• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I didn't follow this thread for long, and I've missed quite many pages. Can someone remind me what the point of this thread is? I thought it was made to compare graphics of different racing games? Instead, what I see here is that people keep talking about DC and trying to insult to each other :|

Corine

But you're not.

This is the comment you replied to:

This was your reply:

The image is spruced up (better IQ). The car models are not. They are identical. Which is what Benzy was saying, and is what is 100% true.

You are wrong. Deal with it and stop embarrassing yourself.

So now you're trying to tell me the car models aren't part of the image getting spruced up with better IQ and shadows? Really? Stop embarrassing yourself.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry I don't take orders from random internet posters. Thanks for your attention though.

I'm not giving orders to anyone, but at some point willingly doubling, tripling down on something that you and the entire thread knows is completely off-base will end you up with a greyed out tag.

I get that it's real difficult to admit that you interpreted the post wrong, so maybe it's better to just let it go already.

Edit: quadruple, even.

I feel like you're making too big a deal about this.

Real-time:
10904457_10155023404025626_2780168808764900531_o.jpg

Photo-mode enhanced:
10497864_10155023405050626_4424251797933049098_o.jpg

Real-time:
10872941_10155023390805626_3947812106955672076_o.jpg

Photo-mode enhanced:
10917207_10155023392285626_8042178182223960406_o.jpg

Look at those shots.

Then look at this comment:

Nope it's definitely them. They're trying to say that those photomode shots are how they look ingame when that's not true. I know because I've played DC and the cars don't look nearly as good as the photomode shots. IQ and shadows has a lot to do with that.

Lol.

So now you're trying to tell me the car models aren't part of the image getting spruced up with better IQ and shadows? Really? Stop embarrassing yourself.

That is exactly what I'm telling you, and it's a fact. Car models are identical in both modes. Nothing you can say (or the amount of times you say it) can change that fact.

you guys are wasting your time with the warrior. he goes on and on about DC photomode stupossedly looking vastly better, yet tries to pass this off as a representation of what pcars actually looks like

project-cars-screen-9.jpg

when we all know it actually looks like this

LSeYiDj.png

hes already been shown 10 to 15 comparison shots showing how minor the differences between photomode and gameplay are in DC.

You can't see the photomode shots look better? The shadows alone in those second pics.....

But shadows aren't part of the car model...the comment you initially replied to said that car models are identical in-game and in photo-mode, he didn't say that the IQ of car models are identical in the two modes, which is what you are having trouble differentiating between.

---------------

Holy fucking shit, do the environments in PC really look that bad? ^^^^

Is that max settings?

I know exactly how to differentiate between them and I never once said they didn't use the same amount of polys and such. I said they look better in photomode which I'm 100% right about. This is a thread about real time graphics and photomode has no place in it.

They look better on photomode because of the extra AA and better shadows. But in no way this substantially improves the look of the models as you are insinuating or change the purpose of what was being discussed before your insightful intervention...

When I wash and wax my car it looks much better than before but guess what its the same car...

Jesus...

you guys are wasting your time with the warrior. he goes on and on about DC photomode stupossedly looking vastly better, yet tries to pass this off as a representation of what pcars actually looks like

project-cars-screen-9.jpg

when we all know it actually looks like this

LSeYiDj.png

hes already been shown 10 to 15 comparison shots showing how minor the differences between photomode and gameplay are in DC.

You seem pretty bitter that pCARS looks and has better IQ than DC... that's what I'm getting from this.

Corine

But shadows aren't part of the car model...the comment you initially replied to said that car models are identical in-game and in photo-mode, he didn't say that the IQ of car models are identical in the two modes, which is what you are having trouble differentiating between.

---------------

Is that max settings?

I never said they weren't identical models. I said they look better in photomode and that it's not real time. Which I'm right.

---------------

Is that max settings?

the poster refused to comment on what gpu or settings it was taken at, but he feels pcars is the best looking racer and posted this to back it up, so these arent some cherry picked screens i searched for. theres more on pages 45 and 46. this is a good representation of the environments and asset quality on average tho when you dont have shots with everything except the car hidden or massively blurred out.

2ECOoEw.png

2KPCaZV.png

2655657-7963785150-B2pVX.jpg

10630258035_c8df478f8e_k.jpg

14529152733_68070a9b15_k.jpg

Loofy

I never said they weren't identical models. I said they look better in photomode and that it's not real time. Which I'm right.
Then you shouldnt have responded at all. He was responding to a poster about car models. And theyre the same in photomode and realtime.

