• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

hiska-kun

Bayonetta 2
B7BAA5B3-54BD-46F2-BE2A-F6EB8A5F172A_zps6ionwh84.jpg

1C6050BE-684F-4AE5-B055-B6A56D5F0A73_zps3psegawb.jpg

Pre-orders for Pokemon ORAS start today
D7EBF8AD-E239-4766-9F69-352D898FECD8_zpsrtnnk2zj.jpg

Super Smash Bros for 3DS still sold out in many places
7C632C88-E289-4E08-AAAE-136B175E0D54_zpsosdqlqwy.jpg

Promotion for Monster Hunter 4G is becoming bigger
2E505F9C-9A23-4166-85F7-8CE27C208A01_zpsfwz7vkj4.jpg

CD884FB6-E926-4BF7-A8B7-E03263FBEDC1_zps31qdrxhc.jpg

Bayonetta 2 stands and adverts are small lol

Even if they don't release a bundle before the holiday, I would still expect some sort of bundle by early next year. That would make it more plausible to reach 1M unbundled I suppose, although it would depend on what kind of Christmas bump the system and associated software get. At current rate, it will take roughly a year - shave off whatever amount one expects it to do during the holidays.

hiska-kun

Mario Kart 8 is tracking around 150k behind Luigi's Mansion 2, which reached the million without bundles.
Mario Kart was selling in a good pace during summer (some weeks better than LM2) but after holidays it slowed down.

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Mario Kart 8    | Luigi’s Mansion 2|  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [3DS] (2013/03/20)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MK8 – LM2    | 
|  1 |  325.892|  325.892|  280.151|  280.151|        45.741| 
|  2 |   73.051|  398.943|  110.840|  390.991|         7.952| 
|  3 |   42.261|  441.205|   68.423|  459.413|       -18.208|  
|  4 |   28.112|  469.316|   56.562|  515.975|       -46.659| 
|  5 |   23.520|  492.837|   41.296|  557.271|       -64.434|  
|  6 |   19.386|  512.223|   38.884|  596.155|       -83.932|  
|  7 |   15.143|  527.366|   64.420|  660.575|      -133.209|  
|  8 |   14.992|  542.358|   31.345|  691.921|      -149.563|  
|  9 |   18.129|  560.487|   20.304|  712.225|      -151.738| 
| 10 |   18.067|  578.554|   19.079|  731.304|      -152.750| 
| 11 |   20.860|  599.414|   19.649|  750.953|      -151.539| 
| 12 |   28.221|  627.635|   15.759|  766.712|      -139.077| 
| 13 |   12.075|  639.710|   14.949|  781.660|      -141.950| 
| 14 |   11.148|  650.858|   11.859|  793.519|      -142.661| 
| 15 |    8.221|  659.079|   11.510|  805.029|      -145.950| 
| 16 |    6.839|  665.918|   10.813|  815.842|      -149.924| 
| 17 |         |         |    9.184|  825.026|              | 
| 18 |         |         |    9.366|  834.392|              | 
| 19 |         |         |    8.147|  842.538|              | 
| 20 |         |         |    7.595|  850.134|              | 
| 21 |         |         |    8.110|  858.243|              | 
| 22 |         |         |   12.501|  870.745|              | 
| 23 |         |         |    7.639|  878.384|              |
| 24 |         |         |    6.854|  885.238|              |
| 25 |         |         |    6.010|  891.248|              |
| 26 |         |         |    5.352|  896.600|              |
| 27 |         |         |    4.940|  901.540|              |
| 28 |         |         |    5.007|  906.547|              |
| 29 |         |         |    4.442|  910.989|              |
| 30 |         |         |    3.882|  914.871|              |
| 31 |         |         |    3.896|  918.767|              |
| 32 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 33 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 34 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 35 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 36 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 37 |         |         |        -|        -|              |
| 38 |         |         |        -|  943.459|              |
| 39 |         |         |   15.051|  958.510|              |
| 40 |         |         |   26.931|  985.442|              |
| 41 |         |         |   17.746|1.003.188|              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  | 
| LTD|        -|  665.918|        -|1.003.188|      -337.270|      
-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think they need to bundle the game to reach the million, with Christmas coming.

The problem is the Wii U's hardware situation. That Wii Sports Club bundle is something nobody asked (and nobody wants). They should bundle with Mario 3D Land or another game, or price cut. But they should move soon.

