's a great game. Knowing the twist doesn't take away any of the fun.

You can watch it on YT, but a lot of the enjoyment comes from playing it yourself and seeing what ending you get.

While the story is great, the gameplay and the challenge is what made that game for me. Play it for the accolades that come with beating one of the harder games to come out of the 7th gen.

PK Gaming

Definitely. Catherine isn't about that particular twist (it's kind of obvious), it's mainly about the interpersonal releationships. The journey. And the choices. Pretty much every single day is it's own adventure.

Levito

Banned
Yo dawgs, watch the spoilers.

The gameplay in Catherine is amazing, so you definitely don't want to just watch it on Youtube.

Even if you don't actually 100% know the twist, I wouldn't openly post it like that. Yay edited! ^_^ The game is still wonderful to go through, don't let this potential spoiler stop you. Besides, you have a whole other Katherine to interact with!

Also, you're a wimp if you play on Easy. Git gud. Seriously though, if you just want the story stuff, plow through it on the lowest difficulty. Character interactions and the branching choices would feel lost in translation on a youtube run, imo. It's not like Persona where you can watch all 10 S. Link ranks to experience that character's arc. I love Catherine, btw.

Do it!

Squire

Banned
Yo dawgs, watch the spoilers.

The gameplay in Catherine is amazing, so you definitely don't want to just watch it on Youtube.

Yeah, it was accident. My bad. Certain people should really cool their jets with the junior modding shit though, Jesus H.

Catherine is a demon/succubus,
right?

Yes, play it!!!! Catherine was my first experience with the "Holy Trinity." Most surprising game of the generation for me - and one of my all-time favorites. I strongly recommend it!

Musolf815

Catherine is a demon/succubus,
right?

Yes yes, even if you don't dig the gameplay, it's cool to see Atlus' P Team trying something really different (yet familiar in a lot of ways). It's a really great game.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
As someone who played the Japanese version of Catherine (read: the one with the messed up difficulty that was patched and is still harder than the US edition) at launch, I would wholeheartedly recommend still playing as a sort of experiential, "it's the journey and not the destination" sort of thing. I really, really enjoyed the puzzle mechanics and would be very happy to wage a defense of why that stuff is integral to the game's identity, but it's totally the bar stuff and all the socializing that I remember most about that game. There were definitely moments in those parts of the game where I was reflecting back on my own life and relationships, especially with the texts that you can respond to. It's not always perfect at what it sets out to accomplish, but what it does right in terms of atmospherics and whatnot, I feel it's done very well and it can only really be fully grasped by playing it yourself, I think. The story is only a small part of the equation; it's your own reactions to those beats and what you do in their wake that really make it a whole experience, in my mind.

Anyway, spoiler-wise, there's arguably an even bigger one to stumble into than the one you likely learned about, the implications of which I actually only grasped myself by reading the Japanese art book. And judging from when I've searched it online before, not necessarily a lot of English players caught onto it anyway even after beating it, so I'll stay quiet. Suffice it to say I think there's a lot still left of Catherine to experience even if you know that one part going in. :)

tumblr_nbb8v3yRbn1s7an0do2_500.gif

tumblr_nbb8v3yRbn1s7an0do4_500.gif

tumblr_nbb8v3yRbn1s7an0do1_500.gif

tumblr_nbb8v3yRbn1s7an0do3_500.gif

tumblr_nbb8v3yRbn1s7an0do5_500.gif

MSMrRound

At least it's not far fetch to think that we will be getting a Persona All Star Racing as a spin-off next time. Your favourite characters like Narukami Yu, Igor in his limo and Mara on his golden chariot.

About the possibility of that character not being the MC; I think that the next broken chain should confirm that or not.
If the next one to be broken is the second from the right, then that would pretty much confirm that he is the MC considering that Japanese write (vertically) from right to left.
If the next one is the first one on the left, then most likely the one in the centre will be the MC

About the possibility of that character not being the MC; I think that the next broken chain should confirm that or not.
If the next one to be broken is the second from the right, then that would pretty much confirm that he is the MC considering that Japanese write (vertically) from right to left.
If the next one is the first one on the left, then most likely the one in the centre will be the MC
That's assuming they are actually doing the One Teaser, One Character, One Chair thing.

Anyway, spoiler-wise, there's arguably an even bigger one to stumble into than the one you likely learned about, the implications of which I actually only grasped myself by reading the Japanese art book. And judging from when I've searched it online before, not necessarily a lot of English players caught onto it anyway even after beating it, so I'll stay quiet. Suffice it to say I think there's a lot still left of Catherine to experience even if you know that one part going in. :)
If even people who has beaten it don't notice, why would you stay quiet, you... you truth hider!

Squire

Banned
Thanks for the replies, guys! Especially Pepsiman.

I suppose I really should play it then. I already gave a lot on my plate, but P5 isn't coming out next week or anything, so there's time. Hopefully Catherine goes on sale again soon.

QuadOpto

Isn't the chibi-esque art by Soejima? I thought he said in an interview how difficult it was to draw the characters in chibi forms for the game.

Dantis

Thoughts on Ultimax's first week sales (89k)? They're pretty in line with what I expected (Maybe a fraction higher?).

Isn't the chibi-esque art by Soejima? I thought he said in an interview how difficult it was to draw the characters in chibi forms for the game.

Yes it is.

But he barely did any of the actual art for the game, I don't think. Similar to how he barely did anything for Arena. I think for Q he literally did the character renders, the cover art and that's it.

arue

Thoughts on Ultimax's first week sales (89k)? They're pretty in line with what I expected (Maybe a fraction higher?).
It's lower than I expected; I expected at least 100k because PQ sold 180k on its first week.

How was P4A's first week anyway? Was it lower than Ultimax?
Nevermind, I found it. It was 128k. I'm surprised that Ultimax sold less than P4A on its first week.

I figured it would be somewhere between 95k and 100k so I was off by a bit, I would really love to see a breakdown of how many people buy the Arena games just due to the Persona name being attached.

Hugstable

Banned
Persona 5 trailer was great and I'm really liking the look of the new MC! Gonna be cool to see if they show any gameplay at upcoming TGS show. Also I'm so excited for Persona Q! Dungeon Crawling is my favorite and I love not only the Etrian Odyssey Series (I've only played 4 and Untold) but Strange Journey dungeons are some of my favorite dungeons in all of SMT!

Dantis

It's lower than I expected; I expected at least 100k because PQ sold 180k on its first week.

How was P4A's first week anyway? Was it lower than Ultimax?
Nevermind, I found it. It was 128k. I'm surprised that Ultimax sold less than P4A on its first week.

I think a few people in here were expecting it to sell better, for some reason.

I do think the P5 trailer will give it a stronger second week than it would have otherwise had, though.

Top Bottom