• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2014

maxcriden

Yep, the first Adventure Island is Wonder Boy with a different name and main character. After that both series went in completely different directions. HG101 has a pretty good write-up about the licensing issues - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm

Adventure Island is essentially Wonder Boy, yes. The other Adventure Island games stick to or expand on the original Wonder Boy platformer template but they're all original Hudson games that have nothing to do with the original developers or the Wonder Boy series.

As for Wonder Boy, from the sequel on (Wonder Boy in Monster Land) it evolved into action-adventure/RPG series that doesn't have a whole lot of resemblance to the original game.

Thanks for the info, guys! Based on the HG101 link, it appears the SMS Wonder Boy VC is the best way to go. Is that your expeirence as well? Any opinions on the quality of these respective series? Finally, when I do get to Wonder Boy in Monster Land, any significant differences in the SMS and Arcade versions (both are available on VC)? Thank you!

Thanks for the info, guys! Based on the HG101 link, it appears the SMS Wonder Boy VC is the best way to go. Is that your expeirence as well? Any opinions on the quality of these respective series? Finally, when I do get to Wonder Boy in Monster Land, any significant differences in the SMS and Arcade versions (both are available on VC)? Thank you!
Wonder Boy in Monster Land, the arcade version is one of my Top Five games of all time ever, but the Master System version is trashcan liquid tier.

sörine;128416178 said:
omg Wild Guns! One of my favorite SNES games ever.

Mine too! This is awesome! I was so sure that this would be one of those Wii VC games that would never come out on the Wii U since not many people have ever heard of it.

VC output is still bad.
There are five really good, interesting and varied games listed in today's press release. You're really just further and further embarassing yourself every week with your insistence on sticking to this agenda when great games are being released.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There are five really good, interesting and varied games listed in today's press release. You're really just further and further embarassing yourself every week with your insistence on sticking to this agenda when great games are being released.

It's 1 fucking game when there is a ton of shit they could be bringing us. Just cause the non VC shit was good doesn't mean getting 1 VC game on the Wii U is a good fucking deal.

I abhor this argument.

I said VC output was bad. I didn't say the output of other games are bad.

Apples being bad doesn't mean Oranges are bad.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wowza. What makes them so different? Just a shoddy port all around?

I'll go against that and say it's a fine port and perfectly enjoyable in its own right but the arcade version is better, so get that one.

As for the other Monster World games:

Dragon's Trap: the VC has the SMS original and the TG16 port (Dragon's Curse); both are pretty close in terms of content but the TG16 lets you save, so get that version.

Monster World: the VC has the MD original as well as a TGCD version (Dynastic Hero) which changes a lot of character/enemy sprites and music, mostly for the worse. Get the MD version.

Monster World 4: only one version, unlike every other WB/MD game; the 2011 release was the first time it was ever released outside of Japan and it included an all-new English translation.

There's also Monster Lair but you can skip that one, it's a weird sorta-followup to Wonder Buy that simply isn't fun.

I said VC output was bad. I didn't say the output of other games are bad.

Apples being bad doesn't mean Oranges are bad.
There are five Virtual Console games in the press release (yes, some of them are upcoming, but it still shows a good selection of games being released).

Although I don't know why I bothered replying, you'll just move the goalposts again.. and again.. and again.. and again.. and again.

Dear Nintendo,

I hate you for giving no fucks about Metroid.

Signed,
Vanilla
If anything I think the character sale might be holding it back, maybe NOA don't want to offer 30% off on a day 1 game (like happened with FE7 in the EU...weirdly enough that came out specifically for the sale as it wasn't in the Monday PR).

There are five Virtual Console games in the press release (yes, some of them are upcoming, but it still shows a good selection of games being released).

Although I don't know why I bothered replying, you'll just move the goalposts again.. and again.. and again.. and again.. and again.

My whole original post referred to today. Why are you trying to start an arguement?

sörine

Banned
Dragon's Trap: the VC has the SMS original and the TG16 port (Dragon's Curse); both are pretty close in terms of content but the TG16 lets you save, so get that version.
I'd reccommend against Dragon's Curse only because it has that nastly fuzzy upscaling filter Hudson used for TG16. I think CD games did away with it though.

M2 handled the SMS stuff and they're all crystal clear. And with suspend states saving is a non-issue anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, SF2010 is coming to 3DS? But didn't last week's press release say it was coming to Wii U? How weird. I wouldn't mind 3DS, but knowing how tough the game can get, I kind of want the bigger buttons on the Wii U controller & bigger screen to see better....plus the DDP.

Nice to see the Curtain Call demo hitting today. Already got my pre-order in, but wouldn't mind playing it to see if they showcase any differences between this & the original. Also gonna grab Tappingo 2 as well.

Cool, Wild Guns coming in 2 weeks. Heard great things about it & wanted to wait & see if it'd come to the Wii U VC. Can't wait to try it out.

Hopefully the SSB-based sale will be good. Wonder if the 3rd party character games will be discounted as well.