They missed the chance with Mario Kart's launch and they shouldn't miss the chance again.

orochi91

It basically reinforces what we already know, and solidifies the expectation that by March 2015 if the PS4 doesn't turn around, then the consumers have rejected the system.

Just for clarification purposes here, what do you consider a turn around in terms of
weekly sales?

50k+ ?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Isn't the above situation like every year - A lack of 3DS announcements?

Third-party developers seem to concentrate their resources on Sony platforms in the first half of the year while in the second half most of their software releases are on the Nintendo 3DS.

Sept-Dec Schedule (100k + sellers):

Haikyu!
Monster Hunter 4G
Tales of the World
One Piece
Etrian Odyssey
Attack on Titan
Final Fantasy Explorers
+ A plethora of Bandai Namco games

The above, with the exception of Monster Hunter 4G I believe, were not announced at TGS.

The release schedule could be applied mostly for last year as well - I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest.

Actually, I can perfectly remember doubts about lack of announcements at TGS for 3DS in 2012 as well, not jus 2013.
And I think TGS has not been the home for lots of brand new announcements for a while, it's always been the pre-TGS (especially thanks to Sony's pre-TGS conference).

I don't know, I think it's a bit premature to say these kind of things: last years have shown 3DS announcements come out with a different pace, not all around TGS. I think we're going to see brand new titles with New 3DS also in mind (enhanced) in the next future, maybe we'll see one / two exclusives for the revision announced at the end of this year / early next year. Nintendo said there are exclusives in development, but not expecting too many of them from 3rd parties, especially at the beginning. There could be a Direct about new 3DS with new 3rd parties games being announced: the last 3rd party Direct surprised me with teasers for both Derby Stallion and Kenka Bancho, given the other ones didn't have new stuff at all.

EDIT: Of course, while I post Devil Survivor 2: BreakRecord reappears after ages :lol

Mory Dunz

Actually, I can perfectly remember doubts about lack of announcements at TGS for 3DS in 2012 as well, not jus 2013.
And I think TGS has not been the home for lots of brand new announcements for a while, it's always been the pre-TGS (especially thanks to Sony's pre-TGS conference).

I don't know, I think it's a bit premature to say these kind of things: last years have shown 3DS announcements come out with a different pace, not all around TGS. I think we're going to see brand new titles with New 3DS also in mind (enhanced) in the next future, maybe we'll see one / two exclusives for the revision announced at the end of this year / early next year. Nintendo said there are exclusives in development, but not expecting too many of them from 3rd parties, especially at the beginning.

Do you think Marjora Mask remake exists and do you think it's a n3DS exclusive? (I kind of do)

I still don't see who would bother with making n3DS exclusives on a large scale without a large financial incentive. I don't ever expect a single non 1st party exclusive on the thing to be a 200k+ seller.

3DS is such a shit platform for devs even if there's only like 10 of them on the device

its library is large composed of a bunch of games that sell like 100k, 50k, sub 30k.... then we got some in the 250k-500k range, same with the multimillions. but mostly those <100k games that are fucking garbage

I ain't even high

This really shows some lack of perspective, in my opinion.

Even last year, there was the mood that 3DS was going to have few games announced and a bad 2014, software-wise. The issue is: it's really difficult to assess 3DS line-up in the long-term, because of two reasons: many games are announced just a few months before the release (true for other platforms as well), and many games are unexpected hits (kind of peculiar here).

Just to show the different way people treat announcements on 3DS and PSV. The latter had a good show-up before and during TGS; nevertheless, many announcements were about niche games, that will not crack the 60-70k mark; other announcements were "expected" in a sense (new Neptunia, new Ys, new Senran Kagura, God Eater expansion, etc.). Overall, nothing commercially relevant.

3DS had, on the other hand, a fairly big game from each of the main Japanese software house: Level-5 (Yo-kai Watch); Capcom (Monster Hunter, Gyakuten Saiban); Square Enix (Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second); Bandai Namco (One Piece Super Grand Battle X), Spike Chunsoft (Attack on Titan Chain), Marvelous (Popolocrois), Enterbrain (Derby Stallion Gold); those, instead, that announced "smaller" games released something "big" recently, such as Atlus (Persona Q). Then there are software houses that never been big on 3DS, such as Sega (that has a new Hatsune Miku; Project Mirai), Koei Tecmo (Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3rd) and Konami (they might announce a new Magician's Quest, which typically does around 200k).

