• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Melchiah

I wanted to start on casual on first playthrough and i hadn't noticed so far but apparently there is auto-aim on casual difficulty

PR43Xgmh.jpg

Yikes... i'll avoid it like a plague

I think it sucks, that lowering the difficulty restarts the chapter from the beginning. If I get stuck in the end of the chapter, and have to lower the setting, I sure as hell don't want to replay it all the way through. Repetition ruins the atmosphere.

EDIT: And a lower level without auto-aim would be also preferable.

I think it sucks, that lowering the difficulty restarts the chapter from the beginning. If I get stuck in the end of the chapter, and have to lower the setting, I sure as hell don't want to replay it all the way through. Repetition ruins the atmosphere.

Yeah that and auto-aim. I'm glad we can turn it off.

ArjanN

He liked it better. I'm not going to judge it until I've played it for myself but they obviously put some effort into it if they played around with the camera that much.

It's also pretty common for horror games anyway, the more zoomed out you are the more detached you feel from the character. A big part of why RE4 was still pretty tense is because it's easy for enemies to sneak up from behind/your sides.

It can suck for people who are sensitive to motion sickness though.

It's also pretty common for horror games anyway, the more zoomed out you are the more detached you feel from the character. A big part of why RE4 was still pretty tense is because it's easy for enemies to sneak up from behind/your sides.

It can suck for people who are sensitive to motion sickness though.

It's been a while since i played re4 but i'm pretty sure when you aim it wasn't just showing leons hands, the evil within seems to be taking inspiration from re6 with it's up close and personal camera bullshit, but taking it even further by cropping out the character altogether.
i'm sorry but mikami got it spot on with re4, why the hell did they feel the need mess around with it, especially at the last minute before release.
Maybe some gaffers on the last few pages are correct, they might have changed it to go after the fps crowd to make sure they turn a profit.

T.O.P

Banned
So apparently there's no english voices in non-english speaking european countries. What the hell Bethesda? Are we back in the 80's? Had to cancel my french preorder and go to amazon UK instead...

Is this confirmed?

I'm gonna cancel my italian pre-order if true

I can't play with ITA dub, at all :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's been a while since i played re4 but i'm pretty sure when you aim it wasn't just showing leons hands, the evil within seems to be taking inspiration from re6 with it's up close and personal camera bullshit, but taking it even further by cropping out the character altogether.
i'm sorry but mikami got it spot on with re4, why the hell did they feel the need mess around with it, especially at the last minute before release.
Maybe some gaffers on the last few pages are correct, they might have changed it to go after the fps crowd to make sure they turn a profit.

Yeah, RE4 was more like the middle picture in that pic above where Leon was still in sight. The camera actually pulled back more as the game progressed to the point where you started to see Leon's entire body while moving around, but it changed depending on scene. I'm kinda curious if this will be similar or not.

RE6 actually patched in a wide range of FoV options after people complained.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE6 actually patched in a wide range of FoV options after people complained.

That was a necessity .. the characters in RE6 took up half the damn screen when aiming.

Gears still has the best of this where you only see the corner of your player's head in the lower left when aiming. The more screen available for aiming, the better.

I-e I don't understand why people are complaining about the zoom when aiming, it's not that bad when you're already playing a game that adds black bars, you wanna see as much of the screen space as you can right ?

Awful, at least they could have given us the option to change the camera.

Mikami pls.

You can tell gstaff in yesterday's live gameplay demo on twitch really had trouble with the camera, shit this could be a huge contra for the game.

Aside from the frame rate (at London EGX) I also felt the camera angle was pretty annoying at times.
Bethesda. I blame you for everything.

I can confirm it's true. Just called my game shop and they said that there is no English VO in the German/Austrian version. Unforunately they already sent it.

What. a. fucking. bullshit.

It's like we're back in the 90s. Shit makes my blood boil.

Yeah, Bethesda does it every fucking single time. I had to play Dishonored with that terrible italian VA, still have nightmares about it.
Luckily, I had a hunch so I pre-ordered TEW on Amazon.co.uk.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hmm... very surprising. PS3 impressions state the performance is solid.

This is IDTech, but its not megatextures, right ?

Rare drops and didn't affect the gameplay. solid most of the time but its something needs to be mention.

