• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
B50DDuhIIAEtP6v.jpg

So is this for realz? Twitter guy claims to have made Destiny free in the Store, another guy posts screenshot of Destiny being free on the Store.

Who would want the PS3 version of Destiny for free?

What is this website actually?

Does this show the PSN attacks or is something else?

http://map.ipviking.com/

It is a real-time representation of a company's darknet, or network telescope.

What companies like Norse that specialize in DDoS mitigation do, is they throw out a lot of honeypot servers, all around the world, all pretending to be tasty things for hackers to try and get into. These servers also report back any kind of mass-attack (since DDoS attacks spam an entire IP range, not just one specific IP), acting as a kind of early-warning system. It's not unlike buoys out at sea that report weather conditions, which can alert people early to an incoming storm or typhoon.

The map you're looking at, is only a small visual representation of things these virtual sensors around the internet are seeing. This is the kind of data companies like Norse use to alert their customers to incoming attacks, what kind of attacks they are, and then a plan is formed on how to try and mitigate it. Usually, the plan involves the company being attacked routing all their traffic through the mitigation service, which then acts as a scrubber/filter. This video shows that part in action: www.dailymotion.com/video/x14r6yg_prolexic-in-action-mitigating-a-160-gbps-ddos-attack_newsZ

There is currently no attack on PSN (as far as we know), and the Norse map isn't 100% accurate, it only shows a very basic, regional/national picture of things unfolding. So while the US shows a lot of attacks coming in from botnets in China, it's unknown where those attacks are aiming. Yesterday, because of issues with PSN/XBL, it was pretty obvious the attacks were aimed at those services (though causation doesn't always imply correlation, or something).

Hope that helps a bit.

I am telling you many here all wishful thinking about this have no idea that perhaps this is worst than they assumed.

All i hear is blah blah is DDoS whatever its nothing blah blah, we have no idea the damage done already and how others could of got into this mess for attention.

Never trust Joeki11a regarding matters of..matters!

ironcreed

Banned
I am telling you many here all wishful thinking about this have no idea that perhaps this is worst than they assumed.

All i hear is blah blah is DDoS whatever its nothing blah blah, we have no idea the damage done already and how others could of got into this mess for attention.

I am starting think it may end up being worse than we know as well. But I sure as hell hope not.

CREMSteve

Lol PSN and the store are down and people are getting Destiny for free via the store? Just think about that logically for a second. Plus it sure as hell wouldnt be done dkwnloading immediately.

People are playing the game with him and trolling tons of people.

PSN is NOT down. DDoS attack simply makes it very difficult to sign in. Many people have been online throughout the past 48 hours.

You can still watch people streaming online gameplay. Example:

http://www.twitch.tv/kinslayer009

gogogow

???? What are you talking about?> I am talking about that twitter post saying they rooted PSn and giving away free games, not them being down.

I'm saying a lot of people knows about this now, because it has been on the news and obviously people will be following it. They will be asking what this lizardsquad is and will google it or whatever. They don't deserve the atttention, but humans are curious creatures.

Darknight

How are so many people supposedly getting free games when psn is down.

Its down for most PSN users but some can still connect here and there. I've read some people in my area have been able to but I havent for the past 1-2 days. So some lucky dudes have/can and if there is an exploit on the store, those few can take advantage of that.

I'm saying a lot of people knows about this now, because it has been on the news and obviously people will be following it. They will be asking what this lizardsquad is and will google it or whatever. They don't deserve the atttention, but humans are curious creatures.

Im saying no one will know about the fake twitter post...we are not talking about the same thing. No one will even know about that tweet,

Its down for most PSN users but some can still connect here and there. I've read some people in my area have been able to but I havent for the past 1-2 days. So some lucky dudes have/can and if there is an exploit on the store, those few can take advantage of that.

Some have been on the store and no games are free......................

Kayant

PSN has been down nearly 48 hours and we havent heard shit from Sony since it first happened.

Almost exactly the events of the 2010 hack all over again.

I wonder if the network was actually compromised.....

Sonys lack of communication here is worrying

Same happened with the last big ddos attack nothing came of that. Also as people pointed out they have been posting updates.

Also the free game thing is likely BS especially with the attention seeking following nonesense attached to it.

PSN has been down nearly 48 hours and we havent heard shit from Sony since it first happened.

Has Microsoft made any open statements about XBL being down?

Copen

Banned
Isn't Destiny cross-buy? So if that dude had previously bought the digital version on PS4, the PS3 version would appear as 'free.'

It's bullshit.

Exactly. It's bullshit. Besides what good is it making games free if the network at large is either down for most or not fully operational?

Do you follow Sony on twitter? they have been posting updates there.

Death2494

Same happened with the last big ddos attack nothing came of that. Also as people pointed out they have been posting updates.

Also the free game thing is likely BS especially with the attention seeking following nonesense attached to it.

Normally I would agree but I have had access to the PSN store via PS3 all day. Now I can't access it anymore. No joke.

Rixa

PSVita store is not working anymore. Says I need to sign on. Seems that Iam not anymore signed in PSN with Vita :/.

Top Bottom