My idea is that we don't tend to consider games that are not in line with the average video gamer's tastes; and 3DS has a lot of them, because aimed at kids or young girls. We talk about new Ys, new Neptunia, new Senran Kagura on PSV, when actually Aikatsu game by Bandai Namco (a sort of idol game for girls) might sell 150-200k units (the last year entry went to sell 250k units).

So, in my opinion, 3DS didn't have a bad showing at TGS. It had less quantity, for sure, but games with higher commercial relevance. Also: it is very possible that some software houses haven't announced yet their plans for end-2014 / 2015, such as Level-5; and a DQM might pop out sooner or later. Finally, as already mentioned some posts ago, 3DS has a lot of suprise hits, that are difficult to forecast in advance; who ever thought in April that YW would become a 3m IP? Or that DQX went to sell 100k on the platform? Given its installed base, these situations are very common; just think that last year Bandai Namco sold 1m units of Run for Money and Disney Magic Castle, among the biggest hits of the company of the past years, and no one saw them coming.

Mory Dunz

I still don't see who would bother with making n3DS exclusives on a large scale without a large financial incentive. I don't ever expect a single non 1st party exclusive on the thing to be a 200k+ seller.

I would only expect a big n3DS exlcusive to be 1st party.

BriBri

Why are people talking about the n3DS and 3DS as black or white. Didn't the Game Boy Color mainly consist of games compatible on both devices yet looked better in the newer model?

I wonder if Kaio and Rodea will come back.

It's weird. Last December, Marvelous updated the website (which is still up), with a 2014 release date. Inafune stated that the development was basically finished, and Marvelous had just to publish it.

Same with Rodea, at least for its 3DS version. Last Summer, Kadokawa president stated that the game development was about 70%.

Jethro

I don't think they need to bundle the game to reach the million, with Christmas coming.

The problem is the Wii U's hardware situation. That Wii Sports Club bundle is something nobody asked (and nobody wants). They should bundle with Mario 3D Land or another game, or price cut. But they should move soon.

Like last year I think they will announce new bundles for October (Mario Themed Wii U with Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8?) because there is nothing else on the shelves (after Fatal Frame?) until Smash is released.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

hiska-kun

Hey hiska-kun any digital sales or blog impressions?

I posted a preview for digital some pages ago. Next week the Final Data for August.
Blogs are talking about TGS.

GamesMaya updated today that Bayonetta 2 has been bought almost only by people who had the game pre-ordered.

Shipment is low (at least in this shop).

481 releases in Japan from which GameBoy Color only were 252.

1998 - 25 / 0
1999 - 115 / 29
2000 - 71 / 105
2001 - 16 / 103
2002 - 2 / 13
2003 - 0 / 2
Total - 229 / 252

edit: Apparently there is a double pack for Pokemon, first time this happens.

Wait what on the Pokemon comment?

Why are people talking about the n3DS and 3DS as black or white. Didn't the Game Boy Color mainly consist of games compatible on both devices yet looked better in the newer model?

Well on one hand it really doesn't matter because the people who want a 3DS will soon have only the new 3DS as options when they discontinue the old models, but if we're talking about upgrading from the 3DS to n3DS having better looking versions is not going to be a big draw.

Mpl90

Btw, what's Bayonetta 2's price on the Japanese eShop? I mean without Bayonetta 1. Is it cheaper? In the case, how much?

Just to get a better idea on the matter.

Whoa, where and when did they confirm that they will soon be discontinuing the old models?
Because it obvious? It doesn't make sense in terms of development costs to keep make the classic models after the new ones are introduced, plus (correct me if im wrong) aren't the prices for the new devices close to the cuarrent ones for the Original 3DS and LL?

We don't need confirmation, it's pretty much a given. Would go as far as say Nintendo is not making them right now and it's just waiting to clear the old stock in the rest of the territories.

Eolz

Whoa, where and when did they confirm that they will soon be discontinuing the old models?

They'll probably never confirm it, but that's sort of what happened with the DS tank, the DS Lite, the first 3DS (it's mostly Xl and 2DS now in terms of stock).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Because it obvious? It doesn't make sense in terms of development costs to keep make the classic models after the new ones are introduced, plus (correct me if im wrong) aren't the prices for the new devices close to the cuarrent ones for the Original 3DS and LL?

We don't need confirmation, it's pretty much a given. Would go as far as say Nintendo is not making them right now and it's just waiting to clear the old stock in the rest of the territories.