But again I'm very early in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That was a necessity .. the characters in RE6 took up half the damn screen when aiming.

Gears still has the best of this where you only see the corner of your player's head in the lower left when aiming. The more screen available for aiming, the better.

I-e I don't understand why people are complaining about the zoom when aiming, it's not that bad when you're already playing a game that adds black bars, you wanna see as much of the screen space as you can right ?

It might just seem offputting in shots. We'll just have to experience it for ourselves.

Cyborg

So apparently there's no english voices in non-english speaking european countries. What the hell Bethesda? Are we back in the 80's? Had to cancel my french preorder and go to amazon UK instead...

What? So I'm in the Netherlands and wont be able to play it in English?
WTF?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Someone needs to tell Bethesda that non-native english speaking Europeans are not peasants who don't understand Shakespeare's language... I can't believe we still have something like that in 2014...
Oh, I think they perfectly know. My guess is that they do this in hope that the people double dip. Finish the local version and then buy the UK-Verion with the superior VO.
Well, fuck you Bethesda.

Bl@de

Well yesterday I was sad about not having the manual and the physical copy. Today I am happy because Steam has every language on board^^ What a quick turnaround. Because I simply can't stand german localizations ... text okay (was very well executed in RE4) but no voiceover please *cringe*

Xpliskin

funny-gif-cat-peeking-window.gif

Seems spoiler-safe enough for a drive-by.

What's wrong with
"ICH BIN SEBASTIANOS CASTELANOS.
DONDE ESTA RUVIK ?
QUEL CONNARD CE DOCTEUR!"

Btw I wouldn't take one shop's word as "confirmed".

It's always been that you can change a game's language by changing your machine's language or at startup.

Xpliskin

If you look back at other Bethesda releases, it seems to be quite usual for them.

So you mean german people who bought skyrim day 1 weren't able to switch the voiceseven with these tricks ?

Euro games ship with 5 languages, it's been a standard for years.

This really would surprise me. There's no benefit to separate skus by language, unless it's on PSN.

Lerozz

So you mean german people who bought skyrim day 1 weren't able to switch the voiceseven with these tricks ?

Euro games ship with 5 languages, it's been a standard for years.

This really would surprise me. There's no benefit to separate skus by language, unless it's on PSN.

I played Dishonored from a work colleague. It was the german version and it had, let me think, german, french, spanish and italian. Weird as that may be.

I also had a look at ogdb.eu, a german database for games with infos like languages included on the discs and, well, that seems to be business as usual with Bethesda.

Some examples:

http://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=61956

http://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=51118

http://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=70853

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seems spoiler-safe enough for a drive-by.

What's wrong with
"ICH BIN SEBASTIANOS CASTELANOS.
DONDE ESTA RUVIK ?
QUEL CONNARD CE DOCTEUR!"

Btw I wouldn't take one shop's word as "confirmed".

It's always been that you can change a game's language by changing your machine's language or at startup.
My shop tested the German version after I called them, so it's pretty safe to say it's true.

So that guy (Abyss) completed the game. Took him almost 16 hours and 47 deaths.

Looks like there are no extra unlockable modes or outfits.... However there are unlockable weapons.

He unlocked
machine gun and rocket launcher and got some extra skill points.
You also unlock model viewer for characters, enemies, weapons.

Unlockables/rewards screens (SPOILERS MAYBE ?):

http://i.imgur.com/WzURkZ4.png

http://i.imgur.com/nPtAFqz.png

http://i.imgur.com/YD2UhPh.png

http://i.imgur.com/iIonzAG.png

http://i.imgur.com/cFpBfF2.png

http://i.imgur.com/pmWoq48.png

It's kind of disappointing. Maybe you unlock more on higher difficulty ?

So that guy (Abyss) completed the game. Took him almost 16 hours and 47 deaths.

Looks like there are no extra unlockable modes or outfits.... However there are unlockable weapons.

He unlocked
machine gun and rocket launcher and got some extra skill points.
You also unlock model viewer for characters, enemies, weapons.

No or minor spoilers just unlockables/rewards screens:

It's kind of disappointing. Maybe you unlock more on higher difficulty ?

I hope that's not the final boss in the background...

Top Bottom