• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Xbox One launches today in Japan...

7HoCz6d.png

holy shit lmao

Wow... People are trolling hard the Xbox One huh? So much mockery here.

It is however expected that the console wont do good in Japan. It never did, and if the X360 that was much more successfull on its 1st year could not do it, I guess the surprise would be if the Xone was capable to make it different! But I hope that MS fight for a minor parcel of the market.

thisisneogaf.gif

Its so contrived too. Just let it happen people the One isn't likely to be a success. You don't have to force the lolz with empty pictures with no context.

"Lolz guys look at this random street in JPN at 4 am in the morning. I don't see Ones being sold bomba amirite?!"

That's the best strategy they can have with this console in Japan.

Actually, the best one would be NOT launching the console in Japan at all... oh, well...

launching a system during summer. worst thing you could ever do.

poor ms, they should just avoid japan. its clearly a waste of money, if they are hardly accepting any foreign brands except apple.

sad to see, that the xbox and the best system of ms, the 360 clearly failed there.

i still hope, its going to change and they are able to change the market there a bit, but i guess home consoles are a thing of the past.... mobile is the new buzz word there...

if MS didn't even bother launching in the region then why would Japanese developers and publishers return the favor with software support?

this launch is more about keeping them happy, and less about selling consoles.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I never said anything about buying shit because of anti-xenophobia or whatever you want to pass me off as.

You bloody well implied it when bemoaning the lack of interest in anything that isn't sony/nintendo and following it up with this.

If I limited myself to English made games only I wonder how lacking my entertainment would be.

Are you honestly trying to say the two are unrelated?

image.png

The fact that gamers aren't even taking a look means they won't see if they are interested or not.

Put it this way. If a company who treated your country like an afterthought released an expensive, underpowered, barely advertised product clearly aimed at a completely different demographic, would you give it a chance? It's just not desirable and the first party titles are largely dudebro centric. Forza is a terrible example because, love it or hate it, Playstation has Gran Turismo which is extremely similar. You may prefer one or the other, but unless you're a hardcore fan of either, it's unlikely to be the main factor in your decision.

And its not like Wii U/PS4 is setting the world on fire, so I am sure that makes the decision for Japanese developers that much easier.

Odd choice of wording. Comparatively, the PS4 is setting the world on fire. It's just not setting Japan on fire.

nynt9

thisisneogaf.gif

Its so contrived too. Just let it happen people the One isn't likely to be a success. You don't have to force the lolz with empty pictures with no context.

"Lolz guys look at this random street in JPN at 4 am in the morning. I don't see Ones being sold bomba amirite?!"

Most product launches have people lining up in Japan.

Facism

thisisneogaf.gif

You complain about the people taking the piss but you begin your post with "thisisneogaf.gif" and end it with some sarcastic caught feels.

cakely

It is however expected that the console wont do good in Japan. It never did, and if the X360 that was much more successfull on its 1st year could not do it, I guess the surprise would be if the Xone was capable to make it different! But I hope that MS fight for a minor parcel of the market.

LEAVE_BRITNEY_ALONE!_gif.gif

If you can't make fun of a mega corporation having some difficulties with a new product release, what can you make fun of?

Tuhbakee

Banned
I'd say it's a bit premature to count the Xbox One out right off the bat. We'll see how this pans out, only time will tell.

JordanN

Banned
I'd say it's a bit premature to count the Xbox One out right off the bat. We'll see how this pans out, only time will tell.

Do you really think XBO is going to win? Tthe last two Xbox's haven't made any dent in Japan, I don't see what makes XBO any more likelier with even less support.

Futaba

I just got back from Machida Yodobashi, where they were supposed to be having a midnight launch, I was planning to pick up another for work (got an imported US one at the moment) and store was being closed for the night, asked about Xbox launch and the nice lady basically said "come back tomorrow nobody came so we are closing"

Ouch.

Izuna

Banned
You bloody well implied it when bemoaning the lack of interest in anything that isn't sony/nintendo and following it up with this.