MAYBE launching Smash one month before the redesign is part of Nintendo's strategy to get rid of a good amount of remaining stock.

They'll probably never confirm it, but that's sort of what happened with the DS tank, the DS Lite, the first 3DS (it's mostly Xl and 2DS now in terms of stock).

I think I still see OG 3DS stock in Canada, like I just saw a pink one yesterday or so at The Source. Did they not just release new OG colors not long ago (this year) in JP and maybe in other regions?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
MAYBE launching Smash one month before the redesign is part of Nintendo's strategy to get rid of a good amount of remaining stock.

Shipments of the 3DS were at 16.150 by Q1.

Another 150k was most likely shipped to stores for Q2.

It's very plausible that Nintendo wanted to get rid of the remaining stock prior to launching the New 3DS, discontinue the old models moving forward - get dat faceplate monies. I'm also positive that the newer models are more profitable than the previous versions as well.

extralite

Btw, what's Bayonetta 2's price on the Japanese eShop? I mean without Bayonetta 1. Is it cheaper? In the case, how much?

Just to get a better idea on the matter.

You can't buy it without the first one.

Edit: I looked it up and you can only download it within 90 days of obtaining the download code. So both games are sold together permanently. Anyway, no cheaper version with just the second one. It is the usual price for a single game of that sort though.

Mpl90

I hope we're going to get some infos about faceplates' sales, when New 3DS is released. I'm very curious to see how much they're going to sell; they seem like a pretty good idea, an opportunity to gain more from New 3DS' customers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All software spots for the holiday schedule on 3DS are full - the system is selling and the userbase is there. Its not in a situation like WiiU/PS4 or Vita where people have to take every announcement and over analyse it into the future performance and viability of the system.

There is no reason for Capcom, Bamco, Sega or Co. to announce all their future stuff for the 3DS now - why ? As said the holiday season slots are filled with some of the biggest IPs in the market and a redesign is coming. Why take the focus away from current games when its not needed ? We are just a Nintendo Direct and a couple timed 3rd party announcements away from a better outlook anyway. 3DS software sales are very solid, the system could sell 20k a week for the next two years, as long as the software sells devs wont abandon the system.

n3DS will be very big and after that once the holiday season has finished there will be the time for a batch of new bigger announcements.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Holy shit.

Blows my mind that it took them 18 years to do this.

Is is cheaper to pick up this bundle than buying the two separately?

About the same price if purchased separately give or take a few bucks. But you get dem 200 potions included.

Buy of the year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road to TGS&#8482;.

I excluded Zodiac as it's being developed in Dundee.

I've also been excluding platform additions prior to release like MGSV, Dragon Ball XV, and Sengoku Hime 5.

Did I miss anything?

Full list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-zF0jwT0Y1a3kcNbnRJYt323BgFtXwmAZHRF2vwzkZU/edit?usp=sharing

Project Scissors
Platforms: iOS/Android/Vita
Genre: Horror
Publisher: Nude Maker
Developer: Nude Maker
Special Notes:
-A spiritual successor to Clock Tower
-Has the director of Clock tower, a notable creature designer from Silent Hill, and creative production from the director of Ju-on and The Grudge.

Chrono String
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: RPG
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Tri-Ace
Special Notes:
-Previous Konami and Tri-Ace had worked on Frontier Gate for PSP.
-Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbZ9imPzNQ
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/konami-tri-ace-announce-new-smartphone-rpg

The Legend of Legacy
Platforms: 3DS
Publisher: FuRyu
Developer: FuRyu
Special Notes:
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/furyu-announces-legend-legacy-3ds

The Seven Deadly Sins
Publisher: DeNA
Developer: Racjin
Special Notes:
-This is separate from the 3DS game.
-Website: https://ssl.mbga.jp/_game_pre_register?gid=12020558

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe
Platforms: 3DS
Genre: Rhythm
Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sega
Special Notes:
-This is a reverse import of the English release of Hatsune Miku 3DS. It had a couple of changes so now they're re-releasing it in Japan as well.

