• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

cress2000

2yy33wk.jpg

...what am I supposed to do in here? I've spent the last half hour screwing around and it just isn't coming to me.

Firestorm

cress2000 said:
...what am I supposed to do in here? I've spent the last half hour screwing around and it just isn't coming to me.
It's not spoilers, but in tags anyway
Make the water go down again. Move the block that's to the left of Estelle into the water (move to the right hand side, and then up) so you can stand on top of it. Move the pillar with the gem on it nearby. Stand on the pillar you pushed into the water and shoot the gem. You'll float up with the water and walk onto the platform.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
15 hours in and I'm ready to say this a top 5 360 game. I can't see how a JRPG fan who owns a 360 can go without it.

In fact, I can't see how anyone can not say that Tales of Vesperia is the best JRPG on any current gen console.

Yes, fuck yes. I'm 30 hours in and this game is amazing :D

cress2000

Firestorm said:
It's not spoilers, but in tags anyway
Make the water go down again. Move the block that's to the left of Estelle into the water (move to the right hand side, and then up) so you can stand on top of it. Move the pillar with the gem on it nearby. Stand on the pillar you pushed into the water and shoot the gem. You'll float up with the water and walk onto the platform.
Dur. I did that on one of them (not the right one, of course) but it didn't work, so I didn't even think to try it with the other one. Thanks.

mjc

Anybody have any tips for the big monster butterfly that's roaming around the desert? Everyone is around lvl 32 for me right now and he's about 40 if I remember correctly.

klee123

Ok, getting the game on monday. For those who have finished it, how does this game compare to the other tales of rpgs? I personally loved Abyss, Destiny, Eternia and Phantasia, but disliked Symphonia.

Althane

klee123 said:
Ok, getting the game on monday. For those who have finished it, how does this game compare to the other tales of rpgs? I personally loved Abyss, Destiny, Eternia and Phantasia, but disliked Symphonia.

Pretty much I'd consider it the best one. The characters are just so much -better- in this one than anywhere else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It counts the kills before it's activated, but the actual effect won't happen until they are activated anyway.

Well, I decided that I'd do all the sidequests on a second playthrough and I am about 5 hours into it. I was just wondering if I should nix this playthrough, go back to the first one and then do the Fell Arms quest.

I'm not sure I'll be playing this a third time anytime soon so I suppose I might as well just complete the quest already and save my grade shop powered 2nd playthrough for later.

Jonnyram

I can't believe I fucked up the Clay quest on my second playthrough :( I missed the part in Mantaik around #89 :(
Anyway, beat the game in a little over 12 hours, doing the hidden dungeon now. Already about lv 150 or so.

I can't decide whether to get my third Heliod costume title on the lv 15 playthrough or a separate playthrough. I figured it might be quite a drag to play that far with an exp handicap. Guess I will see how hard the lv 15 achievement is first, and take it from there.

FateBreaker said:
I asked myself this very question. Then I reset my 360.

I was going to do the same, but then I read into it, in the long run its for costumes for the whole party

on another note, what are these little displays on the japanese island? one looks like klonoa or something

PseudoKirby said:
why did I waste 300,000 gald just to see a little skit?

You've got to go there multiple times. Do it enough, and you'll get something. I was a tad annoyed at first too. :lol

mugwhump said:
Wat? Seriously? :O

I was slow in picking that one up too. What's really awesome is that if you hit B fast enough, it'll give you the effects of a limit attack, allowing your combo to start back over at the first attack.

Coverly

How to do get the Customize Pack:Estelle to work?

Wife was tired of Estelle's look so I got her the pack
but when I go to Estelle's info to change her title, the titles
from the pack are not there. Do I have to save or go to
a town to activate the pack or is it suppose to be automatic?

The pack is suppose to work at any part of the story right?
Or am I just looking in the wrong place to change her costume
with the pack?

Coverly

Firestorm said:
I think you have to go into the Xbox Live tab in the item menu first.

