• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Respawning between two business suit guys who proceed ta combo you right back to death is always fun in Double Dragon Advance! Its kinda fair in that you can cheese baddies while they can cheese you!

Games Beaten: 47 / 52
Total Playtime: 550 hours, 37 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Challenge completed! 12/18/14

Finished = beaten, saw credits
Completed = 100%

Games 1 - 43

Game #44: Crash Bandicoot (PSN) - around 7 hours (Finished)
Never beat the first or second games since I started with the third. Now that I know how the groundwork functions I can appreciate all the improvements made later on, some more obvious than others. It's still solid, if obsolete. Kinda like the first Ratchet & Clank.

Game #45: Bayonetta (Wii U) - 10 hours, 35 mins, 33 secs (Finished)
I originally beat this on PS3 (lol) so I had to get a smoother playthrough in before I started the sequel. The port came out pretty good and the costumes are dope. I didn't use any healing items this time around and grew a pair. I also bought the parry as soon as I could and it made the whole thing even better.

Game #46: Bayonetta 2 - 9 hours, 41 mins (Finished)
Cleared on 2nd Climax which may have been a mistake. It seemed easier than the first game's normal mode. Umbran Climax might have something to do with it, or me immediately going from 1 to 2, but whatever, the game is easily one of the top 3 Wii U games and I'm starting 3rd Climax like now. Because Smash is gonna take over soon.

Game #47: Crash Bandicoot 2 (PSN) - like 6 hours (Finished)
Got a couple of gems but really just focused on crystals. This feels more like a sequel than the third game does in terms of presentation. It takes more from the first game and changes it rather than adding new stuff, which it does more toward the end. Mechanically, Crash's mobility increased with a slide and high jump, along with a body slam which honestly just fills up time. The momentum during jumping is more or less removed, which is weird but preferable. And the board/rocket must've lit some sort of fuse at ND if the third game is any indication. Oh, and saving got miles better in that you can actually do it when you want.

Game #48: Crash Bandicoot 3 (PSN) - 5-ish hours (Finished)
Finally, the one I grew up with! The reason I decided to play through these was to see if the second or third one was better. Unlike Spyro where the one I grew up with (2) ended up being my favorite, this one's tougher to decide. They each have their strengths and weaknesses and they balance each other out in my mind. You have more to do gameplay-wise in 3 and it works well when not underwater but 2 is very well-constructed around the core Crash gameplay except for the rocket levels. The music is good in both games though I think 2's is slightly better. I prefer Crash's movement in 3 over the others, especially the Death Tornado Spin. 3 also has the best bosses overall and my favorite Crash villain, N. Tropy. In the end, the biggest point really is the fact that you can use the analog stick in 3 instead of the D-pad, and that's a huge deal considering the PS D-pad. Gonna have to give it to 3 for that. Without it, I couldn't pick.

Game #49: Super Time Force Ultra - 4.8 hours (Finished)
This is probably the cheesiest game I've ever played. Everything from the story to the dialogue to the characters to the graphics to the music reeks of cheese. If you have a problem with cheese you might wanna stand back. The gameplay - the reason I was even thinking of checking this out - is easier to grasp than I thought it was. It's all about planning behind. Time travel and strategy work well together. I mean, you're pretty much time traveling every time you press Continue or load a checkpoint in any other game. Imagine if that last playthrough was still there when you got back. Now add some guns, explosions and general craziness and you have this game. Good stuff.
But dat hug

Game #50: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 79 hours, 09 mins (Finished)
Got all the characters/stages and "completed" all the challenges. Again. Remember when I said Smash is my favorite game series? Actually, just read my 3DS description (Game #41) but remove the content and controls complaints, add a bunch of compliments on presentation and laugh at Smash Tour.

Game #51: Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (PS3) - 36 hours (Finished)
Beat it on Proud. After beating the original in a weekend 8 years ago and having it freeze on me during the final cutscene, then playing the patched version of this briefly, I finally own the damn thing for myself. I like the game but it has issues. The overly-long beginning, overly-abusable Triangle button and overly-unnecessary Disney plots are a drag. The core combat is a bit basic too, but you gain so many options between abilities, magic, summons, reaction commands, guest party members and limits. Hidden items are pretty much gone from the first game so the sense of discovery is removed. The story starts getting convoluted around this point too, though the actual plot of this game is simple enough. With all that said, the game really shines in its presentation. The original game nailed the Disney aesthetic already. It looks pretty damn good in HD and the redone music is lovely. Oh, the Final Mix additions are great too. I'm glad I replayed it.

Game #52: Armillo - 3 hours, 41 mins (Finished)
I've wanted to check this out for a while but didn't think it was worth 8 bucks (I was right). Thanks to the Digital Deluxe Promotion and a price drop it ended up being free. The game's cute. The game and visual design reminded me of PS1/N64, which I think they were going for. Later on the framerate starts to take a hit in some levels, which is obviously no fun in a platformer. The music was surprisingly good.
Shovel Knight shows up for a bit. He launches you.
It was cute.

TIER LIST!

S+ Tier

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

S Tier

3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (PC)
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
8. Super Stardust HD/The Wonderful 101

A+ Tier

10. Bayonetta (Wii U)
11. Super Mario World (Wii U VC)
12. Mario Golf: World Tour
13. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
14. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
15. One Finger Death Punch
16. Crash Team Racing (PSN)
17. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
18. Rayman Legends (PC)
19. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
20. Lethal League
21. Runner2
22. Mario Tennis (3DS VC)
23. Gunman Clive
24. Super Mario 3D Land

A Tier

25. New Super Luigi U/New Super Mario Bros. U
27. Broken Age (Act 1, PC)
28. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Wii U VC)
29. God of War III
30. HarmoKnight
31. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (PS3)
32. Puppeteer
33. Pushmo
34. Pushmo World
35. Red Dead Redemption
36. Fez (PC)
37. Super Time Force Ultra

B Tier

38. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PSN)/Crash Bandicoot 3 (PSN)
40. Toki Tori 2+
41. Tales of Monkey Island (PSN)
42. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (PSN)
43. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PSN)
44. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
45. Pokemon Y
46. Spyro the Dragon (PSN)
47. Nano Assault Neo
48. Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC)

C Tier

49. Armillo
50. Crash Bandicoot (PSN)
51. Divekick (PS3)
52. Retro/Grade (PS3)

And the hour count: 892-903 hours!

Wazzy

Banned
I don't think I'll be able to finish the challenge any more since I got burnt out on playing games for a while but I'm still gonna try and see how many I complete by the end of 2014.

Game #8 Double Dragon Neon - 4 hours
Hoping to finish this tonight.

Game #9 Hard Corps: Uprising - 11 hours 40 minutes
No update.

Game #15 Theatrhythm Curtain Call - ???

I've poured hours into this which kind of burned me out. I'm more than halfway through unlocking all characters but I needed a break from playing so much. The amount of songs and levels is just astounding. I love this game a lot and it's addicting.

Game #16 Warcraft III - ???(Finished)
I recently bought WCIII because I had never finished it and kind of got addicted so I blasted through the whole game on normal. The uniting of all the races to beat the Burning Legion was great and it really hit me how many returning characters and races there are in WoW. I loved the Hero's abilities(Thrallllllll) and there was some pretty difficult levels.

Because of this I started downloading Starcraft and Starcraft II. I also will need WC4 in my life thx <3

Game #17 Crimson Gem - 49 hours and 6 minutes

I'm shocked my play time is so high since I don't feel like I'm very far in the game. Anyway the music and art style are beautiful and remind me of Ragnarok Online. The battle system is giving me Xenogears vibes which is an even bigger draw.

Game #18 Starcraft II - ???

I started this first since I had gotten halfway through Starcraft a long time ago and wanted to see how different this game was. The upgrade/research system is neat and quite helpful and Merc hiring is useful for when I need soldiers ASAP. The story is okay and I think I'm almost done the game since I'm on a planet with
Kerrigan trying to rush me to take the completed Artefact or whatever
but yeah the game is a fun sequel.

Original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121792243&postcount=1390

Game #44: KGB 1953 (PC) [Time Played: 2.5 hours]

header.jpg

Original List
Steam Review

I'm a fan of Point and Clicks, I'm a fan of crazy Russian stuff, I'm also a fan of The X-Files. You'd think KGB 1953 would be really fun to play with all those things considered, but it strangely wasn't. It was actually pretty frustrating.

I'm left wondering just where the story started and at what point it ends. There are plenty of documents and files to read as you progress through the game to flesh out the situation and provide hints and clues to puzzles (and why you're in the bunker) but you never really get any resolve. It's just one big 'what' moment.

One big 'what' moment dotted with lots of smaller 'what' moments in the form of some of the most mind numbingly frantically click and hope puzzles I've experienced in a point and click. Some of them are pretty clever, while the majority rely on you being able to distinguish collectible items from the backgrounds they're hiding in. So you'll find most of time just clicking and hoping and wondering where the logic/reason was behind the solution.

In the end KGB 1953 is a game that should only be experienced by people who want to experience just how odd this game is. Point and click fans might be disappointed by it, and those new to the genre should avoid this completely.

RyoonZ

Banned
I just remembered this thread and lol I haven't updated ever since but I already cleared the challenge months ago and I managed to beat more game than last year already so I just figured I should update my post

Game 1: Katawa Shoujo - 25~ hrs (18 January 2014)
# Hanako route (Best Girl!), I seriously feel attached to the character and don't even wanted to clear other characters route, I got Kenji route first though -_-

Game 2: Chaos;Head - 15 hrs (24 January 2014)

Game 3: Outlast - 6 hrs (6 February 2014)
# Really glad to play this, very tense and atmospheric.

Game 4: Killzone ShadowFall - 10~ hrs (8 February 2014)
# Pretty fun to play through, nothing special though.

Game 5: Resogun - 20 hrs (9 February 2014)
# Really really having great fun with this, increasing your skill and finally got the platinum was awesome!

Game 6: One Piece Pirate Warriors - 25 hrs (18 February 2014)
# Pretty good beat'em up, haven't got the platinum yet

Game 7: One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 - 25 hrs (20 February 2014)
# Larger cast and larger area from the first game

Game 8: Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc - 40~ hrs (25 February 2014)
# Amazing game, must have for Vita

Game 9: Ys Memories of Celceta - 20~ hrs (2 March 2014)
# Latest Ys in the series, love it

Game 10: Ys Oath in Felghana - 12 hrs (4 March 2014)
# Older style of Ys, having jump and some platforming.

Game 11: Ys Seven - 25~ hrs (8 March 2014)
# Same gameplay style with Celceta, the story in Seven is really good, almost made me cry

Game 12: Ys Ark of Napishtim - 12 hrs (10 March 2014)
# Same style with Oath in Felghana, I only have the PSP one which by the way should be avoided at all cost, runs at below 10fps, still managed to beat it though.

Game 13: Ys I Chronicles - 5 hrs (12 March 2014)
# I beat it long time ago but not Ys II Chronicles on PSP, so I figured I'd just replay it again

Game 14: Ys II Chronicles - 6 hrs (15 March 2014)
# Ancient Ys game style with bumping system. Nothing much too said here.

Game 15: Etrian Odyssey Untold Millenium - 40 hrs (16 March 2014)
# I loved story addition in this series, most people hate it but whatever

Game 16: Corpse Party - 10 hrs (17 March 2014)
# Loved the sprite, not really scary but very disturbing story.

Game 17: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - 8 hrs (23 March 2014)
# I don't know what's so good about RULES OF NATURE, come at me!

Game 18: Bioshock - 15 hrs (25 March 2014)
# I prefer BIoshock 2 gameplay, I also don't find anything special about the story, come at me!

Game 19: Etrian Odyssey IV - 40 hrs (26 March 2014)
# Nothing much to said here

Game 20: Metal Gear Solid 3 - 15 hrs (27 March 2014)
# My first entry into this series, my god was this good? This is the best in the series no doubt, SNAKE EATER!!!

Game 21: Bioshock 2 - 15 hrs (29 March 2014)
# Vastly superior gameplay over the first one

Game 22: Metal Gear Solid 4 - 15 hrs (30 March 2014)
# I play this game just to watch the cutscene

Game 23: Vanquish - 8 hrs (2 April 2014)
# Overrated game, meh tier PlatinumGames, come at me!

Game 24: Fire Emblem Awakening - 40 hrs (2 Aprill 2014)
# My first Fire Emblem game, love it! Too bad Code Name STEAM broke the Fire Emblem release which should be 2-3 years between each game :(

Game 25: Persona 4 Golden - 108 hrs (11 April 2014)
# It's Persona 4 baby, what else to say? Must have for Vita

Game 26: Conception 2 - 70 hrs (25 April 2014)
# Dungeon crawler, meh story, meh voiceover.

Game 27: Guacamelee - 20 hrs (29 April 2014)
# Wow this game is good, only a class below Castlevania SOTN

Game 28: inFamous Second Son - 12 hrs (30 April 2014)
# Great graphic, great gameplay, very short

Game 29: Demon Gaze - 40 hrs (10 May 2014)
# Great DungeonRPG, fanservice is only CG though, should not affect much if people don't like fanservice. I hope NISA or whoever will bring more game from this dev Experience

Game 30: Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus - 20 hrs (15 May 2014)
# Traditional R&C is back, very very short. Don't find any problem with the frame rate but will welcome higher or 60fps in next PS4 Ratchet

Game 31: Limbo - 4 hrs (17 May 2014)
# Meh

Game 32: Okami - 40 hrs (21 May 2014)
# God tier game, nuff said

Game 33: Drakengard 3 - 40 hrs (27 May 2014)
# Awful gameplay, awful frame rate, pretty good graphic for a Drakengard, still prefer Nier graphic and gameplay, okay story not Nier tier. That Final Boss though, I HEAR A SOUND!

Game 34: Batman Arkham City - 25 hrs (5 June 2014)
# Nothing much to said here

Game 35: PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate - 20 hrs (7 June 2014)
# Really really good, I love it

Game 36: Lone Survivor - 4 hrs (16 June 2014)
# I don't understand this game, 2deep4me

Game 37: Contrast - 4 hrs (17 June 2014)
# Nice shadow manipulating or whatever it is puzzle

Game 38: Resistance Burning Skies - 10 hrs (18 June 2014)
# Pretty fun to play on Vita, nothing special though

Game 39: Uncharted Golden Abyss - 20 hrs (19 June 2014)
# Uncharted game, love every one of them

Game 40: Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault - 15 hrs (19 June 2014)
# Experimental R&C game, with Tower Defense system, pretty fun though i still prefer traditional R&C in any given day

Game 41: Darksiders 2 - 30 hrs (29 June 2014)
# Awful game, too bloated for its own good, should just cut half of the game.

Game 42: Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - 25 hrs (1 July 2014)
# Discounted on PS Store for like 15 dollars, in Japanese language which I don't understand, pretty good and fun gameplay, the fanservice is novelty, you get tired of it and skip it after seen it a few time.

Game 43: Hannah Montana - 5 hrs (2 July 2014)
# Yeah it's Hannah Montana, Yes I did play this game, I mean Shuhei Yoshida even platinum'd it (I reckon it's his daughter that plyed it), but it's pretty fun kiddy game.

Game 44: Soul Calibur 2 HD - 20 hrs (4 July 2014)
# I just cleared the story or whatever it is and it's pretty much a tutorial and I still didn't find myself good at it after that

Game 45: Dekamori Senran Kagura or Bot Appetit in English - 25 hrs (10 July 2014)
# It's translated in Chinese by Sony, pretty good and simple rhythm game, the Hard and DLC Characters song were really HARD though but the song is really good to hear, heavier fanservice than Shinovi Versus.

Game 46: Legend of Heroes Sen no Kiseki - 150 hrs (27 July 2014)
# Yes you read that right 150 hrs, though it's total playtime, I beat the game in 120 hrs. This is another game translated into Chinese by Sony and Falcom, I skipped all the previous game and went right into this game, I don't care what you think that I should play all previous game, I understand this game and having fun with it, that's all that matters to me. The game is really text heavy, I get sleepy a lot playing this game. The NPC had like 3-4 boxes of text and every single time something happens their text changed, they react to the event happening in the game world and there's a tons of NPC and I talk to every single one of them which contributed to that 150 playtime. The battle system is Grandia based and while nothing special, the M Quartz and Quartz system is what its all about, it's fun tinkering them. Thanks to Sony and Falcom to making this available for me to play, I really had a hard time learning Japanese (which is a lie since I don't even know where to begin to learn).

Game 47: Jacob Jones - 3 hrs (28 July 2014)
#Free PS+ game, adventure games, nothing special I just figured I should beat it since its short and I need refreshing after beating Sen no Kiseki

Game 48: Monster Monpiece - 20 hrs (4 August 2014)
#Oh look a hentai game which this is not, yeah this have rubbing system to make the card stronger and lessen their clothing but the card battle is really fun. But whatever it's hentai game right hurr durr and you should be ashamed hurr durr.

Game 49: Uneathed Trail of Ibn Battuta episode 1 - 4 hrs (15 August 2014)
# LOL an Uncharted clone by amateur dev, this game is really bad but it's free on PS+ and I always wanted to try it so whatever.

Game 50: PlayStation AllStar Battle Royale - 20 hrs (17 August 2014)
# The only bad thing is the cast, not enough memorable character like Cloud, Crash, etc. With more memorable character it should be good.

Game 51: Pac-man Championship DX - 10 hrs (18 August 2014)
#Free PS+ game so I just beat the trophies

Game 52: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 4 hrs (18 August 2014)
#This is a great game!

LOOK I have cleared the goal. You want to know the secret? Just read GAF or whatever website you're visitting for its NEWS and don't ENGAGE in comment.

Game 53: Madagascar 3 - 8 hrs (22 August 2014)
#Bought it last year for like 3 dollars, I figured why not and it's been taunting me to play it ever since and my PS3 HDD is almost empty so I just play it to delete it.

Game 54: Dangaronpa 2 - 50 hrs (28 August 2014)
#Better than first game which is already a GREAT GREAT game, must have!

Game 55: inFamous First Light - 5 hrs (31 August 2014)
# Looks better than Second Son and plays better, shorter though.

Game 56: Flower - 4 hrs (6 September 2014)
#Great game, awful control

Game 57: Knack - 10 hrs (7 August 2014)
#Pretty good game, I reckon everybody dislike it because there are no platforming and the battle is simple as fuck but it's pretty fun to play on harder difficulty.

Game 58: Tales of Xillia - 70 hrs (8 August 2014)
#I already on the final boss area last year but GTA V was coming out so I dropped it and play GTA instead lol, so I beat the final boss and replay it again for Platinum run.

Game 69: Resident Evil Revelations - 12 hrs (15 August 2014)
#I played the 3DS version which is awful because of the control but the graphic on the 3DS in mindblowing, it's a mystery how Capcom did that. On PS3 it's better because of control, you lose 3D but honestly who the fuck still uses 3D system on 3DS?

Game 60: Noby Noby Boy - 4 hrs (15 September 2014)
#There is no beating this game but I cleared all trophy so I'd thought that counts!

Game 61: God of War Ascension - 12 hrs (16 September 2014)
#It's God of War, every game feels the same to me but it's good game so yeah.

Game 62: Total Recoil - 10 hrs (23 September 2014)
#Pretty addictive and fun little game on Vita, I got it for 1 dollar too which is a steal.

Game 63: L.A. Noire - 30 hrs (23 September 2014)
#Great great game, love this game so much, hope to hear about Whore of the Orient soon!

Game 64: Magus - 6 hrs (27 September 2014)
#So bad it's good game, the entire game is laughable but you conquer the world after you beat it lol and you have Lightning / Liara as your subordinate, how cool is that lol

Game 65: Transistor - 6 hrs (19 October 2014)
#Great game, great music, great graphic. great system yeah I don't have a huge vocabulary

Game 66: The Legend of Korra - 8 hrs (22 October 2014)
#Mini Bayonetta, exclusively NOT on WiiU. Great game, obviously critically panned because come on game reviewer CAN NOT play game, every single one of them!

Game 67: Legend of Heroes Sen no Kiseki 2 - 100 hrs (31 October 2014)
#Sequel to Sen no Kiseki obviously and translated in Chinese once again! The game is shorter because it's more action, more story focused because the first game is all about introductory to the worldview and characters, this is focusing on what's left from the first game. Still leaving a lot of mystery to be answered in next game which looks like 2 years from now because they're making Ys 8 for PS4 next year. though I don't mind and I really hope Falcom made a new Zwei game!

Game 68: Steamworld Dig - 6 hrs (7 November 2011)
#Wow this game is beautiful, I loved this type of visual presentation and holy shit the game is only 100~ Mb. Nothing special about this game, you just keep digging and upgrading but it's fun!

74. Pix the Cat / 10 hrs
75. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth / 60+hrs
76. Luftrausers / 4 hrs

I figured I should post three games that I'm not really "done" with but that I've made significant progress on and that can't really be easily completely "finished" in any clear way. All three are fantastic and I will continue to put hours into them.

full list 1050 hours!

Naughty.

Game #46: Bayonetta 2 - 9 hours, 41 mins (Finished)
Cleared on 2nd Climax which may have been a mistake. It seemed easier than the first game's normal mode. Umbran Climax might have something to do with it, or me immediately going from 1 to 2, but whatever, the game is easily one of the top 3 Wii U games and I'm starting 3rd Climax like now. Because Smash is gonna take over soon.

Mono

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear it. FWIW, I've only played the first three, but I thought the second one was the best. Are you 100%ing the game, doing all of the puzzles?

It is sad! I might just go ahead and give the second one a go without finishing the first to see if I like it better. Curious Village just seems a bit aged for whatever reason.

I'm trying to do all the puzzles! I really love how you can still do the ones you missed, especially because the chapters sometimes change rather abruptly. I'm stuck on a few of them, though.

maxcriden

It is sad! I might just go ahead and give the second one a go without finishing the first to see if I like it better. Curious Village just seems a bit aged for whatever reason.

I'm trying to do all the puzzles! I really love how you can still do the ones you missed, especially because the chapters sometimes change rather abruptly. I'm stuck on a few of them, though.

The hint coins and Layton Walkthrough site are pretty invaluable. Some of the puzzles are just kind of impossible and/or occasionally ridiculous, but on the whole I like the ones in The Diabolical Box the best. I hope you enjoy that game more. :)

donny2112

The hint coins and Layton Walkthrough site are pretty invaluable.

Yes. Yes. *thinks some more* Yes. :) Hate leaving puzzles uncompleted, and it's great to have a fallback, if I just can't figure it out (or don't want to waste the time trying *looks angrily at move the block to other side late-game slide-puzzles*).

maxcriden

Yes. Yes. *thinks some more* Yes. :) Hate leaving puzzles uncompleted, and it's great to have a fallback, if I just can't figure it out (or don't want to waste the time trying *looks angrily at move the block to other side late-game slide-puzzles*).

Haha. Sooo true. That site in particular is really excellent. Also, the final secret puzzle in The Diabolical Box is seriously obscenely hard, I've never been able to beat it myself.

Weiss

Banned
Game 55: Valkyria Chronicles - 43 hours

This is the worst kind of game to play, because it does so much well, so many concepts better than other games, creating such a tight, rewarding experience that any sort of criticism I have for it feels that much worse. But I do have some criticism. A pretty bad one.

First, the game is stunningly gorgeous with its cel shaded graphics and watercolour painting aesthetic, and more JRPGs should try it, since it makes the anime look work well on big, HD consoles. Combat is easily the best part of the game, easy to play, but incredibly deep, every fight asking something different of the player, with random variances and surprises cropping up to further that need for good strategy.

The gameplay is practically flawless, and in a genre where the constant grind can get annoying, Valkyria Chronicles making every single fight incredibly fun is a serious accomplish. No, the big problem is with the story. Sufficed to say, it practically ruined my appreciation for the whole game, with idiotic plot twists and character interactions, moments that were meant to be shocking falling incredibly flat, and some incredibly unflattering views on gender roles.

I still loved Valkyria Chronicles, it's easily in my Top 3 PS3 games as of now, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for deep and rewarding gameplay, but I'm just one of those ponces who can't really enjoy a game without a good story, and it actually starts out fairly well with a compelling war story narrative, but the second half is inundated with loads of awful anime cliche, and I just can't look past them.

Kolgar

Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4

41. The Last of Us Remastered [PS4] – 17 hours – finished September 9
This is the second time I played through this masterpiece, as the first was on PS3. I liked it even better this time. And the Left Behind DLC is, as I said, my favorite expansion ever. Surely, The Last of Us Remastered gets a special place in my pantheon of cherished video games.

42. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons [PS3] – 4 hours – finished September 11
Bland character design aside, this is a gorgeous game that recalls the classic PS2 game, Ico, and charms with its touching story and unique twin-stick controls. Or at least it does until the end, when an abrupt change to the controls causes unnecessary frustration and the gratuitously sad conclusion squanders any goodwill the game had won. A bittersweet experience where bitter ultimately triumphs over the sweet.

43. Destiny [Xbox One] – 20 hours – story finished September 21
Played and traded this quickly because Bungie wasn’t lying—Destiny really is a different game after 20 hours. Specifically, it becomes an unplayable, repetitive grind that gives non-OCD players like me no reason to continue. I’ve never been a big fan of Bungie; though I have played nearly every Halo game, the fourth installment (by 343) is easily my favorite. Still, I was enamored with the gunplay in Destiny, and had a great time soloing the story. Too bad the 30-second, first-person gameplay loop, great art, and music are all this game has going for it. Here’s hoping Bungie’s next title includes more story, more depth, more common sense in its game design, and more value for the player.

44. Ryse: Son of Rome [Xbox One] – 7 hours – story finished September 28
I never expected this Xbox One launch game to give me the first real taste of “next-generation” console graphics. But, hoo-boy, this thing is amazing. Spectacular, often nearly photo-realistic visuals and a soaring music score helped propel me through battle after action-packed battle. I found the control layout sensible, the play mechanics simple but satisfying, and the story and acting to be a good deal more interesting than the average game. It’s a shame this title didn’t sell better, but it’s found a place in my home and in my heart, despite a mildly underwhelming final level.

45. Killzone: Mercenary [PS Vita] – 6 hours – finished September 28
Head and shoulders above the execrable PS4 game, Shadow Fall, this game looks a wonder for a handheld title. But can I get a real save system? So terrible having to finish an entire level before quitting. Worse, Guerilla seems to have lost the plot with this franchise after setting a high-water mark with Killzone 2. It’ll take new writers and some strong characters to resuscitate the series, and even then, someone will have to find a way to make the core gameplay fun again.

46. Forza Horizon 2 [Xbox One] – 16 hours – finished October 21
I lost my beloved Persian cat, Shakespeare, in the midst of playing through this game, and I found peaceful escape in Horizon’s picturesque world. It’s definitely all about the journey rather than the destination, however, as unfortunately, the second finale was utterly anticlimactic, without so much as a cutscene featuring my friendly rivalry with “HRZN Ben,” former host of the party. I’ll pop this in again from time to time for online multiplayer, but for single player, I feel I’d seen everything I wanted to see well before the credits rolled. Edit: Scratch that, the online aspect is too cumbersome to bother with. Much as I liked this game, I’ve traded it in.

47. Thomas Was Alone [PS Vita] – 5 hours – finished October 25, 2014
A surprisingly engaging puzzle game featuring colored blocks, each with their own take on gravity. The narration helped imbue each character with its own personality, and the story added memorability to the experience. I’d never have played this but for PS Plus. Thanks, PS Plus!

48. The Last of Us Remastered | Left Behind [PS4] – 3.5 hours – finished late July
I finished this DLC first thing upon buying Remastered, and unfortunately, I must have lost my write-up. For shame, because I’m sure my praise was not just glowing, but incandescent, for I fell in love. At the time, this DLC elevated my entire view of video games as a medium. The characters were great, the dialog was delightful, and it all came together in an experience that was emotionally affecting. I’ll look back on this as one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Oh hey, I found my brief comments in the OT.

49. Apocalypse [PSX] – 6 hours – finished October 25
Glory be to those ugly-ass PSX polygons! Here’s a run-and-gun shooter with Robotron-style controls and Bruce Willis as the smart-talking protagonist. My favorite quip by far was, “Oh, YOU want some… Oh, YOU WANT SOME TOO!”—I now make every effort to work this into conversation as often as possible. Also really enjoyed seeing the singer Poe (“Haunted”) as a character in this game, along with her music video for “Control.” Good fun.

50. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare [PS4] – 6.5 hours – finished November 3
Who got their Titanfall in my Call of Duty? Good call by the devs. After a lukewarm start, my opinion of the game grew as I played it. Yes, I think I had more fun with the Ghosts campaign, but you can't argue with Kevin Spacey or the production values. Cut scenes look gorgeous, but I expected the actual play to look better. I loved the last two levels of the campaign. Adding some Titanfall into MP will just ensure I continue to play this title--when I'm not dropping Titans in that other game.

Looking to close this out with two horror games, Resident Evil 4 (my third play-through) and The Evil Within.

Mono

Games #1 - 40
Games #41 - 45

Game #46: Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke
# Everything was going somewhat smoothly for a Nuzlocke, and I had only lost a few good Pokemon by the time I beat the last gym (my Alakazam took a crit to the face! ;n;). Last time I attempted a SS Nuzlocke, Bugsy got me, so I was really careful this time. I got cocky after I beat the eighth Johto gym and decided to take on the Kimono girls right away with two terrible Pokemon in my party: a fly slave and HM slave.

The Kimono girls somehow brutally murdered my Espeon, Typhlosion, and Red Gyarados. The only leveled Pokemon left on my entire game was my Scyther, henceforth known as the Chosen One. He plowed through the Elite Four like nobody's business with my slightly underleved, terrible replacement party backing him up. Luckily for me, it seems like a lot of the Johto E4 has a bug/flying weakness. I should keep going to Kanto, because my bad party grew on me a bit after destroying the E4.

That Espeon, though. :(

Moral: Always be prepared and don't keep HM slaves in your party unless you absolutely need them. Get lucky and catch a Scyther.

Game #47: Rhythm Theif and the Emperor's Treasure
# Can you say underrated?? I was not expecting this game to be so good. Some of the rhythm games are a bit frustrating and the game is not forgiving at all, but it's absolutely brilliant. The cutscenes are gorgeous and use the system's 3D well. The story and characters are actually great, even though it goes full anime at the end.

If you ever wanted to play a game heavily based around art in Paris where you fight the Big Bad,
literally resurrected Napoleon Boneparte
, through rhythm-based combat, then here's your game. I don't know what Sega was thinking making such a weird, niche game, but it's amazing. Sadly there probably will never be a sequel even though
it ends on a sequel-bait cliffhanger.

Game #48: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Hard)... again
# Fire Emblem addict?? Me??

I've lost count of how many times but at this point, I don't think I want to know. I played it on my DSi XL this time to try to compensate for the game's god-awful, washed-out colour pallette. I was going to do a normal playthrough, but then I got the impulsive urge to recruit Etzel in 17x, so I went full Dictator Marth and got most of my friends killed (save Sheeda and Jeigz so that my kingdom would still prosper -- why yes, I do need Jeigan to accomplish that
even though he cannot technically die since they needed him to replace Marceellesures-whatshisname in FE3/12
), all for the sake of seeing Etzel's dialogue again in context. I have a theory about him and Ellerean, so that's the only reason I did that!

I love Fire Emblem! Playing this made me want to play Fire Emblem 7 for the trillionth time, so the never-ending Emblem cycle continues!! These games never get old.

Game #49: Fantasy Life
# I got this as a gift! I didn't pay much attention to it before it came out since it looked a bit boring, but WOW, what a great game! I have a feeling I'm going to pour hundreds more hours into it because I am a completionist, and this game was made for completionists. I like tailoring the best, I think!

Game #50: Pokemon Omega Ruby
# I meant to get Alpha Sapphire since I already played Ruby back when it came out, but there was a mix up with my order. It was nice to play through Ruby again! This remake is REALLY great!

Tybolt

Banned
Game 27: Bayonetta (Wii U version) - 10 Hours
I was apprehensive at first but holy shit, so good. Going to try to play a quick something else before starting on 2 to keep the palate clean. This will definitely be one to revisit for extras. I didn't realize how deep this game can go.

Game 28: Monster World IV - 8 Hours
I'd been working on this for awhile and ended up restarting at one point after taking way too long at about the quarter-way point. Both the music and art style were adorable, it's a shame it never got an official release during the age of the Genesis.

Game 29: Bayonetta 2 - 12 Hours
Fabulous game, but the story felt kind of like Spider-Man 3 in terms of how all over the place it was. Did a few hours of Tag Climax and it was definitely interesting, plus a great way to grind for unlocks without it feeling like a grind.

Game 30: Super Mario 3D World - 10 Hours
I had this partially beaten much earlier in the year. Finally made my way to the end of the special worlds and then finished the Champion's Road and also collected all the stars. Feels really good!

Game 31: Demon's Crest - 4 Hours
I had high expectations but I left feeling that this was more like Baby's First Metroid. Although the bosses are very substantial the exploration, gameplay and combat left a lot to be desired. I'm not sure why this game is so highly regarded.

Game 32: Shovel Knight - 5 Hours
I had a really good time with this one and I'm pretty interested to see what gets added to the game in the coming updates. The ending was really nice, too.

Game 33: Metroid 2 - 3 Hours, 5 Minutes
...Whoops, just barely missed out on the bikini ending. It's a shame they never made an expanded remake of this, because I think a lot of the design structure of the game was absolutely fantastic, and that this game needs much more love than it gets.

Game 34: Sin and Punishiment - 2 Hours
Had to restart from the beginning more than once, but it was so good that I was just fine with that. This is another one I regret not playing sooner.

Game 35: MGS: Ground Zeroes - Well, it's complicated...
SO GOOD. I "beat" the game by doing the main mission, but I'm going to be replaying this one for awhile as I work to the 100%.

Game 36: Astebreed - 3 Hours
The final boss was a bit janky when the game went full danmaku, but it was a fabulous shmup otherwise. Wished I played it sooner!

Game 37: Duck Hunt - 2 Hours
Well hey, I put a whole afternoon into it and got pretty good scores on all three modes. I think I'll let this count.

Game 38: Raiden's Big Adventure: Revengeance - 10 Hours
I'm still not sure why this game exists, but I approve.

Game 39: Crimsonland - 4 Hours
Here's one from earlier this year I forgot about. I played this one years ago, but the devs were cool enough to give me a key for the enhanced Steam version as I actually still had proof of purchase from buying the original. The only top-down shooter that Smash TV would bow down to.

Game 40: Long Live The Queen - 2 Hours
Another earlier in the year game. I expected Princess Maker 2 and didn't get it.

Game 41: Gauntlet - 4 Hours
One from this summer. I played through the vast majority of the game with a group of friends at launch. We were pretty close to finishing it, but we also pretty much experienced all the game had to offer. Hopefully we'll really clear house next time we get together, but I'll call it a clear for the sake of this list.

Game 42: Desktop Dungeons - 11 Hours
One from earlier this year that I repressed the memory of. Fuck this game. I made enough progress into this pile of trash to understand that I wanted nothing else to do with it. The least I can do is have it count as one for the list, too.

Game 43: Doom 64 EX: - 5 Hours
I think this is one of the first games I finished this year that I found while scavenging for anything else to fluff out the list. I never had a chance to play through the original, but this may as well be called both a perfect and improved port of the original. Gotta give credit to the incredible accuracy and skill of the Doom community, as always.

Game 44: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: The Black Pits - 8 Hours
I guess it can be considered a game even if it's more of a tactics-based minigame of sorts, but it's still a lengthy enough experience... Especially when enduring all the egregious bugs it offered. This is another late addition from early this year. I played a version available on Steam prior to one of the major updates, but given Overhaul's track record... I'm assuming they only made it worse since then.

Game 45: Dragon Age: Origins - 60 Hours
I finished this years ago but I wanted another go at the story so I'd be able to properly set up everything on the Keep for when I eventually get Inquisition since I didn't remember a thing about it. The game was more than a bit of a drag but I'm a bit more interested in playing through 2 again -- at least after I push through Awakening and Witch Hunt -- as I much prefer its inventory and party dynamics. Might save it for the new year, though.

Game 46: Dragon Age: Awakening - 20 Hours
Well, I liked it more than the core game. I talked a bit about my preferences for scale in the recent thread about DA2 not being that bad regardless of its Shit Mountain status. The last two expansions should be a breeze from here.

Game 47: Batman: Arkham Origins - 12 Hours
I guess this was my Christmas game to plow through. I'm not sure why I keep playing these Batman games, though. I mean, they have good stories, voice acting is superb, and the combat system is pretty good even I still have PTSD from my time getting the platinum on Arkham Asylum, but the boss battles are just terrible. So terrible.

Game 48: Dragon Age: Golems of Amgarrak - 2 Hours
Well, I'd like to get the 52 in so I'm going to count the DA expansions. It's always nice to have a challenge in a game, even if the challenge is mostly due to you having a horribly unfit party. This was also supposed to be Bioware testing out some new engine capabilities but given that the main showcase was colored lighting... Well, 1996 called, and you guys are a bit late.

Game 49: Dragon Age: Witch Hunt - 2 Hours
And an appropriate finish for the main game. I'm okay with this. Almost had a bit of a crisis until I remembered I had to re-enable autosaving in order to create the import-ready save for DA2, though. You'd think that the game would override the choice to ensure the player would have a completed save at the very end, but whatever.

Game 50: Arkham Origins: Cold, Cold Heart - 4 Hours
I made sure to 100% it because it feels like I'm taking easy way out, filling this here list with expansions. An appropriate play as this is set right before the new year. As always, Mr. Freeze invokes many feels.

Game 51: Typing of the Dead: Overkill - 3 Hours
I started this one earlier in the year, and it was nice to get through it at last. I really hope the original game gets put up on Steam sometime, too. I would have loved to see G and Washington with keyboard-based weapons, also. This one complaint is the only reason I can't declare this the best typing game ever.

Game 52: Crazy Taxi - 2 Hours
Well, not quite the Crazy Taxi I remember, but instead the not-quite-right Steam version of it. I feel like I could have said I'd beaten it sooner if I whipped out the Dreamcast. Went to work for a Class S license and got some of my skill back while playing around in the Crazy Box. It wasn't really as fun as I remembered so I stopped. I don't know if I wasn't feeling the gameplay or if the Offspring and Bad Religion music really made that much of a difference.

In any case, 52!

molnizzle

My progress this year was totally borked by Destiny. No way I'm making it now. Still gonna try and keep track though, just because I need more quantifiable statistics in my life.

18.) Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 8 hours (PS4)
Played through Act V and called it a day. Destiny was close.

19.) Destiny - 390 hours (PS4)
This fucking game. Finally kicked the habit I think.

20.) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 12 hours (XBO)
Playing through the MCC campaigns in order. I dicked around on Legendary for a while before starting over on normal. Heh.

Original post here.

Game 35: Ys: Memories of Celceta - November 1st, 2014 - 20 hours
7QKjiuI.png

I bought this game earlier in the year, sometime in February. I tried it out, got my butt kicked, got frustrated, put it down and forgot about it. Then, in October I decided that I really needed to try to get through the game. I'm very glad I did.

The story isn't much to write home about. However, having never touched a Ys game before, I found it serviceable and decent enough to keep me interested. Perhaps if I had played other games, I would have found the plot more troublesome. I really have no idea about that though. There were some twists and turns, and while the writing wasn't something special, everything was just enough to keep me invested. On top of that, the cast of characters is actually fairly likable. I think the only character who actually annoyed me was Ozma. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the entire crew. It's a shame that the best character
best girl
doesn't join the team until the last chunk of the game
I mean Frieda

The main draw here though was the combat. From my experience, the combat system wasn't necessarily what I would call deep. There was a standard attack, a bunch of skills for each character and an EXTRA attack. However, even though I wouldn't call the system deep, it is hard. I think one of the things I enjoyed the most about the game is that it made me feel incompetent. I almost never felt cheated by the game. Rather, most of the time, when something terrible happened in combat, I felt that it was my own inadequacy shining through. And in the crowded turn-based JRPG field, a JRPG that is an ARPG is brilliant. I love that the game actually challenged me and made me work on my timing. Not only timing, but mental plasticity as I was constantly required to switch my character to adapt to new situations.

Besides the combat, I was actually hugely drawn in by the map exploration. I'm a sucker for exploring maps, and I was drawn in immensely by seeing my map percent tick up and up. I'm pleased I played the game because it's actually one of the best the Vita has to offer. I'm even more pleased because the game opened the world of Ys to me.
Game 36: The Last of Us Remastered - November 18th, 2014 - 16 hours
dUagBpT.png

This is going to be a long reaction because I want somewhere to post my thoughts. The first thing of note is that this was my first playthrough of the game. However, when the game came out, I bought into the stupid idea that you could just "watch the game on YouTube." I'm so ashamed that I fell for that line of BS. But at the same time, I'm glad that I had seen the game on YouTube already, because it gives me a different perspective on the game than if I had played it completely blind.

The first thing that I can say is that after that experience, I feel emotionally drained. I've never felt that worn out after a game. And I mean that as a compliment. I want to go back and replay the game on the hardest difficulty, but I think it'll be a year or two before I'm ready for that.

On this note of emotional draining, I feel like I need to bring in my "YouTube" experience. Watching the game on YouTube does not provide the feeling that playing the TLOU does. What makes the cutscenes so compelling is the gameplay that leads up to them. I've heard people claim that the gameplay of TLOU isn't that great. I disagree completely. It may not be particularly new or inventive, but what it does, it does to the benefit of the game. The scarce resources, the melee combat, all of it adds to to tension of the game. Spoiler ahead:
The most important example of the gameplay adding to the experience is the winter section when you escape from David. The whole section of walking through the snow and trying to kill the enemies is hugely tense. Fighting off David is so very draining. Seeing Ellie hack him to death is just painful. And that leads you to the famed giraffe scene. That scene would be nothing without the previously tense and harsh aspects of the gameplay.

Watching the game did not provide the true feeling of dread that I felt when I came across the Infected. I don't think any game that I have played has ever done such a good job of creating a sense of fear or dread. In many games, they try to make you feel like a zombie-killer. This game does not do that. I think a huge part of the tension that you feel when encountering the Infected is that they aren't found everywhere. Indeed, this is a game set in the context of a zombie apocalypse, but you fight humans just as much, if not much more than the Infected.

Getting away from the strict gameplay aspect, the game, through its narrative did a brilliant job of making me feel a legitimate sense of protectiveness towards Ellie. On top of that, by the end, I just felt legitimately in tune with and invested in Joel's character. I don't think its the cutscenes that do this though. They help, but they are not the main effector of these feeling. I think the AI is what drives this home. The random times Ellie will stop to tie her shoe. When she sits down while you rummage around. The times when she clambers around looking for stuff. When she "learns" to whistle. When she makes little "pew-pew" sounds. All of this drives home the idea that this is a living character with a personality. The optional conversations? That stuff is god-tier game design quite honestly. In the end, it's the characters that drive this game. The story isn't anything special necessarily
(although the end kind of upends that)
, rather it's the characters who make the story something truly unique.

The last thing I want to rant about is the end. I've never been so bothered by an ending. Not that I didn't like it (I loved it), but bothered in the sense that I've been pondering the morality of what happened for hours. Major spoilers ahead:
In the end, I feel that Joel's decision is the one that any of us would have made. Ellie has basically become his daughter, and right or wrong, I really don't think a parent would allow their child to die. Especially when humanity throughout the course of the game has shown itself arguably unworthy of salvation. Arguably, the only "good" people in the game we see are at Tommy's place. And who knows if they're really that good. Besides that, I found myself troubled by the ethics of the Fireflies. They never asked Ellie if she wanted to go through with dying. You can say, "That's what she would have wanted!" but how can you really know without asking her? Beyond that, I'm suspicious of the Fireflies abilities to actually develop a vaccine. And even if they develop it, what guarantee do they have of being able to mass produce it? And even if they can develop and produce it, what about mass distribution? The Fireflies kind of seem like terrorists. Maybe they would just hold the vaccine hostage from people they don't like. On top of that, what if Ellie's immunity is genetic? Maybe it's better to find more like her and try to breed immunity into the population.

But besides my justification for Joel's action, I don't think he was thinking about that when he went to get Ellie. He made a selfish choice. And that is freaking brilliant. There was no cliche "save the world" ending. No Messiah ending. That was a such a breath of fresh air.
I was scared that playing the game wouldn't live up to the hype. That's why I put off playing it for so long. I'm glad I finally played it. This game is one of a kind.

Game 37: Papers, Please - November 19th, 2014 - Around 8 hours
MUf7Zm7.png

This was a weird experience. I found the "message" or "idea" behind the game about the emotional toll of working this job to be interesting. But oddly enough, my favorite part of the game? Doing the work. I was mesmerized by how intriguing I found the actual core gameplay loop. I guess that makes me a massive weirdo, but alas, maybe I was born for government labor. I can see why it was heavily praised, and I'm glad to have finished it.

Game 38: Shadow of Mordor - November 23rd, 2014 - Right around 20 hours
4pX6299.png

From what I know of the games, if you have played any of the Batman or ACreed games, SoM might feel a bit stale or used. But having never touched those games (an hour of ACreed1 actually), the whole game felt fresh. The nemesis system was brilliant, and really did a good job of motivating me. I would become angered when my branded captains died, and I would ruthlessly hunt down my nemesis. Beyond that, the game does suffer a bit from not really having much of a "LoTR spirit." It's about chopping orcs to bits. That's not really Tolkein-esque. No that that is bad, but it's just not truly a LoTR title, especially with all the lore contradictions. That being said, something about the in-game lore really resonated with me. Usually I hate doing sidequests and finding collectibles. However, since SoM actually sticks them on the map for you (lame perhaps), I went all over the map looking for them and listening to the audio logs.

Overall though, I really enjoyed this one. I hope they consider doing more LoTR titles!

PART ONE
PART TWO
PART THREE

Toki767

Game 51: Halo: Combat Evolved - 7 hours
I don't know how to feel about this game. I was kind of very unimpressed as this was the first time playing a Halo campaign. I liked the actual gameplay, but the missions were pretty dull and boring. It also didn't help that after hearing so much about how Halo is supposed to have this incredibly deep story and lore, I couldn't hear half the things people were saying because whoever made the Anniversary edition in their infinite wisdom made it so that music was like 10x louder than the sound of people's voices. Overall I'd say it was solid, but unfulfilling and overall has not aged very well.

1 game to go! Started Dragon Age so in the event I make it through 100+ hours of the game by December 31st, I'll be done lol

donny2112

Game 51: Halo: Combat Evolved - 7 hours
I don't know how to feel about this game. I was kind of very unimpressed as this was the first time playing a Halo campaign. I liked the actual gameplay, but the missions were pretty dull and boring. It also didn't help that after hearing so much about how Halo is supposed to have this incredibly deep story and lore, I couldn't hear half the things people were saying because whoever made the Anniversary edition in their infinite wisdom made it so that music was like 10x louder than the sound of people's voices. Overall I'd say it was solid, but unfulfilling and overall has not aged very well.

The missions were pretty straightforward, yeah. The music and the shift to movie letterboxing with title when getting to a new part of the story really kept me going and interested in it, though.
... the horse you rode in on.
Halo 2 was really good, too, even though some people didn't like
playing as a Covenant member part of the time
. I liked that, though, as it broke up some of the repetition and added some more
stealth
gameplay to the mix. Also, driving a tank and shooting down Covenant cruisers from way out is such "Whoa" moments. :)

Toki767

The missions were pretty straightforward, yeah. The music and the shift to movie letterboxing with title when getting to a new part of the story really kept me going and interested in it, though.
... the horse you rode in on.
Halo 2 was really good, too, even though some people didn't like
playing as a Covenant member part of the time
. I liked that, though, as it broke up some of the repetition and added some more
stealth
gameplay to the mix. Also, driving a tank and shooting down Covenant cruisers from way out is such "Whoa" moments. :)

I didn't mind the straightforward missions since you know, you're a soldier and you need to get stuff done. I just felt like something was missing in how the game motivated you. I felt no motivation to continue the game past Chapter 8. At that point it just kind of dragged. And screw whoever's bright idea it was to make the last mission
just driving a warthog
. Especially with those controls.

donny2112

I didn't mind the straightforward missions since you know, you're a soldier and you need to get stuff done. I just felt like something was missing in how the game motivated you. I felt no motivation to continue the game past Chapter 8. At that point it just kind of dragged. And screw whoever's bright idea it was to make the last mission
just driving a warthog
. Especially with those controls.

Warthog takes a bit to get used to, since it drives where ever your camera is facing. And the floaty jumps did make
that last level
a little more cumbersome than it needed to be. Felt good to make those jumps, though. :)

oggob

About 3 months since I last updated this... in that time, only 4 completes to show for it...

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #25 : Game #40 : Ratchet & Clank 3 : Up Your Arsenal (Vita | ~20hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Going from R&C to R&C2, there was a big quality jump... moving from R&C2 to R&C3, there is so many little things that have been tinkered with to make the experience so much better. Mainly the addition of a 2nd Quick Select Ring and the merging of the Dynamo and Swingshot to make the Hypershot. Story and everything is still amazing. Though the end battle was partly as I remembered.

Completion #26 : Game #03 : Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Vita | ~37hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Finally got around to grabbing the final online trophy, took a bit of organisation, getting up at 4am in the morning and such, but finally.

Really enjoyed this game far more than I expected, there is some really cheap stuff in there, but at the core is a damn solid kart racer.

Completion #27 : Game #47 : Danganronpa 2 : Goodbye Despair (Vita | ~66hrs | Trophies - 100%)
All games were dropped until this was 100%, I would agree that the minigames in this game were worse than the original, the story was on par, but did have some higher points (all of Chapter 5 and end game) but felt the cast of characters were better than the original.

Not going to go into detail, but it really is a must have game and could be GOTY material.

Completion #28 : Game #46 : Velocity 2X (Vita | ~25hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Inclusive of all DLC, playing this was only 2nd to Danganronpa, mainly due to not wanting to be spoiled on story.

This also can easily contend with GOTY titles, with fast gameplay, twitch controls and levels that are generally well put together to make a cohesive experience. Many retries were had, but even the longer epic levels were a blast to play despite being challenging to be "on your perfect game" for over 5 mins, etc.

Music was sublime, as it kinda melts into the background of your mind as you muscle memory all of the levels with ease at times. In the end the on foot sections were a nice change of pace and the controls switch up added some additional complexity, also by the end I didn't mind the long form teleport which did slow the game down abit, but nothing major...

Will take sequel after sequel of this with no hesitation.

I wonder what the laser looks like?

Game #47: Crash Bandicoot 2 (PSN) - like 6 hours (Finished)
Got a couple of gems but really just focused on crystals. This feels more like a sequel than the third game does in terms of presentation. It takes more from the first game and changes it rather than adding new stuff, which it does more toward the end. Mechanically, Crash's mobility increased with a slide and high jump, along with a body slam which honestly just fills up time. The momentum during jumping is more or less removed, which is weird but preferable. And the board/rocket must've lit some sort of fuse at ND if the third game is any indication. Oh, and saving got miles better in that you can actually do it when you want.

Weiss

Banned
Game 56: Gargoyle's Quest 2 - 5 hours

Given how much I love Demon's Crest on the SNES, I probably went into this with some unrealistic expectations of its quality, but it's still an awesome game. The world map isn't exactly fun to trek through, but it adds a sense of exploration and grandeur where other platformers just dragged you from level to level, and gradually powering Firebrand up over the course of the game is an awesome, Zelda~esque touch.

I've been keeping track of the games I've finished this year in the monthly threads. As I finished my 52nd game of the year just now, I'll put it here. I was tracking the date I finished the games on, the hours are estimates.

My aim for last year was to finish 25 or 30 games, I wasn't confident I'd reach that, and I finished around 32/33. So 52 (and finished in November) is quite a lot for me. 56 games finished overall.

1. The Last of Us: Jan 15: 20h
Played it on Normal for the first half, decided I'd have more fun putting it down to Easy. I normally play these types of third person shooters on easy.

2. Broken Age (Act 1): Jan 16: 4h
Does this count as a game finished? Some people are, so I will too. :)

3. Super Paper Mario: Jan 16: 20h
4. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast: Jan 17: 40m
5. Tearaway: Jan 24: 8h
6. To the Moon: Jan 28: 4h
7. Super Mario Galaxy: Feb 9: 15h
8. Jazzpunk: Feb 13: 3h
9. Knack's Quest: Feb 16: 5h

10. Knack: Feb 20: 13h
I liked it, maybe 7/10 to 8/10 on first playthrough. Don't mistake it for anything other than a brawler requiring mastery of timing (I don't like remembering combos, and this doesn't ask for that).

11. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus: Mar 1: 5h
One of my favourite series, but a disappointing addition.

12. Infamous: Second Son: Mar 23: 12h

13. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes: Mar 26: 1h30m
Really solid gamelay (pun not intended). It would be twice as good if objectives didn't move around so much.

14. Doki-Doki Universe: Apr 3: 10h
15. Dark Souls 2: Apr 6: 90h

16. Atelier Escha & Logy: Apr 13: 40h
Nice battle system! I had played the other PS3 Atelier games starting with Rorona but has previously only finished Totori. Playing Escha & Logy started me on the process of finishing the others (Rorona in the form of Rorona Plus). Four RPGs in one series from beginning to end (starting new saves) between March and June.

17. Octodad: Dadliest Catch: May 1: 3h
18. The Shivah: May 4: 2h
19. Atelier Ayesha: May 11: 25h
20. Shadow of the Colossus: Jun 4: 12h
21. Infamous 2: Jun 8: 15h
22. Murdered: Soul Suspect: Jun 8: 8h
23. Atelier Meruru: Jun 14: 30h
24. Atelier Rorona Plus: Jun 28: 20h
25. Transistor: Jul 1: 7h
26. Resogun: Jul 1: 2h
27. Contrast: Jul 2: 4h
28. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Jul 17: 15h
29. Antichamber: Jul 24: 10h

30. Demon's Souls: Aug 1: 40h
The third Souls game I've finished. It took so long from first getting it, more because some levels were intimidating so I didn't really try to go into them than having trouble with bosses or anything.

31. Ridiculous Fishing: Aug 6: 5h
32. Depression Quest: Aug 15: 40m
33. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Aug 15: 20h

34. P.T.: Aug 18: 12h
I spent like 10+ hours on it, I'm counting this playable teaser as a game!

35. Stanley Parable: Aug 19: 1h
36. Lightning Returns: Sep 1: 40h

37. Hitman Go: Sep 15: 5h
There was an update pack not yet released at that time, I didn't count it as needed then but I might finish that too.

38. Murasaki Baby: Sep 22: 4h
Touch controls were not up to the standard to keep this fun.

39. Desert Golfing: Oct 2: 5h
I set a goal to consider it finished when my stroke-per-hole average was below 3, after 3000 holes.

40. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments: Oct 8: 13h
Really good, the third case being a little disappointing for having a
maze
for some reason.

41. Dragon Quest 1: Oct 11: 10h
My first Dragon Quest game finished, Android release. It adapted the best to be a mobile game as each battle is one player character vs one enemy, which minimises the inputs. No needing to select which enemy to hit etc. This started me on a similar path as Atelier Escha and Logy (in that case finishing four games in the series in a few months), though I only (so far) went on to finish three Dragon Quest games.

42. Wolfenstein: The New Order: Oct 14: 20h
I rarely play first person shooters, but really liked this one.

43. Bayonetta 1 (Wii U): Nov 1: 12h
If it was released for the first time this year, it might be a top 10 GOTY for me. Better than the sequel.

44. Dragon Quest 2: Nov 1: 25h
Doesn't have all the simplicity of the first game and so it loses a little of its charm, but it gains a lot in scope.

45. Peggle 2: Nov 1: 3h

46. Bayonetta 1 (PS3): Nov 8: 12h
I got up to Chapter 12 around release then abandoned it, and recently decided to finish it out of interest for how it compared to the Wii U release.

47. New Super Mario Bros U: Nov 9: 13h
The first time I've finished a 2D Mario game, having not grown up with them.

48. A Bird Story: Nov 9: 90 mins

49. Bayonetta 2: Nov 10: 10h
Disappointing. So many verses are hidden away, and I didn't care to backtrack or look for them as that goes against what I was playing it for (well-paced action sequences, I guess).

50. Dragon Quest 4: Nov 15: 35h
The Android release. Interesting storytelling, with the chapter format. Really, really good. I doubt it's eligible for a GOTY Top 10 spot as it is too similar to the DS release (which I haven't played). But it would be top 10, maybe number 4 for me. Has some control issues though.

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Nov 23: 18h
I finished the first set of dungeons a while ago, then finished the second set after getting a New 3DS XL and choosing this to test it out with. Amazing game...I still haven't finished ALttP yet.

52. Tengami: Nov 24: 3h
It ended sooner than I thought, as I thought there was more room on the tree. I kinda looked for some help on the last major 'puzzle', too. That part was not fun, but I did quite well before looking for some help.

53. Shadow of Mordor: Dec 12: 17h
I would have finished it much earlier if a couple of story missions in the middle didn't put me off from continuing.

54. Dragon Quest III: Dec 19: 27h
55. Monument Valley: Dec 20: 1.5h
56. Dragon Quest IX: Dec 29: 33h

The estimated time it took to finish the first 52 games is around 620 hours.

An-Det

Eerily similar to Aarglefarg, I've been posting in the monthly threads and doing the 52 but never wanted to commit to it just in case. so I haven't posted before this. I didn't keep track of hours, I might start doing that going forward. Since I'd been following the monthly threads, the months are when I finished the game/felt I was done with it. Apologies for the big post.

January:

1. The Swapper
Awesome atmosphere and puzzles. Really enjoyed it.

2. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Not bad, solid little adventure.

3. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
I played the shit out of the game over the course of two-ish months, vanilla except for the hud mod. Loved it.

4. Bulletstorm
Way better than I expected (I figured it'd be "dicktits the game", but that was way overblown and the combat was great). I played it on pc and it was georgious.

5. Super Meat Boy (xbox 360)
For some reason I owned it on this after beat the pc version years ago, so I dug into this and fell in love all over again.

February:

6. Splinter Cell: Conviction
An improvement over Double Agent but it kinda sidestepped the issues DA had rather than wholly correct and improve upon it. It was fun.

7. Ratchet & Clank 1 HD
I played the original version years ago, so I knew I'd enjoy it. Fun to play the revamp, although the final boss was way worse than I remembered.

8. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando HD
Also played the original a long time ago. Lots of small improvements make the game much more playable over the original. So good.

9. Antichamber
Solid puzzles and beautiful art design.

10. Trials Evolution
Even if I'm awful at them, I love the Trials games and this was totally more Trials.

11. Borderlands 2
A lot of the game was fun to me, but so much of it was way more grindy than I prefer from my shooters (playing full coop, some of the later fights in the campaign took us a good half hour of grinding down enemies since they had such a ridiculously-high health bar. That's not fun). Decent otherwise, and the art didn't give me a headache like the first game.

March:

12. Dark Souls pc
My notes say I finished through O+S in February and finished the game in March. What a fucking game, loved it.

13. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal HD
New territory from here, and it was worth it. Even more improvements and little changes that make it so much better over the first two.

14. Tomb Raider (2013)
Aside from the initial section which is fairly qte-heavy, it hit all the right notes for me. I couldn't stop playing it.

15. Limbo
It was ok. Nice art style and decent puzzles, but nothing special.

16. Diablo 3
I played a ton over the two months after version 2.0 released, through Reaper of Souls and for a while afterwards. I felt that I had had my fill by then. Great game in it's updated form.

April:

17. Fez
Pretty in it's own right and certainly a mindfuck with some of those puzzles. Darn good.

18. The Darkness
Starbreeze makes some damn fine fps experiences. Loved it.

May:
19. Dark Souls 2
A solid sequel, being there day one with everyone was a blast.

20. The Darkness 2
Starbreeze removed some of the open world-ness of the first game and very much improved the shooting. I think I prefer the gameplay of 2 and the atmosphere of 1, but it's an awesome game and sequel.

21. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
I enjoyed the first game, and this was ok, but holy shit is it short.

22. Doom 3: BFG Edition
Never got around to playing Doom 3, so this was a good time to dig into it. A lot of monster closets and the characters/textures still look like plastic (though that's my opinion of idtech in general), but it's pretty darn good for a newcomer.

23. Prince of Persia (2008) + ending dlc
Not a fan of the combat at all in the game, but loved the platforming and the story was neat. Didn't like the dlc since it focused so much on that combat that I didn't like,

June:
24. Devil May Cry 3 HD

I tried DMC 1 and didn't like it, didn't bother with 2, so went straight to 3. Solid game, though the pacing isn't great since it reuses so much.

25. Prototype 2
I enjoyed the first and this improved enough upon it to make it worthwhile. Really fun gameplay.

26. Injustice: Gods Among Us
Not a fan of fighters so I bought it as essentially a DC movie, intending to play the story mode. That was a lot of fun to do.

27. Devil May Cry 4
Really fucking good, personally I preferred it over 3. Still a lot of backtracking/level reuse, though.

28. The Stanley Parable
Really good, short but sweet.

July:
29. DMC: Devil May Cry

It was a blast to play through. I dont care much if the technicalities of the combat aren't as impressive, I'm not on that level, but it was a lot of fun.

30. Crackdown 2
Meh sequel (not bad, but not doing anything really interesting over the first game), but playing 4-player coop with online randoms was a blast.

31. Final Fantasy X HD
I started it at launch in April and slowly put time into it but in July I buckled down since I didn't like it just being there in the background. I kinda enjoyed it, but didn't want to dig into such a long game initially so it took some time for me to do that. My notes say "45 hours just from July 13-28"; I played a shitton in those two weeks and it was a blast.

Also in July I tried Dark Sector but didn't like it, and played half of Enslaved in a day but accidentally deleted my save the next day and couldn't muster the will to replay all that.

August:
32. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (360)

So good. I enjoyed the Riddick character already, so this was a treat. Also more Starbreeze is never a bad thing.

33. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link afterwards
Holy shit, I wish I had played this sooner. Amazing game

34. Call of Duty: Black Ops
I dont care about the multi, but the single player was a fun ride.

35. The Last of Us + Left Behind
I played through it all in two sittings over two days, and was totally engrossed in it the whole time. I got it Xmas 2013 but got an hour in and felt it was too draining (though good) to keep going, but this time I stuck with it and it was worth it.

September:
36. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2

A few gameplay improvements over the first GRAW (which I played years ago), this was a fun one.

37. Too Human
Meh framerate, sluggish menus, and flawed if unique combat, but I loved the setting and conflict. Really wish we had seen a sequel.

38 Dante's Inferno
A shameless God of War clone, it doesn't try anything new but does it all well. Not bad.

39. Pokemon X
Finally finished it. Aside from that one 3d town being awful to navigate, it was a lot of fun.

Also in September I tried out and didn't enjoy/finish Project Sylpheed (not bad, but didn't grip me at all). Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (I'd tried the XMen games and hope this would change my mind on the style, it didn't), Heavenly Sword (decent but a lot of frustrating design choices), and El Shaddai: Story of the Metatron (pretty but I found it boring)

October: (This was the point where I settled on doing a complete run-through of the R&C, God of War, and Resistance series' to specifically clear a bunch of PS3 games)

40. Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor
Despite it looking pretty bad on my ancient pc it played great. Loved it.

41. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
A meaty HD sequel, fantastic game.

42. God of War 1 HD
Pretty solid, a few framerate hiccups when multiple cyclopes were on screen but otherwise fine. Reminded me why I so enjoyed the series to begin with, years ago.

43. God of War 2 HD
I played 1 and 2 on the PS2, and 2 was one of the few games that I stayed up overnight to finish, being so engrossed in it. I played it on a weekend, so I wasn't tired for work like I was in 2007, but I didn't want to put it down all the same. Lots of improvements over the first game and amazing pacing.

44. Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
A fun little side game, Short but still great.

45. Resistance: Fall of Man
I got big Half-Life vibes from this. Pacing was off at times but it was good. The series as a whole definitely nailed the mixture of horror elements that they need.

46. God of War: Chains of Olympus HD
Very similar to the first two games, first time seeing a new Kratos adventure since 3 released so that was a fun new thing.

Also tried Ninja Gaiden Sigma (wasn't enjoying it) and Jak & Daxter 1 HD (decent, but I can't do such a ridiculous collectathon these days)

November:

47. God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD

Sporting some of the improvements I remembered from GoW 3 (like the buttons prompts being on the edges of the screen), this was great.

48. Resistance 2
They cut the weapon wheel and added regenerating health. Probably a better overall game than the first, but no wheel sucked. Still a fun campaign.

49. God of War 3
So fucking good and incredibly epic. When I played it at launch I always intended to replay it once I had a full audio set up and big screen hdtv, and it was totally worth it. Beautiful.

50. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
By this point they've got the gameplay down, so they switched things up with space combat, which I was cold on at first but quickly warmed up on it. The bite-sized puzzle or combat worlds were fun. Not sure if I prefer it over ToD, but both are fantastic.

51. Resistance 3
Returned the weapon wheel, but not have straight up health packs which I really didn't like (the first two games regen'ed health in some manner, so I didn't like them cutting it and sticking it behind a post-game unlock). Once I got used to that the game was great, a solid cap to the trilogy, although too positive an ending in my opinion.

52. God of War: Ascension
So pretty. Didn't like locking some of the combat behind the rage meter (like having to already have it up to do T-T-T), but otherwise a solid follow-up. Seeing Kratos before vengeance consumed him was great, and the final scene was a fitting way to end my playthrough of the games.

53. Ratchet & Clank Future: Into the Nexus
Finishing off this series was this epilogue to the Future games. The story initially felt more disconnected than I expected (references to Quark being president at some point, Clank suddenly being back after leaving at the end of Crack in Time), but man this was a great way end the playthrough. Loved it, especially since it didn't overstay it's welcome.

Update:
Last update for the year to cover this last month. Since I had finished the 52 in November and knew that I would be on vacation for a good chunk of the month, I wanted to focus more on rpg's and longer games. It was also nice to sit back and enjoy games rather than blitz to finish the list during the holidays. Aside from the below, I've played a good 25 hours of Persona 4 Golden (it's fucking awesome) and 5-ish of Lost Odyssey (not as much as I'd like but really enjoying it so far, hoping to make up for it and finish it before Bloodborne releases). Definitely going to do the 2015 challenge, already have a number of games installed on Steam to start things off.

December

54. Grand Theft Auto 5 PS4

I'd been waiting for the next gen remaster to replay the game and I am glad that I did. Amazing game, so many varied scenarios and story beats. I was a bit down on it the first time through last year, but going through it again a year away from release hype I had a blast and it has definitely come into it's own for me as an awesome game.

55. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

For the last few years I'd buy a Pokemon game in November, play half of it, then get sidetracked and play the second half in the weeks leading up to the next game, then repeat the pattern, playing a whole game each year but only in halves. I made sure to avoid that this year and I'm glad that I did since the game is fantastic. Loads of content, a fun campaign, and a much better post-Elite 4 story than X/Y's stupid detective thing. Plus being able to Fly without carrying a Fly mule around was such a great change. Loved it.

Bonus: The Walking Dead: 400 Days

Not counting it as a separate game since it's dlc and just 1/6 of the game, but since Season 2 is going to be one of the first games that I play for 2015 I wanted to finally play this (also to make sure my main save still was there). Short and sweet, each vignette did a different thing and didn't overstay it's welcome, and telling the story at different points in time (and you choosing the order) was great for seeing the breakdown of the area and of people in general. I really liked it, for what it was trying to do it was solid.

A slight update as I realise I missed a couple of games from earlier in the year:

Previous post.

1. Muramasa Rebirth - 10th Jan - approx 10 hours

2. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PS3) - 17th Jan - approx 7-8 hours

3. Jacob Jones & the Bigfoot Mystery (Vita) - 24th Jan - approx 3 hours

4. LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - 8th Feb - approx 8 hours

5. The Last of Us: Left Behind - 21st Feb - 3 hours

6. Dead Island (PS3) - 4th March - 22 hours

7. Spec Ops: The Line (PS3) - 6th March - approx 5 hours

8. Retro City Rampage (Vita) - 7th March - approx 6 hours

9. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 13th March - approx 10-12 hours

10. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (Vita) - 17th March - approx 6-7 hours

11. Luftrausers (Vita) - 22nd March - approx. 5 hours

12. SteamWorld Dig (Vita) - 29th March - 6 hours

13. Metal Gear Rising - 4th April - approx 6 hours

14. Eufloria HD (Vita) - 6th April - approx. 6-8 hours

15. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD (Vita) - 20th April - approx 9 hours

16. Urban Trial Freestyle (Vita) - 12th May - approx. 8-10 hours

17. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3) - 25th June - 130 hours

18. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Vita) - 29th June - approx. 10 hours

19. Tearaway (Platinumed) - 23rd July - approx. 15 (?) hours

20. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - 29th July - approx. 35 hours

21. Rogue Legacy (Vita) - 13th August - approx. 20 hours

22. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) - 17th September - approx. 10 hours

23. Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3) - 24th September - approx. 8 hours

24. Tekken Revolution (PS3) - 24th September - approx. 4 hours

25. Murasaki Baby - 27th September - approx. 3 hours

26. Entwined (Vita) - 14th October - approx. 1 hour

27. Just Cause 2 (PS3) - 25th October - approx. 20 hours

28. Velocity 2X (Vita) - 28th October - approx. 5 hours

29. Mass Effect (PS3) - 6th November - approx. 27 hours

30. Journey (PS3) - 8th November - approx. 80 minutes

31. Mass Effect 2 (PS3) - 25th November - 34 hours
A great game overall with some solid improvements over the first, and some streamlining that IMO took away away a lot of that game's depth. I felt like ME1 was a decent RPG that was a bit clunky in some regards, while ME2 felt more like a third person shooter with lots of conversations and not really much of a plot. Nonetheless I did enjoy the experience and I adore the series' universe. It does feel very epic and I like the scale and overriding plot about the Reapers, but narratively this episode felt pretty inconsequential and it pretty much ends at the same place the first game does. 8/10

An-Det

Thanks guys. Already prepping the start of the last for next year, planning to update at the same time as they monthlies to avoid a giant post like that again. Now I'll take the rest of the year to play a longer rpg that'd ruin the timing otherwise. Not sure which, maybe Lost Odyssey.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Limping along towards the end of this journey~ Every time I think I understand how jumping works in Ice Climber the game always proves me wrong!

Games Beaten: 48 / 52
Total Playtime: 551 hours, 15 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Weiss

Banned
I was going to clear the entire Super Mario All-Stars pack, but I can't bring myself to make it through Lost Levels and SMB2, so here it is.

Game 57: Super Mario Bros. - 3 hours

It's Super Mario Bros with upgraded SNES graphics. Not much else needs to be said, other than I'm surprised that Nintendo has never really re-released this iteration of the game.

Game 58: Super Mario Bros. 3 - 6 hours

This is one of the best 2D platformers of all time and easily the best Mario game ever. The huge array of bite-sized levels, snazzy soundtrack, and huge load of power-ups are awesome. It's rare that I play a game that just feels so happy and fun.

Toki767

Game 52: Dragon Age Inquisition - 43 hours
This was a really great game. It was a massive world with lots to do (even if I didn't want to do everything) and it was great to see a lot of the returning characters. It really made me have more faith in Bioware after Mass Effect 3. I only really just wish the main story was longer as it was honestly fairly short in retrospect.

I'm done! Here's my full list. I still have another month to go so I will definitely still play other games, but this was a really fun challenge.

SteHitch

Neo Member
Finally managed to finish it off, started off at a great pace and then over the last 3-4 months I have been limited to how often I could play games.

I figured I would do a breakdown of the hours played/platforms played on etc.

PS3: 29
PS Vita: 8
PS4: 7
Wii U: 5
3DS: 3

Total time played: 985 hours 46 minutes
Average time completed: 19 hours
100% completion/Platinum: 18/52

Game of 2014

1st: Grand Theft Auto V - PS4
2nd: Strider - PS4
3rd: Infamous: Second Son - PS4

PS4 has taken all the top spots really, I loved all of the Nintendo games I played this year but they were mostly 2013 games.

My completed log is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=95481700&highlight=#post95481700

Kalor

I haven't updated this in a while. The past few months I managed to complete 52 games and some extra. Original Post

August
36. Knytt Stories 2/8/14
37. Super Mario Bros Deluxe 3/8/14
38. Expendabros 7/8/14
39. Mirrors Edge 19/8/14
40. Puzzle Agent 26/8/14
41. The Walking Dead: Season 2 27/8/14

September
42. Electronic Super Joy: Groove City 5/9/14
43. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Waker HD 19/9/14
44. Velocity 2X 25/9/14

October
45. Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair 5/10/14
46. Rogue Legacy 6/10/14
47. Joe Danger 7/10/14
48. 140 16/10/14
49. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call 19/10/14
50. Picross DS 26/10/14
51. Volgarr the Viking 31/10/14

November
52. Ridiculous Fishing 2/11/14
53. A Bird Story 7/11/14
54. Monument Valley 13/11/14
55. Hexcells Plus 29/11/14
56. Valient Hearts 29/11/14

Hit 60 games finished without noticing, think i'll finish 65 before the year is over at this pace ^^ [sorry for the long list below]

1. Lego Marvel Super Heroes [PS3]
2. Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate [Vita]
3. Minecraft [PS3]
4. Assassin's Creed Liberation HD [PS3]
5. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone [PS1]
6. Dragonball Z Battle Of Z [Vita]
7. New Super Mario Bros [NDS]
8. Ratchet And Clank Into The Nexus [PS3]
9. Final Fantasy Lightning Returns [PS3]
10. Sonic CD [PS3]
11. Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat [PS3]
12. Beatles Rock Band [PS3]
13. The Lego Movie Videogame [PS3]
14. MGS5: Ground Zeroes [PS3]
15. Steamworld Dig [Vita]
16. Fez [Vita]
17. Batllefield 4 [PS4]
18. Trials Fusion [PS4]
19. Knack [PS4]
20. Octodad [PS4]
21. Infamous Second Son [PS4]
22. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [PS4]
23. Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry [PS4]
24. Child Of Light [PS4]
25. Pac Man And the Ghostly Adventures [PS3]
26. The Legend Of Zelda A Link Between Worlds [3DS]
27. Outlast [PS4]
28. Call Of Duty: Ghosts [PS4]
29. Disney's Hercules [PS1]
30. New Super Mario Brothers 2 [NDS]
31. Entwined [PS4]
32. Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 [PS3]
33. Ducktales Remastered [PS3]
34. Watch Dogs [PS4]
35. Sly 1 [Vita]
36. Ratchet And Clank [Vita]
37. Skeleton Rider [Vita]
38. Dragonball Adventure [GBA]
39. Wolfenstein [PS4]
40. Murdered Soul Suspect [PS4]
41. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex [PS2]
42. Rogue Legacy [Vita]
43. Phantom Breaker [Vita]
44. Table Top Racing [Vita]
45. Metrico [Vita]
46. One Piece Unlimited World Red [Vita]
47. Invizimals The Alliance [Vita]
48. Jak And Daxter [Vita]
49. Infamous First Light [PS4]
50. Destiny [PS4]
51. Sniper Elite 3 [PS4]
52. The Wolf Among Us [PS3]
53. Joe Danger [Vita]
54. Valiant Hearts [PS4]
55. Beyond Two Souls [PS3]
56. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition [PS4]
57. The Legend Of Korra [PS4]
58. Middle Earth Shadow Of Mordor [PS4]
59. Assassin's Creed Unity [PS4]
60. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd [Vita]

Hubb

OP

52) Gungnir 25H
Well only took me 11 months, but here I am 52 games done. I usually don't do a longer review of my feeling on a game, but I'll make an exception this time.

Cons:
1) The ending. The game really starts to pick up and possibly get more interesting, and then it ends. I have no idea if they ran out of funding or were going to go for a sequel at one point. The actual ending story wise isn't bad, but way they handled the ending just seemed so rushed. It doesn't help that they had "padding" fights, where they could have easily removed those and used that stage to flesh out the story.

2) You'll use about 4 characters. There is a ton of variety, but you can only bring a handful on each map and even then you wont use every character you bring. Highly recommend range characters.

Neutral:
No grinding; for some this may be a pro and others a con. If you bring in an underleveled character it is very easy to bring them to your current level. It seems everything scales so you will get a ton of exp for something as simple as giving a team mate a potion. The negative is if you get a character with a very low level there is no free battle to try to get them up to speed outside of story missions.

I found out late in the game there is a way to "cheese it" so to speak and grind. By the time I figured out you could do it, it wasn't worth it to even try. I don't think you need to grind in the game.

Leveling system. Levels don't mean a whole lot outside of your max HP which goes up in very small amounts. Instead, using the same weapon will increase you specialty which is a separate exp bar that levels your attack power or weight and some other things. You also unlock different skills for those weapons.

Pros:
Good length. About
story battles and some of them can take a decent amount of time (1 hour or so).

Story. Even though I put the ending in a con, the rest of the story was more than enough to keep me interested outside of the fighting.

Gameplay. It is a SRPG and handles very well. My only real complaint in this department is the dodge/guard %. I have never missed/been countered on a 5-10% chance so much in any other game. Those % points cannot be correct, or else I am just extremely unlucky.

Anyway 52 games done, going to see how any more I can finish before the end of the year.

dot

Thanks to my frand i got motivated to play through my backlog so I started this challenge reeeeeally late, haha.

---
1. ICO
- This was my first time playing through this game! The ending was nice... Also Yorda is very lovely. I just liked holding her hand. :>

2. The Last of Us: Left Behind
- Eh, it was okay. Didn't really care about the story or characters...

3. Infamous: Festival of Blood
- Cool piece of dlc, i like the vampire
dank
powers! Got all the trophies for this one too.

4. Thi4f
- This was probably the worst game i've played since Brink. The story is just really really bad lol. And why is everyone so fugly in this game? Ending sucked too. (also my first Thief game btw)

5. Tales of Symphonia
- I like the game but it's really overrated... Genis can go twerk off a cliff, that brat. I like Sheena and Presea though. &#9829;

6. Infamous: Second Son
- Very purty game, too bad it's so short. Also the sidequests got old, fast. :/ The first game is still my favorite.

7. FEZ
- Very trippy and cute. I wish the map was easier to understand though, it confused me a lot!

8. Final Fantasy X HD
- The second FF game i've ever beaten! Even though i had the ending spoiled for me beforehand it was still sad. :( rikku4lyfe

9. Tomb Raider
- Story and characters were kinda bad... Combat is really good though. I love using the bow and arrowing fools. Can someone make an Arrow mod pls?

10. You Have To Win The Game
- Beat this for the playfire rewards, fun short game.

11. Reversion: The Escape
- This is kinda bad...lol. But it only took like an hour to beat and get all the playfire achievements! Free money woooo!

12. Rush Bros.
- It's okay. Did all the playfire achievements cuz i'm crazy.

13. Wolfenstein: The New Order
- I thought this was a bit overrated... All i got from this game was that Anya really wanted the D.

14. Speedrunners
- First steam game i've 100% in achievements! Very fun game that is frustrating and hilarious at the same time.

15. Juniper's Knot
- Sweet short story. I finished it in less than an hour.

16. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
- Beat it on my 3rd try! I like the new changes from the original. 60 fps! Bigger rooms! New different colored poop! I don't mind the new soundtrack either. Game is also considerably easier than the original game...

17. Marvel Heroes
- I heard online/multiplayer games count for this list too? Might as well add this one then...currently trying to get my Ghost Rider/Jean Grey to level 50. I just want X-23 and Venom released already! :D

18. Love
- Took me 18 minutes and 195 deaths to beat the speedrun mode! Might replay the normal mode again for achievements in the future.

19. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
- Beat it again lol, but on the ps4. Playing on a DS4 felt so much better! This game is literally crack.

20. A.R.E.S.: Extinction Egenda
- It's really short (only 5 stages)! It's kind of like Megaman-lite but more jankier.

21. Depression Quest
- Wanted to play something different and was feeling bored...

22. Escape Goat
- This game annoyed me with its baka puzzles. I'm too dumb for these kind of games.

23. Resogun
- Beat this on rookie since i'm not too good at this genre. All those particles though.. *_*

24. MURI
- Took me 76 minutes to beat. The game could've used some achievements. Also the story is just weird.

25. The Legend of Korra
- Basically Bayonetta-lite. The story is super rushed and silly and the game is a bit short but still very fun! It was a little boring in the beginning but once you unlock all your bending the game really opens up.

26. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Good campaign...it felt kinda long compared to the other ones. There seems to be a bug where it doesn't save my campaign progress though. According to the mission select i'm still halfway through the game...but i beat it and never got the trophy. :|

27. EvilQuest
- Really reminds me of the DBZ Legacy of Goku series on the gameboy advance, except you play as some evil guy. This took me longer to beat than Korra lol.

28. Flower Shop: Summer In Fairbrook
- I got the forever alone ending. ;-; I guess going to the Library all the time didn't help at all...

29. Gunman Clive
- Very reminiscent of Megaman. The art style is kinda cool... also a really short game. I beat all 20 levels in an hour.

30. DLC Quest
- This was silly and cute. Got all the achievements besides the speedrunning ones. Ain't nobody got time for that!

31. Freedom Fall
- I like the art style! This game was super short too like the others.

32. Snuggle Truck
- I have no idea why i played this.

33. Infamous: First Light
- Playing as Fetch was nice. I felt like the Flash with her super speed! I got the platinum trophy since it was pretty easy to do.

34. Everlasting Summer
- I got Semyon's bad ending on my first try. Went back and picked the second option and got Semyon's good ending. Forever alone. Why do i always get that in these visual novels?! ~_~

35. The Expendabros
- Needed a different change of pace after all that reading. Pretty mindless and silly. And short.

36. VVVVVV
- This game annoyed me so much! Good soundtrack though. Thanks for the recommendation yakkue!

37. Ittle Dew
- Lots of puzzles! I liked the graphics and humor. It was cute. :3

38. Steamworld Dig
- Felt like a singleplayer Terraria but with a story. I can see how it'd be boring to some people but i liked it.

39. Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons
- This really has an ICO feel to it. Just the way the game is presented is really cool. I liked most of the game up until that
spider
twist. I also saw the ending coming a mile away. I played this for the feels and i didn't really get emotional or anything... :/

40. Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
- I beat it in normal mode. I enjoyed it! There were some camera problems and the story is a bit odd and nonsensical... It's basically Devil May Cry's Bloody Place mode so all you do is fight enemies in an circular arena.

41. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- I don't even like this game that much, i only play it for the drops and free money. :D

42. Guild Wars 2
- This one probably had the most playtime out of every game on this list... I don't even know why i play this anymore. I don't enjoy it as much and all the friends i made in it left so i'm very lonely. I kinda want to play it with my friend that apparently still plays it but that baka is never logged on. :<

---
wooooooooooooooo

I got about 10 more games to beat in a month... Can i do it? ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom