• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

ibuTFrcq4HjNBQ.gif

So the Wii U just happens to have crap games? Because afaik its got a hell of a catalog...

And.....? Are people that insecure over their consoles that they have to come into review threads and point out positives of other consoles?

I was waiting for the reviews before I committed to buying this, but now Ill be picking it up tomorrow. Congrats Insomniac.

Begaria

Wowww amazing what a dev can do when a first party isnt forcing them to pump out sequel after sequel in horrible franchises.

Yeah! No way in hell Microsoft will fund Sunset Overdrive: Even More Arsenal, Sunset Overdrive: Sodas of Destruction, Sunset Overdrive: A Crackdown in Time, or Sunset Overdrive: Overdrive Matters.

/s

Also, Insomniac? If you do get to make sequels, TOTALLY name your games like that :p

BraXzy

If I change my console to US language or whatever, will this unlock at midnight fot me here in the UK? Screw waiting till Friday -.-

Zephyrus

Banned
Haha except Halo isnt a horrible franchise like R&C and Resistance.

what? since when are those franchises bad?

R&C is one of the best platformers of the ps2 and ps3 era.

Resistance only had one bad game, resistance 2.

How is someone who says R&C is horrible, praising Sunset overdrive when the gameplay is pretty much copy pasted from it.

samn

R&C is one of the best platformers of the ps2 and ps3 era.

I really really tried to like Ratchet when I got a PS3, but all the games I played had meh gameplay, low polish and awful 'humour'. The writing was much poorer than I had come to expect from reviews.

Zephyrus

Banned
Hey maybe if Sony had given them some freedom they would have gotten SO instead of a string of bad games.

Resistance fall of man, Resistance 3, ratchet and clank tools of destruction and ratchet and clank a crack in time are not bad games. Some of them being arguably better than SO

Even though it's Harmonix, I think we can slot Fantasia in as 3/3 for MS so far. 3 Xbox exclusives all 80 or above on MC is pretty good.

And they also had D4, and Dance Central... Not sure how they all fared in reviews but these are in the very least all very solid good games.

Add that to KI S2, and the upcoming Ori and the Blind Forest coming, and yeah, kinda hard to disagree MS delivered big time this year.

And then there are still many 3rd parties to make my wallet cry XD

LQX

For all the hype this game was getting it looked so bland(even with all that color), boring and slow for the type of game it is. Very glad that is not the case and it is getting mostly good to great reviews.

Jomjom

Banned
And they also had D4, and Dance Central... Not sure how they all fared in reviews but these are in the very least all very solid good games.

Add that to KI S2, and the upcoming Ori and the Blind Forest coming, and yeah, kinda hard to disagree MS delivered big time this year.

And then there are still many 3rd parties to make my wallet cry XD

Yeah like Ive said before, MS needs to give whoever greenlights exclusives a huge raise (Phil?). The guy or gal obviously has an amazing eye for quality.

Except for Ryse and Crimson Dragon, everything exclusive has been amazing.

Zephyrus

Banned
I really really tried to like Ratchet when I got a PS3, but all the games I played had meh gameplay, low polish and awful 'humour'. The writing was much poorer than I had come to expect from reviews.

then I'm afraid you won't like SO.

Sure there are some stinkers in the series (all 4 one and the low budget ones that sold for 20 dollars/euros), but to say ACiT and ToD are bad?

You have to be a mindless fanboy to say that and keep a straight face.

Sure there are some stinkers in the series (all 4 one and the low budget ones that sold for 20 dollars/euros), but to say ACiT and ToD are bad?

Agreed. And to call Insomniac games unpolished is just crazy talk.

Hey maybe if Sony had given them some freedom they would have gotten SO instead of a string of bad games.

Sony never owned them... The "bad" games were solely Insomniac's decision to make, but you're wrong anyway. They made a couple mediocre Ratchet games and that was it.

Jomjom

Banned
Sony never owned them... The "bad" games were solely Insomniac's decision to make, but you're wrong anyway. They made a couple mediocre Ratchet games and that was it.

I know they didnt own them, but you cannot tell me Sony was not funding Ratchet and Resistance games only. I'm sure if they had given Insomniac funding to try something new, they would have. But Sony wanted its competitor to Mario and Halo I guess. Which just sounds ridiculous to even compare.

Sorry I understand there are people who like those games, but the last bunch of games in the series have been unimaginative garbage in my opinion. In any case its getting way too off topic. I'm just glad Insomniac is back!

There were two bad games. I wouldnt describe any of them as unimaginative.

E92 M3

One last thing I need to know if there is a NG+ or some kind of free roam at the end of the game. The coop isn't as exciting to me, but I love NG+

Yeah like Ive said before, MS needs to give whoever greenlights exclusives a huge raise (Phil?). The guy or gal obviously has an amazing eye for quality.

Except for Ryse and Crimson Dragon, everything exclusive has been amazing.

I liked Ruse, it clearly lacks content, but I think they nailed the combat and it's such a joy to play (on higher difficult levels at least), but, as much as it pains me to say, Crimson Dragon is indeed my big letdown from MS 1st year lineup. I do hope they still work together to make one more game on the franchise, I want me my Crimson Dragon Saga XD

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you dare rub it in. Don't you do it. I'm on the edge right now, Steve...

Seriously, I'm so tempted to do this....I want to hold out though as I need to start spending some of my built up XBL money and this would make a nice dent in it. £61 for the DE with season pass. I think that's pretty fair.

I'll see how my resolve holds up tonight when I'm near my console...
Hey Miles, guess what... I bought it on US Store too and I live in sunny 'norn iron'. :p

Isn't it just the HongKong store that won't take credit cards? I think the other stores are fine.
As far I as I aware but I only buy from the US using gift cards.

Jomjom

Banned
There were two bad games. I wouldnt describe any of them as unimaginative.

To me they just got to the point of "hey what kind of crazy weaponry can we design since thats what everyone says is our calling card". All the while the gameplay was getting extremely boring and stale. There wasnt any kind of gameplay renaissance in the series like Mario Galaxy.

samn

Yep, those were the two I played. And they just felt like a slog :(

I know they didnt own them, but you cannot tell me Sony was not funding Ratchet and Resistance games only. I'm sure if they had given Insomniac funding to try something new, they would have. But Sony wanted its competitor to Mario and Halo I guess. Which just sounds ridiculous to even compare.

I'm not sure what Sony was willing to fund. Not this game obviously, but if Insomniac really wanted to stop Ratchet and Resistance, they could have easily done that earlier and found another publisher. They had an excellent reputation before 2010, which hopefully seems to be coming back, that would have allowed them plenty of freedom.

Top Bottom