Inferno Climber
Platforms: PS4
Genre: Action RPG
Publisher: Arc System Works
Developer: Arc System Works
Special Notes:
-While this looks like a PSN game, I'm not entirely sure it is, so I'm writing it down as retail for now.
-Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQoGR6Dgq2I
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/arc-system-works-announces-ps4-action-rpg-inferno-climber

Azito x Tatsunoko Legends
Platforms: Xbox One
Genre: Unclear
Publisher: Azito
Developer: Azito
Special Notes:
-This was previously a logo game, but now we have actual footage, so it's getting added. This is true for a couple other Xbox One games too.
-It looks kind of like a city building/secret base type game but presented in a Terraria fashion.
-Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Mk0LbbOQs
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/xbox-ones-new-azito-game-tatsunoko-crossover

Raiden V
Genre: Shmup
Publisher: Moss
Developer: Moss
Special Notes:
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/next-raiden-game-raiden-v

Final Fantasy Agito+
Platforms: Vita f2p
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Square Enix
Special Notes:
-This is a port of the iOS/Android game. It's f2p, but you can buy a retail package with bonus stuff if you want.
-Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgoEtVsc28
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-agito-announced-ps-vita

Knights of Valour
Platforms: PS4 f2p
Genre: Sidescroller
Publisher: International Games Systems
Developer: International Games Systems
Special Notes:
-More specifically, it's a beat 'em up a la classic arcade games.
-Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbLJ3WusQ4
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/free-play-knights-valour-announced-ps4

Dungeon Travelers 2-2
Platforms: Vita
Publisher: Aquaplus
Developer: Aquaplus
Special Notes:
-Dungeon Travelers 2 originally released for PSP, so I can't tell if this is a sequel or some kind of enhanced release.
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/dungeon-travelers-2-2-announced-ps-vita

Summon Night: Memories
Genre: Social Simulation RPG
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Developer: Unclear
Special Notes:
-The combat system works like previous games.
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/summon-night-smartphone-game-announced

Natsuki Chronicle
Genre: Shmup
Publisher: Qute
Developer: Qute
Special Notes:
-The game focuses on &#8220;shooting,&#8221; &#8220;story,&#8221; and &#8220;customization"
-Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/natsuki-chronicle-trailer-set-tokyo-game-show
-Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g09MyTxcco

Neptunia Re;Birth 3
Platforms: Vita
Publisher: Idea Factory
Developer: Compile Heart
Special Notes:
-Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=898349

Scum

Cheers, Niro. :)

Edit: I looked it up and you can only download it within 90 days of obtaining the download code. So both games are sold together permanently. Anyway, no cheaper version with just the second one. It is the usual price for a single game of that sort though.

..Why, NCL? Why? D:

Mpl90

Ah, ok, that makes far more sense than having Bayo 1 for just 90 days. XD
Thanks as always.

BriBri

I hope we're going to get some infos about faceplates' sales, when New 3DS is released. I'm very curious to see how much they're going to sell; they seem like a pretty good idea, an opportunity to gain more from New 3DS' customers.
I find the most interesting thing about the new faceplates is that I feel it will detract from future New Nintendo 3DS purchases from (then) current New Nintendo 3DS owners as why buy a(nother) New model when you can just buy a faceplate?

Mpl90

I find the most interesting thing about the new faceplates is that I feel it will detract from future New Nintendo 3DS purchases from (then) current New Nintendo 3DS's as why buy a(nother) New model when you can just buy a faceplate?

I suppose it's because the possible main audience for the regular New 3DS (a.k.a. children / more "mass audience" ) don't care that much about special editions, so having them buying faceplates instead of whole new consoles could be far better, revenue-wise.

And that's probably the same reason behind the New 3DS XL NOT having face plates: it's the model that's probably aimed at a more adult / core audience, thus an audience which is far more used to buying brand new consoles just for a special design on it.

BriBri

I suppose it's because the possible main audience for the regular New 3DS (a.k.a. children / more "mass audience" ) don't care that much about special editions, so having them buying faceplates instead of whole new consoles could be far better, revenue-wise.
I love how I fall into the "children" category again!

And I wonder if faceplates will come later for the LL/XL or not at all?

Shipments of the 3DS were at 16.150 by Q1.

Another 150k was most likely shipped to stores for Q2.

It's very plausible that Nintendo wanted to get rid of the remaining stock prior to launching the New 3DS, discontinue the old models moving forward - get dat faceplate monies. I'm also positive that the newer models are more profitable than the previous versions as well.
About the higher profit margins, are you basing this is some concrete information or just a hunch/gut feeling?

Would be a neede brake for them. Wonder how the margins are in relation to the Wii U? Vaguely remember that news piece about the factory that manufactured the MCM closing its doors and the effect it could have on Wii U margins.

Top Bottom