I checked there and there is a check mark by the pack with the only option being to download it again. I also tried deleting the pack and continuing the game but when i tried to load it said that the pack was missing and wouldn't let me play again until the pack was downloaded once more. Weird. It knows the pack is there but for some reason the contents of it aren't activated yet. oh well. -_-

Althane

I enjoyed the bathhouse skits and all. Besides, there wasn't much that I was doing with that money anymore.

Finished all the weapon synthesis, I think, got all but 2 synthable attachments (screw you Raven), most the ultimate armors, rebuilt the town, won lots and lots from Nam Combanda island...

And I'm still probably ~90% done with the game... not counting all the sidequests I missed!

PseudoKirby said:
I was going to do the same, but then I read into it, in the long run its for costumes for the whole party

on another note, what are these little displays on the japanese island? one looks like klonoa or something

wait, really? i have to pay 300,000 to see some skits and get some titles?

(are the costumes cool? :))

FateBreaker said:
wait, really? i have to pay 300,000 to see some skits and get some titles?

(are the costumes cool? :))

Actually, 900,000 in all. And it's the standard bathing/beach stuff from most Tales games. Save Estelle's which is an abomination. The best part is that wearing them will net you really funny skits.

Papercuts said:
You need 3 letters of challenge to get in. The hunting blades(which you have), one from Flynn...I think you either get this naturally or just talk to him in Aurnion, and another from Gauche and Droite. For them you need to see them in Capua Torim, go to Ehmead Hill and get a fire lily, then go to Mt. Temza for a scene, and finally head down to Zaude where you killed Yeager.

I've done the first scene
and helped the lady with the orphanage, but I don't see anything when I go to Ehmead Hill. What am I missing?

crowphoenix said:
Actually, 900,000 in all. And it's the standard bathing/beach stuff from most Tales games. Save Estelle's which is an abomination. The best part is that wearing them will net you really funny skits.

Holy GOD. :(

damnit I have to do another playthrough to get ravens
schwann
costume

damnit I wish I would have found this costumes FAQ earlier...

Papercuts

crowphoenix said:

I've done the first scene
and helped the lady with the orphanage, but I don't see anything when I go to Ehmead Hill. What am I missing?

If you enter from the side you exit on after first going through, head north like you would be heading up to the cliff, but take a right when you can. There's an area with a few chests and Gattuso cubs, so if you've been there before you should know what I mean. A scene will happen there automatically.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I can't remember what review I read of that that said that the script of this game deserved better actors, while the voice actors are good, the premise and story to this game is fucking amazing and perhaps did deserve better.
I need to go fight Belius again because she kicked my ass

akenatone

Finished the game a couple of days ago. I enjoyed the battle system and the skill system. I thought that the skits were sometimes more entertaining that the dialogue during the main game.

My favorite thing about the game has to be the main character, finally a non winy male lead in a jrpg. Sadly he was wasted in a story that i feel was bland and boring. Towards the end of the game, i was just playing to beat those huge monsters cause the combat was fun. Heck i skipped most random battles in the last dungeon. Honestly, i thought the story sucked.
I hope the next crop of console jrpgs can do better story wise, but i won't be holding my breath.

Solid game overall.

Man, I love 10x exp. After I got the boat again on my second playthrough I went straight to Nam Cobanda Isle and went from level 50 to 100 in less than a hour. :lol

Jonnyram

donkey show said:
Man, I love 10x exp. After I got the boat again on my second playthrough I went straight to Nam Cobanda Isle and went from level 50 to 100 in less than a hour. :lol
I didn't do any grinding at all and got to lv 200 really easily. The bonus dungeon and 200 man coliseum will make you go :O The latter is like 1 million exp each run.

Jonnyram said:
I didn't do any grinding at all and got to lv 200 really easily. The bonus dungeon and 200 man coliseum will make you go :O The latter is like 1 million exp each run.
Ohhh can't wait. My primary goal was to make more money to fund my synthesis since I didn't transfer over my moola from the previous game, but I got hooked in leveling after every battle there. :lol

Papercuts

Jonnyram said:

Haha, how much exp. do you need to level up in the upper hundreds anyway?

Jonnyram

Papercuts said:
Haha, how much exp. do you need to level up in the upper hundreds anyway?
About 200-300k. You'll level up every boss fight usually, and considering the nature of the bonus dungeon, it won't take you much effort.

Firestorm

Ok so my thoughts. I finished at about LV54 - LV56. 41:33 hours in. Normal. Party was Yuri, Estelle, Rita, Raven. I used Yuri as my character.

Visuals were amazing throughout the game. No idea why sites gave it a low score. Like I mentioned before, the CG scenes looked worse than the game. Towns were beautiful, but I did dislike how so much of the towns were inaccessible. Dahngrest for example looks huge but you can't really get to most of it. The same applies to Zaphias. There's a bustling marketplace which you can see and hear but cannot access. Characters looked great but facial expressions needed some work.

Music was pretty crappy overall. There were some great tracks, but most of it was not memorable at all. Around the World SUCKS. God. Horrible track that killed the mood at many points in the story. It's the one that plays in the trailer. Track 12 on the bonus disc. Although I said I disliked the music in the battle between
Yuri and Estelle
, Fury Sparks (Track 8 of the Bonus Disc) in the battle between
Yuri and Flynn
was pretty awesome. Not as good as
Meaning of Birth (here) in Tales of the Abyss
, but one of the better tracks for sure. The
remix of Ring a Bell (here) was pretty good, although it didn't have as much impact as Meaning of Birth did
. I also liked Yuri's Theme and Dahngrest. But I have no idea what any of those tracks are called. Bosses just had crappy music. Battle music was decent.

Controls were easy enough to get used to after I switched them to my liking. AI was stupid this time around. I usually don't have a problem with AI in Tales games, but Estelle is stupid beyond words. She just doesn't do what you set her to do. Tales mages still haven't learned to stop casting magic that the enemy is weak against after doing it once.

Battle system was what I expected. Like Bebpo said earlier, the game really emphasizes combos with all the skills you learn, but the enemies fall down or just break your combo magically that it's really frustrating. I couldn't break 100 combo hits before finishing the game. I still haven't hit 100 hits. Skills were awesome, but I wish that instead of using SP you could just have all the skills at once. I think it would have made battles more fluid. There really wasn't enough SP to go around.

What annoyed me in dungeons was that enemies were almost unavoidable due to the narrow paths. I like battles, but I'm not a fan of small battles so I usually avoid them... it was really hard to do in this game. If it was turn-based, I'd have been really frustrated.

Achievements were done really well IMO. Secret Missions are a great idea, although they were executed in a crappy way for some points. They need better Secret Missions. The concept's good, but damn, "break his guard, stop, and hit him with this other character in .5 seconds" does not make a good Secret Mission. 1 playthrough can net you 700+/1000 Achievements which is good. None of that Eternal Sonata or Blue Dragon crap.

Now Story and Characters.
Yuri is awesome. Honestly the best Tales lead by far. However, the rest of the characters aren't so memorable. They really didn't develop that much at all.

Raven had a lot of promise, but he was handled poorly. More about his involvement in the Great War should have been explained. For some reason, he switches from kidnapping Estelle as Alexei's pawn to a member of Brave Vesperia really freaking quickly. There's nothing said about his thought process at all. Also, shouldn't he be dead? All the blastia was used up in the final scene. You could see the Bodhi blastia worn by the rest of the cast being broken. Potential was there, but they didn't give him enough time.

Karol was annoying. I would definitely have liked to see him developing Brave Vesperia more though. I say Flynn should have just gone against Yuri and given Brave Vesperia credit for a lot of what they did and have the guild become a strong part of the Union by the end of the game. The guild concept was something I really liked but they didn't seem to further.

Speaking of Flynn, he was also an awesome character. Yuri and Flynn stole the game. They were handled great. Good relationship. The trailers and even box seemed to indicate they'd have some sort of Lelouch vs Suzaku (Code Geass - OH SHIT there's a new Code Trainwreck today I just remembered!) relationship but they stayed pretty friendly throughout.

Rita was almost ignored. Her backstory was not covered at all. Why Judith left Myorzo wasn't really explained. Estelle was just standard. Nothing exceptional but she wasn't ignored.

I'm guessing I have to do the sidequest on this one, but who the hell were Gauche and Droite supposed to be? They were in the intro but did almost nothing in game. I don't even remember fighting them. Is that part of the sidequest too? Can I still do it?

As for the story itself, I didn't like Part 1 nearly as much as you guys did. The hunt for the Aque Blastia was getting kind of old considering it took a bit over 10 hours. However, Yuri's actions did keep the story interesting. I found it a lost opportunity how they didn't keep going with that path for Parts 2 and 3. I mean, other than his finisher on Alexei, he didn't get much more to do, did he?

Parts 2 and especially 3 were standard Tales fare so nothing really that great. It was interesting seeing Team Symphonia's take on the energy/oil crisis though. Funny how they seem to just take a topic and chuck alchemy and magic at it until it becomes a jRPG story. Racism and mixed races (like the Metis) in Symphonia, cloning in Abyss, energy crisis in Vesperia.

I mostly focused on the negatives, but I still enjoyed it. The most important bit was of course the gameplay and the battle system was awesome, awesome, awesome. Only improvements I could really make to it would be allowing skills to be all on at once and having enemies not magically break out of combos. I haven't played many games lately, but Vesperia's drawn me back in. Gonna try Infinite Undiscovery after I've done a few sidequests. Is there a Sidequest FAQ that's as awesome for those who're already done the game as this one for Symphonia? I know people are using Kouli's, but it's not as good when you've finished the game and just want to go tie up loose ends.

Papercuts

Firestorm said:
I'm guessing I have to do the sidequest on this one, but who the hell were Gauche and Droite supposed to be? They were in the intro but did almost nothing in game. I don't even remember fighting them. Is that part of the sidequest too? Can I still do it?

Yeah, you can still do that part of the sidequest. You need to start at Capua Torim and see a scene with them, then head over to the Ehmead Hill area where some Gattuso cubs and chests are for another scene. After that go to Mt. Temza for a scene, and end it at the spot Yeager died in Zaude. It helps flesh them out a little, but I still think there's more to see through other sidequests, but I haven't seen anything else yet.

Firestorm

Ah ok, thanks.

Also, interesting to note that on GameFAQs, since Vesperia's release, Tales of Symphonia has hit #1 GCN game and Tales of the Abyss is back in the Top 10 for PS2 games. This is based on weekly hits on their game pages I believe.

Fenix

Firestorm said:
Also, shouldn't he be dead? All the blastia was used up in the final scene. You could see the Bodhi blastia worn by the rest of the cast being broken. Potential was there, but they didn't give him enough time.

Yeah. this really bothered me too, especially since the "night before" in his scene with Karol, it almost seems like a going away speech, but naturally Karol is too young to understand. Oh well :(

Firestorm

Fenix said:
Yeah. this really bothered me too, especially since the "night before" in his scene with Karol, it almost seems like a going away speech, but naturally Karol is too young to understand. Oh well :(
I had the same interpretation!

Fenix

Firestorm said:
I had the same interpretation!

High five!
The sign of victory!

Also, I'd recommend laying off on starting IU for a day or two, and just let the feelings/memories of Vesperia settle. I jumped in to IU within hours of beating ToV, and I was immediately struck by the difference in visuals, the dialogue and the not-playing-as-Yuri.

Papercuts

Fenix said:

Atleast with the ending you could stretch some theory like his blastia is powered by life force and not aer so it wasn't needed, though I also thought he was going to die.

What I REALLY want to know is how he survived right after the Schwann thing, the whole placed caved in and he just shows up later like "lol hai". I really liked the revelation until that. :p

Top Bottom