• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Xbox One launches today in Japan...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's justifiable expenses, is what I'd call it.

"we lost money in Japan, sure,but if we didn't come here, Japanese third party games might be defacto exclusive to competition and harm sales in territories that matter!"

That will happen anyway outside of a handful of things.

leadbelly

Banned
I have high hopes for the Xbox One in Japan...

In other news... I'm currently in the Sahara desert and I think it would be good idea to put my rain coat on tomorrow, because I have a feeling, this day, out of all other days, it might rain. Call it a hunch.

Replicant

7HoCz6d.png

HNNNGH @ this prophet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MS only cares about those 'handful' anyway.

They're not going to lose sleep over Dragon Quest Heroes.

Maybe they should. Otherwise why should a fan of Japanese games buy their system when only a small few are on it? IDK, I thought it was odd they basically gave up at the drop of a hat after 2009.

On Demand

Banned

Haha what? They should at any new popular Japanese game PS4 gets. MS consoles already don't have a real market there. And PS4's 2015 lineup ensures it's going to stay that way.

Sony is not going to lose sleep over Scalebound.

Xenus

The only ones they will get is the ones big in the west. I fail to see what would change if they didn't launch in Japan. It's not like they trying with big exclusives this time either that wouldn't exist without them either.

I think I'm being misinterpreted somewhat.

MS has the challenge where even if they have multiplatform games as well... As far as Japan is concerned, a large majority will buy the PS4 over XB1 for that game.

When FFXV and KH3 comes out in Japan, it's fair to assume 95% of all the new consoles bought for that game will be PS4.

So they're stuck between a rock and a hard place where unless the game is exclusive to their platform, Japan isn't going to care.

Let's assume MS got themselves Dragon Quest Heroes. The problem for them is that it will not be exclusive to them, and if it's not exclusive... Japan will buy the PS4 version and snub the XB1 version.

Anung

Un Rama
I was in Akihabara today and there were people handing out freebies like tshirts and fans and they were getting snubbed hard. Bearing in mind this was like a 30 degree day.

Sony is not going to lose sleep over Scalebound.

The reason I used DQ as an example is because despite being a big IP, it has limited global appeal and thus have limited impact as a system seller outside Japan, which will allow MS to feel less threatened by it.

MS wasn't going to have any semblance of relevance in Japan in the first place, so not having DQ wouldn't matter to them. But if they were snubbed on a globally relevant Japanese IP like say... FF or KH, then MS would be scared.

fedexpeon

Banned
I was in Akihabara today and there were people handing out freebies like tshirts and fans and they were getting snubbed hard. Bearing in mind this was like a 30 degree day.

Dang...Free fan for the heat and no one is taking it?
Now...were those t-shirts/fans being handed out by maids?
If yes...oh man, life is tough for MS in Japan.
It must be hard to be the XB PR team over there.

aaronwt

DO they not order online in Japan? Or is it the norm to buy from the store? I know here in the US, I would much rather order from online than be accosted at the store by the journalists. You couldn't even pay me to do that.

Xenus

The reason I used DQ as an example is because despite being a big IP, it has limited global appeal and thus have limited impact as a system seller outside Japan, which will allow MS to feel less threatened by it.

MS wasn't going to have any semblance of relevance in Japan in the first place, so not having DQ wouldn't matter to them. But if they were snubbed on a globally relevant Japanese IP like say... FF or KH, then MS would be scared.

Yeah but FF or KH aren't in anyway affected by them releasing in Japan. In fact they will probably be PS exclusives in Japan. It is affected only by their presence in theWest and is it big enough to gardner enough sales for the port to be worth it.

Anung

Un Rama
Dang...Free fan for the heat and no one is taking it?
Now...were those t-shirts/fans being handed out by maids?
If yes...oh man, life is tough for MS in Japan.
It must be hard to be the XB PR team over there.

Just regular dudes and chicks. Xbox PR done goofed. You never turn down maid freebies. Most of the stores I went in had minimal xbox one space (a shelf)

30 pages. Yikes. So. I wonder if it sold a dozen. Maybe even two dozen. I don't want to get too optimistic, though. :p

Playstation has such a huge presence there. And I've heard so little about this Japan launch. Admittedly, they're probably just advertising in... you know... Japan... but still.

darkwing

30 pages. Yikes. So. I wonder if it sold a dozen. Maybe even two dozen. I don't want to get too optimistic, though. :p

Playstation has such a huge presence there. And I've heard so little about this Japan launch. Admittedly, they're probably just advertising in... you know... Japan... but still.

Don't forget about online sales

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think I'm being misinterpreted somewhat.

MS has the challenge where even if they have multiplatform games as well... As far as Japan is concerned, a large majority will buy the PS4 over XB1 for that game.

I think the XB1 is just not appealing to the Japanese market. most of my FFXI and FXIV ls Buds who live in Japan think its design is hideous most of the comments are. "It is too big." or "looks like old tech." That might not matter much here in the States but it matters a lot over there. Also I get "It is weaker than the PS4 why should I get it?"

The power difference is very well publicized and they are generally very well informed. I am completely against buying exclusive games but the best bet MS has with the XB1 is to buy something exclusive that is very Japan centric and it has to be a huge property. Were talking Exclusive Final Fantasy XV big or else as has been said in this thread they will just buy the game on PS4.

Edited to correct my busted English.

fedexpeon

Banned
Just regular dudes and chicks. Xbox PR done goofed. You never turn down maid freebies. Most of the stores I went in had minimal xbox one space (a shelf)

Tsk tsk tsk...MS, maids=best PR in Japan. XB PR still haven't learn this huh?
I even gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were using maids.

Xenus

When I said snubbed by FF and KH, I meant GLOBALLY.

I wouldn't put it pass Japanese publishers.

I know what you mean but all I am saying is that launching doing disastrously in Japan or not launching at all will have an infinitesimal affect on the decision of whether KH or FF are launched on the Xbox One in the West.

2441878-9449943603-iFsS1.gif

And yet even that was not enough to save the PS4 from flatlining in the country

Some Japanese-appealing games might help though

fedexpeon

Banned
2441878-9449943603-iFsS1.gif

And yet even that was not enough to save the PS4 from flatlining in the country

Some Japanese-appealing games might help though

I remember that Playroom thread.
Those maids actually got me to order a PS Camera...

lol, so sad =(.
Consumerism was too strong during those idols streams.

BradC00

Why would launching and getting their heads kicked in be better than not launching and not getting their heads kicked in?

it's a formality at this point. people flipped shit that XB1 didn't launch in Sweden or Poland or whatever and the poor makers of BF4 and Witcher 3 wouldn't be able to play their games on XB1.

I know what you mean but all I am saying is that launching doing disastrously in Japan or not launching at all will have an infinitesimal affect on the decision of whether KH or FF are launched on the Xbox One in the West.

Yeah, you're right on that point.

LuuKyK

Well that wasn't expected at all. lol

I mean, considering last gen's performances and the fact that MS doesn't seem to be giving two shits about Japan this gen either, that was really a given.

lol

Blonde girl in the gif is Xbox fan in Japan.

ibc2P0aCTfehc3.gif

Seeing how otaku MS Japan are i think they know,they just don't waste money for it

But it will effect the small Japan developers,like BradC00 said,formality,even MS know they have no chance to win,they still at least have to join the match

Well that wasn't expected at all. lol

I mean, considering last gen's performances and the fact that MS doesn't seem to be giving two shits about Japan this gen either, that was really a given.

lol

Blonde girl in the gif is Xbox fan in Japan.

ibc2P0aCTfehc3.gif

Man, people gif everything these days huh? I mean what's going on there that was even worth capturing? People at some musical performance and she's into it? Damn...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did it already launch in the other Tier 2 countries yet?

as far as I know its not out in Portugal yet.

or is it? if it is I havent heard a peep. I stopped caring a long time ago anyway. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice etc (in my country that is, its a dead system/brand and I had to import everything from UK last gen)

as far as I know its not out in Portugal yet.

or is it? if it is I havent heard a peep. I stopped caring a long time ago anyway. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice etc (in my country that is, its a dead system/brand and I had to import everything from UK last gen)

Why you in Xbox thread then

Aiii

So not worth it

They should.

And Persona 5. And Disgaea 5. And the many more games they won't be getting over the next years as sales remain low (not only in Japan, but elsewhere), it's PS2-era all over again, where one system gets the majority of exclusives and as a result will continue to outsell the other systems exponentially, resulting in even more exclusives for said system.

That's a ripple effect you should never want.

Was at a big Aeon mall in Kyoto earlier this week, went into a large random electronic store there and there was a fair bit of Xbox products actually, I thought it would be far less:

dsc_0304b2pqs.jpg

dsc_03052vps9.jpg

Atuin

Did it already launch in the other Tier 2 countries yet?

Xbox One is launched today in Finland (and a few other European countries, don't remember which ones), haven't seen any news about it yet. I assume the launch won't be as bad as in Japan, but of course Xbone has no chance of outselling the PS4 here, not only because of the 10-month head start.

Celine

Maybe they should. Otherwise why should a fan of Japanese games buy their system when only a small few are on it? IDK, I thought it was odd they basically gave up at the drop of a hat after 2009.
The weight of japanese games (excluding Nintendo) have over western gamers is severely diminished compared to PS2/GC/Xbox generation and before.
Having on board japanese dev isn't a priority now for MS because outside Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and a few others there isn't any big seller (in the western markets) and big sellers are all it matters now.

Let's assume MS got themselves Dragon Quest Heroes. The problem for them is that it will not be exclusive to them, and if it's not exclusive... Japan will buy the PS4 version and snub the XB1 version.
It's likely Japan will buy DQH for PS3 and snub the PS4 and to a bigger degree (the hypothetical)XB1 version).

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
It's justifiable expenses, is what I'd call it.

"we lost money in Japan, sure,but if we didn't come here, Japanese third party games might be defacto exclusive to competition and harm sales in territories that matter!"
Did they really say that?

It's likely Japan will buy DQH for PS3 and snub the PS4 and to a bigger degree (the hypothetical)XB1 version).

I'm talking assumptions here between only two platforms (Ps4 and Xb1)

PS3 will clearly do better than the PS4 SKU, but it will still help sell the PS4 system, especially with a DQ special console bundle.

Did they really say that?

Obviously not. That was a joke statement by me.

They should.

And Persona 5. And Disgaea 5. And the many more games they won't be getting over the next years as sales remain low (not only in Japan, but elsewhere), it's PS2-era all over again, where one system gets the majority of exclusives and as a result will continue to outsell the other systems exponentially, resulting in even more exclusives for said system.

That's a ripple effect you should never want.

Actually it's a ripple effect one would want if you're looking for Japanese developers to get off the sidelines, the longer it takes things to play out, the worse shape the Japanese games market would be in terms of current generation support.

At this point both small and big Japanese developers would feel more safe having one large pool of users to release their games on rather than continuing to release everything on last gen machines without a clear winner in this gen's race.

MS might not want that but as a gamer looking forward to playing Japanese games in a current gen system, the current gen race needs to play out quickly.

Top Bottom