Are you honestly trying to say the two are unrelated?

image.png

Put it this way. If a company who treated your country like an afterthought released an expensive, underpowered, barely advertised product clearly aimed at a completely different demographic, would you give it a chance? It's just not desirable and the first party titles are largely dudebro centric. Forza is a terrible example because, love it or hate it, Playstation has Gran Turismo which is extremely similar. You may prefer one or the other, but unless you're a hardcore fan of either, it's unlikely to be the main factor in your decision.

Odd choice of wording. Comparatively, the PS4 is setting the world on fire. It's just not setting Japan on fire.

Haha what the fuck?

So posting of my experience of visiting shops in Japan where I never see people in the Xbox corner somehow makes me a racist? Sony/Nintendo are huge classic names in the industry, that was my point.

Finally, your last paragraph is some the dumbest shit I have heard. This whole "MS treating Japan as an afterthought" idea is bonkers. First of all, it isn't true. Second of all, even if it was, you're basically explaining grounds for xenophobia. You may be disinterested in Xbox titles and call them "dudebro" but all you are doing is offending my decision to prefer its exclusives.

Forza 2/3 only had GT4 (a PS2 port) and a prologue to compete with for an extremely long time. Hence my example. But yeah whatever. Continue to post reaction gifs and pictures because you cannot hold any sensible discussion with your MS bashing.

Oh and for your information. Japanese gamers may prefer more RPGs in charts than the west does, but games are games. It isn't cinema, they are creative experiences that shouldn't be seen as direction to a singular "demographic". Sure, certain trends don't work in certain countries, but the Xbone is not like Johnny's, who want to keep their content for Japan only. That's an entirely different scenario.

Also my comment on English entertainment was mostly due to really enjoying Wipeout growing up.

GutZ31

I just got back from Machida Yodobashi, where they were supposed to be having a midnight launch, I was planning to pick up another for work (got an imported US one at the moment) and store was being closed for the night, asked about Xbox launch and the nice lady basically said "come back tomorrow nobody came so we are closing"

Ouch.

Seriously?!
WAT?

p3tran

Banned
I know people would prefer for the xbox launch to be as unsuccessful as possible but god damn.

I know if I was japanese and reading this I wouldnt feel very good about my choice to purchase.
"its all in good fun" people will say, but yeah..

geordiemp

Come on, lighten up - a market where bullet girls sells near the top last week....what can anyone say about Japan game market other than have some fun...

GutZ31

I know if I was japanese and reading this I wouldnt feel very good about my choice to purchase.
"its all in good fun" people will say, but yeah..

Doesn't/didn't stop people from buying Wii U, or Vita.
Should we be policing for my feelings?
I don't expect people to share my opinions, or love for something.
It would be unintellegent to think my feelings should be protected because a product I like is getting flogged.

Izuna

Banned
Seriously?!
WAT?

This also happened to Kirby Wii game in the UK. Although that was mostly because they put the party in Elephant & Castle lmao. I saw the location a week before the event and thought "what parent would ever take their kids there? I wouldn't even go."

SDCowboy

Honestly though, why do we even still follow sales in Japan? The console market has been dead there for almost a decade. Is it just for the LOL's?

Futaba

I really don't want to be the source of a rumor I cannot personally verify, but a friend of mine in downtown tokyo is at one of the larger launch events and is telling me some kinda worrying things lol

Caayn

Today huh? When can we expect numbers? Hoping that the Xbox One manages to make a dent in the charts, but I doubt that it'll happen especially now as the PS4 is also struggling.

JordanN

Banned
Anything is possible no matter how unlikely.
Well I'm looking at it from a rational perspective.

No one buys a console off of brand name so that's already one strike. The only thing that could ever make XBO do better is games, but what games does Microsoft have that targets Japan and is exclusive?

Edit: Xbox 360 also had exclusive games but still did badly, that still wouldn't be enough for XBO.

GutZ31

Honestly though, why do we even still follow sales in Japan? The console market has been dead there for almost a decade. Is it just for the LOL's?

Good point, we should all leave.
Wait... I think it is mainly for the lulz, and possible shocking turn of events.

Ouch.
I said god damn.

Because even though the console market is dead, the gaming market is not. Despite their decline, they are still a critical region that contributed, and are still contributing a lot of games to the industry, console and mobile.

That, and we have weekly sales numbers for Japan.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Ouch.

Aw man, that sucks.

Top Bottom