So are we expecting Cubemen to be good? Haven't been following it at all but it sounds like it could be cool so I might snag it. Am I making a mistake, GAF?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Huh, SF2010 is coming to 3DS? But didn't last week's press release say it was coming to Wii U? How weird. I wouldn't mind 3DS, but knowing how tough the game can get, I kind of want the bigger buttons on the Wii U controller & bigger screen to see better....plus the DDP.

The other press release said the Wii U version was coming out in the middle of the week for some reason, maybe it's already out and that's why it's not listed for today.

jholmes

sörine;128416178 said:
omg Wild Guns! One of my favorite SNES games ever.

I was just thinking the other day that Wild Guns could come to the Wii U any day now. But now that I know it's coming, two weeks feels like so long...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The other press release said the Wii U version was coming out in the middle of the week for some reason, maybe it's already out and that's why it's not listed for today.
That's the weird part. I kept checking & it never happened. Figured it was a typo & they meant today, but now it's saying 3DS. Maybe we'll get a blog post later from Capcom explaining the situation, since they make posts on VC titles hitting the Wii U &/or 3DS the day off or in advance.

TheMoon

€2.99/£2.29, I guess. Don't forget taxes are included in European prices. ;)
If you want it to be a good deal, make it €2.49/£1.99.

Hell no! $2.99 turning into €2.99 is straight up evil! It's bad enough when big publishers do it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/#from=USD;to=EUR;amt=1
This is your friend. $2.99 is €2.30/£1.80 so to get a more normal looking price going with €2.49£1.99 is fair. Anything higher is not cool. €2.49 is not a "good deal," it's the only fair deal. €2.29/£1.79 is a good deal since that would be a more accurate conversion.

Sorry if I sound harsh. It's a sore spot this regional pricing thing.

Did Nintendo Club Football ever make it to the US/Canada eshops?

And it never will, just like with baseball games in Europe.

NA doesn't know what football is thus doesn't get it
EU doesn't know what baseball is and thus doesn't get those.

Jucksalbe

Banned
This is your friend. $2.99 is €2.30/£1.80 so to get a more normal looking price going with €2.49£1.99 is fair. Anything higher is not cool. €2.49 is not a "good deal," it's the only fair deal. €2.29/£1.79 is a good deal since that would be a more accurate conversion.

You forgot to add taxes. With 20% as an average tax rate, it's €2.30 * 1.2 = €2.76. I guess he also has some added bank fees, so I think €2.99 is actually pretty fair.

radcliff

Isn't Adventure Island the first Hudson game on the Wii U VC in the US? Maybe Konami of America will share some of the Hudson love after all?

TheMoon

You forgot to add taxes. With 20% as an average tax rate, it's €2.30 * 1.2 = €2.76. I guess he also has some added bank fees, so I think €2.99 is actually pretty fair.

Wait why would I add taxes on top of a price that already includes them?

also

Banned

Actually, if the tax rate really is 20% then you have to multiply by 1,25 (divide by 0,8) to get the correct price.
2,30€ *1,25 =2,875€.
Between 2,49 and 2,99€ I would choose 2,99€ since you also have to pay for the rating.

I was wrong.

TheMoon

NA prices don't include taxes.

But not all states have taxes and the rate varies. Remember this is about making an attractive price. I'm immediately put off if I see a $=€ conversion unless what you're getting for it is really good and the value is clearly identifiable.

But not all states have taxes and the rate varies. Remember this is about making an attractive price. I'm immediately put off if I see a $=€ conversion unless what you're getting for it is really good and the value is clearly identifiable.

so he should cut his own throat because you aren't capable of taking 20% off in your own head when comparing prices?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone have any details on the Smash Bros sale?

Also, no Zelda sale?
We'll probably get news on the SSB sale in about 5 minutes when the eShop updates. I'll type up the games & their prices when the sale's up. Also, we MIGHT get Zelda games included in the SSB sale, assuming it's not the same list that EU had.

TheMoon

perhaps, but the point i'm making is sound

At the end of the day I'm just giving my input as a potential customer. Whatever he decides is whatever he decides.

If it were out today for €2.99 I'd go "eh, I'll wait for the 25%-50% off sale when it's the price I think would be fair for me."

Now give me Robotrek. :mad:

Square Enix gonna Square Enix.

"What's VC? What's Enix? What's Quintet? What do we have to do with this?"

I'd be all over those games instantly.

zroid

Banned
Smash sale details http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

This week -- Sept. 4 – Sept. 11 (9 am – 8:59 am PT):

Kp3gvGX.png

TS8oVZs.png

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Anyone have any details on the Smash Bros sale?

Also, no Zelda sale?

It says that it's going through October 2nd, and only specifies Mario, Yoshi, and others for "this week," so I'd imagine Zelda stuff will be on sale at some point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SSB sale:

• Super Mario 3D Land - $19.99 (originally $29.99)
  • Yoshi's New Island - $29.99 (originally $39.99)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, Wii U & 3DS VC) - $3.49 (originally $4.99)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, Wii U & 3DS VC) - $3.49 (originally $4.99)
  • Punch-Out (NES, Wii U & 3DS VC - $3.49 (originally $5.99)
  • Super Mario 3D World - $39.99 (originally $59.99)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U - $39.99 (originally $59.99)
That's the only games listed on the sales section so far.

Top Bottom