• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (Dec 5): VGAs replacement [funded by] Keighley, game world premiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I think the main thing will be the categories that they have for the awards. I hope it's as diverse as can be. I remember that being an issue in the past in terms of not representing certain genres.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Hi Geoff, I'm a big fan and have been watching since the G4TV.com show. I wanted to ask:

1) Is that Mega64 Puppet interview where you get angry staged or real?

2) Is Joel McHale returning? I loved how you guys interacted during VGX and thought you made a great pair.

Yes, that was staged.

Not sure about Joel!

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Is there any connection between this year's show and the PlayStation Experience event?

It's going to be an awesome one-two punch of the awards on Friday night, then PlayStation Experience on Sat/Sun. The fact that event is in Vegas gave me confidence to do the show in a pretty big 7,000 seat theater and invite the public in a big way.

There will be some other publisher events too, but I'll let them announce those on their own schedules.

Answers:

1.) I don't think it will be black tie.

2.) The awards will be selected by a combination of the press and fans. More details will be announced in the coming weeks about that.

3.) Well I've been working on this for a while now. It actually started in earnest after Last of Us: One Night Live. Neil turned to me as we walked off stage and said, "You should make the awards feel like that." It's been a few months of aligning with all the publishers and platforms, and I'm truly honored they have all put competition aside to support the show.

4.) Yes, I'm very excited about what we're building. Tight timeline this year, but I'm excited by what is coming together.

THAT is fantastic to hear. I'm hoping you guys pull this off.

Hi Geoff, I'm a little confused about how you select the actual winners, is it a combo of audience votes and the press or (or are you just referring to nominations) or is it just the press who choose who ends up with the trophy?

Trojan

Thanks for the vote of confidence! How can I avoid it being a train wreck in your eyes?

Geoff - I've been a long-time supporter since your days back on G4, and I would say that, as a host, I think you are head-and-shoulders above most in the industry. I also get that one of the primary motives in your career, based on comments from your own interviews, is that you're trying to build awareness and scope for the industry through your work.

One of the side-effects of building that awareness: events that can look too cozy to big business, whether it be over-use of advertising tie-ins or a feeling that publishers/big companies are pulling the strings too much. For this event, I would try as much as possible to focus solely on the games and the games creators. Intimate interviews, behind-the-scenes sneak-peeks, and highlighting the personal impact of the games would all be good directions to take. It's fine if a publisher wants to splash some tie-ins with their game, but I would avoid having this be an extended commercial for these games. I think that's been the major criticism in the past, at least from what I've heard.

Looking forward to this event - keep up the good work.

v3numb

How is award selection going to be handled? Are members of the gaming press involved in any way or can we just expect all these huge pubs to swap awards and take turns patting themselves on the back?

V_Ben

Banned
Saw the twitter account was following Anita Sarkeesian. It'd be wonderful if she had the opportunity to present an award.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
How is award selection going to be handled? Are membars of the gaming press involved in any way or can we just expect all these huge pubs to swap awards and take turns patting themselves on the back?

Publishers have no involvement in the selection of nominees or winners. That's handled by the press and some fan categories.

Yo Geoff, great work with the The Last of Us : One Night Live show, much respect. Was a hell of a show.

I would say just don't pander to the audience like we are still 10 year old kiddies with our Nintendo's. Thats how it feels sometimes with the cheap humor and such. I don't HAVE to laugh at an awards show. Just let it be a night to celebrate the creators of the games we love and to hand out awards to those who work so hard to put these games on our screens, or to provide awesome voice acting to our characters, or awesome music to our backgrounds.

Effect

So viewable from all devices. Does Nintendo even have things steam to the Wii U? I know Nintendo Directs are uploaded to the eShop as soon as they're done, same with the E3 presentations. However live is something I haven't seen them do.

Some clarification on this front would be nice. Wonder if Nintendo will be announcing something soon to make this possible.

Valve is involved? Meh, not gonna get my hopes up for L4D3 but.. L4D3.

What if... what if they are there not for the awards, but show up anyways, because they are really there for the PlayStation event. And the game they are showing is the thing that's been teased on Twitter by people? What would happen to GAF in HL3 is revealed as a console exclusive for PS4?

HardRojo

To be honest I've always cared more about the premieres and reveals rather than the awards themselves so I'm fine with this as long as they keep the surprises.
So who is hosting? No Joel please. Guy is a waste of space.
This too. Never been a fan of the "I keep a serious face after telling a joke so you think I'm being serious" style of comedy.

wildfire

Banned
Since you are taking questions what have you learned from VGX and VGA that you will carry forward or avoid doing? Just because Spike isn't involved in any way doesn't negate your experience so far has been doing these shows.

What coverage are you guys planning for indie and smaller budget studios?

Since you are taking questions what have you learned from VGX and VGA that you will carry forward or avoid doing? Just because Spike isn't involved in any way doesn't negate your experience so far has been doing these shows.

This is also a really good question.

v3numb

Publishers have no involvement in the selection of nominees or winners. That's handled by the press and some fan categories.

Cool, thanks for the response, any info on where/when fan voting will take place or what this years categories will be?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Firstly, congrats geoffmk on organizing such an event :)

Secondly, how did this idea come about? And how involved were Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft in the creation of this Game Awards show, as the Variety article implies that they "paired-up" to build such a format.

I would love to know. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom