• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Gaffi

I think we can forget the 60fps. It basically comes down to this ; make it prettier or make it 60fps. The choice for developers is easy.

While most developers would choose prettier graphics, it seems as though ND has been really developed an appreciation for 60 fps in the last year with TLoU Remastered. It really comes down to whether or not they think they can get the current level of detail up to 60fps with some optimization. If they can only get it to around 45fps or something then I can see them working on more detail and locking it at 30. I just don't see them giving up 60 fps with all their comments, unless it's simply already unobtainable.

i don't know. someone should ask him on twitter
There's a moment at 12:34 of the Playstation youtube video that shows a delay from foliage entry to crouch but that could just be because of animation blending. It does seem like Drake has his typical context sensitive slight crouch when enemies lose sight of him. Kind of a bummer but it looks like fun so what the hell.

Also after rewatching, I noticed so many alternate paths he could have taken, especially in the cave. I can not wait to explore and treasure hunt.

Heres a great breakdown of some things you guys probably didn't catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQ_VJX0BNo&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA&spfreload=10

This guy knows his stuff.

In his GTA V video he made a couple big mistakes... not sure if I would say he knows his stuff.

For example, at the beginning of that video he mentions adaptive tesselation even though there is no evidence of it beyond the fact that you can see triangle edges (which does not mean tesselation necessarily at all). Conjecture...

ALso he mentions POM, even though it looks like god damn normal mapping. God that annoys me.

Gamer345

Banned
Where was this confirmed?

Well Naughty Dog confirmed they are aiming for 60fps and have not said other wise

Bruce Strat on twitter said "So that's just the tip of the iceberg people! Our meat-n-potatoes, core moment-to-moment experience for #Uncharted4."

It is pretty understandable pre alpha stage footage will be 30fps, even more impressive with that it was stable with that high level of detail, considering most optimization is done towards the end of development.

Since the ICE TEAM are with ND, I can see 60fps similar to TLOU Remastered, where the dips will barely be noticeable

Superflat

Scott Rohde just said in the live interview (Story Time) that he saw a build of Uncharted 4 a week ago and that it didn't look like the demo shown at PSX, implying it was way rougher.

That gives me confidence that the final, fully polished product is going to beat this clip handily.

Heres a great breakdown of some things you guys probably didn't catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQ_VJX0BNo&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA&spfreload=10

This guy knows his stuff.

Great analysis as usual.

Jet1911: If people would be discredited by making a couple of mistakes, no one I have ever met would have much credibility. Its not that difficult to learn learn the manifestation of these techniques, since there is tons of information in circulation on the net. I find his technical analysis generally pretty insightful, he has a good eye for detail, and isn't jaded.

I see what you mean, for example, here are what I would assume are photoreferenced textures in Ryse in an oddly similar lighting condition!

I think the other factor to take into account there, is the cliff faces we're looking at in Uncharted, generally have to have artistic language attached to communicate handholds, which don't always look as realistic

Great analysis as usual.

Not really... he makes glaring mistakes and or pointless conjecture in almost every sentece. Tesselated waves? He doesn't know that. Adaptive tesselation? He doesnt know that.

POM? The only use of POM occurs when Nate jabs the rock face with the climbing implement... the normal textures are actually normal mapped.

Uncharted 1 was the first Sony game with HDR, Killzone 2 and 3 never had that.

GOW3 didn't have god rays, Uncharted 3 and TLOU did.

So no. ND incorporated more significant graphical effects into their games than any other studio in SCEWW.

The God of War engine's physics, alpha, and geometric detail was a light year ahead of their results. The Poseidon fight, Delphi temple scene, and Hekatonkheires opening crushed all the ideas they implemented into their games. SSM is top flight.

Not really... he makes glaring mistakes and or pointless conjecture in almost every sentece. Tesselated waves? He doesn't know that. Adaptive tesselation? He doesnt know that.

POM? The only use of POM occurs when Nate jabs the rock face with the climbing implement... the normal textures are actually normal mapped.

?? I am pretty sure they even said they were using that on character models. Also, what is wrong with some basic conjecture? He doesn't have the technical sheets to verify of course. On the flipside can you definitively falsify his claims? Can you back up your own claims sufficiently?

I am not sufficiently technically versed to say one way or the other in most cases. I admit he doesn't actually cite much proof in many of his assertions.

vpance

Kindly don't misunderstand me. The game looks phenomenal but it shows off its DNA more prominently than UC3. ND started shifting from that vivified oil painted look from U1 going to U2 and now there are more than subtle aspects that portray a return that art style. As such, I find comparisons with games whose art style overwhelmingly favour PBR, a touch moot.

Tis true. That art style hurts the visual impact a little especially when comparing against other games using high res photo textures, and more so now at 1080p. It's still beautiful and painterly but I'd like to see them switch to more traditional techniques for future games.

i-Lo

With regards to tessellation, ND have mentioned that they're using a custom silhouette tessellation solution for characters in UC4. Whether that's relegated to cutscenes and/or main characters are/is still unknown. If my eyes are to be trusted, I do believe that it's already in use during gameplay for Drake (judging from that trailer).

It will definitely be a boon for us when ND release their BTS videos as par for the course post launch.

With regards to tessellation, ND have mentioned that they're using a custom silhouette tessellation solution for characters in UC4. Whether that's relegated to cutscenes and/or main characters are/is still unknown. If my eyes are to be trusted, I do believe that it's already in use during gameplay for main Drake (judging from that trailer).

It will definitely be a boon for us when ND release their BTS videos as par for the course post launch.

BTS?

My main problem with him mentioning the adaptive tesselation even if the devs said they were looking into it in the past (on top of everything else) is that it is not a certain unless there is technical documentation talking about it specifically or there is obvious evidence of it. Rather, if you are talking about this stuff, you should work off and mention stuff that is evidenced before you (it is impossible to know whether the ocean is tesselated or just a moving mesh or whatever likewise with knowing whether the tesselation is adaptive, or whether it is tesselated at all). Otherwise, you are using conjecture!

BTS?

My main problem with him mentioning the adaptive tesselation even if the devs said they were looking into it in the past (on top of everything else) is that it is not a certain unless there is technical documentation talking about it specifically or there is obvious evidence of it. Rather, if you are talking about this stuff, you should work off and mention stuff that is evidenced before you (it is impossible to know whether the ocean is tesselated or just a moving mesh or whatever likewise with knowing whether the tesselation is adaptive, or whether it is tesselated at all). Otherwise, you are using conjecture!

Fair enough, I totally agree with this. I still think he has got a good eye for details however and does seem to understand some of his stuff. In fact he doesn't seem that different from a lot of guys in here, who seem to have a liberal sprinkling of technical knowledge, but not maybe high level experience with what they are talking about.

Honestly I don't know what you guys are babbling about. I think it's one of the best looking games ever; I didn't know there was some kind of contest going on to see which game looked the best.
When I saw the demo my jaw dropped further than Drake through the map.

vpance

Cliffs side by side

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-27145-2995_0008.jpg

15324970040_21d31e0e6etcqn.jpg

You can totally see the difference between painterly artist driven cliffs vs a more typical approach from most games. ND makes it work for them, but I wonder what an Uncharted with textures based on real photos and scanning would look like.

Honestly I don't know what you guys are babbling about. I think it's one of the best looking games ever; I didn't know there was some kind of contest going on to see which game looked the best.
When I saw the demo my jaw dropped further than Drake through the map.

Eh, I think it is a credit to how good the game actually looks when it garners this much back and forth. Honestly, in contrast to many other games, I don't think this game has any serious weaknesses visually. It looks like the total package, which is what ND are most famous for.

I think the pics above show just how coherent ND's visual approach is. Ryse looks great, but has less visual cohesion to me. I prefer the subtle lighting as well. Crytek seem to favour high contrast, which can be a bit jarring at times. Overall, two stunning looking games. Higher res shows Ryse as it should be.

Cliffs side by side

You can totally see the difference between painterly artist driven cliffs vs a more typical approach from most games. ND makes it work for them, but I wonder what an Uncharted with real photos and scanned textures would look like.

They are both really fantastic looking IMO.

Jigolo

BTS?

Lol I'm not a technical guy (so I had no idea what he was saying most the time) but I do agree he tended to throw out technical terms a bunch. He did catch some great detail though like Drake's brothers details and slowed down some sections. It's a good video.

i-Lo

BTS?

Behind The Scenes.

As for documentation, they did release it pertaining to the custom tessellation a while back. That said, I agree about documentation on the technologies powering the retail version of the game. Thus, it is inherently a post launch matter for discussion.

mrqs

My friend is at the "bringing Nathan Drake to PS4" panel and here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality).

B4TB2MmCUAAXQAL.jpg

B4TC1lsCUAMs-Jx.jpg

B4TDMuQCcAAKpoF.jpg

B4TDTSeCcAAatNk.jpg

B4TEFj_CcAA0naE.jpg

B4TESWQCYAAQaKN.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Cliffs side by side

You can totally see the difference between painterly artist driven cliffs vs a more typical approach from most games. ND makes it work for them, but I wonder what an Uncharted with textures based on real photos and scanning would look like.

honestly i vastly prefer UC4's style. That scene was my favorite part of the whole demo due to how painterly it looked, and the artists talent shined through so hard it was difficult not to gasp.

I looooves it

Superflat

My friend is at the "bringing Nathan Drake to PS4" panel and here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality).

B4TB2MmCUAAXQAL.jpg

B4TDMuQCcAAKpoF.jpg

B4TDTSeCcAAatNk.jpg

That is one handsome motherfucker. Even surpasses the UC2 model in hotness!

The side by side is especially nuts. UC3 Drake looks like a cartoony avatar of the "life version" (UC4).

Here are some info too:

NaughtyDog said that "a considerable time" has passed between UC3 and 4.

"Every single hair moves with wind and water. Hair has true physics, can get wet, move around the head as you run..."

Drake on PS4 has 800 facial combinations. Drake on PS3 had only 120. There's a video down below.

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/TheGhostSix/view/17629724

Lovely.

i-Lo

On the topic of newly unveiled Drake, I speculate that we will play as him at different times of his life (unless that picture depicts the same age for Drake as in the trailer, judging by his same attire); another nod to TLoU.

Top Bottom