• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Photomode |OT| The better you look, the more you can get away with.

Vein

Banned
So can someone tell what they did with AA in photomode? Is it something they will never even be able to half-reach in game someday? Seems maybe like supersampling. Man, I would kill for that AA in game. Almost brings me a tear to me eye at least we get it in photomode tho.

Still, any kind of improvement in the next 6 months would be cool.

Auctopus

Too late. I give it a 6.8.

00204_178705.jpg

Caayn

That non-photomode capture has natural in-game blur that's blurring the details found in the stand-still photos though. The shadow quality and LOD look the same to me.
Nope. Shadow quality is a lot better in photo mode, here's a better example with all three shots standing still. The LOD changes and shadow improvements are better visible in these shots. Look at the trees in the background and the shadows to the left of the car for example.

Normal
driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png

Photo mode
driveclubphoto1caayn6vu6s.png

Photo mode letting it render for a few seconds
driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png

KOHIPEET

So can someone tell what they did with AA in photomode? Is it something they will never even be able to half-reach in game someday? Seems maybe like supersampling. Man, I would kill for that AA in game. Almost brings me a tear to me eye at least we get it in photomode tho.

Still, any kind of improvement in the next 6 months would be cool.

Improvements to AA (if there's any) will probably made after the launch of weather. They need some headroom.

barit

Did Evo bump the graphics a bit? There are new sparkling effects and the AA looks way better now in motion. And how do I activate photomode? lol

benzy

edit- I quote the wrong person. lol

Nope. Shadow quality is a lot better in photo mode, here's a better example with all three shots standing still. The LOD changes and shadow improvements are better visible in these shots. Look at the trees in the background and the shadows to the left of the car for example.

Normal
driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png

Photo mode
driveclubphoto1caayn6vu6s.png

Photo mode letting it render for a few seconds
driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png

I can see some shadow differences in the far trees but on the house the shadows look the same. Maybe the AA just smooths those jagged trees more so the shadows end up looking smoother there as well? The distant trees are by far the most jaggied objects in the game. The car shadow looks completely different shaped though. I dunno.

Here the car shadow looks the same to me.

thdyax.jpg

oiueow.jpg

gytyox.jpg

Vroadstar

That non-photomode capture has natural in-game blur that's blurring the details found in the stand-still photos though. The shadow quality and LOD look the same to me.

I agree it's just blurring the details and it's not adding anything at all. LOD looks the same to me as well. Nothing like GT or Forza at all.

Vein

Banned
Supersampling, yes.

And you can do it today if you've got a decent PC.

Well I do use supersampling but I was wondering if they might be able to squeeze more out with their own efficient methods. I mostly doubt it but the game looks good anyway. Photomode AA is so lovely. I just wish we could race this baby in game like that. My PC would easily accomodate it.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Are they using FXAA for image processing? Textures look so much worse in photomode.

Kane1345

I was obsessed with photomode for the Infamous thread and it looks like I'll be obsessed here too! Like everyone else I'm trying to understand all the effects but here are some quick test shots.

driveclub____20141118134730_by_kane1345-d86tui6.jpg

driveclub____20141118133851_by_kane1345-d86tuij.jpg

driveclub____20141118133119_by_kane1345-d86tuir.jpg

Fezan

I was obsessed with photomode for the Infamous thread and it looks like I'll be obsessed here too! Like everyone else I'm trying to understand all the effects but here are some quick test shots.

driveclub____20141118134730_by_kane1345-d86tui6.jpg

Looks like there is serious LOD issue on the background

benzy

Caayn, I saw the shadow LOD changes you were talking about. It's strange, it doesn't happen to all of the shadows and the shadow edges aren't any more soft, it just completely changes the intensity of the shadow. I personally I thought it looked better before.

xarsoa.jpg

aymovs.jpg

Anyway, some more screens.

awyxlw.jpg

djwauu.jpg

symxcu.jpg

Putty

Its a really nice update! Photomode is great but as a few have said, be nice to detatch the camera totally so you can go as high and wide as you want. Imagine looking straight down on the track, seeing all the cars spread out! New tracks are awesome aswell!

Its a really nice update! Photomode is great but as a few have said, be nice to detatch the camera totally so you can go as high and wide as you want. Imagine looking straight down on the track, seeing all the cars spread out! New tracks are awesome aswell!

How would stuff like grass and foilage hold up from above?

Putty

Oh I wasn't criticising, just asking.

Didn't think you were mate 8). Also, if caught at the right moment, you could pick up so many things that the cars might be doing at the point of the shot. Screeching round a bend thus smoke, multiple crashes...all manor of permutations.

kyser73

Wow is the IQ is really that bad without photo-mode? game is really disappointing visually :/

90% of the time you don't notice it because you're focusing on the track & racing.

Game looks gorgeous in motion - could never describe the visuals as 'disappointing'.

benzy

Wow is the IQ is really that bad without photo-mode? game is really disappointing visually :/

Objects rendering thin lines are incredibly jaggies in screens, such as vegetation in the distance or parts of that bridge. Those aren't noticeable when playing even if you're car is at a standstill though. The worse thing about the game is the lack of good AF.

I posted other comparisons of the IQ between in-game and photomode.

http://a.pomf.se/thdyax.jpg
http://a.pomf.se/gytyox.jpg

http://a.pomf.se/xnbrbu.jpg
http://a.pomf.se/jqsmzu.jpg

Yeah but honestly when racing barely noticeable if you ask me, game is simply amazing, the lighting is second to none.

It does look far better at night, dusk or dawn than it does in daylight. Night races look fantastic. I'm sure night racing in the rain will be pretty special.

I'm interested to see if the AA is improved after this update as that is my biggest gripe with the way the game looks.

I certainly don't think DC is the graphical showcase it looked like it was going to be. Aside from Lego Marvel and FIFA, this is probably the worst looking game I own on PS4.

Nyx

The game looks A LOT better when actually playing it on your TV.

It definitely is not ''disapppointing'' visually, not by a long shot.

I certainly don't think DC is the graphical showcase it looked like it was going to be. Aside from Lego Marvel and FIFA, this is probably the worst looking game I own on PS4.

That's just nonsense imo.

Top Bottom