But you did. You said they were "spruced up" in photo-mode in direct reply to Benzy saying that car models are identical in both modes. The models themselves aren't spruced up. That is 100% false. Do I need to post your comment again?

You can't even keep up with what you did and didn't say. Just stop. How embarrassing. Saying "I'm right" doesn't make you right, you actually have to be right. And you aren't.

Corine

But you did. You said they were "spruced up" in photo-mode in direct reply to Benzy saying that car models are identical in both modes. The models themselves aren't spruced up. Do I need to post your comment again?

You can't even keep up with what you did and didn't say. Just stop. How embarrassing. Saying "I'm right" doesn't make you right, you actually have to be right. And you aren't.

They are spruced up with better IQ and shadowing just like I said.

Nicktendo86

Was so happy to find this thread the other day, was so looking forward to lovely images and insightful analysis. How fucking disappointing.

Nah, this takes the cake.

It's hilarious that he say's that people are posting pCARS pics that look like such and such, and then posts a great looking picture...then posts 'when it really looks like this:' and posts an obviously bland shitty pic... when in pCARS to take pics you literally de-couple the camera and can fly around the entire environment. No stupid supersampling or added/increased effects...

bu but that's not what the game really looks like...

lol yes it is.

No, the IQ of the car models, and the whole image itself, is spruced up...the MODELS THEMSELVES aren't. They are identical in both modes. None of the assets for the car models are changed in either mode.

Jesus fucking Christ...I feel like I'm explaining this to a toddler.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Noobcraft

Are there any current gen racers that actually swap car models out for higher poly models in Photomode this gen? Forza 5 has autovista but that's not the same. Driveclub does do a bit in photomode (lots of AA passes, softer shadows, slightly more refined lighting on foliage)

Photo mode before added IQ:
driveclub_201501031101ou9k.jpg

Photo mode after added IQ:
driveclub_20150103110tzu89.jpg

Corine

It's hilarious that he say's that people are posting pCARS pics that look like such and such, and then posts a great looking picture...then posts 'when it really looks like this:' and posts an obviously bland shitty pic... when in pCARS to take pics you literally de-couple the camera and can fly around the entire environment. No stupid supersampling or added/increased effects...

bu but that's not what the game really looks like...

lol yes it is.

He also said that Forza 5 looks better than Project Cars so it's pretty easy to see where he stands.

Majanew

Banned

But that reply has nothing to do with the fact that the car models are exactly the same and that is what was being discussed. Your "spruced up" was a reply about the difference of CAR MODELS in-game vs photomode. You are wrong.

nOoblet16

Driveclub actually does switches models between gameplay and photomode but it's subtle enough that people don't notice it. But it is completely false when people say the gameplay model and photomode model are exactly the same. The game switches to a higher LOD model as soon as you go into photomode, even when you do not apply any processing.

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

Open the images side by side and flip between gameplay and photomode to see the changes. Image credit goes to Karamazov on Beyond3D.
How do you explain this difference other than model swapping ?

EDIT: Note that in Time trial mode the poly count is the highest out of any game mode and close to the photomode.

PC has great car models, arguably the best, but the rest of the game looks pretty bland and lifeless imo. The environments especially look really bad. Full of low-poly, ugly assets and textures.

Noobcraft

Driveclub actually does switches models between gameplay and photomode but it's subtle enough that people don't notice it. But it is completely false when people say the gameplay model and photomode model are exactly the same. The game switches to a higher LOD model as soon as you go into photomode, even when you do not apply any processing.
I stand corrected.

Driveclub actually DOES switches models between gameplay and photomode but it's subtle enough that people don't notice it. But it is completely false when people say the gameplay model and photomode model are exactly the same. The game switches to a higher LOD model as soon as you go into photomode, even when you do not apply any processing.

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

Open the images side by side and flip between gameplay and photomode to see the changes. Image credit goes to Karamazov on Beyond3D.
Is this real? Cause yeah, there is a noticable difference.
But why? Wouldn't this be weird?

Majanew

Banned

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

Now those show a difference in geometry. So the car models are different. That's what was needed; not a talk of IQ/shadows.

Haha these last pages have been super entertaining.

Nice windscreen wipers on the low lod model btw

OT: pcars has clearly better car models, but the environments are pretty sucky often. I hope they work on them a lot before release.
The cloud system and day/night cycle is awesome though in project cars

nOoblet16

Keep in mind that in Time trial mode the poly count is the highest out of any game mode and close to the photomode.

Is this real? Cause yeah, there is a noticable difference.
But why? Wouldn't this be weird?
Well unless one has access to the game's files they can't change the poly count of the cars to fake it.
And why would it be weird ? The difference is usually seen in the interior and in areas which are the last place people focus while driving.

psn

You seem pretty bitter that pCARS looks and has better IQ than DC... that's what I'm getting from this.

I wouldn't be able to reproduce that shot but... even if it would look like this all the time (and it doesn't, trust me) it would only prove that it has a better IQ. Nothing else for me.

Both shots in ultra settings, no DS, just 1080p:
etrTzp.jpg

RankoSD

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

This is normal, it switches the LOD but it still runs in real time.

HTupolev

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

Karamazov has definitely noted before that photomode lowers LOD in multi-car races (which typically use a high LOD in gameplay to save on performance). He's attributed photomode framerate hitches in multi-car races to that phenomenon.

I wonder if those were a time trial or a race.

Loofy

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

Wow thats a pretty big difference actually.

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

The AA is much better in photo mode too.

Well unless I have access to the game's files I can't change the poly count of the cars to fake it.

And why would it be weird ? The difference is usually seen in the interior and in areas which are the last place people focus while driving.
I don't know. That's why i'm asking :p. I'm in no way suggesting you staged this.

Proof?

gameplay:

photo mode:

That is a bigger difference than I thought it was tbh. And people talk about pCARS looking bland...

Lol, one poorly worded comment and and everybody is on the man's tail.

Oh, and the detail of the models do change between photomode and realtime? Even better! _O-

nOoblet16

Did Karamazov ever say that those particular series of images was a photomode thing? He explicitly called that series of images "random LOD switching."

That said, he's definitely noted that photomode lowers LOD in multi-car races (which typically use a high LOD in gameplay to save on performance). He's attributed photomode framerate hitches in multi-car races to that phenomenon.
I think you switched high and low in there.

And yes he did

"How many of you have noticed that car detail in DC switches to high lod from gamplay to photo mode ?"

But he also said that time trial mode has the highest poly count for player car out of any game mode.

I said that regarding it's environments. I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment.

A lot of these tracks ARE actually quite bland in real life. The thing about DC is that the environments look like clay half the time and have that added benefit of being 'based on and taken inspiration from real life regions around the world.' So they take a lot of liberties that racers based on real life racing tracks which need to be licensed and thus sadly don't really sport all the gorgeous vistas/eye candy that the DC devs throw in to make their game look good.

nOoblet16

This is normal, it switches the LOD but it still runs in real time.

Yes but if it was possible to run it at full LOD in gameplay it would have been running it. But since it isn't it can only be attributed to performance reasons. The argument was that the game has the exact same models ingame as the ones you see in the photomode photos.

So it depends on which mode is used for showing car models in photomode? That's why some models are identical and some not?

I don't think it's ever "identical" but I can't say for sure. I don't have the time to check it out myself, I'll probably drop a message to Karamazov on Beyond3D asking about it.

A lot of these tracks ARE actually quite bland in real life. The thing about DC is that the environments look like clay half the time and have that added benefit of being 'based on and taken inspiration from real life regions around the world.' So they take a lot of liberties that racers based on real life racing tracks which need to be licensed and thus sadly don't really sport all the gorgeous vistas/eye candy that the DC devs throw in to make their game look good.

I don't mean bland in a real life sorta way, I mean it from a technical perspective. It looks bland because a lot of the textures and assets are crappy. However Evo handled the environments in DC is irrelevant to me, the end-product looks better, and less bland, in my eyes.

I don't think PC needs gorgeous vistas or anything for me to class its environments as not bland, just improved environmental assets.

I don't mean bland in a real life sorta way, I mean it from a technical perspective. It looks bland because a lot of the textures and assets are crappy. However Evo handled the environments in DC is irrelevant to me, the end-product looks better, and less bland, in my eyes.

Yea... well this looks bland to me... and not even close to realistic.

driveclub_20150103110tzu89.jpg

Look at those...hills... or whatever they're supposed to be? Looks terrible.

Top Bottom